New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    As I understand it, you download the game but can't actually play it until it comes out. You gain the benefit of not having to wait for the install.
    Not quite. I've pre-ordered, but there's no pre-download YET. They say we'll get an email about a week before release letting us know we can download it, though. Downloading apparently can be done via Beamdog's client or without it.

Also, you get 2 bucks off and a forum badge, if that matters to you.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Not quite. I've pre-ordered, but there's no pre-download YET. They say we'll get an email about a week before release letting us know we can download it, though. Downloading apparently can be done via Beamdog's client or without it.

Also, you get 2 bucks off and a forum badge, if that matters to you.
    I think I'll still preorder, then. My luck being my luck, I'll travel at September 17th. I don't know if I will be able to actually play it in the company's computer but hope is the last one to die...

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

(sorry if this has been asked already)

Why is the Windows version ~$20 while the iPad version is ~$10? I was flipping back and forth between the two, then decided on the Windows version until I saw that. Is the iPad version somehow inferior?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post

Why is the Windows version ~$20 while the iPad version is ~$10? I was flipping back and forth between the two, then decided on the Windows version until I saw that. Is the iPad version somehow inferior?
    It may be because iPad apps tend to be far cheaper than PC games, so people are willing to spend less on them.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

5. - Top - End - #305

20 dollars for an ipad app would make it one of the most expensive apps out there for games. 20 dollars is pretty cheap for a computer game though. In realitity, there's no reason that the PC version is better. This actually happens a lot.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    It may be because iPad apps tend to be far cheaper than PC games, so people are willing to spend less on them.
    The iPad version also lacks a lot of the Extended Edition extras, like two of the three new NPCs. To get the whole package, the price should be roughly the same.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it is supposed to be 20 vs 16 (as each NPC was said to cost 3$) $

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    In reality, there's no reason that the PC version is better. This actually happens a lot.
    As PCs have larger screens, and with Enhanced Edition supporting greater resolutions, I'd say there's an (if slight) advantage there. Not to mention that the mouse is way superior to that stupid touch screen gimmick. Ahem.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    The iPad version also lacks a lot of the Extended Edition extras, like two of the three new NPCs. To get the whole package, the price should be roughly the same.
    Now *this* is what I'm interested in. Do you have a source for this? I couldn't find the specifics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Now *this* is what I'm interested in. Do you have a source for this? I couldn't find the specifics.
    The BGEE website. The wild mage, blackguard, additional voice sets, and portraits are all listed as "in-app purchases". If I were a betting man, my money would say that this was an effort to minimize the initial download size (disc space is at a higher premium with tablets than PCs) and normalize the price of the game. The prices for the additions are probably $3, $3, $2, $2, adding up to the same $20 total.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-08-15 at 11:17 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #311

The BGEE website. The wild mage, blackguard, additional voice sets, and portraits are all listed as "in-app purchases". If I were a betting man, my money would say that this was an effort to minimize the initial download size (disc space is at a higher premium with tablets than PCs) and normalize the price of the game. The prices for the additions are probably $3, $3, $2, $2, adding up to the same $20 total.
    Ahh. Perfect, thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #312

Two questions:

1) Any information if they'll be adding kits to the NPC's?

2) What are you going to go for your main? In BGII anyways I almost always did something like kensage. Maybe I'll go pure caster this time. Or melee cleric. Hmm... then again I don't know AD&D very well.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Two questions:

1) Any information if they'll be adding kits to the NPC's?

2) What are you going to go for your main? In BGII anyways I almost always did something like kensage. Maybe I'll go pure caster this time. Or melee cleric. Hmm... then again I don't know AD&D very well.
    1) The only explicitly advertised new kit that they've mentioned is the Blackguard kit that Dorn Il-Khan has. Having that character (tablets won't by default) makes the kit available to players as well.

Neera is a wild mage and Rasaad is a monk, so we don't get much out of those two beyond evidence that the kits and classes available in Throne of Bhaal will be available here.

2) I really don't have much of a choice here. There's only one character who can stand as my first bhaalspawn - Calemyr the swashbuckler. Don't know what changes they're making to the kits, though, specifics beyond that are still foggy. Figure my party will be Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Neera, and Rasaad. No good healing in that party, which is a problem, but Rasaad and Minsc should be able to fake it in a pinch.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Colossus in the Playground

I understood danzibr's first question to mean: Do we know if (say) Kivan will be an archer, Safana an assassin-or-something, Khalid a berserker (heh), or all the NPCs who were originally in BG1 will still be kitless?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

2) I really don't have much of a choice here. There's only one character who can stand as my first bhaalspawn - Calemyr the swashbuckler. Don't know what changes they're making to the kits, though, specifics beyond that are still foggy. Figure my party will be Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Neera, and Rasaad. No good healing in that party, which is a problem, but Rasaad and Minsc should be able to fake it in a pinch.
    Are they're making any changes at all to the kits? I don't remember any mention of this sort of thing.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how far they're allowed to go with things like this, but they better change some things.
    Like, the Monk in general, and the Totemic Druid's summons.

(Druids could be very strong in EE anyway, seeing how fast they gain levels initially. I mean, they did raise the XP cap, if I remember correctly, and if they raised it by an actually meaningful amount, you're very likely to be able to send out a Fire Elemental later on. I was able to do that in a Trilogy game once and it wasn't pretty.)

Also don't know if they can give existing recruitables kits. They aren't allowed to change their dialogue, after all.

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I understood danzibr's first question to mean: Do we know if (say) Kivan will be an archer, Safana an assassin-or-something, Khalid a berserker (heh), or all the NPCs who were originally in BG1 will still be kitless?
    Right, exactly what I mean. With all the kits we have now in BG1, it seems a shame to have every single NPC other than the originals be kitless...
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

On that note, Shadowkeeper might just work with EE, assuming it's a straight engine port (from one version of Infinity to the other) at its core. So you could possibly just give the NPCs kits with no trouble at all, using an editor that's already available.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-17 at 07:38 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

We don't know what they're fixing/changing. They're definitely making kits available (Il-Kahn and Neera are evidence of this, and BG2 features were listed as a selling point) but I, at least, haven't seen anything regarding what they're doing to the other NPCs. It's doubtful they'll have much freedom to change much in the way of plot or pre-existing characters, because IP Owner meddling was a major reason Bioware apparently had for shifting to their own internal Intellectual Properties.

The fixes that are listed on their page that caught my eye were these:
    * Code improvements (better performance)
    * Hand drawn cinematics rather than dated CG.
    * "All of the additions and improvements from Baldur's Gate 2"
    * "Now you can use class kits, new subraces, and classes that were previously unavailable."

That last one is interesting to me. Subraces? Like drow, wild elves, gold dwarves, ghostfoot halflings, tieflings, and aasimar? That would be something I've only seen implemented in one mod (other than Viconia and Haer'Dalis, of course). It would be interesting. But since that's a completely new feature, that suggests that it's possible we'll see kits and classes we've never seen before either.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-08-17 at 07:38 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

20. - Top - End - #320

Just pre-ordered it!

Maybe I'll go evil this time... never did before.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #321

RangerGuy

Ugh, I still can't fully decide on a class. I've only completed BG1 with a fighter and a ranger, and that was ages ago.

I am both intrigued and frightened of the Kensai due to his advantages and "no armor" rule. I've never played it in BG2. Is it a practical option for BG1?

I'll probably go with an Inquisitor, for the sake of recreating Keldorn's awesomeness. I am also tempted to just make a superhuman half-orc barbarian ragemonster, but isn't the half-orc excluded from the romance subplots of BG2?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Ugh, I still can't fully decide on a class. I've only completed BG1 with a fighter and a ranger, and that was ages ago.

I am both intrigued and frightened of the Kensai due to his advantages and "no armor" rule. I've never played it in BG2. Is it a practical option for BG1?
    While I do not, of course, know what BGEE will do, I would not want to play a BG2-not-EE-style kensai at BG1 levels.
    I'll probably go with an Inquisitor, for the sake of recreating Keldorn's awesomeness. I am also tempted to just make a superhuman half-orc barbarian ragemonster, but isn't the half-orc excluded from the romance subplots of BG2?
    A male half-orc is eligible for the Viconia romance. Only. As a male gnome is eligible for the Aerie romance only.

Don't complain if Kangaxx imprisons your barbarian; all rumors to the contrary aside, the game never claims Barbarian Rage makes you immune to Imprisonment.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-08-19 at 08:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

While I do not, of course, know what BGEE will do, I would not want to play a BG2-not-EE-style kensai at BG1 levels.

A male half-orc is eligible for the Viconia romance. Only. As a male gnome is eligible for the Aerie romance only.

Don't complain if Kangaxx imprisons your barbarian; all rumors to the contrary aside, the game never claims Barbarian Rage makes you immune to Imprisonment.
    Strangely, the game claims Minsc's rage does make you immune. But I haven't tried it.

24. - Top - End - #324

I don't know if Minsc's rage does or not. I...do not remember the description of it saying it does.

Berserker Enrage does make you immune to Imprisonment; each of the three functions differently.

25. - Top - End - #325

Griffon

My first successful play through was with a Sorcerer, and by the time I reached Chapter 3 of BG2 I was more or less solo-ing everything that wasn't a Dragon or a Magic Elemental. So I won't be going down that route again if only for variety (lots of fun, though!)

Second play through was as a Fighter 8/Druid X dual-classed Human, because I'm a munchkin. Then I *did* solo Dragons and Magic Elementals. And several Bhaalspawn. Including that idiot Monk guy who was billed as the 'last boss' if you were utterly unable to see lampshades all over the place.

So, I think that the Extended Edition is my opportunity to finally live out my dream of a Dwarven Cleric that dual-wields Warhammers.
    I don't know why this has always appealed to me, it's just one of those things that I see in my head as being hilarious.... Although possibly also because I still haven't given up hope on the Mazzy Romance mod eventually seeing the light of day....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

Pre-ordered \o/ Let's hope I can download it before I have to get on a chopper.

As of now, I've played Baldur's Gate I with a Human Fighter and with a Half-elf Ranger/Cleric. Not sure what I'll try now. I tried Tutu with an Elf Stalker and it was pretty cool (though I never finished it), maybe I'll just do that again.
    BG II I've done several times as a Swashbuckler, once as a Fighter/Thief and once as a Ranger/Cleric.
    Maybe I'll try a Blade.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if Minsc's rage does or not. I...do not remember the description of it saying it does.

Berserker Enrage does make you immune to Imprisonment; each of the three functions differently.
    No, it was one of the loading screens. It says Minsc and (the Dwarf)'s rage makes them immune. I'd not sure if Minsc does, but I know the Dwarf's does.

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    No, it was one of the loading screens. It says Minsc and (the Dwarf)'s rage makes them immune. I'd not sure if Minsc does, but I know the Dwarf's does.
    'The dwarf'? Korgan Bloodaxe might dig out yer organs with his axe if he heard you referring to him simply as 'the dwarf'.
    ~ZA

29. - Top - End - #329

"The bibulous dwarf," then.

I...don't have all the loading screens memorized, but I sure don't remember one saying Minsc becomes immune to Imprisonment. Again, if it says "Berserker Enrage grants immunity to Imprisonment*," that is not a statement about Minsc. (Or about barbarians.)

*Or even "Enrage grants immunity to Imprisonment." Three separate powers: Rage, something Barbarians have, characterized by stat boosts and not losing the gained hit points afterwards. Enrage, something Berserkers have, characterized by a ton of immunities. And Berserk, something Minsc has, characterized by causing him to slaughter his companions.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

"The bibulous dwarf," then.

I...don't have all the loading screens memorized, but I sure don't remember one saying Minsc becomes immune to Imprisonment. Again, if it says "Berserker Enrage grants immunity to Imprisonment*," that is not a statement about Minsc. (Or about barbarians.)

*Or even "Enrage grants immunity to Imprisonment." Three separate powers: Rage, something Barbarians have, characterized by stat boosts and not losing the gained hit points afterwards. Enrage, something Berserkers have, characterized by a ton of immunities. And Berserk, something Minsc has, characterized by causing him to slaughter his companions.
    The forum here says Minsc Berserk does prevent Imprisonment.
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/th...erserk.106546/