New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

A mod that expands on their relationship, yeah, why not?

But a romance? Can't see that work at all. I mean, Minsc is almost child-like, and even if he wasn't I don't think he has the kind of depth of character to him that a romance would require.

I also can't really see Aerie or Nalia going for him.

Oh, and, hey, I like Nalia, so I want to see no more of these annoyed smilies in the future, son.

Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-06 at 11:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have installed BG1 NPC, and so far it's working with my current game.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    A mod that expands on their relationship, yeah, why not?

But a romance? Can't see that work at all. I mean, Minsc is almost child-like, and even if he weren't I don't think he has the kind of depth of character to him that a romance would require.

I also can't really see Aerie or Nalia going for him.
    Well no... I guess not. Still expanding on relationship might be interesting. If someone were to experiment too, perhaps link that up with the planned-but-never-finished Aerie-Haer'Dalis relationship and see chaos happen

Oh, and, hey, I like Nalia, so I want to see no more of these annoyed Smilies in the future, son.

Personal preference really, besides she's a suitable secondary mage if needed and there are worse party members (at least 2 for me) to bring along anyways.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    the planned-but-never-finished Aerie-Haer'Dalis relationship and see chaos happen
    Agh. Why will this meme not die?

Aerie and Haer'Dalis have a complete romance in the game.

It doesn't end in Happily Ever After; it ends with Aerie dumping Haer'Dalis after she realizes that he's completely serious about not understanding the concept of morality. That does not mean it is incomplete, that it is not in the game, or that Bioware ever planned to put in more.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Agh. Why will this meme not die?

Aerie and Haer'Dalis have a complete romance in the game.

It doesn't end in Happily Ever After; it ends with Aerie dumping Haer'Dalis after she realizes that he's completely serious about not understanding the concept of morality. That does not mean it is incomplete, that it is not in the game, or that Bioware ever planned to put in more.
    Huh? I thought the romance was never placed in the game and needs a mod to see.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The Xan romance actually works rather well, I think. It does require expanding his character, and some degree of character development on his part, but it's actually rather sweet, I think.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

I have never seen it, but I can only imagine a Xan romance to be a horrible train wreck.
    I mean, I like him, but it's a joke character, why even write a romance?

It's almost as weird as one for Minsc would be.

By the way, you can get the Moonblade animation for all kinds of flaming swords from the One Pixel Productions mod. 1PP is great in general.
    Would you prefer a Boo romance?
    "Squeak Squeak squeak"
    "Minsc will you translate
    "Minsc": he says he loves you"
    "Yes, Boo I love you too"
    "Squeak Squeak "
    "Minsc: So naughty Boo, I will not translate that part suffice it to say he is trying to woo you"

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

A Minsk romance would have been hilarious. Who says these things always have to be so deadly serious?

And you have got to admit that anything would have been better than the Anomen, right...?

Actually, I find the ironic thing about BG2 was that the characters who I would have chosen to have romances with weren't on the list (except via mods...!), and those that were, I probably wouldn't. Not that Jahiera and Aerie (I've never played with an evil party) were bad... (okay, Aerie whined a bit - no, she did, even if it was not as much as the standing joke goes. Though to be fair, I'd whine too if I'd magically become immune to top level healing spells. Seriously, BG2, by the end of ToB were stupid levels; you seriously telling me that Heal and Wish can't sort her wings out? Pull the other one, guys, I'm callin' cobblers on that; and no "can't have flight in the game engine" is not an excuse, given the amount of winged monsters in the game, either...! (Plus I don't recall anyone moaning about Fall-From-Grace in PS:T not being able to fly...)

On the other hand, I'd pretty much have said that about a lot of Black Isle/Obsidian games and there romancable characters, so... (Here's hoping that Eternity - if it even has them - bucks the trend! While people may moan about the execution sometimes, I still sort of prefer Bioware's general level of permissivity on that issue to Obsidian's minimal choices (especially as I don't think Obsidian's were any better done). But this is getting into a highly volitile minefield, so I'll not tread there any further.)

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

The thing with Aerie's wings is rather typical for D&D games. Creating tension and drama can get hard if you have magic that can fix almost everything unless even stronger magic prevents it from doing it. It's fine on lower levels but like you said - when you reach higher ones, there's really nothing preventing Aerie from fixing it. It's not as bad about it as some other games, though - I'm looking at you, NWN2.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

I have never seen it, but I can only imagine a Xan romance to be a horrible train wreck.
    I mean, I like him, but it's a joke character, why even write a romance?
    It's fairly sweet actually. Personally, I like it more than the romances that come with the game (save for Viccy, who I adore beyond words).

And Xan's a joke character? Since when?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Neera's personal quest ends in a fight that I'm inclined to call a little overpowered.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, Erkandor is at least level 7, and his lackey is at least level 5. Not sure about their barbarian bodyguards, but based on the number of hits it took those bastards to finally die, they definetly have some levels under their belts. I beat them eventually, but Erkandor's flame shield killed Kivan. I could have avoided it if I'd used his potion of magic resistance. Oh well. Ressurection is cheap.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-12-06 at 03:30 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Would you prefer a Boo romance?
    "Squeak Squeak squeak"
    "Minsc will you translate
    "Minsc": he says he loves you"
    "Yes, Boo I love you too"
    "Squeak Squeak "
    "Minsc: So naughty Boo, I will not translate that part suffice it to say he is trying to woo you"
    This. ASAP.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    A Minsk romance would have been hilarious. Who says these things always have to be so deadly serious?
    My inner LinaxGourry shipper just tingled and made me smile happily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Neera's personal quest ends in a fight that I'm inclined to call a little overpowered.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, Erkandor is at least level 7, and his lackey is at least level 5. Not sure about their barbarian bodyguards, but based on the number of hits it took those bastards to finally die, they definetly have some levels under their belts. I beat them eventually, but Erkandor's flame shield killed Kivan. I could have avoided it if I'd used his potion of magic resistance. Oh well. Ressurection is cheap.
    Silence ended the fight before it started. They cast 1 spell between them before getting sworded for me.
    ~ZA

15. - Top - End - #855
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So I've given up trying to assassinate Drizzt, the BG:EE code apparently fixed all the loopholes that make it possible to kill him at low levels. He'll hit summons even if he's out of your party's LOS, he can path around the lake to the island and will attack summons blocking him...sigh. I wanted those scimitars.

EDIT: Never mind. Tried my last, worst idea....kite him in circles while spamming ranged projectiles. Apparently he's still stupid enough to fall for that. Now what do I do with all this shiny gear he had? I guess I could retrain Kagain to wield scimitars?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-06 at 10:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder, does the sit-stay technique still work? IE: Position four party members around him, kick them, then ventilate him with arrows, because he won't attack neutrals and they won't move?

On Anomen 'Romance': The Sea Troll in the sewers would have been a more pleasant and enjoyable option.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So I've given up trying to assassinate Drizzt, the BG:EE code apparently fixed all the loopholes that make it possible to kill him at low levels. He'll hit summons even if he's out of your party's LOS, he can path around the lake to the island and will attack summons blocking him...sigh. I wanted those scimitars.

EDIT: Never mind. Tried my last, worst idea....kite him in circles while spamming ranged projectiles. Apparently he's still stupid enough to fall for that. Now what do I do with all this shiny gear he had? I guess I could retrain Kagain to wield scimitars?
    Trapping him between 4 npcs is another strategy people used to use.

Also, finally got done reinstalling all my mods for my copy of the original game. So... Question then... What are the mods you can't go without?

For me, I always have the BG2 tweak pack, Sword Coast strategems (for the Ease of Use AI if nothing else- That thing's a life saver), BG1 NPC project, Item Upgrade Mod and Underrepresented Items (Suddenly, choosing which weapon to take is less a matter of optimization and more of personal taste), and the unfinished business mods.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Also, finally got done reinstalling all my mods for my copy of the original game. So... Question then... What are the mods you can't go without?

For me, I always have the BG2 tweak pack, Sword Coast strategems (for the Ease of Use AI if nothing else- That thing's a life saver), BG1 NPC project, Item Upgrade Mod and Underrepresented Items (Suddenly, choosing which weapon to take is less a matter of optimization and more of personal taste), and the unfinished business mods.
    The widescreen mod, although that is probably obsolete for the Enhanced Edition.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

I never used Xan... I took one look at him, concluded that a melee wizard with a horrible annoying voice (good voice acting, but awful voice) would slow me down, and kicked him out. My standard team would be Viconia, Shar-Teel, Dynaheir, Jaheira and depending on if I played thief or not Ajantis, Imoen or whatshername, the "sexy" thief.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-12-07 at 02:54 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I never used Xan... I took one look at him, concluded that a melee wizard with a horrible annoying voice (good voice acting, but awful voice) would slow me down, and kicked him out. My standard team would be Viconia, Shar-Teel, Dynaheir, Jaheira and depending on if I played thief or not Ajantis, Imoen or whatshername, the "sexy" thief.
    Safana?

I like Xan, ultimately. If I didn't already have Neera, I would get him, but she's a lot more talkative (being a BGEE NPC), so, yeah.

"Your quest is vaaain." gets me every time, though.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Safana?

I like Xan, ultimately. If I didn't already have Neera, I would get him, but she's a lot more talkative (being a BGEE NPC), so, yeah.

"Your quest is vaaain." gets me every time, though.
    Yes that's her. To be fair I was a teenager at the time. It's not like I prefer aggressively sexy women in tight or scantly clothing anymore... Ahem...

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Heh.

Tangentially, is it me, or are all the pure-class thieves in the game female?

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Heh.

Tangentially, is it me, or are all the pure-class thieves in the game female?
    Yes. And that includes all the ones I designed myself.

Incidentally, this is the game where my name comes from. Avilan the Grey was my first mage / thief (modded to have the mage clothing. Grey, of course). He went all the way through BGII as well.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Banned

No, it's right there in the game.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

So is this version worth getting if I already own the old games?
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    Silence ended the fight before it started. They cast 1 spell between them before getting sworded for me.
    Ah, yes. I didn't have Silence prepared and I didn't want to rest right before the fight - it would feel like cheating. I suppose I'll have to make sure Branwen keeps it prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    No, it's right there in the game.
    You may be confusing it with the romance between Haer'Dalis and the female protagonist, which I think was supposed to be in the game but ended up getting cut. I could be wrong as well, of course.

27. - Top - End - #867

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Yes. And that includes all the ones I designed myself.

Incidentally, this is the game where my name comes from. Avilan the Grey was my first mage / thief (modded to have the mage clothing. Grey, of course). He went all the way through BGII as well.
    Mine too. Zelt Arruin the wizard guy, evoker.
    ~ZA

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

They really should stop putting romance in RPG games. Not because they're usually silly or creepy or bizarre (which they are) and most game writers are bad at writing in general and romance stuff in particular (which they are), but because they cause awful romance mods and horrible "fanart" to flood the internet. Rule34 will always be rule34, it doesn't need official encouragement from developers.

It can also make the game a lot stupider, a relevant example from BG would be having a baby in our inventory. What exactly does that add to the game aside from questions about the weirdness of the situation? Or what does it say about a writer who writes about romancing two cousins simultaneously that ends with a threesome? Granted, these are extreme examples, but dumb happens often with RPG romances. I'd prefer to minimize the amount of dumb in my games about wizards and dragons.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Do you actually get a baby in your inventory in Baldur's Gate? I mean, I know that the protagonist can get Aerie pregnant, but I have no idea if she can actually give birth during the game.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

I know I've seen the item listed in ShadowKeeper. I assume that she gives birth during the interval between SoA and ToB, so you would have it in your inventory during the expansion. Which begs the question of how Aerie would react if you chucked it on the ground and left it somewhere...

I'm also pretty sure that she only gets pregnant if you sleep with her the first time she offers (which terminates the romance, resulting in Bodhi not killing her).
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.