New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

I has an epic-level sad. Now I need to get myself a new birthday present.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Oh well. I've come to expect this kind of thing around games I really look forward to. On the upside this gives me more time to decide on a class, because I just can't seem to to it.
    Barbarian for the flavor and speed? Inquisitor for the mage killing? Berserker for berserking? Kensai for dual-classing into a mage? Ugh.
    Agreed. I'm thinking of triple classing for ToB purposes. Decisions decisions.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the new date is the anniversary of the original BG release. I can't stop the feeling that it could be a reason for such a long delay... After all, if they'd need a month and a half or two months more, they might as well add two weeks to that time and have a memorable and important date.

And it's crap they informed about the delay so late...

4. - Top - End - #394
    Spamalot in the Playground

For those bummed out, the original (along with a ton of other retro D&D games) are 65% off on GoG right now and (I believe) for the next couple of days.

(Though I was up late last night wrestling with Windows 7 and NWN Diamond )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Banned

I failed every time I tried to make Windows 7 run ToEE or NWN. NWN2 works, but NWN2 sucks.

6. - Top - End - #396

After significant wrangling and reading threads on GoG, I got it to run. But the performance is atrocious on my ATI Radeon quad-core laptop. So I guess I have more tweaking to do.

And people wonder why I'm primarily a console gamer now...
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #397
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just realized it'd be cool to have psionics in BG.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I just realized it'd be cool to have psionics in BG.
    ...you want 2e Psionics added to BG?

For the love of all the gods, man, NOOOOOOOOO!

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

To be fair, it wouldn't necessarily have to be 2e. After all, Sorcerers and Barbarians made it into the original BG, and they aren't 2e either.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    To be fair, it wouldn't necessarily have to be 2e. After all, Sorcerers and Barbarians made it into the original BG, and they aren't 2e either.
    I just assumed they were released as kits in one of the bazillion assorted handbooks...

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that Barbarians, Sorcerers, Monks and Half-Orcs in BG2 are transplantations of 3.0 rules into 2nd edition AD&D.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #402

Of course, this is not to say that 3.0 psionics are much better than 2e ones
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Barbarians, Sorcerers, Monks and Half-Orcs in BG2 are transplantations of 3.0 rules into 2nd edition AD&D.
    I think the first three at least are more likely from the "2.5" "Player Options" series. But it's been a while, so I could be wrong...
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

14. - Top - End - #404
    Colossus in the Playground

There were various "barbarian" kits, but the BG2 barbarian class resembles the 3ed barbarian class much more than it resembles any of them, and besides if they wanted it to be a fighter kit there's no good reason for it not to be a fighter kit.

And as for the sorcerer, well, people keep saying that there's something similar in the Player's Option books and thus it shouldn't be treated as an obvious import from 3ed, but no one ever seems to have actual details.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I was looking forward to buying this tomorrow. Oh well...

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, this is not to say that 3.0 psionics are much better than 2e ones
    I dunno if I'd go that far. At least 3.0 psionics didn't result in everyone non-psionic losing pretty much by default to every single psionic being. Ahh, those were the days, over complicated mental combat, great powers, gotta love it (or hate it if you aren't psionic…)
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I could swear I heard that barbarians or Sorcerors for 2e were in Dragon (not sure which), and I know Half-Orcs had been around long before Baldur's Gate, they just didn't get in the 2e core-rulebook as a race.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    And as for the sorcerer, well, people keep saying that there's something similar in the Player's Option books and thus it shouldn't be treated as an obvious import from 3ed, but no one ever seems to have actual details.
    Player's Option: Spells & Magic: Chapter 6, "Systems of Magic" section, under "Channellers."

...Though I do admit to having thought they were named AS sorcerers before I looked it up, but the idea seems generally the same.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    ~ ~ ~

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

"Channellers"? That sounds like it was blatantly lifted from The Wheel of Time.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, 30% chance to cast disintegrate, 30% chance it fails, and 40% chance to be disintegrated. I love the challenge of 2E Psionics!

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    "Channellers"? That sounds like it was blatantly lifted from The Wheel of Time.
    Nonsense! When has D&D lifted ANYthing from any literary source???

~ ~ ~

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

When BG2 came out, the dev team said outright that the Barbarian, Monk, and Sorcerer were being included because they were about to show up in the 3E PHB.

That was a fun edition war, too.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #413

Oh!

I stand corrected.

Edit: Technically, I'm sitting.
    Last edited by Muz; 2012-09-17 at 09:44 PM.
    ~ ~ ~

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I failed every time I tried to make Windows 7 run ToEE or NWN. NWN2 works, but NWN2 sucks.
    Crossposting here:

I finally got my NWN Diamond to work perfectly! Followed the instructions here (and on the thread linked in the first reply), then once the game was installed, I right-clicked the "nwn.exe" and did the Windows 7 Compatibility Troubleshooter (lets you run as administrator, fools it into thinking you're under Windows XP etc.) Now the game is smooth like butter and my Sorceress is taking to the plague-ridden streets once more.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #415
    Banned

Crossposting here:

I finally got my NWN Diamond to work perfectly! Followed the instructions here (and on the thread linked in the first reply), then once the game was installed, I right-clicked the "nwn.exe" and did the Windows 7 Compatibility Troubleshooter (lets you run as administrator, fools it into thinking you're under Windows XP etc.) Now the game is smooth like butter and my Sorceress is taking to the plague-ridden streets once more.
    Cool! I'll be sure to try it when I get home (two long weeks from now ). Couldn't they just get NWN on Steam?
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-09-18 at 03:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Cool! I'll be sure to try it when I get home (two long weeks from now ). Couldn't they just get NWN on Steam?
    I do love Steam, but I'll take no DRM over benevolent DRM any day
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #417

So as far as BGII goes, what are the best kits to try out? I plan on playing through the game normally once, then doing it again as a solo run just to see if it's possible.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

So as far as BGII goes, what are the best kits to try out? I plan on playing through the game normally once, then doing it again as a solo run just to see if it's possible.
    Vanilla BG2 with no mods (and assuming you don't play BG1 with kits as some mods allow; it can be gamebreaking honestly) I'd vote for:
    Fighter: Berserker (ease of use, tankiness) OR Kensai (slightly more challenging and not a "tanks everything" kinda frontliner, but deals the most DPS)
    Ranger: Archer hands down, there are a few very good missile weapons in the game that this class utilizes in a fun and simple way, stay away from Beastmaster, Stalker is a watered down single class warrior/thief
    Paladin: Cavalier is the simplest I'd say, Inquisitor has cool utility (but there's a joinable one in the game)
    Cleric: No comments, all the kits benefit you over the standard class, the bonus spells aren't really that notable IMHO
    Druid: Even though Shapeshifter looks cool he's also kinda bugged in vanilla BG2 and the werewolf form IMHO falls off. I'd recommend Avenger for shapeshifting (the creature forms and bonus spells have decent utility and he doesn't sacrifice much) or Totemic Druid for decent mid-game summons.
    Thief: Swashbuckler is a strong late-game frontliner (with Use Any Item in Throne Of Bhaal his stats can get ridiculous) but can't backstab. I'd pick that or Assassin, since you don't need too many thieving skills and Assassin has a x7 cap on backstab damage instead of x5. Bounty Hunter is okay.
    Bard: Blade is one of the most fun kits because of how perfectly he blends Sword & Magic while sacrificing very little. Definitely recommended.
    Mage: Recommended Summoner because Divination spells are available on Clerics. Wild Mage is fun but unpredictable; think "Jinxed" trait from classic Fallout games. Nahal's Dweomer is fun if you can live with the unpredictability.
    Barbarian: Strong frontliner. For simple heads and skull-cracking. Potentially the tankiest class possible (against physical damage, at least) thanks to certain items and passives.
    Monk: Definitely better than tabletop 3.5 edition incarnation
    Sorcerer: Commonly accepted to be better than Mage because most players prefer spamming AoE goodness and that's what Sorcerer excels at. And it's not a bad way to succeed in battles, so you might have more fun and less trouble with a Sorcerer than a Mage.

Solo runs are definitely possible with every caster in the game (including the almighty Blade). Multiclasses such as everyone's favourite cookie-cutter Fighter/Mage/Thief work. Dual classes such as Kensai/Mage or Kensai/Thief or Berserker/Cleric work. Thieves can do it though they might be off to a rough start. Fighting classes suffer from lack of utility so I never attempted it but I imagine lacking spells like Breach can be a problem. (I'd give Inquisitor a spin if I were to attempt it)
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-09-18 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Assassin's problem is so many things are immune to backstabbing late game, so they suffer.

Thief is a very viable solo class, though- You just have to hit epic levels quickly to get Use any Item (And hoard scrolls to use afterwords)

30. - Top - End - #420

I'll probably choose Berserker for the group run then.

Kensai/Mage is apparently a really powerful, or outright cheesy, dual class for solo runs, but what can Bard/Blade be dual-classed or multiclassed with?