New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

...Really? When I just read that thread it said the opposite.

(To be clear, I see one person saying, '"berserk, the character cannot be stopped", so I imagine general stun, fear, domination immunity.
    don't know if this goes without saying, so I'll say it anyway ;) it also gives a hit point boost, which is lost when the berserk ends (yes also killing the character if it takes him below 1 hit point).
    also remember that Korgan has this ability, so he also makes for a good demi-lich killer.'

So, one person who is imagining based on a description, quite possibly the description of Korgan's Enrage since s/he apparently thinks Minsc and Korgan have the same ability.

And I see one person saying, "I can tell you with certainty that Minsc's berserk *did not* protect against imprisonment when I fought Kangaxx. I don't know why, because I even have Baldurdash installed, but I watched as poor Minsc and Boo disappeared into the ground. "

So, one person who actually tested whether Minsc's Berserk conveys immunity to Imprisonment, and got the answer No.)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Say, there's one thing I've forgotten to check up on: Will the EE use the weapon proficiency system from BG2? And if so, will they be adding more magical weapons to make all the proficiencies viable?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

3. - Top - End - #333
    Banned

They are using the Throne of Bhaal engine, correcting problems in the code, improving graphics, fixing typos and adding extra content.
    Old content is not going to be altered. So yeah, it will use proficiencies. We will certainly get new magical weapons in the extra quests.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    will they be adding more magical weapons to make all the proficiencies viable?
    Most likely yes.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. The Twitter message says "new kits". I guess it means there will be more new kits other than the Blackguard. I hope they're good.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Hm. The Twitter message says "new kits". I guess it means there will be more new kits other than the Blackguard. I hope they're good.
    Don't think so. They mentioned 'new subraces' as well, but have already said in the forums it's only the half-orc.
    When they say 'new kits', I think it's because BG1 has no kits. The only confirmed kit is Antipaladin and I don't think we'll be seeing any other.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope they don't bloat the game with even more items. If they remove some to add in more, that's one thing, but just adding more would cause problems, I think.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    I hope they don't bloat the game with even more items. If they remove some to add in more, that's one thing, but just adding more would cause problems, I think.
    BG1's items tend not to be particularly high-power (with a couple of exceptions) so as long as it's just making sure there are some magic weapons of all classes available I doubt it would be much of a problem.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

If they add the weapon proficiencies of BG2 to make the transition more seamless, they have to add at least a few options for characters that specialize in those weapons. How much would it suck to pick a proficiency during creation only to discover that there's not a single weapon of that type in the game? Katanas may have been the only actually new weapon to be added, but I recall a lot of other groups from the original game being split up into different categories, and there will be a lot of underrepresented categories unless they put in some new things.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    If they add the weapon proficiencies of BG2 to make the transition more seamless, they have to add at least a few options for characters that specialize in those weapons. How much would it suck to pick a proficiency during creation only to discover that there's not a single weapon of that type in the game? Katanas may have been the only actually new weapon to be added, but I recall a lot of other groups from the original game being split up into different categories, and there will be a lot of underrepresented categories unless they put in some new things.
    Wakizashi and Ninja-to were also added in BG2. Scimitars were brought in with Tales of the Sword Coast, but I don't think they gained their own profficiency until BG2 (so the small number of them in TotSC wasn't that major at the time).

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Scimitars were brought in with Tales of the Sword Coast
    Tales of the Sword Coast added Drizzt to a wilderness area nowhere near the TotSC areas?

I'm skeptical.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Tales of the Sword Coast added Drizzt to a wilderness area nowhere near the TotSC areas?

I'm skeptical.
    Scimitar as an available type of weapon, rather than just the things one NPC was carrying.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2012-08-27 at 04:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Banned

Since they're stated plenty of times that they are using the engine from Throne of Bhaal, I'm convinced it will use those weapon proficiencies instead of the ones in BG1.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Well, they're also adding specialized equipment for kits BG1 didn't have, ie: headbands for monks, things like that.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Wakizashi and Ninja-to were also added in BG2.
    Right, but they use the same proficiency as scimitars, don't they? I suppose I should have worded it better - I meant new weapon types that didn't have a preexisting proficiency in BG1 when I mentioned katana.
    Scimitars were brought in with Tales of the Sword Coast, but I don't think they gained their own profficiency until BG2 (so the small number of them in TotSC wasn't that major at the time).
    I thought that I'd played a game of BG before getting TotSC installed at one point, but I know that Winthrop has always had scimitars available... OTOH, that explains the dearth of magical scimitars until really late in the game (unless you kill Drizzt)...
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Right, but they use the same proficiency as scimitars, don't they? I suppose I should have worded it better - I meant new weapon types that didn't have a preexisting proficiency in BG1 when I mentioned katana.
    Katanas in BG1 would go under Large Sword with the other bigger-than-a-short-sword sword-shaped weapons.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

it's just a shame they didn't want to re-write the entire game to use Icewind Dale 2's version of d&d... I enjoyed feats and those few skills. Made it interesting, yet manageable. And then there was NWN and sequel which just blew it all out of proportion killing any fun I could've had with it... although I suppose not having 6 characters and not being able to summon 5 demons played a hand in that as well. I guess I'm just picky.

Maybe this'll kick up more interest in completing the IWG mod!

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by kingshivan View Post
    it's just a shame they didn't want to re-write the entire game to use Icewind Dale 2's version of d&d... I enjoyed feats and those few skills. Made it interesting, yet manageable. And then there was NWN and sequel which just blew it all out of proportion killing any fun I could've had with it... although I suppose not having 6 characters and not being able to summon 5 demons played a hand in that as well. I guess I'm just picky.

Maybe this'll kick up more interest in completing the IWG mod!
    I think Icewind Dale used 3.0 whereas Baldurs Gate was AD&D. I personally much prefer the rulesets employed in the Baldurs Gate Series, but it's just personal preference. I also don't quite understand what you mean by blowing it out of proportion. I think Neverwinter Nights had a weak story and too much hack and slash that just didn't keep me entertained. I thoroughly enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2 though 3.5 is my favorite in Pencil and Paper so I might be a bit biased.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    I think Icewind Dale used 3.0 whereas Baldurs Gate was AD&D. I personally much prefer the rulesets employed in the Baldurs Gate Series, but it's just personal preference. I also don't quite understand what you mean by blowing it out of proportion. I think Neverwinter Nights had a weak story and too much hack and slash that just didn't keep me entertained. I thoroughly enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2 though 3.5 is my favorite in Pencil and Paper so I might be a bit biased.
    Didn't nwn have a lot more skills to choose where to put points into, and a lot more feats and such? I was just thinking it got needlessly complicated at that point, whereas the AD&D of BG was too simple (literally all you chose was weapon proficiencies and spells if your character had them). IWD2 was a good in-between I thought, although maybe I'm remembering it wrong... it's been a while since I tried nwn. At any rate, I was just trying to say I wished they'd have used IWD2's ruleset.

I guess I'll just have to console myself with attempting to roll the highest stats possible in BG's attribute allocation setup...

Yes, you can all safely ignore my opinions, for I am a powerplayer (and because I only ever knew D&D through Baldur's Gate, which actually makes almost every technical joke in oots accessible to non-table-top players)

20. - Top - End - #350
    Banned

Did you guys see the details on the new Blackguard kit?

Fighter kit
    Must be evil.
    Immune to level drain and fear.
    Can specialize in any weapon (2 slots)
    Can use any armor, wear any armor
    Absorb Health (Level 1) ability to heal self quickly: Absorbs 2hp from enemy per level of Blackguard. Save vs Magic.
    Can Turn Undead (Rebuke) as Paladin of same level.
    Can use poison weapon 1x every 5 levels.
    Can use Aura of Despair. Once per day ability that varies with level: 2nd: Gives enemies -1 to hit, -1 to damage, +2 AC 6th: Gives enemies -2 to hit, -2 to damage, +2 to AC 15th: Gives enemies -4 to hit, -4 to damage, +4 to AC, causes Fear in enemies level 8 or below. 20th: Gives enemies -4 to hit, -4 to damage, +4 to AC, causes Fear in enemies level 18 or below.

EDIT: Also, D&D 3.5 is my favorite game so I tried very hard to like NWN2. Couldn't. It sucks.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-08-31 at 08:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Fighter kit
    Must be evil.
    "Unca Gorion, I know what I want to be in life!"
    "What would that be?"
    "A blackguard! ^_^"
    "D:"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I prefer AD&D over 3rd edition D&D. Besides, out of the 3e D&D video games I've played, one was alright - Icewind Dale 2 - and the other ones were to a varying degree catastrophic - ToEE and the NWN games.
    As for the Blackguard kit, I'm not sure if not being able to achieve mastery and grandmastery in weaons is a fair trade for those perks...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

As long as it's Infinity Engine and not whatever-engine-NWN2-had-used, the edition doesn't matter to me.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Banned

TOEE has everything to be an awesome game. Good engine, good graphics, iconic adventure... and they managed to screw it up.

25. - Top - End - #355

TOEE has everything to be an awesome game. Good engine, good graphics, iconic adventure... and they managed to screw it up.
    Yeah, I tried it for the first time a few months ago and I couldn't believe they were even able to do that.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    Yeah, I tried it for the first time a few months ago and I couldn't believe they were even able to do that.
    I want to try it again because I never got that demon in my party.
    The giant was so much fun, though

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

I want to try it again because I never got that demon in my party.
    The giant was so much fun, though
    The succubus Sorcerer? Yeah she was good. Great AC for a spellcaster (she has Natural armor).

28. - Top - End - #358

RangerGuy

It's been quite a few years since I tried liking that game before giving up in disgust, but I remember thinking it had seriously the worst voice acting I had ever heard. Even worse than Resident Evil.

Resident Evil.

Also, my Paladin fell from grace because I had her make romantic passes at an unmarried NPC who responded positively. So apparently someone got it in their head that paladins are catholic monks. I know it's hardly the worst problem with ToEE, but that one really really stuck in my mind.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    It's been quite a few years since I tried liking that game before giving up in disgust, but I remember thinking it had seriously the worst voice acting I had ever heard. Even worse than Resident Evil.

Resident Evil.

Also, my Paladin fell from grace because I had her make romantic passes at an unmarried NPC who responded positively. So apparently someone got it in their head that paladins are catholic monks. I know it's hardly the worst problem with ToEE, but that one really really stuck in my mind.
    To be fair, that is taken from Gygax's original adventure. In it, drinking alcohol (poison) made you fall (so no drinking contest) and being non-chaste did too.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

It's still rather stupid. I've never had a paladin in my party in ToEE but from what I've heard, the game really goes out of the way to make them fall, and not even in legitimate ways but in the "HAHA! I bet you didn't know this NPC was evil! Gotcha!" style.