New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637
Results 1,081 to 1,103 of 1103
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Animastryfe View Post
    I have only snuck into the Bandit camp before, and I think if you choose that path then Tazok will always automatically stop the fight once you've done enough damage to him. I didn't know that he was killable at this stage.

Edit: How do you all use thieves in combat? Hide in Shadows for the initial backstab, then what? NPCs use potions of invisibility repeatedly in combat, but that seems far too expensive.
    Yeah, I've killed him in the original game, anyway. As soon as he turns neutral, you pause and set up a fiery barrage to deal as much damage as possible. Think they made it impossible to kill him there in BGEE.

I don't usually bother with backstabbing unless it's the main character doing it, like with my old Elf Stalker. I've always just had Imoen, Yoshimo, etc sit back and launch arrows, unless the circumstances warrant fighting with a sword. Swashbuckler Imoen specialized in short bows is a pretty reliable shot.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Troll in the Playground

Thieves can't wear Drizzt's chain mail, but I believe rangers can stealth while wearing it.

How you use thieves in combat varies depending on how much micromanaging and/or pre-fight positioning you want to do. You can set it up so that the bad guys charge your front-liners, and the spot they stop just happens to be right where your thief can stick a pointy thing in their backs, then just have the thief slide around the dudes surrounding your tank and stabbity them each in turn. If the enemy group has a caster, it's always fun to position your thief right behind said caster before you facepull the group with the rest of your party and imagine the look on his face when the point of a sword suddenly appears beneath his sternum when he's trying to cast.

A well-kitted assassin in a place with lots of LoS-blocking things can cut down an entire group by himself - I've had an assassin waltz through the mind flayer compound in BG2 a couple rooms ahead of the rest of the group (far enough to be out of their LoS but close enough that they could get in to support him if I screwed up) and gank one, run around the corner and go back into stealth before they got their stuns off, rinse and repeat until they were all dead. Little slow and tedious, but I cleared the whole area without anyone in my party taking a single point of damage.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Thieves can't wear Drizzt's chain mail, but I believe rangers can stealth while wearing it.
    Yeah, this is true. I usually play a ranger and that's its most useful quality.
    Last edited by hobbitkniver; 2013-01-03 at 03:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny. If that's the case, perhaps a fighter-thief could stealth in it as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Dwarf in the Playground

How you use thieves in combat varies depending on how much micromanaging and/or pre-fight positioning you want to do. You can set it up so that the bad guys charge your front-liners, and the spot they stop just happens to be right where your thief can stick a pointy thing in their backs, then just have the thief slide around the dudes surrounding your tank and stabbity them each in turn. If the enemy group has a caster, it's always fun to position your thief right behind said caster before you facepull the group with the rest of your party and imagine the look on his face when the point of a sword suddenly appears beneath his sternum when he's trying to cast.

A well-kitted assassin in a place with lots of LoS-blocking things can cut down an entire group by himself - I've had an assassin waltz through the mind flayer compound in BG2 a couple rooms ahead of the rest of the group (far enough to be out of their LoS but close enough that they could get in to support him if I screwed up) and gank one, run around the corner and go back into stealth before they got their stuns off, rinse and repeat until they were all dead. Little slow and tedious, but I cleared the whole area without anyone in my party taking a single point of damage.
    So using backstab more often than once per battle requires a place for the thief to retreat to in order to use Hide in Shadows. Hide in Shadows doesn't automatically work even if the enemy does not have line of sight, right? Or perhaps that's because I never put points into Imoen's Hide in Shadows or Move Silently skills.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Animastryfe View Post
    So using backstab more often than once per battle requires a place for the thief to retreat to in order to use Hide in Shadows. Hide in Shadows doesn't automatically work even if the enemy does not have line of sight, right? Or perhaps that's because I never put points into Imoen's Hide in Shadows or Move Silently skills.
    Both Hide and Move silently are calculated to "hide" (yeah it uses both for the % chance), but this total /2 (how it is calculated) is added upon if done in Shadows

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

I don't recall whether Invisibility (or Improved Invisibility) allows a thief to backstab. If so, that would give mages one decent fourth-level damage-dealing (albeit indirectly) spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1088

Yes, thieves can backstab from invisibility. In fact, if you have a mage/thief, they can cast mislead and it will allow them to backstab until it wears off (or the image is destroyed) - mislead doesn't weaken at all on attacking. Of course, this is not relevant to BGEE, because it's too high level.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

In the original game, where you the ring of invisibility activated whenever you equipped it, this could be used for some rather silly thief shenanigans if you used a multiplayer game (You needn't actually create more than one character, just start a LAN game) and could thus open your inventory with the game paused.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

10. - Top - End - #1090

So, for future reference, killing the priest of Helm in Nashkel doesn't lower reputation. This may only be after returning Brage to the temple though (that's how I did it; haven't tried it other ways). He's worth 1400 exp, and has a +1 mace.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just bought this for the PC and am eager to play it.

I also want to buy it for the iPad, but am not willing to update to 6.0 iOS. Waiting for the 5.1+ compatibility release.

12. - Top - End - #1092

For some reason I like Baldur's Gate the first best. I don't see any reason to buy this EE though, I have a Tutu already and it's highly moddable. But why do I like the original better than Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal? I guess I like the silly characters best, like Alora and Xan (such a contrast!).

I have one question though. I don't remember what to do with Joseph's Greenstone ring out of Nashkel Mines. It tends to stay with me the whole game because obviously it's for something...

13. - Top - End - #1093

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    For some reason I like Baldur's Gate the first best. I don't see any reason to buy this EE though, I have a Tutu already and it's highly moddable. But why do I like the original better than Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal? I guess I like the silly characters best, like Alora and Xan (such a contrast!).

I have one question though. I don't remember what to do with Joseph's Greenstone ring out of Nashkel Mines. It tends to stay with me the whole game because obviously it's for something...
    There's a house in the east side of Nashkel with a woman who asks for it.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    There's a house in the east side of Nashkel with a woman who asks for it.
    Locked. You'll have to pick or bash the door to get in to get the quest, but oddly the woman isn't upset that you broke her door down.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post

I can grok that reasoning.

For me, the main reason I love the EE is that I've had issues getting BG1 and 2 to run. As such, a version that runs painlessly (well, for me, I know many integrated graphics users have had issues), and fixes bugs and some UI difficulties was exactly what I wanted.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Colossus in the Playground

You are a barbarian.

Er, this is a response to your sig, not an insult.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You are a barbarian.

Er, this is a response to your sig, not an insult.
    My sig was made back when I was a Dorf. I like Dorfs. Unfortunately I've posted more since then.

(My BGEE char is a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric too...I dunno, I just really like Dwarves when given the option.)

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Locked. You'll have to pick or bash the door to get in to get the quest, but oddly the woman isn't upset that you broke her door down.
    It's been a while for me, but I'm nearly certain I've completed that quest (a number of times, even!) and I don't remember having to pick or bash a door to do so.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1099

So this game is now on Steam. Anyone know if we can transfer it over for free?

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    So this game is now on Steam. Anyone know if we can transfer it over for free?
    Well, you can add any game to run through Steam. In terms of achievements (if there are any), I dunno, baldursgate.com might be a better place to ask.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Troll in the Playground

I've run into an issue. Pretty much any time I pick up a weapon in the inventory screen, my cursor disappears. Anyone know how to fix it?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've run into an issue. Pretty much any time I pick up a weapon in the inventory screen, my cursor disappears. Anyone know how to fix it?
    My brother had that issue. IIRC the solutions were toggle software cursor (which will cause less mouse smoothing etc., an unfortunate side effect), and try windowed mode (you can edit the .ini file to adjust the windowed mode dimensions).

I haven't checked in about a week, but they are aware of the issue, though I'm sure fixing it in the code is a) more complicated than it seems, and b) lower priority than some other things. Dunno if they've stated much on intent/timing.

a) is pretty much a given when it comes to computer code.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Andris, one of the first three wizards that you meet on the mage prison island as part of a quest from Ulgoth's Beard, is immortal, probably from a bug. I can reduce his HP down to "near death", but he does not die. Has anyone else encountered this bug?