New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Bow duty?! Ajantis may have not the best DEX (was it 15?) but I surely like im too much for a bowman. He likes really really shiny with all that high level bling (plate mail +3 and tower shield +2 from Durlag's tower and the "helm of glory") in the front row. He was like a second sun in paladin form .

My own paladin (with his superior DEX ) endend up with two-handed swords and full plate, so i needed a dedicated sword and board fighter for this stuff (and it solves his sometimes short AC for the rest of the game quite efficient).
    Last edited by Azaran; 2012-11-17 at 06:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

13 Dex on Ajantis, so no AC bonus. And I will have him switch between ranged and melee as soon as he gets the Dex gloves, but I'm still at a point where just buying four or five healing potions means spending most of your money.

I literally couldn't afford having Ajantis melee.

Also, my Bhaalspawn is a Paladin (Inquisitor), too. She's pretty much ranged only for now, but I just got a nice mod-added halberd for her from one of the named bandits you meet around Nashkel (+2 enchantment and gives +2 Strength), so that's possibly going to change. I knew that halberd existed somewhere and I could get it before the really good two-handed swords, so she has points in halberds anyway. I just didn't remember how early I could get it, so finding that thing before even going through the mines was a nice surprise.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Man, this discussion involves a level of optimization I've never employed in BG1. Once the Enchanced Edition finally comes out... I'm not sure what I'll play. Probably a Human Fighter, possibly with a modded-in kit, like I've said. It really depends on whether or not I'll manage not to fail miserably at modding.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

There's no real optimization here, to be honest.

I mean,my original plan was:
    Ajantis does melee, Bhaalspawn stays ranged throughout the early game, Branwen (who is a multi-classed Fighter/Cleric courtesy of Shadowkeeper) switches around depending on what the situation warrants.

And now how it actually turned out:
    Ajantis stays away from anything that could hurt him, Bhaalspawn will probably become kind of a second wave wrecking ball thanks to that halberd going in to mop up when Branwen has drawn the attention of most enemies, because Branwen is almost purely a tank.

Not at all how it was supposed to go, but it's working.

EDIT: Also, do you have some kind of draft or something for that Fighter kit?
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-11-18 at 11:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

My current plan is to give it the Offensive and Defensive spin the Blade bard kit has while restricting it to studded leather and possibly limiting its ranged weapon proficiency. I'll figure out the exact balance once I have a better idea of what I can or can't do and whether or not mods will even work with Enchanced Edition.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-18 at 11:27 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, this halberd sounds powerful. I mean we are talking about AD&D 2.Edition: A 17 strength fighter (nice solid stat) can get to 19 with it (herculean warrior). The sad thing is this thing is probably one of the more balanced wepons in the modding scene.

@ Morty:

Your Fighter Kit idea reminds of the "Hidden Blade" the knife fighter profession in NWN2. Would be nice to have some kind of DEX based fighter between all these Schwarzeneggers.
    Last edited by Azaran; 2012-11-18 at 12:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

It's not quite Dexterity based, since it'll need Strength as much as any other warrior, but that's more or less the idea.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    My current plan is to give it the Offensive and Defensive spin the Blade bard kit has while restricting it to studded leather and possibly limiting its ranged weapon proficiency. I'll figure out the exact balance once I have a better idea of what I can or can't do and whether or not mods will even work with Enchanced Edition.
    Ah, yeah, I remember now. Sounds interesting. That armor restriction will most likely hurt a lot in BG1 and be almost irrelevant in ToB, I think, so you may want to front-load the Spin progression a little to counteract that.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Wow, this halberd sounds powerful. I mean we are talking about AD&D 2.Edition: A 17 strength fighter (nice solid stat) can get to 19 with it (herculean warrior). The sad thing is this thing is probably one of the more balanced wepons in the modding scene.
    It's powerful, true; especially on someone who already has a high Strength (the jump from 15 to 17 isn't nearly as significant as from 17 to 19). But I don't think it's in any way OP, considering that you can get two one-handed +2 weapons with an extra point of elemental damage as loot just as early in the game, as well as buy +1 shields. That extra AC matters a lot, especially when ogres can one-shot you.

Although, my Inquisitor managed to chunk Mulahey in two hits with that thing. Mainly because she landed a crit for almost 50 damage, so it was mostly due to Mulahey not wearing a helmet. (Seriously, man, you're living in a mine. What were you thinking?)
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-11-19 at 02:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Ah, yeah, I remember now. Sounds interesting. That armor restriction will most likely hurt a lot in BG1 and be almost irrelevant in ToB, I think, so you may want to front-load the Spin progression a little to counteract that.
    Yes, the kit will be similar to Kensai in this regard - Kensai's low-ass AC is a pain in BG1, but in ToB everyone gets hit all the time anyway. That's just how AC progresses in this game. Frontloading the Spins might be a good idea, I suppose.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-19 at 02:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sounds interesting. Are you planning on making it available if it works out, Morty?
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-11-20 at 06:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Banned

Does anyone know the odds of triggering Saverok's Deathbringer Strike?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Does anyone know the odds of triggering Saverok's Deathbringer Strike?
    A search for deathbringer assault tells me it's 3%; not sure if that's accurate, though.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Sounds interesting. Are you planning on making it available if it works out, Morty?
    If I manage to get it to work, I'll probably upload it somewhere. If it turns out it doesn't work with Enchanced Edition, I may try it with the normal game. I remember reading that making class kits is relatively easy, but I can't remember where it was. I'll have to read some tutorials, like those on the Gibberlings Three site.
    EDIT: I just discovered that there is already a mod which introduces a Fighter kit similar in theme to what I'm planning. It's called Duelist and can be found here. I'll still try to make the kit I'm planning, though.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-20 at 12:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Pixie in the Playground

I think i never did a playthrough with good ol' Sarevok. Too many hard feelings for his attempted ascension to the god of murder i guess...
    Did anyone has experience with him as an party nsc?

15. - Top - End - #585
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I used him in my recent run of ToB, but something went wrong with the dialogue coding, because he never initiated dialogue after joining and I never got the chance to convert his alignment.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

I found Sarevok kinda boring the one time I used him. Probably a result of the writers needing to fit his whole redemption story into the relatively short ToB framework; there just wasn't much else to him, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    EDIT: I just discovered that there is already a mod which introduces a Fighter kit similar in theme to what I'm planning. It's called Duelist and can be found here. I'll still try to make the kit I'm planning, though.
    Well, there's some overlap, I guess, but that Duelist is almost offensively bland while Blade Spins are fun and interesting. So do it.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

It is rather boring, yes. Just slapping some attack and AC bonuses on the class is uninspired. So I will still make my kit. Having read the tutorial... well, it's not easy, but it's not impenetrable either. Looks like it's mostly a lot of work typing things into a text file.
    As for Sarevok, I had him in my party in one of my playthroughs, where I played a Neutral Evil Swashbuckler. He was a very solid frontliner combat-wise. He didn't have much going for him in terms of writing, but ToB is generally poor in this regard, I think.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah...ToB's writing has some issues.

I actually kinda like the Five, but they don't get enough screentime. And Melissan is dumb and everyone figures her whole scheme out by the end of Saradush. They should have just dropped her and made it the Five against you (Maybe Gromnir, Balthazar, or some other allies, if you can convince them...maybe.) with the big showdown in Hell being between you and the last surviving one of them.

I also liked some of the companions, despite the generally lower quality of the writing. But they should have done more with Imoen and Sarevok. Imoen just gets some banters to show off her character but no real personal growth while Sarevok is the total opposite in this regard, so they're both pretty one-sided.

Well, at least the battles are fun.

Also, presented without comment, a screenshot from my earlier (failed) first attack at the Bandit Camp.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's the one bloody downside to Entangle. It only stops them moving. I like to scout with Jaheira, entangle then fade back and blast away with fireballs.

I always hear complaints about the 'writing' but it never really bothered me. ToB is about the Bhaalspawn. Everyone else is just sort of secondary. And Melissan is a moron. Better to kill the PC by helping Gromnir then take him out while he's wounded from fighting the PC and use their essence to kill the others.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Yeah...ToB's writing has some issues.

I actually kinda like the Five, but they don't get enough screentime. And Melissan is dumb and everyone figures her whole scheme out by the end of Saradush. They should have just dropped her and made it the Five against you (Maybe Gromnir, Balthazar, or some other allies, if you can convince them...maybe.) with the big showdown in Hell being between you and the last surviving one of them.
    So what the Hunger Games with Bhall Spawn?
    Actually that might be a cool mod.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Throne of Bhaal still drives me nuts with its terrible story execution. I shall hold on to the notion that BG2:ToB should never have been made with a death grip forever and screw everyone who disagrees. It should've been Baldur's Gate 2: Watcher's Keep, followed by an actual Baldur's Gate 3: Throne of Bhaal.

I spent a stupid amount of time thinking how this imaginary BG3 would've gone and have even written a pointlessly long "outline" that's almost like a fanfic (a concept I despise deeply). I'm the biggest BG nerd ever :'(
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

22. - Top - End - #592
    Banned

Preloading the Enhanced Edition!!
    It's going awfully slow, but it's going!

23. - Top - End - #593
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Preloading the Enhanced Edition!!
    It's going awfully slow, but it's going!
    Same. Like 3 bytes per second slow. I noticed they have the manual up. Good stuff in there.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #594
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Same. Like 3 bytes per second slow. I noticed they have the manual up. Good stuff in there.
    I'm 0.1 GB away from completion! Yay!
    After that I just have to wait for a few days to actually play it

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Ooohh... Can't wait.

26. - Top - End - #596

SwashbucklerGuy

Y'know I never really got far, much less completed Baldur's Gate unlike Baldur's Gate II and it's ToB expansion. I should probably get to that someday, if only to excite myself up for BGII Enhanced. When I get to BGII again I should actually go and follow the Thieves' Guild questline to pick up Edwin instead of stopping halfway during it. I've heard he's great to have around both as a character and a mage. Considering how awesome (IMO) Viconia and Sarevok were, I think BGII has some of the best "Evil" party members in a video game, or heck, just some of the best party members in a video game

Also, who were has used the Shapeshifter kit for a Druid? (the one that lets you transform into a werewolf) I find it to be my favorite class in BGII and in first playthrough my character ended up as the toughest member of the party (not the strongest, that Minsc and Keldorn did better, nor the 'best' as my mages ended up dominating that)

27. - Top - End - #597

I used the Shapeshifter kit on my main once. Apparently it's messed up but there's a mod which restores it. Then there's another rom which makes it way stronger. I used the latter.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

28. - Top - End - #598
    Pixie in the Playground

I was never a big fan of the epic level rules in ToB. The enemies get quie insane on this level if they are not simple cheating (Why does an epic drow cleric have access to "Time Stop" and "Insect Plague" ? My party was epic level too but they had the decency to be it within their class restrictions)
    The other problem was that the game basically had a big dungeon crawl as the story and BGs selling point was never its good dungeon design.
    Icewind Dale had some good dungeons, like the "Valley of the Dead" or of the "Severed Hand". Good atmsphere and theme.
    Baldurs Gate dungeons seem more like some colorful lethal disney land...

29. - Top - End - #599
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The best part of Throne of Bhaal was the Watcher's Keep, and you could go there before you entered ToB properly (though you wouldn't get too far). Soo....

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    Edwin
    Edwin is unique (like Sarevok) in that he's a better mage than you'll ever be on account of getting more spells than mages are allowed to. Also there's Cernd and he's a shapeshifter druid but he's an ******* and I never really used him beyond druid grove and his personal quest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    I was never a big fan of the epic level rules in ToB. The enemies get quie insane on this level if they are not simple cheating (Why does an epic drow cleric have access to "Time Stop" and "Insect Plague" ? My party was epic level too but they had the decency to be it within their class restrictions)
    The other problem was that the game basically had a big dungeon crawl as the story and BGs selling point was never its good dungeon design.
    Icewind Dale had some good dungeons, like the "Valley of the Dead" or of the "Severed Hand". Good atmsphere and theme.
    Baldurs Gate dungeons seem more like some colorful lethal disney land...
    Sendai is multiclassed. Also you're bothered by her spell list instead of her statue clones? Only real cheater is Balthazar.
    Sadly you're too right about disneyland thing. Icewind Dale was designed for crawling and it's a very successful coaster ride. ToB is an abridged epic level version of IWD and it doesn't work at all.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill: