New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Another option for filling out the Order

Namely - I don't think they will.

I know that, from a tactical gaming standpoint, they need to replace lost members or be severely weakened - but this comic isn't about tactical gaming.

I have trouble thinking that the Giant is going to add new main viewpoint characters at this late stage. Durkon and Belkar will continue to be the other members of the team, even while dead and vamped. Just like Roy was when he was dead.

I know we're not sure how the Order can function without a primary healer, but I think we all trust Rich to have an answer to that question.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Another option for filling out the Order

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I know that, from a tactical gaming standpoint, they need to replace lost members or be severely weakened - but this comic isn't about tactical gaming.
    Well if they class choices and ability scores are any hint, that's for sure!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

On one hand, I understand that suddenly adding a new member of the team would be jarring, to say the least. On the other hand, it would be an excellent opportunity to parody the awkwardness inherent to someone joining a D&D game mid-campaign. Naruto handled the idea of "unwanted new teammate" well with Sai, and I'm sure there are plenty of ways it could be done.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    On one hand, I understand that suddenly adding a new member of the team would be jarring, to say the least. On the other hand, it would be an excellent opportunity to parody the awkwardness inherent to someone joining a D&D game mid-campaign. Naruto handled the idea of "unwanted new teammate" well with Sai, and I'm sure there are plenty of ways it could be done.
    This comic is JUST BARELY a parody of D&D anymore. No friggin way Giant is bringing in a new character just to make a joke
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I agree, I don't think the Order will ever officially "add a new member." The comic is really about the 6 members, and if one or more of them die, that's part of the story.

That being said, there's a good chance they'll travel with O-Chul and Lien for a little bit, just because they're already at Kraagor's Gate.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

SSDT Spoiler

Spoiler
    Show
    I think if they found a way to rez Psteve, he could be a good replacement.

To be fair Psteve's appearance was short, but he does deserve another chance. His body wasn't entirely destroyed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    This comic is JUST BARELY a parody of D&D anymore. No friggin way Giant is bringing in a new character just to make a joke
    Well the awkwardness of bringing a new person into an established group is by no means exclusive to D&D. And actually I would much more expect him to bring a new character in as a joke (i.e. a one-strip appearance) than as a permanent addition.

That being said the Order doesn't have time to post something on MonsterManual.com (Cliffport's #1 job search site!) so I doubt we'll be going down this road.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post

I have trouble thinking that the Giant is going to add new main viewpoint characters at this late stage. Durkon and Belkar will continue to be the other members of the team, even while dead and vamped. Just like Roy was when he was dead.

I know we're not sure how the Order can function without a primary healer, but I think we all trust Rich to have an answer to that question.
    If they can't get Durkon back, I can't help but think that the only REAL candidate for his replacement is O-Chul (or possibly Lien).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I suppose Miko is out of the question... even if she weren't demised?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Starwaster View Post
    I suppose Miko is out of the question... even if she weren't demised?
    Well now that Durkon's gone, adding Miko to the group would run a serious risk of TPK (since she and Windstriker did beat the remaining 5... twice (granted once with screwy weather)).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I agree they wont need to replace anyone. But for different reasons. While it might take a few comics. Probably until after then end of this gate, the 6 protagonists will be back together.

We know Durkula will be getting his free will back and Belkar aint dead yet. (My own theory is he wont die until the end of the last comic.)

The order will be in one piece going into the last book/gate, yes D will be a vamp, but that's actually given him quite a power boost in the short term.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post
    SSDT Spoiler

Spoiler
    Show
    I think if they found a way to rez Psteve, he could be a good replacement.

To be fair Psteve's appearance was short, but he does deserve another chance. His body wasn't entirely destroyed.
    The Dragon Magazine Strips are a different continuity of the Order. So I don't think thats in the cards

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

More to the point...Psteve. Even his name is a psion joke.

The joke is made, and he's not coming back.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    If they can't get Durkon back, I can't help but think that the only REAL candidate for his replacement is O-Chul (or possibly Lien).
    It's practically a given that they'll hookup with those two at or close to Kraagor's gate. Paladins have just enough for emergency healing, so it won't seem like the Order saved the world by pure luck.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leeky Windstaff probably doesn't have much to do now.
    In which threads did people consider my responses to be readworthy? Why, a good question, here's an answer.
    How would Redcloak kill Tsukiko
    The sad fate of YukYuk

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
    Leeky Windstaff probably doesn't have much to do now.
    And his new wolf animal companion would make a great replacement for Belkar!

17. - Top - End - #17

O-Chul would be a bad choice of healer. Too few paladin levels, not enough Charisma.

Great for dealing with the MitD, though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I also think we will see a new character as a one-strip joke, and then durkon will rejoin the order as a free willed vampire.

I strongly suspect that the one-strip joke character will be the cameo for the guy who paid 5000 $ for the kickstarter. When the fundraising was launched, rich said that the came would take place within a year; we all know his schedule was pushed back by several factors, so now would probably be the right timing for it, and it would be the perfect place.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

This comic needs more druids. That is all.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark