New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    So, is there anyway I could play a Kensai and Dual-Class it with a different class to pick up the ability to use armour, or does it not work like that? Not too familiar with BG or 2.0 rules.
    And for Armour low THAc0 is god right? starting off with a 4 is better then ten, correct? I read up on it a bit but bonus subtracting sometimes and not others is messing with me a bit.
    Well, Kensai dualed to Cleric might be able to wear while Kenai is inactive (never tried), but you get all the penalties when it is restored (when Cleri levels are higher).

Thac0 isn't easy as it is backwards. AC 10 is worst AC (this AC value minused from your Thac0 to see if you hit). The lower the Thac0 the better (it starts at 20 and counts down).
    Remember that Str bonuses, magic gear, spells etc make your effective Thac0 lower.

With Thac0 20 vs AC 10, that means 20-10 =10 needed to hit on a 1d20.

AC 0 means 20-0 = 20 needed on a 1d20.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I guess you're probably right.

Maybe +0.5 attacks/round and +2 to attack rolls? The idea behind this is that a Kensai will have to retreat after getting beat up often, or alternatively only get into the action once a few of the more damaging enemies are otherwise occupied or dead, so the Kensai should do more with the little time he has before he becomes a liability and healing sink.
    That would probably work, yes. Kensai is a huge glass cannon in BG1.

If you're really concerned with the group's viability, I'd probably drop Minsc and Dynaheir first and go with Neera and probably Kivan (who can get to AC levels your Skirmisher with his armor restriction only dreams of).
    I think I'll go get him, yes. I only had him in my team once, in a playthrough that didn't get far. Perhaps I could grab Ajantis later. That leaves me with the spot for a Cleric to fill. I guess I can take Branwen, although I had her in my team last time. But I don't have other options.

So, is there anyway I could play a Kensai and Dual-Class it with a different class to pick up the ability to use armour, or does it not work like that? Not too familiar with BG or 2.0 rules.
    No, you won't be able to wear armor anyway.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Colossus in the Playground

Not at BG1 levels.

In Throne of Bhaal, you can learn High Level Abilities, such as tenth-level spells for a wizard or sorcerer. One of a thief's High Level Abilities is Use Any Item, which obliterates all alignment, class, and name restrictions on the items the thief can use (so that, e.g., a Chaotic Good kensai dual-classed to thief who has enough thief levels to gain High Level Abilities, but has a Constitution under 18, can use the Holy Avenger sword which is restricted to paladins, or the Soul Reaver sword which cannot be used by any Good character, or the Human Skin armor which can only be used by Evil characters, but will not be able to use the Sword of Chaos +4, which requires its wielder to have Constitution 18). Bear in mind that most items designed for a specific NPC are only usable by a character who equals or exceeds several of that NPC's stats. However, if using an item imposes a restriction on a certain class, that restriction will remain in place even with Use Any Item. (A thief can use weapons normally not available to thieves, but cannot backstab with them, and a thief/wizard can wear any armor, but cannot sneak wearing armor heavier than leather or cast spells wearing any armor.)

But if you're not thinking in terms of the extreme long term, choosing to play a kensai in BG1 means the deficits will far outweigh the gains.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm, thank you thank you. Think I have a better grasp now with all said and playing the game some more.
    I do think I am going to roll a new character and not stick with Kensai though. Don't think Ill have the time to play past BG1, and I may want something with a bit more pay-off now, so Ill just experiment around I think.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    By the way, I've a friend telling me that he lost Imoen to a random lightning bolt while traveling during rainy weather. Did this happen to anyone else? How common is it?
    Heck, I just lost my Main Character to a random lightning bolt. It was a total WTF moment.

And for the new characters, does anyone know where you find them? I spotted the Monk in Naskhel, but I don't know where to look for the Blackguard or the Wild Mage.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, unless they've completely changed it to 3.0 rules, in 2.0 AC goes down.

So if you have AC 10, then that number is ADDED to your roll. So if you attack a target with AC 10, and roll a ten, then your roll is 10+10=20. If you attack that same target with AC of -10, then it's 10-10=1.

It seems strange from a higher ruleset, but it makes sense in BG.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

And for the new characters, does anyone know where you find them? I spotted the Monk in Naskhel, but I don't know where to look for the Blackguard or the Wild Mage.
    You can get the wild mage in beregost, north from the smith, near the mayor's house. ( edit) More precisly north west from silke.

I got the blackguard by first talking to him in friendly arm after fighting against Tarnesh (He doesn't join you just yet) and when traveling to Nashkal mines I encountered during Random(?) encounter
    Last edited by ShellBullet; 2012-12-02 at 12:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, this means I missed Neera. I'll have to go back and get her. My party, I've decided, will look like this:
    CHARNAME, LN Human Skirmisher
    Kivan
    Ajantis
    Neera
    Branwen
    Imoen

I think I'll bring Rasaad along until I meet Ajantis, just so see what a monk can do in BG1 (the answer is probably "not much", but whatever). I'd dual-class Imoen to a Mage, but I want to bring Neera with me as well.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Bugbear in the Playground

So monks in this game can use longswords... is there any reason not to? As far as thac0 and damage, it's looking like a sword is better than fists.

On a seperate note, what's a more optimal route for cleric/ranger? Dual wield or shield?

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

I'd never put points into Sword & Shield style as a warrior. It's just bad. Even in BG1, there are only two areas where I'd say it's worth it:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bandit Camp and Firewine Dungeon.

Those two can be hell, though.

Clerics and Thieves without Fighter or Ranger levels kind of end up putting a point there because, being unable to specialize, they run out of useful options.

But as a Ranger/Cleric, I'd only advance dual-wielding.

That being said, I still usually default to having everyone equip shields for large parts of BG1. The extra AC helps a lot, especially early on when a lot of things can kill you in two or three hits and you simply can't afford a lot of healing.

EDIT: I don't know how I'd go about optimizing a Monk. I played one in BG2 way back when it first came out and haven't really looked at the class ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    CHARNAME, LN Human Skirmisher
    Kivan
    Ajantis
    Neera
    Branwen
    Imoen
    Looks good. Only item there'll be any fighting over is the Claw of Kazgaroth, everything else kind of falls into place.

Anyway, with EE now out and some new people getting into the games, I think it might be time to start a new thread about the Infinity engine games and have this one be about EE only and with spoilers actually in spoiler tags.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-02 at 02:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the Sword-and-Shield style gets the short end of the stick. Better AC against missiles is nice, but not really worth the points.

12. - Top - End - #762

So I'm remembering why I refuse to play D&D at level 1. Everyone in my party, tanks included, dies if you so much as breathe on them too hard. I have to spam quicksave constantly and frequently end up quickloading after someone gets one-shot.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Okay, I'm a little annoyed. This is about Neera in the endgame.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, so I have been everywhere, done pretty much everything. If something doesn't have a swordhole through it, I was feeling charitable. The tales of the Sword Coast have been told and I was the victor. Cain would have been appalled at my solution to sibling rivalry. Dorn achieved his goals and told me a story. Rasaad stormed the Storm Peaks and proved why Viconia would have not been his friend. A fat wild mage turned into a mouse and then gave me an unenchanted belt before disappearing and/or exploding. I am satisfied with Dorn and Rasaad, but Neera's story seems to cut off midway through. One minute she's talking about she would like to consider a relationship next time there's time, then a scottish hobbit has to be bought off. That conversation ends on a pretty positive note. So I'm curious, how is it that three chapters (including all of the TotSC content) have passed and I haven't heard another word from her? Did I screw something up? Is that all the farther they got, and the rest will be in BG2EE? Is there some other trigger I've missed?

I guess what I'm really asking here is, has anyone seen any stage further than contemplative on this romance they advertised?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

I think Dynaheir's quest doesn't work right. I rescue her, but whether I tell them to leave there and then or accept them into the party, the quest is not flagged as finished. And I recieve no experience for completing it if I don't recruit Dynaheir.

15. - Top - End - #765

So Edwin has all of those delicious spell slots to fill, but what should I buy for him to fill them with?

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So Edwin has all of those delicious spell slots to fill, but what should I buy for him to fill them with?
    Just some comments:
    1. Color spray stays useful till enemies have 5 or more HD (which is a while, after bandit camp?) Casting speed is fast, bigger area than 3.5 version (30 ft compared to 3.5's 15 ft)
    2. Sleep is just amazing versus humanoids like kobolds, bandits, 1 ogre, etc.
    3. Blind is a great debuff, but single target so only goof when facing a few pwerful foes like ogres, bosses (any named enemy)
    4. Armor/shield if he needs AC bonus.
    5. MM is good later when it deals multiple missiles
    6. That life stealing necromancer spell that deals 4 damage and heals you 4
    (saves a few cure spells and hurts enemy)

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Chromatic Orb. All of them.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

So I'm remembering why I refuse to play D&D at level 1. Everyone in my party, tanks included, dies if you so much as breathe on them too hard. I have to spam quicksave constantly and frequently end up quickloading after someone gets one-shot.
    Make sure everyone is wearing the best armor you can find. Make sure thay all have ranged weapons they are proficient with, and lots of ammo. Have plenty of Cures prepared. Don't charge into melee, use ranged weapons until your enemies get up to your melee guys. This is a game where there are plenty of enemies you just don't want to fight until you are nearly maxed out in level and gear, if you encounter any, just run away.

Also, every time I have added Kagain to my party, he has been killed by lightning bolts (not random weather ones, just normal spell ones). Just a little advice if you want to use him. His low dex and str hurts - he's tough, but he gets hit easily and can't hit others easily.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    ...and lots of ammo.
    Quick question, did they change the ammo stack size in EE or is it still capped at 40?
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-03 at 04:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Quick question, did they change the ammo stack size in EE or is it still capped at 40?
    It's 80 now.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    It's 80 now.
    Cool, thanks.

...I'll still probably end up editing that so I can stack indefinitely.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Colossus in the Playground

*cough* It's 20 in BG1.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Okay, I'm a little annoyed. This is about Neera in the endgame.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess what I'm really asking here is, has anyone seen any stage further than contemplative on this romance they advertised?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given that romances weren't a factor in the original BG, I assume that this will pick back up in BG2EE.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So where can I pick this up and is there any word yet on BG II?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Look up Beamdog's website (probably beamdog.com or something, but I can't check now due to the work filter).

BG2 is being worked on, and will be released, but I haven't seen an announcement stating when that's more specific than "next year".
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, Burning Hands still appears unable to hit more than one enemy.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Arrows at 80, darts at 80, and bullets at 80 I think.
    Can Good characters get the Blackguard guy to join them?
    I'm trying out a Ranger/Cleric and they limit you to good in A&D as a Ranger.

I love that the map already has icons telling which building's name, I don't have to right click and put name by myself.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't got very far, but my Skirmisher is interesting. He packs as much of a punch as any Fighter normally, but has a noticeably lower AC. However, when he activates his Offensive Spin, he dishes out some serious damage. The Defensive Spin doesn't do much yet - only -2 to AC on level 2.
    Also, does anyone know of any good portrait packs? I know of the ones found on Sorcerer's Place, but I was wondering if there are any I'm unaware of.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Arrows at 80, darts at 80, and bullets at 80 I think.
    Can Good characters get the Blackguard guy to join them?
    I'm trying out a Ranger/Cleric and they limit you to good in A&D as a Ranger.
    Evil characters abandon your party if you have Reputation 18 or higher. I don't think he's specifically programmed to pick fights with anyone, the way Dynaheir+Minsc/Edwin will attack each other.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Evil characters abandon your party if you have Reputation 18 or higher. I don't think he's specifically programmed to pick fights with anyone, the way Dynaheir+Minsc/Edwin will attack each other.
    Sort of. They abandon your party if your reputation changes to 19 or 20. If you recruit him at reputation 20 (Provided recruiting him doesn't drop your reputation, which I don't know, seeing as I don't have the enhanced edition), all he'll do is grumble (Unless they changed that for the enhanced edition). Unless your reputation drops later on and then you bring it back to 19 or 20

EDIT: Also, by removing and unremoving Viconia from your party whenever your reputation goes above 18, you can keep your reputation at 18, and thus leave your Evil companions merely very frustrated (Process- Remove Viconia (+2 reputiation) and go to 20 rep. Rejoin Viconia and lose 2 reputation, puting you at 18. Problem solved)
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-12-03 at 07:08 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe