Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 1103
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    The Aurora Engine is solid, it's just the writing for both NWN Original campaigns was horrible. Mask of the Betrayer and Hordes of the Underdark are both solid, Shadows of Undrentide is decent, and Storm of Zehir is good if you go in expecting a game intended as a Icewind Dale in the Aurora Engine. The real selling point of NWN was and always has been the toolset and the ability to share community made adventures.

    Is there any word on how backwards compatible this is going to be with mods?

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    To be fair, that is taken from Gygax's original adventure. In it, drinking alcohol (poison) made you fall (so no drinking contest) and being non-chaste did too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It's still rather stupid. I've never had a paladin in my party in ToEE but from what I've heard, the game really goes out of the way to make them fall, and not even in legitimate ways but in the "HAHA! I bet you didn't know this NPC was evil! Gotcha!" style.
    Wow.

    The really bizarre thing that my female paladin was hitting on a woman, mostly because I was surprised to see it was a possibility. So in the mind of Gygax and co. same-sex is fine but sex isn't.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Wow.

    The really bizarre thing that my female paladin was hitting on a woman, mostly because I was surprised to see it was a possibility. So in the mind of Gygax and co. same-sex is fine but sex isn't.
    Pretty sure the same-sex was added in by the developers; I don't know how involved Gygax and the orignial writers were involved in TOEE's development.

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Did you guys see the details on the new Blackguard kit?

    Fighter kit
    Actually it seem it is supposed to be a Paladin Kit

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Actually it seem it is supposed to be a Paladin Kit
    Meh, would have liked it better as a Fighter kit.

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    I loved BG and BG2 for various reasons. Only ToB didn't do it for me, probably because of the stupidly high levels you could reach (hmm.. another level.. I'll just take another "summon deva" or something :yawn:). Leveling was a major event in BG1, still pretty damned cool in 2, but it lost the magic for me after that. And the story, while epic, wasn't enough to keep me involved once I got bored of the mechanics.

    I own all games on disc and on gog, and I just can't bring myself to pay $20 for the EE. The main reason is that I very much doubt how much I would actually gain over bgtutu + bunch of mods + fixpacks. I don't need new classes, new npc's and a new quest really. I mostly just want to enjoy BG as it was.

    It seems overpriced. Especially since most of the content was done already. There are limited art improvements, some new cutscenes but I understood there won't be new animations for instance. So it seems it's not a rewritten engine, just a polished one.

    I think I'll keep my money until I see some gameplay vids, alliwing me to compare it to the modded original game...

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    20 dollars is very very cheap. But if you don't want to buy it, well, tough luck for you. I doubt gameplay videos will convince you to buy after it is released, since they were very clear about what we are to expect from the game.

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Bundin View Post
    I loved BG and BG2 for various reasons. Only ToB didn't do it for me, probably because of the stupidly high levels you could reach (hmm.. another level.. I'll just take another "summon deva" or something :yawn:). Leveling was a major event in BG1, still pretty damned cool in 2, but it lost the magic for me after that.
    Somewhat, yeah. But on the other hand I loved how everyone acknowledged how stupidly powerful the PC had become. I'll never forget the Lich who basically went "Whoa, whoa, I don't want any trouble!"

    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    20 dollars is very very cheap. But if you don't want to buy it, well, tough luck for you. I doubt gameplay videos will convince you to buy after it is released, since they were very clear about what we are to expect from the game.
    20 dollars is cheap for a new game, but for someone that already owns the game in another version, it might not seem like a good investment. Paying 20 bucks for what basically amounts to 5-10 dollars worth of DLC (as far as Bundin is concerned) may not be the best way to spend 20 bucks.

    I will be getting the EE of the game, because my copies of BG1 are lost to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Logic + Potatoes = Sweetcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Logic is, well, logical. And smart too.
    CKS
    Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    20 dollars is cheap for a new game, but for someone that already owns the game in another version, it might not seem like a good investment. Paying 20 bucks for what basically amounts to 5-10 dollars worth of DLC (as far as Bundin is concerned) may not be the best way to spend 20 bucks.

    I will be getting the EE of the game, because my copies of BG1 are lost to me.
    It's not the same game, really. Code is improved, there is new UI, polished graphics and widrescreen (without green water) at the very least.
    I have BG1 with Tutu installed. I'm buying because I want the new stuff and because I want the possibility of BG3.

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hobbitkniver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    It's not the same game, really. Code is improved, there is new UI, polished graphics and widrescreen (without green water) at the very least.
    I have BG1 with Tutu installed. I'm buying because I want the new stuff and because I want the possibility of BG3.
    The most disappointing thing is that there already was a BG3 in production, but it got canceled.

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    It's not the same game, really. Code is improved, there is new UI, polished graphics and widrescreen (without green water) at the very least.
    I have BG1 with Tutu installed. I'm buying because I want the new stuff and because I want the possibility of BG3.
    I disagree that it is not a new game. It is an enhanced edition port of an older game, with many advantages the previous edition does not have, but it is effectively the same game with DLC. I understand the opinion that it is not worth $20, but I would probably buy the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate even if I could find my copies of the original, because I do value the improvements to the code, UI, and DLC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Logic + Potatoes = Sweetcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Logic is, well, logical. And smart too.
    CKS
    Avatar by Ceika

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Well, I'm still looking forward to the 18th. At the very least, it'll keep me occupied until October 9th when the new XCom comes out...

    ...Hey, I haven't gotten my promised "week prior" email about where the pre-download it. Hrm...
    Author of the New Aeneid Cycle, a near-future sci-fi series:
    A Shadow in the FlamesSpacingA Memory in the Black

    Now FREE!SpacingSpacingSpacingSpacingS
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Well, I'm still looking forward to the 18th. At the very least, it'll keep me occupied until October 9th when the new XCom comes out...

    ...Hey, I haven't gotten my promised "week prior" email about where the pre-download it. Hrm...
    Same here.

  15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground
     
    mangosta71's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    here

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Just got an email that the release date has been pushed back to 30 Nov.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

    Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.

    Pirate Mongoose by Kwark_Pudding

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Just got an email that the release date has been pushed back to 30 Nov.
    And, once again, reality has made me its bitch.

    (Mangosta's right. I got the same email.)

    Dear Friends of Baldur’s Gate,

    When we first announced Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, You set fire to our servers and we were overwhelmed by the huge wave of support from the fans of the original game.

    Once the fires had subsided, thousands of you posted suggestions and requests on our forums. Dozens of volunteers from all over the world helped us improve game play, squash bugs, and generally fine-tune the game. Even more came to help work on translations from English to more than 16 other languages.

    Executing on our plan to make the best Baldur’s Gate possible and responding to that overwhelming feedback, we’ve added new characters, areas, and story, creating many new hours of game play. Yet the suggestions, fixes, and translations continue, and more volunteers keep joining.

    After recently reviewing the game and then consulting with our partners, we've decided to ensure that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is the best possible product on launch. Thus, we have pushed back the release date of the game. Our release date is now November 30th, 2012.

    To all who have pre-ordered, we ask for your patience as we move toward our final release date.We will be working on something a little extra for you. To all who have volunteered, we thank you for your dedication and support.

    Trent Oster
    President, Overhaul Games
    "You must gather your disappointment before venturing forth."

    The first quote in my sig also feels appropriate.
    Last edited by Muz; 2012-09-14 at 04:37 PM.
    Author of the New Aeneid Cycle, a near-future sci-fi series:
    A Shadow in the FlamesSpacingA Memory in the Black

    Now FREE!SpacingSpacingSpacingSpacingS
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hobbitkniver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Jeeze, how much work can they possibly have? They added a small amount of new content and they're selling a game that we probably all already own simply based on nostalgia. And then they postpone it 4 days before launch.

  18. - Top - End - #378
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    Jeeze, how much work can they possibly have? They added a small amount of new content and they're selling a game that we probably all already own simply based on nostalgia. And then they postpone it 4 days before launch.
    Enough to cause a delay, apparently. I doubt they're sitting on the floor stuffing Cheetos in their ears.

    I mean, not on company time, anyway. What they do on their off hours is their own business...
    Author of the New Aeneid Cycle, a near-future sci-fi series:
    A Shadow in the FlamesSpacingA Memory in the Black

    Now FREE!SpacingSpacingSpacingSpacingS
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  19. - Top - End - #379
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hobbitkniver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Enough to cause a delay, apparently. I doubt they're sitting on the floor stuffing Cheetos in their ears.

    I mean, not on company time, anyway. What they do on their off hours is their own business...
    Yeah, It's more about the abrupt change that annoys me. They would have easily detected if they were going to need a month and a half extra and this company has been teasing customers a little bit too much for my liking.

  20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Two and a half months extra.

    Author of the New Aeneid Cycle, a near-future sci-fi series:
    A Shadow in the FlamesSpacingA Memory in the Black

    Now FREE!SpacingSpacingSpacingSpacingS
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  21. - Top - End - #381
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hobbitkniver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Two and a half months extra.

    Oh yeah, I somehow forgot about October.

  22. - Top - End - #382
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Oh well. I've come to expect this kind of thing around games I really look forward to. On the upside this gives me more time to decide on a class, because I just can't seem to to it.
    Barbarian for the flavor and speed? Inquisitor for the mage killing? Berserker for berserking? Kensai for dual-classing into a mage? Ugh.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

  23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    And, once again, reality has made me its bitch.

    (Mangosta's right. I got the same email.)



    "You must gather your disappointment before venturing forth."

    The first quote in my sig also feels appropriate.
    Better then releasing it with bugs like ToEE did (Autosave fail ) .

  24. - Top - End - #384
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Better then releasing it with bugs like ToEE did (Autosave fail ) .
    True, but I was depending on this game to get me to the release of ANOTHER game! NOW what will I do???

    ...Hmm. Perhaps I should seriously re-examine my life?

    ...Naaaaaahhhh!
    Author of the New Aeneid Cycle, a near-future sci-fi series:
    A Shadow in the FlamesSpacingA Memory in the Black

    Now FREE!SpacingSpacingSpacingSpacingS
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  25. - Top - End - #385
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    Jeeze, how much work can they possibly have? They added a small amount of new content and they're selling a game that we probably all already own simply based on nostalgia. And then they postpone it 4 days before launch.
    They are fixing the code and that's a lot of work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Better then releasing it with bugs like ToEE did (Autosave fail ) .
    Exactly.

  26. - Top - End - #386
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hobbitkniver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    They are fixing the code and that's a lot of work.
    But why didn't they postpone it sooner then? They're professional programmers, they would have known how much more work it would be.

  27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    But why didn't they postpone it sooner then? They're professional programmers, they would have known how much more work it would be.
    Trent spoke a lot about this in both his twitter and the official forums, you should take a look. It was a mix of Trent being optimistic and the amount of time they needed to get an answer from everyone else involved about the delay.

  28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Johnny Blade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Well, kinda glad I didn't preorder now, since I won't have time for multiplayer when they finally release it and that was really the only thing that made me want to spend 20 bucks on a game I already own plus refinements that I can get for free from modding sites and some DLC-level additions.

  29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    But why didn't they postpone it sooner then? They're professional programmers, they would have known how much more work it would be.
    You seem to be under the impression that being a professional programmer somehow protects you from delays. Since BG: EE is neither the first nor the last game to be delayed, this is obviously not the case. It sucks, but these things happen. I just hope it'll be worth the wait.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  30. - Top - End - #390
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hobbitkniver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    You seem to be under the impression that being a professional programmer somehow protects you from delays. Since BG: EE is neither the first nor the last game to be delayed, this is obviously not the case. It sucks, but these things happen. I just hope it'll be worth the wait.
    I mean, this is two and a half months. I'm pretty sure when they got to about a week before release, they would have noticed if they needed a few more months instead of a few more days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •