New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Here be Dragons [IC]

The gnome laughs. "Beer it is, then, I guess!" She makes a show of looking about the tavern. If there is an empty table near the humans or dwarves already drinking, she'll take it, and won't discourage anyone else from sitting by near her. If the tavern is so crowded that there are no empty tables, she'll look for a mixed table to sit with, reasoning that those are more likely to be strangers sitting together, or travelers.

Since she can't actually get drunk, she plans to sip at her beer slowly and listen in on conversation. If someone says something interesting, she's willing to commit a minor faux pas and insert herself into the conversation in an attempt to learn more.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Ripley looks at Sharp, and says, "Hello, my name is Ripley." His voice drops as he continues, "I'm here to see Maron about the... about the map." He begins to glance around wildly, trying to take everything in, with particular interest being placed on Sharp and on the woman in armor.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Rosapia
    Spoiler
    Show

It doesn't take long for Rosapia to sit down and get her own beer. Almost as she sits down into an empty table in order to get some information she hears...
    -John, John, let's get some whores.
    There is a dwarf shouting a song about some dude named John and his quest to get whores. Whenever he sang "John, John, let's get some whores" the crowd would reply.
    -I cannot go, my mother doesn't let me.
    And the dwarf would shout back to his heart contempt.
    -Yes you can go, your mother is the owner.
    His singing included some obscenities, including a Pelor priest leading the whore expedition or John's fiance being the main course of the brothel. After more verses than is reasonable another dwarf sits at the table, he is wearing full armor and its made of sheets of black slate, he has a Mohawk and a really short beard both dried in shiny red.
    -Mind if sit here? Snorti is too noisy.
    Once the dwarf has poured a beer and ordered another one he introduces himself.
    -I am Colonel Farri Farrinson nice to meet you lad. Are you interested in joining the wall defenders by any chance?
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Broken Tree is the dwarf tavern in Arcadia and most of the male dwarf population in a fighting age are enrolled into the Wall Defenders, other than Farri a few other wear the traditional slate armor, but not many.

Ripley
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Ripley mentions the map Sharp snorts and the woman in armor approaches, she seems to have finished her business with the man dressed a buffoon who is waiting nearby. She offers Ripley her hand.

-Marcia Longshadow of the Silent Knights, a pleasure to meet you. Maron is busy at the moment, isn't he Assend?

Sharp takes a step back and looks at the woman with careful eye.

-Aye the master is busy, but the lad can wait inside.

Marcia doesn't lower her hand but nods slightly.

-Good luck with your interview Mr Ripley.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-18 at 01:29 PM.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

4. - Top - End - #34

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad turns his back to the elf. "Right, I'd better get right on that." He's had about all he can handle of such a condescending creature, especially one that would be so easily squished. Vlad would prefer to deal with a source of information that he can stomach. He heads to the local tavern.
    Currently playing a lot of Shadowrun. My current tabletop characters are...
    Niz Yorick, Gray Elf Rogue Hunter in Into the Woods
    Anvil, Navajo Rigger in 24-7, Life of a Shadowrunner
    Old Spook, Ork Infiltrator of the Custodial persuasion in Call of the Street

5. - Top - End - #35

BardGuy

Ripley shakes Marcia's hand. "Thanks. I've never met a Silent Knight before. Well, I best be off, I'll be in the waiting room." Ripley heads off inside to wait for Maron.

6. - Top - End - #36

ElfRangerGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: There are three taverns in Arcadia; Broken Tree base of operations of the Wall defenders, were most of the dwarf population of Arcadia gathers; Drunk Unicorn at the outskirts of Arcadia mostly used by thieves to exchange the merchandise; and Ogre's Belly the one by the arena were most fighters gather and the closest one to your location atm. Which one do you mean?

Ripley
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman utters some words in draconic that Ripley understands clearly as: "May the mother never lose her child." She then smiles slightly vows and gets back to the man that was waiting for her, both of them leave talking quietly.

As the woman leaves Shar opens the door and shows Ripley his way through a long corridor decorated with luxury. A soft red carpet covers the floor and the walls are full of paintings, not portraits like many nobles use to fancy but landscapes, everyone of them is signed by Maron and has a date. There are also several chandeliers that hold candles yet to be lit, even if they seem old and they certainly see use there is no stain of wax at any point. The roof is decorated with a sky scenery pale blues and soft whites represent the firmament and clouds.

He leads the way to another door, a simple oak door with a golden handler, that opens to a big circular room. The room is decorated with the same taste that the corridor, having a thick and rich carpet over the wooden floor and some other paintings on the walls. There are several bookshelves that look cramped with books and mementos. Many are marked with letters or numbers, or a combination of both, but any organization seems to escape you at the moment. A double door awaits at the end of the room and some sound come muffled from it.

There are four people in the room, gnome sitting on his own backpack, that is probably bigger than himself, and reading a book. An old knight donned in full armor waiting by the double door with his eyes closed, probably sleeping. And two women talking by the bookshelves.

-Wait here until you are summoned. -Says Sharp before leaving.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can hear what the two women are saying with a listen check; DC 25
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-18 at 02:56 PM.
    Currently playing:

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Nor turns to the woman slowly, looking her over once without expression. Just as she was about to say something, she felt a slight tug on the edge of her perception and effortlessly shifted into her inner reality. The world before her was replaced by the featureless black of her inner world, blurred shaped slowly forming in the background as several sub-minds awakened.

Reaction? What is your input? Nor asks, her attention on the sub-mind that had contacted her. Instantly, waves of thought wash through her perception.

I know you aren't really interested in this supposed person, so could I take over this interaction?

Such a request was uncommon, but Reaction was generally the sub-mind that asked to be able to take over the most. Seeing no real reason to decline, Nor pulls Reaction into a bundle of light, shifting upwards to just above her normal mind-space and placing the materialized sub-mind at the front of her being. This would allow her to control the body but still keep Nor in a position to take over if needed.

In the outer reality, a tenth of a second passed and suddenly Nor smiled widely.

"Hi, Aivlis, I'm Nor~," Reaction-Nor said, her tone not just friendly but also flirtateous.

Within her mind, Nor turned her attention to the recently materialized Meta. It was the only sub-mind with the needed power to come here alone. As usual, it came unbidden and cloaked by barely-concealed strength.

You allow sub-minds like Reaction to act in such absurd ways, just to enjoy how they can force humorous changes on the world, yet even my most sensible requests are denied? Thought waves didn't have tone, but Nor could feel the intentions behind even Meta's communications. It was a semi-emotional sub-mind, and right now its emotions were at the forefront of its thoughts. Turning her attention back to the outer reality, allowing Meta to continue watching, Nor watches Reaction continue. The sub-mind had done such things before, and it was always entertaining to watch.

"I'm sorry, I don't have any parchment, but...I'm curious. What do you need it for?" Reaction-Nor continued, fluttering her eyes at the cloaked woman. The sub-mind was almost as skilled as Nor in interacting with those in the outer reality and enjoyed causing confusion as well as embarassment with its words. It was also hungry for any other emotions it happened to find, so no matter what happened it was always happy with the result.

Nor, not as focused on the woman before her as Reaction, notices someone else entering the room at the edge of her perception, and gives Reaction a signal that she may take control if the new one proves interesting.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-06-18 at 02:47 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

8. - Top - End - #38

ElfRangerGuy

Nor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aivlis blushes slightly without a lot of luck hiding it. She looks at Nor gazing for a moment the bookshelf behind her.

-Well it's just that I was thinking of making a copy of Maron's map, I have great memory, once I see something I can recall it almost exactly later. It's great, it all started when I was a little girl and I went to school with Lady Marcia. Not Marcia Longshadow, no, I mean, Marcia Merryweather the teacher. She was not a teacher. She actually was a nun. But well she acted as the teacher. Oh... sorry it happens. Talk to much.

She blushes in a deeper red and gazes nervously on the room to check if the other people are talking, then she realizes that a new person arrived to the meeting he seems a bit lost [insert Ripley's missing description here] and lowers her tone to almost a whisper.

-If that map is real, and it shows the location of the moon temple we shouldn't be thinking about looting it but studying it. The vast knowledge of dragons for ages, could be... incredible. Don't you think?
    Currently playing:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Madoc

Spoiler
    Show
    "Many thanks, Earth-Friend. And rest assured, if I find any good stones, for the wall or otherwise, you'll know about it." With a sly wink, Madoc practically danced out the door. It had been too long since he had a job, a REAL job, something that would challenge him. And now he did.
    Madoc clicked his heels, summoning up the bands of wind he bound to his feet. Floating just a few inches off the ground, he began walking towards the temple the dwarf directed him to. Sure, his Airstep Sandals weren't any faster than walking, and they were fairly consipicuous, but they were much more fun.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

10. - Top - End - #40

BardGuy

Listen:(1d20+1)[20]

If his listening isn't successful, he will take a seat and wait until something interesting happens.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmmmmm." Reaction-Nor says slowly, considering Aivlis' words. "Don't worry about talking too much, I could listen to you for quite some time without problem, she says, smiling. "As for the temple...Well, that's true. We could probably learn quite a bit from what we find. Some things we can study on the way back, of course, and others won't be small or light enough to take, Reaction-Nor adds.

Nor considers the new person in the room for a few moments, deciding that she would open communication later if she felt the urge to do so. For now, Reaction would be allowed to be in control.

12. - Top - End - #42

ElfRangerGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf waives her hand in a goodbye to the big Goliath. It doesn't take really long to get to the Ogre's Belly, the door is high and big and even the frame of the Goliath cannot entirely fill it. The tavern is decorated with portraits of fighters, most of them drawn on a fighting pose over a defeated enemy. Almost all of them are big men, humans, orcs, half orcs, some half giants, with good armors and two handed weapons. Some of them depict twice the same fighter, over different enemies, a few thrice and no more than five have the same victor four times in a row. Only the most recent pictures, they still don't have as many smoke stains as the others, break the pace, there are seven of them depicting a young elf woman, almost naked and dyed in red she doesn't wear nor armor nor weapons and she seems calm. Several people sit on circular tables sipping beers. Most of them are more are armored, with a prevalence of light leather armor. The bar keeper is a big ogre, with a bigger beer belly, that is wearing only a pair of leather pants and an old dirty apron.

-What will it be?

Madoc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Madoc gets there pretty fast avoiding easily the turns of the Arcadian streets. As he lands and walks towards he sees, that the other mercenary leader of Arcadia, Marcia Longshadow, is leaving. Probably she was made the same offer that the Wall Defenders. Assend Sharp, Goldtooth assistant is present by the door but seems distracted at the moment.

Ripley
    Spoiler
    Show
    You cannot really make the exact words of what they are talking about, but being this Goldtooth manor they are probably talking about the quest to the moon dragon temple. As you wait the double door opens and a big man dressed as a northen barbarian stomps through, leaving with a clear angry expression. Surprisingly the old man by the door is still sleeping.

As the barbarian leaves the room the gnome that was previously reading a book smirks and walks into the office. A few minutes later another man [Madoc] enters the room, he seems confident and calm.

Nor
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Uh... oh... thanks, I talk to much sometimes. Mother used to say that someday I would trip over my own tongue and fall. Of course my tongue is not long enough for triping, but I think that she was speaking figuratively.

She smiles and her smile is quite radiant and shiny when Nor agrees that the temple could be studied.

-Yes, yes, all those despots only think about money, but but... there might be a lot of valuable stuff there. Not just gold or jade or whatever precious stone can be found at the moon temple. Dragons are awesome and I heard that the moon dragons were masters of the mind and spirit...

She is then interrupted by the big man that went into the office before, he is leaving at the moment with an angry face. The gnome sneaked into the office and the old man by the door seems to still be sleeping. Later another man enters the room [Madoc]
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-20 at 02:10 PM.
    Currently playing:

13. - Top - End - #43

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad walks directly up to the bar without bothering with any of the drunkards that feel the place. He smirks slightly at the bartender. "Give me something to knock a dwarf on his ass, and I'll be needing some information. What can you tell me about an elf named Ellis? Wild acting. Talks in broken common."

14. - Top - End - #44

ElfRangerGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bartender slips his big hand under the table and pulls a bottle that seems made of wild reed he uncorks it with his mouth and spits the cork away. Then takes a glass which looks almost clean and pours a milky white liquid on it. It doesn't smell good, almost like sour milk. He passes the glass to the Goliath.

-Jungle piss.

Then with a hand the size of a ham scratches his chin. His eyes glitter for a second and he almost smirks, but keeps his expression under control.

-Eilis, yes, arrived here twenty four years ago, about this size.- He raises his hand to show the approximate size of Eilis- What, exactly, do you want to know about her?

ooc If you drink that, it doesn't look poisonous it's going to require a fort save.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-20 at 12:52 PM.
    Currently playing:

15. - Top - End - #45

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad sniffs the liquid and leers back a little, sneering slightly at what he's been handed. Then he takes a swallow equal to about the third of the glass. "Does she move with any groups worth mentioning and how far would you trust her word if she offered a deal?"

(1d20+8)[24]

16. - Top - End - #46

ElfRangerGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ogre looks amused by how avidly the Goliath drinks. Well it doesn't seem that its going to knock out him immediately but it burns like hell passing through the throat.

-Well she has several admirers but she doesn't have any particular affiliation, there are almost no elves in Arcadia, and the few that we have are more normal. On trusting her, you can, haven't ever heard of her breaking her word. Why? Did she accept to fight you or something?

ooc: You're fine the alcohol burns a lot though.
    Currently playing:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Madoc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Madoc smirked as the mercenary left the premises. Maron was going all out on this one. Backtracking a small bit, Madoc dropped down from the rooftops, and made his way to the meeting place on foot. "Hail, Mr. Sharp. I hear your employer is gathering members for an expedition."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

18. - Top - End - #48

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad takes another drink. "No, though I suppose I made the offer. She agreed to help me out with a private matter if I did her a favor. Speaking of, I'm going to be hunting big game in the jungle. I'd probably be better off with a group. Do you know of any major crews heading out that way in the next few days I might be able to sign on with?"

19. - Top - End - #49

ElfRangerGuy

Madoc
    Spoiler
    Show

-Madoc Pugh. Interesting, the master is certainly recruiting people. Follow me.

He leads the way into the Goldtooth Manor, there is a long corridor decorated with luxury. A soft red carpet covers the floor and the walls are full of paintings, not portraits like many nobles use to fancy but landscapes, everyone of them is signed by Maron and has a date. There are also several chandeliers that hold candles yet to be lit, even if they seem old and they certainly see use there is no stain of wax at any point. The roof is decorated with a sky scenery composed of pale blues and soft whites.

He leads the way to another door, a simple oak door with a golden handler, that opens to a big circular room. The room is decorated with the same taste that the corridor, having a thick and rich carpet over the wooden floor and some other paintings on the walls. There are several bookshelves that look cramped with books and mementos. Many are marked with letters or numbers, or a combination of both, but any organization seems to escape you at the moment. A double door awaits at the end of the room and some sound come muffled from it.

There are four people in the room, an old knight donned in full armor waiting by the double door with his eyes closed, probably sleeping. Two women whispering by the bookshelves. Both of them are fairly young and while one is extremly attractive and clad in a very comfortable light armor the other one is wearing scholar robes and her body is almost completely covered. (DC 25 to listen what they are actually saying) And a blond man who keeps a worried expression and conveniently armed.

-Wait here until you are summoned. -Says Sharp before leaving.

As Sharp leaves you realize that the blond man waves at you with interest.

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ogre smiles slightly.
    -A fight would be interesting, haven't seen no one grow the balls to ask her for a fight in months.
    The ogre takes another bottle this one looks like a green elongated pumpkin and pours two glasses of a shiny green slightly translucent liquid. A drop of liquid falls on the table and leaves a smoking dark mark. The bar keeper passes a glass to the Goliath and holds the other one between its thumb and a finger being careful not to break it.
    -You got balls boy, asking Eilis for a fight and thinking of going to the jungle. -He finishes his drink with a silent toast. - As far as I know you can count yourself lucky, Maron Goldtooth is recruiting an expedition to the Moon Temple.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-21 at 09:18 AM.
    Currently playing:

20. - Top - End - #50

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad shrugs. "It's just been too long since someone taught me my limits." Vlad drinks with the ogre, including meeting his toast, while considering his next course of action. "Maron Goldtooth... I guess that's the man to find. Any idea where to start looking?"

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGuy

Ripley will wave towards the new man who just entered the room, while remaining seated.

22. - Top - End - #52

ElfRangerGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ogre walks out of the Tavern and signals a big tower not too far.

-See the tower? That's the temple, second street on the left, Goldtooth Manor also known as Dragon's Nest, you won't miss it.

He walks inside again and looks at the Goliath with a grin.

-If you make it out of the jungle alive... I'll wait for your combat with Eilis, and then treat you to a drink.

The walk towards Goldtooth Manor is not long and once there you recognize the building with ease, it is clearly the richest one and most decorated, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be anyone at the door.

Ripley
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Once Madoc posts feel free to check it and answer
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-21 at 09:37 AM.
    Currently playing:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Reaction-Nor glances over at the man who has just entered the room for a moment before turning back to Aivlis. Nor sends a thought to the sub-mind, informing it of her intent.

"It's been a pleasure speaking with you, and I'd love to continue our conversation later, but for now I'll take my leave," Reaction-Nor says. She bends forwards and lifts up the other woman's arm, planting a kiss on the back of her hand before smiling and turning to leave with a wink.

Once she takes her leave from Aivlis, Reaction-Nor heads over to where the man who had originally caught Nor's interest sits, taking a seat next to him but not saying anything yet.

24. - Top - End - #54

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad nods back at the ogre. "I wouldn't doubt Vlad's strength if I were you. I'll be taking you up on that offer when I get back."

Vlad arches an eyebrow. He knows popular society is fairly finicky about breaking and entering. To that end he knocks loudly. If nobody comes, he then tries the doors.

25. - Top - End - #55

ElfRangerGuy

Nor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aivlis seems about to say something but then the office door opens and the gnome leaves the studio. She then sneaks into the room. You can easily take sit near the man.

Ripley
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you wait to the man who just entered the studio door opens. A gnome leaves the room while one of the women who was talking not far away enters the room. The other woman approaches you and sits by you.

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't take long till a man opens the door. He is a long nosed man, and looks at you with mistrust.
    -What do you want?
    Currently playing:

26. - Top - End - #56

BardGuy

Ripley turns to the woman who just sat next to him, and says, "Hello, my name is Ripley. Are you here about that map?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Reaction-Nor grins. "I'm Nor. My plan is to go with the expedition, the map itself is of no special interest to me," she says, waving her left hand as she mentions the map.

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

"I too plan to go on the expedition, if Maron will accept me. The applicants don't seem to be having much success."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Reaction-Nor shrugs. "They're probably just not what Maron's looking for in his party. Although..." for a moment, Nor's eyes close and her inner reality comes to the forefront, shutting out the outer world for a moment.

Reaction, I'm taking control. The thought is sent out as an order and a warning, allowing Reaction to disentangle itself from the stimulus of the outer reality before being swept back to the internal world, back to its fellow sub-minds. With a brief glance at the now-smirking Meta, Nor extends her perception once more, until she is in full control of the body again.

"...Perhaps he has simply ordered everyone he accepts to pretend to have been rejected, to keep those still waiting from knowing who is and isn't going on the expedition," Nor finishes, the pause in her sentence growing a bit long as she fully readjusts to the outer reality before speaking.

30. - Top - End - #60

NinjaGuy

Vlad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vlad glares at the man who answers the door, clearly just an aid, yet still so accusing. "Maron is planning a trip into the jungle and for that he will need protection. I am here to offer myself as a warrior for the journey."