New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Arrows at 80, darts at 80, and bullets at 80 I think.
    Can Good characters get the Blackguard guy to join them?
    I'm trying out a Ranger/Cleric and they limit you to good in A&D as a Ranger.

I love that the map already has icons telling which building's name, I don't have to right click and put name by myself.
    Dorn can be recruited by good people or evil, although recruiting him in the presence of Ajantis will force you to fight the paladin.

I had a strange bug in my game where, upon reaching 19 rep, Dorn would occasionally just drop out of the party, ask if I really wanted to kick him out, and then join right back up when I told him not to question me.

Combat wise, Dorn is just an evil-aligned Minsc: two-handed sword, heavy armor, insane strength, but mediocre dex. His sword is cool (having any magic weapon by Nashkel Mines requires some level of side-tracking), but a bit lackluster near the end. If you're going to use him the whole time, you may want to consider Bastard Sword/Single Weapon Style for additional proficiencies, as there's not only a quest-won bastard sword in his arc, but also the sword of Balduran (some of the monsters on the TotSC island have immunity to +1 and +2 swords).

Personally, Dorn's worth seeing once, but I don't think he'll have a slot in my party in future games. If I'm going to have a Minsc, it might as well be one that revels in the heroism I favor, rather than chafing at it.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-12-03 at 07:06 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Do alies join/appear same level as you?
    I was full 6 (Me, Imoen, Motaron, Jahiera, Kalid, Nerra) so when Dorn attempted to join I had to send him away back to Friendly Arm Inn, once party is all level 2, I'm thinking of trading Motaron for him after doing some pick pocketing (he has 60 so I think he can suceed)

But man, that arcane ring in Friendly Arm Inn area makes Nerra have like 6 slots at level 2 (doubles 1st level slots).

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's official, at least in my game: Neera's a wild mage.

She just had a magic missile go fireball. In the middle of a town. Killed a nearby commoner. And Rasaad. But hey, she took out the highly dangerous assassin-type we'd been having trouble with! We lost 8 reputation, but hey, it's worth it.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

So... I haven't read any reviews yet. Is this game worth the money? I remember what frustrated me the most at the end was the low level cap. On the other hand... Viconia. My favorite NPC of all times.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #785
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    So... I haven't read any reviews yet. Is this game worth the money? I remember what frustrated me the most at the end was the low level cap. On the other hand... Viconia. My favorite NPC of all times.
    I'm enjoying it a lot. My fiancee has seemingly gotten addicted to it and she had never played a CRPG before. The new way they are doing movies are pretty cool, love the zoom, the changes to Sarevok vs Gorion please the simulationist in me. My complaints are minor... I don't like Neera's voice and I was a bit disappointed by the new portraits (just rehashes from icewind dale, and they clash with the art style).

Looks like a Blade does really well in BGEE, or so says my fiancee. I'm surprised she ditched the Shapeshifter, though, because that seemed ridiculously overpowered.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Unsurprisingly, Rasaad is rather unimpressive at first level. He can't really hit anything and deals little damage if he does. Stunning Fist is good - when he can manage to make it work. I suppose he might get better at 3rd level, when he'll get another attack per round.
    I'm also going to have to use Shadowkeeper to transfer Kivan's proficiency in the halberd to a one-handed weapon of some sort. Otherwise, his two-weapon fighting proficiency is going to waste.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-12-04 at 05:40 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    It's official, at least in my game: Neera's a wild mage.

She just had a magic missile go fireball. In the middle of a town. Killed a nearby commoner. And Rasaad. But hey, she took out the highly dangerous assassin-type we'd been having trouble with! We lost 8 reputation, but hey, it's worth it.
    ....She cast gate when I was fighting Mulahey...thanks Neera...tpk.
    ~ZA

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    ....She cast gate when I was fighting Mulahey...thanks Neera...tpk.
    Speaking of that I was fighting some gnolls when I got a wild surge Gate (when I saw the word Pit fiend I ran to other side of map before the gate opened)

The new belt Gorion wears is good and bad, did he care that much about cold attacks?

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

Not EE-specific BG1 secret item spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is that Cone of Cold Wand hidden in a tree in the Nashkel Mine area still there in EE?

Because, well, put that protection belt on a tank, run him into a group of enemies, then have an invisible mage go in and whip out the wand.

If the belt doesn't set resistance but simply adds 100% you could even cast a protection spell on your tank so cold damage actually heals.

Also, @ Morty, I don't remember where I got all the portraits I'm keeping around from, but if you tell me what kind of portrait you're looking for I could upload some.
    Or I could just zip up the whole folder and throw it up somewhere.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-04 at 09:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Worth is a judgment call, but in this case the important thing is to know what you're buying. A lot of people had the wrong idea and were pissed when they didn't get what they were expecting.

What this is:
    * The original Baldur's Gate using the BG2 engine.
    * Three new Baldur's Gate 2 style allies, and a new Blackguard paladin class.
    * A lot of systemic fixes, but little Unfinished Business.
    * An engine rebuilt for modern computers for better performance and wide screens.
    * A second, completely unrelated arena-style campaign.

What this isn't:
    * Any modification to existing NPCs - only addition is minimal dialog talking to new allies.
    * A new engine - it's just a polished Infinity Engine.
    * An extension/re-imagining of the game - it is the same plot, just with a few extra characters.
    * Complete - The new characters are written in the knowledge that there's a sequel. You get a portion of their story here.
    * Perfect - There are still bugs.

Basically, this is Baldur's Gate Tutu with a number of mods pre-installed. They're good mods, don't get me wrong, but you can achieve most of already with Tutu or the Baldur's Gate Trilogy project.

Is it worth it? I like it. I'll love it once the modders get in gear. BG1NPC will make this game awesome. But don't go in expecting something big. You'll just be disappointed.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

So, this game's going well for me, as a dashing Cavalier type. With a little patience and a lot of luck, I got some amazing statistics to start with.

STR 18/52, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 18

I've picked up the Tomes that boost CON and CHA, so now I've two 18s, and two 19s (!!!). Pretty badass.

I stuck with the canon party to begin with, but eventually dropped Khalid and Jaheira in favour of Neera and Viconia. Hopefully Viconia doesn't up and leave when my Reputation gets very high.

Once I get all of Neera's dialogue, I will likely drop her, since she's so bloody dangerous, and pick up Dorn, to do his sidequest. After Dorn, I'll do Rasaad's. Then, finally, after helping out those new guys, I'll pick up Ajantis, because Team Paladin is cool.

However, I'm having major framerate issues, the game is going very slowly for me.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post

Also, @ Morty, I don't remember where I got all the portraits I'm keeping around from, but if you tell me what kind of portrait you're looking for I could upload some.
    Or I could just zip up the whole folder and throw it up somewhere.
    I'm looking for portraits for my Skirmisher. However, Enchanced Edition uses different portraits sizes - 169x266 for the one in the character sheet and 54x84 for the small version.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Worth is a judgment call, but in this case the important thing is to know what you're buying. A lot of people had the wrong idea and were pissed when they didn't get what they were expecting.

What this is:
    * The original Baldur's Gate using the BG2 engine.
    * Three new Baldur's Gate 2 style allies, and a new Blackguard paladin class.
    * A lot of systemic fixes, but little Unfinished Business.
    * An engine rebuilt for modern computers for better performance and wide screens.
    * A second, completely unrelated arena-style campaign.

What this isn't:
    * Any modification to existing NPCs - only addition is minimal dialog talking to new allies.
    * A new engine - it's just a polished Infinity Engine.
    * An extension/re-imagining of the game - it is the same plot, just with a few extra characters.
    * Complete - The new characters are written in the knowledge that there's a sequel. You get a portion of their story here.
    * Perfect - There are still bugs.

Basically, this is Baldur's Gate Tutu with a number of mods pre-installed. They're good mods, don't get me wrong, but you can achieve most of already with Tutu or the Baldur's Gate Trilogy project.

Is it worth it? I like it. I'll love it once the modders get in gear. BG1NPC will make this game awesome. But don't go in expecting something big. You'll just be disappointed.
    Unlike Tutu, all the major inn/tavern/named area are named: every inn, every major area (Lighthouse named in Lighthouse area), etc.

This makes finding the right building in Buldar's gate, Beregost, etc easier.

A fix that Tutu never did, but is awesome.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

EE also has fully functioning multiplayer (unless that's also bugged right now, I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm looking for portraits for my Skirmisher. However, Enchanced Edition uses different portraits sizes - 169x266 for the one in the character sheet and 54x84 for the small version.
    I have unedited versions of the Neverwinter Nights portraits, but that's kind of it. Most of my stuff is already at BG sizes.

Unless you're looking for female portraits - I've actually got a few of those collected from all over the web, since I've gone looking for them because ones that aren't sexist, boring, or both are kind of hard to come by.
    Still not that many, though.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    EE also has fully functioning multiplayer (unless that's also bugged right now, I guess).

I have unedited versions of the Neverwinter Nights portraits, but that's kind of it. Most of my stuff is already at BG sizes.

Unless you're looking for female portraits - I've actually got a few of those collected from all over the web, since I've gone looking for them because ones that aren't sexist, boring, or both are kind of hard to come by.
    Still not that many, though.
    Does multiplayer on the original inifinty engine no longer work with no computers? The original release of Baldur's Gate had LAN multiplayer (Unless you mean the Enhanced edition has support for playing over the internet)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

The Reckless Dweomer, while entertaining, is highly impractical on low levels. Most of the time, you'll waste a spell.
    And unfortunately, the Enchanced Edition doesn't do much about the imbalanced encounters - the assassins you meet right after leaving the Nashkel mines are a nigh-inevitable TPK.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

The Reckless Dweomer, while entertaining, is highly impractical on low levels. Most of the time, you'll waste a spell.
    And unfortunately, the Enchanced Edition doesn't do much about the imbalanced encounters - the assassins you meet right after leaving the Nashkel mines are a nigh-inevitable TPK.
    Yeah, I've started noticing that. Even after casting that Wild Surge Shielding spell I still have bad "trips" when she casts spells.

Which assassins?

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

The amazon brigade that jumps you after you leave the Nashkel Mines. They're actually pretty easy to miss, since you need to head north to run into them - if you take any other direction, you'll never meet them, I think. I defeated them by dialing the difficulty down to Easy and chugging buff potions. On the plus side, they have really good gear for that level and give a good chunk of XP each.
    As for Neera, sometimes the spells don't work right after casting the Reckless Dweomer even though they should. So I'll have her cast spells normally for now.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I killed them the way I've killed every other multi-enemy fight, via sight-range abuse to lure them away from their friends to be jumped and killed one by one. The one with the Glyphs of Warding still forced three or four reloads, though.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Is it worth it? It's Baldur's Gate. Just give them your money. :)

Okay Nostalgia Filter off for a moment: Did you enjoy Baldur's Gate the first time around? Then what you're buying is a new version of it with the prettier engine of Baldur's Gate 2, and all the good and bad points therein. If you like it before, you'll like it now. If you didn't, you won't. And if you didn't play it before, GO PLAY IT NOW BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME. Ahem. Okay, so the storyline isn't as intricately woven as the web of Baldur's Gate 2, or Planescape Torment, but it's still solid enough that you feel you're discovering it naturally, and have a reason to 'Go here, kill this guy.' Ultimately it's an excuse to kill things, but that's D&D.

In closing: MINSC! And BOO! And GARRICK, because he's the least annoying bard in the series.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    And GARRICK, because he's the least annoying bard in the series.
    Hm, at least the Polish dubbing of the game causes me to strip him of his possessions in exchange for the Belt of Gender Changing so that his genitals match my preferred description of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Banned

I actually like Haer'Dalis and Eldoth

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Triaxx;14325206]Is it worth it? It's Baldur's Gate. Just give them your money. :)

Okay Nostalgia Filter off for a moment: Did you enjoy Baldur's Gate the first time around? Then what you're buying is a new version of it with the prettier engine of Baldur's Gate 2, and all the good and bad points therein. If you like it before, you'll like it now. [QUOTE]

I loved it, however after getting BG2 I realized how inferior it really was. I played through BG1 somewhere between 8 and 12 times (don't remember) but I played through BG2 18-22 times.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-12-05 at 03:17 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

24. - Top - End - #804

The sleep spell will knock out the two archers in the group, which I found helped immensely.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

Sword Coast Stratagems makes the two assassin parties you meet in random wilderness areas actively seek you out after clearing the Nashkel Mines, meaning they spawn as you enter pretty much any outside area, and gives them extra levels (or one extra level, I don't really know; they're all immune to Sleep).
    So you can't avoid them, and you can't really buff up before the fight, meaning you have to come up with ways to deal with them.

I've gotten used to it, but between Hold Person and Darts of Wounding, the fight against the female assassins can go so horribly wrong so fast, sometimes it just forces a reload.

Still a lot of fun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I actually like Haer'Dalis and Eldoth
    +1, pretty much. Eldoth is kind of brought down by being tied to Skie, who I want to like but can't because they just took the spoiled rich girl thing a bit too far.

I also kind of like Garrick, but I've never really kept him around for long. I just get tired of him.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-05 at 03:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

The amazon brigade that jumps you after you leave the Nashkel Mines. They're actually pretty easy to miss, since you need to head north to run into them - if you take any other direction, you'll never meet them, I think. I defeated them by dialing the difficulty down to Easy and chugging buff potions. On the plus side, they have really good gear for that level and give a good chunk of XP each.
    I killed them by chance, mostly. Their lead cleric threw a Glyph on my melee guys, and it killed her own team as well as my men, leaving herself alone. Which then I promptly corrected by spamming Chromatic Orb and Magic Missile.

Admittedly, I got three people dead, but I just shrugged and paid 1k to raise them all back.

Also, on unrelated news, I had a bug with Mulahey, where he summoned his goons both at the start of the battle, and when he surrendered. (6 skeletons + 8 kobolds) x2 + Mulahey = Fun battle.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-12-05 at 06:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

I had the same bug, if it is a bug. After reloading, I turned down his offer of surrender to avoid it.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

I had the same bug, if it is a bug. After reloading, I turned down his offer of surrender to avoid it.
    Oh I remember him. The second wake-up boss (after the one mage at the Inn entrance).

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I remember him. The second wake-up boss (after the one mage at the Inn entrance).
    Wake-up boss? I'll give you the mage at the Inn entrance, but Mulahey didn't feel that hard, really. The "amazon brigade" discussed earlier was a lot harder, in my opinion.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Wake-up boss? I'll give you the mage at the Inn entrance, but Mulahey didn't feel that hard, really. The "amazon brigade" discussed earlier was a lot harder, in my opinion.
    Yeah that's true. But I never seemed to have that much more trouble with them than with Mulahey.