New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Alright, adding them with the console worked. Thanks a lot. I really have no idea why adding them with ShadowKeeper didn't work - their filenames were exactly the same as for a regular Blade. Oh well.
    In other, more cheerful news, there was a minor thing I liked (veeery minor spoilers, in case someone would rather be surprised):
    Spoiler
    Show
    They spiced up Gorion's death scene. Gorion now has a Contingency spell and uses a few high-level ones. Tamoko casts Breach on him to drop the defenses before Sarevok finishes him off with the Deathbringer Assault.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-30 at 06:29 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well, that fix didn't work. Ah well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Did they fix the problem where playing at the highest difficulty level means you get auto-killed by the Magic Missile in that cutscene?

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No idea. Since I'm starting over with my hacked playtest Fighter, I'll set the difficulty to highest and check.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #724

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No idea. Since I'm starting over with my hacked playtest Fighter, I'll set the difficulty to highest and check.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. It was a problem unique to Wizards in the original game, since they had a d4 Hit Die, no bonus Fighter HP, and spells did increased damage at max difficulty, so the one-Magic Missile would always oneshot you.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. It was a problem unique to Wizards in the original game, since they had a d4 Hit Die, no bonus Fighter HP, and spells did increased damage at max difficulty, so the one-Magic Missile would always oneshot you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Would having 16 Con for 3 extra hps help? 7 hps at 1st level.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Would having 16 Con for 3 extra hps help? 7 hps at 1st level.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you'd roll for HP, and the con bonus hp for non warriors caps at +2, but yeah, that should help.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #727

Spoiler
    Show
    Insane difficulty meant you took double damage from monsters, even in cutscenes, so one magic missile would deal you 4-10 damage. It wasn't a guaranteed kill now that I've poked around for research, but since your HP score at level 1 was 3-6 with max Con against that 4-10 damage, your odds of surviving the cutscene were painfully low.

Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-30 at 11:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, I've a friend telling me that he lost Imoen to a random lightning bolt while traveling during rainy weather. Did this happen to anyone else? How common is it?

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that will happen sometimes and take half your max HP (I think).

I'm pretty sure it only happens when it rains and I've only ever had it hit people in metal armor. It's very rare, too, but in my current game Branwen actually got struck twice within two or three minutes, on the same map. Before that I can only remember Khalid and a main character getting hit once, in different playthroughs.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-01 at 03:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well, I finally got the game going by updating my driver, but I've come across something: High Strength and Dexterity doesn't seem to affect Thaco as it should.
    I made a Berserker with exceptional strength, but it didn't count towards his Thaco score, and when I picked Imoen up her Dexterity didn't affect her shortbow Thaco. Is this just a display problem, or does this really not affect my chances to hit?

Oh and, ugh, any notable recommendations for fighter weapon mastery? I'm thinking sword and shield, but there are so damn many good swords to choose from.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Well, I finally got the game going by updating my driver, but I've come across something: High Strength and Dexterity doesn't seem to affect Thaco as it should.
    I made a Berserker with exceptional strength, but it didn't count towards his Thaco score, and when I picked Imoen up her Dexterity didn't affect her shortbow Thaco. Is this just a display problem, or does this really not affect my chances to hit?
    I believe it adds your bonuses to the roll itself, rather than subtracting them from your Thac0. So, when you see something like 12 + 4 = 16: Hit, that +4 is supposed to be the sum of your bonuses. I think.

12. - Top - End - #732

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I believe it adds your bonuses to the roll itself, rather than subtracting them from your Thac0. So, when you see something like 12 + 4 = 16: Hit, that +4 is supposed to be the sum of your bonuses. I think.
    But my combat rolls would be something like 12+3 = 15, and those 3 come from longsword specialization.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

But my combat rolls would be something like 12+3 = 15, and those 3 come from longsword specialization.
    What are your stats?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

14. - Top - End - #734

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    What are your stats?
    Strength 18/97 for +5 to hit and damage. Two dots in longsword and one in sword-and-shield. My longsword THACO is 17.
    However, the +5 damage bonus acts as it should.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it calculates that into the "Thac0 minus AC" equation and simply doesn't show?

16. - Top - End - #736

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Maybe it calculates that into the "Thac0 minus AC" equation and simply doesn't show?
    Doesn't it show for anyone else?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you'd roll for HP, and the con bonus hp for non warriors caps at +2, but yeah, that should help.
    Doesn't having a familar add health in BG 1? I remember it did in 2, can you get one at the begnnining (candlekeep)?

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't it show for anyone else?
    Okay, I think I see what you mean. The final thac0 which should have been written in that small shield-like slot is wrong. However, when you look at your "character sheet" to the upper right, it lists the correct base and final thac0 there, the stat bonuses factored in and all that.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Strength 18/97 for +5 to hit and damage. Two dots in longsword and one in sword-and-shield. My longsword THACO is 17.
    However, the +5 damage bonus acts as it should.
    I don't remeber if anything changed in BG II (on which BGEE is based), but according to these tables, your strength gives you a bonus of +2 to hit (and +5 to damage), while two dots in longsword is a +1 bonus. Total seems to be +3.

Doesn't having a familar add health in BG 1? I remember it did in 2, can you get one at the begnnining (candlekeep)?
    The original game didn't have them.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2012-12-01 at 11:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #740

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    I don't remeber if anything changed in BG II (on which BGEE is based), but according to these tables, your strength gives you a bonus of +2 to hit (and +5 to damage), while two dots in longsword is a +1 bonus. Total seems to be +3.
    This. Note if you take your weapon off it shows you your real Str bonuses. For some reason is screws up, not sure why. Of course, I have the damage tables memorized, so the effect is has on me is none. Also note that the Thaco on your inventory page will be lower than it actually is, which is your reference page thaco.
    ~ZA

21. - Top - End - #741

Fantastic. With this new patch, now I can't even run the game at all through the launcher - it just closes the launcher whenever I hit play. I can run it through Baldur.exe, but it's still laggy, even after editing the .ini file.

But in windowed mode, it works! Sort of.

Never mind, laggy again.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-01 at 07:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Fantastic. With this new patch, now I can't even run the game at all through the launcher - it just closes the launcher whenever I hit play. I can run it through Baldur.exe, but it's still laggy, even after editing the .ini file.

But in windowed mode, it works! Sort of.

Never mind, laggy again.
    Have you tried running it as an administrator? I remember some games have troubles if you don't. Temple of Elemental Evil game did.

23. - Top - End - #743

Have you tried running it as an administrator? I remember some games have troubles if you don't. Temple of Elemental Evil game did.
    That didn't help, but manually downloading the most recent graphics card drivers did, and it works great now.

Incidentally, since I'm making an Evil party, how does this planned lineup look?
    CHARNAME - Sorcerer
    Edwin - Mage
    Kagain - Fighter
    Viconia - Cleric
    Imoen - Thief
    Dorn Il-Khan - Blackguard (cause why not, he's new and shiny and I need another melee)

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

That didn't help, but manually downloading the most recent graphics card drivers did, and it works great now.

Incidentally, since I'm making an Evil party, how does this planned lineup look?
    CHARNAME - Sorcerer
    Edwin - Mage
    Kagain - Fighter
    Viconia - Cleric
    Imoen - Thief
    Dorn Il-Khan - Blackguard (cause why not, he's new and shiny and I need another melee)
    Kagain is pretty sweet frontline.

Is Dorn any good?
    What are you going to do while iron crisis exists weapons break a lot by frontliners?
    There aren't that many magical Axes (I think one sold by a barkeeper' Beregost one of the taverns if you got the money for a +1); so you'll need to have a few replacements.

25. - Top - End - #745

I have no idea...give them wooden weapons? It's been years since I played BG1, I didn't even remember the shattering iron weapons thing. Or just get Kagain that axe ASAP, since I think Dorn comes with a magic sword.

As for Dorn...I don't know, but he's new, and I want to check him out. I don't even know where to recruit him, unfortunately.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-02 at 12:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Working on some items and wondering how balanced this would be (intended for BG1 only):

Cloak
    +1 attack per round
    Blur 1/day
    Only usable by: Kensai

I think it would be okay since the Kensai's weapon and armor restrictions are big issues in BG1, but an extra attack is huge - maybe make it +0.5 attack per round and give a THAC0 bonus or something?

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

I think an extra attack per round is too big a bonus in BG1. Half an attack might work better.

Now that I reached Nashkel with my Skirmisher Fighter, I'm wondering about my party composition. I decided to make a mostly Good run this time, since my last ones were Neutral and Evil. This means I want Good and Neutral people in my team - CHARNAME is Lawful Neutral. I guess I can keep Imoen as the thief. I could go with Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir, I suppose, but I had Khalid and Jaheira with me in my last playthrough and besides I want to grab one of the new NPCs. The question is, which one. Rasaad would fit best, because he's Lawful Good, but it doesn't look like Monks are terribly strong on low levels. So I could give up Mincs and Dynaheir and take Neera as my mage.

Speaking of team composition...

CHARNAME - Sorcerer
    Edwin - Mage
    Kagain - Fighter
    Viconia - Cleric
    Imoen - Thief
    This looks pretty solid.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

That evil party is probably one of the best you can assemble in the game, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I think an extra attack per round is too big a bonus in BG1. Half an attack might work better.
    I guess you're probably right.

Maybe +0.5 attacks/round and +2 to attack rolls? The idea behind this is that a Kensai will have to retreat after getting beat up often, or alternatively only get into the action once a few of the more damaging enemies are otherwise occupied or dead, so the Kensai should do more with the little time he has before he becomes a liability and healing sink.

(Blur is there because I remember that, when I played a Kensai once, he was hogging Potions of Defense and Invulnerability as well as the Shield Amulet and was just a constant resource drain all around.)

Now that I reached Nashkel with my Skirmisher Fighter, I'm wondering about my party composition. I decided to make a mostly Good run this time, since my last ones were Neutral and Evil. This means I want Good and Neutral people in my team - CHARNAME is Lawful Neutral. I guess I can keep Imoen as the thief. I could go with Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir, I suppose, but I had Khalid and Jaheira with me in my last playthrough and besides I want to grab one of the new NPCs. The question is, which one. Rasaad would fit best, because he's Lawful Good, but it doesn't look like Monks are terribly strong on low levels. So I could give up Mincs and Dynaheir and take Neera as my mage.
    If you're really concerned with the group's viability, I'd probably drop Minsc and Dynaheir first and go with Neera and probably Kivan (who can get to AC levels your Skirmisher with his armor restriction only dreams of).

Personally, I'm planning to go with the following once I get EE (after my current BGT playthrough):
    • Ranger (unsure what kit to use; I mainly want to see the new EE items in action and getting dual-wielding points for free obviously helps here)
    • Imoen
    • Rasaad
    • Neera
    • Branwen (later Faldorn)
    • Kivan (since I'll be playing this without the NPC Project)

Also, I have restarted my Trilogy playthrough because I like Fighter/Mages too much.

Anyway, this just happened after I traveled to a new area (the excavation site) and decided to give in to Xan's and Viconia's constant complaints about how tired they are:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is the fourth wave of Tasloi spawned when I tried to rest. Their onslaught was interrupted by a pack of three Dread Wolves that also wanted a piece of my guys.

They were getting chunked left and right, but...

...they just kept coming.
    Sorry, Viconia, you must fight, then rest.

So, that were 50 Tasloi. My Fighter/Mage actually leveled that night.

And the RNG had not yet tormented my tired elves enough.

Three more Dread Wolves looking for late-night snacks. Also, Sword Coast Stratagems' Better Calls for Help in action - there's a regular wolf that noticed what was going on and decided to help his cousins, putting the body count for that night at 50 Tasloi, 6 Dread Wolves, 1 Wolf.

Also, Shocking Grasp is actually quite useful for this character with Spell Revisions installed, because it stuns unless the target saves (and there's a level-scaling save penalty).

29. - Top - End - #749
    Banned

I'm playing a Stalker and I stopped soon after I got Neera (her voice acting kinda sucks).
    Then I checked out the Black Pits and noticed I could buy a Shield Amulet very soon there, meaning a Kensai might actually be doable. Also, I tested a Shapeshifter and while it seems like it would breeze through BG1 like there was no tomorrow, Single Weapon Style seems to have no effect on claws.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, is there anyway I could play a Kensai and Dual-Class it with a different class to pick up the ability to use armour, or does it not work like that? Not too familiar with BG or 2.0 rules.
    And for Armour low THAc0 is god right? starting off with a 4 is better then ten, correct? I read up on it a bit but bonus subtracting sometimes and not others is messing with me a bit.