Page 1 of 29 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (OOC)

Welcome to the out of character thread players for the Adventures in the Nentir Vale game. Before we begin, I would like to get a few things out of the way:

- The name of your group
    - How you all met
    - Final tweaks and links to your character sheets
    - Character speech color. I will be claiming Red, Black, and Royal Blue.

IC Thread: Adventures in the Nentir Vale

Google Spreadsheet: Link

Players
    {TABLE=head]Character|Player|Class|Role|Race
    Rex|Locklear|Fighter|Defender|Human|
    Eldon Kennings|dariathalon|Ardent|Leader|Human|
    Chudok Fairslof|WaffleLord |Monk|Striker|Elf|
    Rolan Berelain|Dakaran |Psion|Controller|Human|
    Samael|Irish Musician|Avenger|Striker|Half-Elf|
    [/TABLE]

Lost Players
    {TABLE=head]Character|Player|Class|Role|Race
    Arthur Grayson|Arillius |Paladin|Defender|Human|
    Matilda|Selinia |Rogue|Striker|Drow|
    Wrenndel Ringle|CalebRoberts|Bard|Leader|Gnome|
    Lo-kag|Storm Vermin|Warden (Wildblood)|Defender|Goliath|
    Kerem Gale'dron|Arranis Thelmos |Sorcerer (Chaos)|Striker|Drow|
    [/TABLE]

1. Posting Frequency

I know it's not always possible but it would be great if everyone, myself included could get a post per day during the week. Of course I'm well aware this won't always be possible, just please try to post when you are able.

2. Moving Things Along

In order to keep the game flowing smoothly when your turn comes up in combat please try to post within 24 hours. If you are unable to post or don't reply in the allotted time I will take your turn to keep things going. Most likely this will consist of using an at-will power against the target of you previous attack.

I will wait at least 48 hours before taking action for a character outside of combat.

After two or more weeks of inactivity I will send out a PM to see if you're still in the game. If a timely response is not received then most likely your character will be removed from the game and an alternate brought in.

If there is a foreseeable stretch of time where you will be unable to post please send a PM or post here in the OOC thread.

3. Initiative

I've been thinking it over and come to the realization that I would be able to set up combat encounters if I rolled for every player and monster at the same time. I understand this might be problematic for some players so I wanted to get your take on the matter.

4. Combat

When you post for combat please include your damage roll and whatever effects your power had.

5. Tracking Stuff

Other than hit points and status effects I'm leaving it up to you to keep track of everything else.

6. Communication

If you have a problem, feel free to post it here or send me a PM. Waiting on me to move things along, to many combat encounters in a row, too much roleplaying, etc. How am I going to know if there’s a problem if no one says anything.

I want everyone involved to have fun in this game and I'll do all I can to ensure that.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-07-19 at 12:07 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Threats to the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (OOC)

Say hello to ...

Wrenndel Ringle

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wrenndel Ringle is a gnome born of the natural world. His family was the only one in Fallcrest and he tended to spend most of his time with the Halfling children. It was more of a stature commonality then any sort of common outlook on life.

Merchants and traveling bards would come through Fallcrest often. Wrenndel would always go to watch them perform and sing. He would listen to the stories of warriors and wizards and dragons with glee. From the very first time he heard the stories he wanted to adventure and sing about his own tales.

He trained long by himself in his family's warehouse (they are import/export merchants). His songs made the rats dance and cats sing. By the time he was 30 he felt ready to begin his adventures. His parents did not like this. He is their only son. His Father hoped he would run the family business some day. His mother just wept for fear of him dying on the road. They forbade him to go.

He stole out in the night anyways with little more then a pack, a blade, and his flute. The road was cold and lonely, and dangerous. Several days after running away Wrenndel was accosted by brigands. They were just in the process of taking everything he had (including his clothes) when several warriors came charging in to his rescue (the rest of the party). They slew the thieves returned Wrenndel's things. In payment for their deeds Wrenndel sung their wounds closed using his Fey magic. So impressed were the warriors that they invited him to come along.

From then on, Wrenndel was an integral part of the group. His natural charm gained them much advantage in negotiations and his tactical insights garnered them many victories.

Appearence & Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wrenndel has always had a sing song, only the gods care attitude. His magical nature is inherent in his race's ties to the Feywild. A common expression among gnomes is one of music, joviality, and storytelling; Wrenndel is no exception. He loves a good tale, whether he is listening or telling.

He is of average Gnome stature, standing around three feet tall and weighing about 80 lbs. Otherwise he looks largely like the picture above.

Wrenndel talks a big game but physically he is rather impotent. He is also a bit cowardly if face to face with an enemy. He can also be a bit naive and tends to take things at face value. He is not dumb, just young (for a Gnome)

Summary
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wrenndel Ringle, level 1
    Gnome, Bard
    Bardic Virtue Option: Virtue of Cunning
    Urban Gnome (+2 to Streetwise)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 8, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 8, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 18 Fort: 11 Ref: 16 Will: 15
    HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +11, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, History +9, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +0, Athletics –1, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +1, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +5, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +7, Thievery +0

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
    Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
    Bard Feature: Majestic Word
    Bard Feature: Words of Friendship
    Bard Attack 1: Staggering Note
    Bard Attack 1: Vicious Mockery
    Bard Attack 1: Blunder
    Bard Attack 1: Stirring Shout

FEATS
    Level 1: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Battle Song Expertise

ITEMS
    Ritual Book
    Glib Limerick
    Comprehend Language
    Adventurer's Kit
    Short sword
    Light Shield
    Wand Implement
    Hide Armor
    Flute
    Dagger x3

iPlay4e Link
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-06-17 at 01:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by CalebRoberts View Post
    Say hello to ...

Wrenndel Ringle
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wrenndel Ringle is a gnome born of the natural world. His family was the only one in Fallcrest and he tended to spend most of his time with the Halfling children. It was more of a stature commonality then any sort of common outlook on life.

Merchants and traveling bards would come through Fallcrest often. Wrenndel would always go to watch them perform and sing. He would listen to the stories of warriors and wizards and dragons with glee. From the very first time he heard the stories he wanted to adventure and sing about his own tales.

He trained long by himself in his family's warehouse (they are import/export merchants). His songs made the rats dance and cats sing. By the time he was 30 he felt ready to begin his adventures. His parents did not like this. He is their only son. His Father hoped he would run the family business some day. His mother just wept for fear of him dying on the road. They forbade him to go.

He stole out in the night anyways with little more then a pack, a blade, and his flute. The road was cold and lonely, and dangerous. Several days after running away Wrenndel was accosted by brigands. They were just in the process of taking everything he had (including his clothes) when several warriors came charging in to his rescue (the rest of the party). They slew the thieves returned Wrenndel's things. In payment for their deeds Wrenndel sung their wounds closed using his Fey magic. So impressed were the warriors that they invited him to come along.

From then on, Wrenndel was an integral part of the group. His natural charm gained them much advantage in negotiations and his tactical insights garnered them many victories.

Appearence & Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wrenndel has always had a sing song, only the gods care attitude. His magical nature is inherent in his race's ties to the Feywild. A common expression among gnomes is one of music, joviality, and storytelling; Wrenndel is no exception. He loves a good tale, whether he is listening or telling.

He is of average Gnome stature, standing around three feet tall and weighing about 80 lbs. Otherwise he looks largely like the picture above.

Wrenndel talks a big game but physically he is rather impotent. He is also a bit cowardly if face to face with an enemy. He can also be a bit naive and tends to take things at face value. He is not dumb, just young (for a Gnome)

Summary
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wrenndel Ringle, level 1
    Gnome, Bard
    Bardic Virtue Option: Virtue of Cunning
    Urban Gnome (+2 to Streetwise)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 8, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 8, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 18 Fort: 11 Ref: 16 Will: 15
    HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +11, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, History +9, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +0, Athletics –1, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +1, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +5, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +7, Thievery +0

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Gnome Racial Power: Fade Away
    Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
    Bard Feature: Majestic Word
    Bard Feature: Words of Friendship
    Bard Attack 1: Staggering Note
    Bard Attack 1: Vicious Mockery
    Bard Attack 1: Blunder
    Bard Attack 1: Stirring Shout

FEATS
    Level 1: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Wand Expertise

ITEMS
    Ritual Book
    Glib Limerick
    Comprehend Language
    Adventurer's Kit
    Short sword
    Light Shield x1
    Wand Implement x1
    Hide Armor x1
    Flute

Caleb could you please convert your sheet to mythweavers or some other medium that hosts character sheets?
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    [/SPOILER]

Caleb could you please convert your sheet to mythweavers or some other medium that hosts character sheets?
    Done, iPlay4e link at the bottom of my post.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hello everyone! My guy is Arthur and I'll be claiming this color, the closest legible grey to silver that I can do. XD

For Arthur, he's pretty easy for how you guys met him. However it was, you also met his Paladin master Leonard Arlington, a Dragonborn who focused very heavily on defense and attack. Leonard was killed by the bandits that attacked the town we were just at, a stray arrow shot from a feeling bandit.

So you can form your characters opinions of the two, Arthur is reserved, quiet and insightful. He's very kind and is always quick to help with injuries. Leonard was the opposite in most ways. He was loud, his presence was commanding even if he wasn't, and he was quicker to offer a shield in defense or a sword to a good cause then a helping hand for healing.

I notice that we have two leaders in the group along with my guy. Since my guy is a heal/tank, focusing on healing himself and marking (though he can heal anyone), I think we'll never be lacking even if neither of the leaders actually focus on healing.

@The DM: I will be tweaking Arthur a little with his feats. The feat, Initiate of Faith, is going to be replaced with the paladin feat, Virtuous Recovery. We got a lot of healing going, even if no one actually focuses on it, so I'll wait until second level to see if taking the feat would even be worth it.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-06-17 at 03:23 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

First, thanks for selecting Eldon. I'm looking forward to this game.

Now to handle the things that you requested.

- The name of your group
    I'm not normally big on naming adventuring groups, so I'll mostly leave that up to someone else. To be a team player, though here's something that I noticed that might get the ball rolling. We've all got fairly high cha scores, maybe something that references that (though of course not in a meta-gamey sort of way). Maybe a reference to something people like, a precious metal or something? I don't know, I'm just trying to brainstorm, but only getting a brain-sprinkle.

- How you all met
    Okay, now I'm on a brain-drought. Perhaps we were all hired by someone to take on some sort of mission, then when that was done we realized that we worked well together.

Or we can work out ways to meet in small groups of two or threes and then have the entire group meet. Whatever works for me.

Glancing over the sheets, I'm seeing quite a bit of overlap in skills. Of course that's not always a bad thing, but I think we've got a lot of gaps because of it. I also notice that both of the leaders have MBA granting abilities (Wrenndel as an at will, Eldon as a daily), but nobody really has a very good MBA. Somehow we might want to address that.

- Character speech color. I will be claiming Red, Black, and Royal Blue
    I guess Eldon will be using olive.

7. - Top - End - #7

Name: Whatever is cool with you guys. Considering Arthur is a Paladin, things about profit and slaying might not go over well with him though. XD

How we met: Arthur and Leonard definitely do jobs for free, so if you guys were hired for something they were volunteers.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

8. - Top - End - #8

Just an update to tell you all that I'm still working on the intro post. I had planned to have it finished by now but we had to do some electrical work around the house which will set me back a little. I'm also going to have to help with bathroom repairs.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-06-17 at 04:14 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

9. - Top - End - #9

No worries. RL before games man.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

10. - Top - End - #10

No worries. What Arillius said. Real life priorities come first.

- The name of your group
    Don't know off-hand. Maybe locking down a group background will help with the brainstorming.

- How you all met
    I looked over the backgrounds again and I have a possible chain of events that lead to our group's full formation and exploits as listed in Hircine's Big 16. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Arthur and Leonard begin their work to train Arthur as a Paladin.
    2. Being trained as warrior of light to fight against evil, Arthur's training leads him and Leonard to a place to combat evil in the north. There the lands are often plagued by necromancers and their terrible creations. It is there that they stumble upon a recent escapee of the nearby Fort Terror, a young drow girl named Matilda. Leonard and Arthur helped her complete her flight from Fort Terror and learning of her personal vendetta with the necromancers they decided to continue travelling together.
    3. In their travels Arthur, Leonard, and Matilda cross paths with a band of brigands accosting a gnome, Wrenndel, and robing him. Rushing to his aid they turn the tide on the thieves and defeating them. The grateful gnome, showing great bravery and appreciation decides to join the others in their travelling and training.
    4. Rolan, after being betrayed by one of his commanders in the Royal Inquisitors fled to a nearby town to seek aid in bringing down a secret cult of Vecna that was bent on controlling the Royal Inquisitors. Rolan's psychic powers drew him first to a young soul named Eldon, who also seemed to have a strong psionic power surging within. Rolan convinces Eldon to join him as he believed that having another with psychic powers would help to root out Vecna's acolytes. Rolan knew that they would yet need even more help if they were to succeed. Rolan and Eldon used the power of their minds to find others that were strong of spirit, strong of power, and strong of character that could help. Their searching led them to find Arthur, Leonard, Matilda, and Wrenndel and convinced them to help them with their quest.
    5. From there the rest is history as you say with the group defeating the cult of Vecna and going on to expose a corrupt trader in Fallcrest, liberating a family of halflings from slavers, and saving the hamlet of Ashen Oaks.

I've got a PDF from the Wizards character builder shared on Google Docs. I made a tiny.cc link for it (http://tiny.cc/r8zufw) so that I can just adjust the tiny.cc link to point to updated PDFs as needed. If you'd prefer another form of my sheet on something like myth-weaver just let me know and I'll throw it on there.

- Character speech color. I will be claiming Red, Black, and Royal Blue.
    I think I'll claim Navy Blue, unless Hircine you feel it's too close to Royal Blue.

Community Powered Tokens & Art | OotS-Style Monster Manual Art Project
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature
    Adventures in the Nentir Vale | Rolan | IC | OOC | Map | Summary

11. - Top - End - #11

That sounds pretty fricking cool to be honest.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

12. - Top - End - #12

Matilda will be speaking in this lovely shade of pixie-intestine green, because I pretty much always match my font color to my characters' eye colors. Though... with this particular hue, I think I'm going to have to keep it bolded to stay readable.

With mechanics, I'm going to echo the concern about basic-attack granting in a group with no good melee basic attacks (though Matti has a pretty good ranged basic attack, not many things grant those), but it isn't a huge deal. In any case, Matilda is going to be taking all the healing you guys have to give her, as she is very much a glass cannon. Lowest AC in the party, lousy HP and crummy surges - her only solid defense is Reflex, to be honest.

She does do the damage though, particularly since we seem to have a good melee presence in this party. Matilda is likely to be able to get CA pretty much whenever she wants, and she has Darkfire for when she can't get that. She can't really do anything multi-target, but she's perfectly capable of dropping priority targets and her attacks are very reliable. If she has CA, she'll be clocking in at +11 to-hit with her bread-and-butter At-Will, and targeting reflex to boot. Later on she'll pick up more debuffs and nova-enablers, but right now she's just a pretty steady outpouring of stabs. I'm still tempted to tweak up her durability, but with three healers I think she'll manage - and it's hard to deny offensive stats on that level.

As for how we all met, Dakaran gives a pretty good explanation.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #13

Being a glass cannon shouldn't be too much of a problem with all the healing. That, and Arthur is going to be a marking machine. Next level he'll be able to mark everything within 3 squares twice an encounter, and continually mark 1-2 enemies every turn otherwise.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateCaptain

With 2 leaders Arthur could actually dump Lay on Hands entirely.

He could take Virtues Touch. It is still a leader style power, just not healing. Truthfully we are vastly overkill on healing. We need to diversify.

Virtue's Touch
    Daily * Divine
    Minor Action * Melee touch
    Target: One creature
    Effect: You remove one condition from the target: blinded, dazed, deafened, slowed, stunned, or weakened.
    Special: You can use this power a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), but only once per round.

I highly recommend Arthur takes the above power. It replaces Lay on Hands and has the exact same usage requierments. This way Arthur can grant saves and takes that issue away from the leaders.

With two leaders we can have one focus on Attack and one on Defense.

Is Eldon should be able to handle the defense buff side b/c he is a Wis Ardent. Wrenndle can handle the attack side of things.

Can Matilda take the Durable feat? If she is the only stiker and is in melee a lot we will burn through her surges quickly. If she had 2 more it woud be really handy

Wrenndel can take a different at-will then Staggering note but I would rather not. Maybe over the next 3 levels the melee characters can take the Melee Training feat. This will give them effective melee attacks. Virtuous Strike is also a good option for Arthur. It is an at-will that is also a CHA based basic attack. It is from Divine Power.

Everyone: With our damage output looking rather low, everyone needs to be able to contribute. Granting MBAs is a really good way to make up this difference. Please consider this when making any final character adjustments.

Side Note: Wrenndel will speak in Orange
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-06-18 at 12:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Your suggestion sounds good to me, Dakaran. The only footnote I would add is that Eldon really doesn't fully understand his powers. His psionics is very much a natural talent for him. He doesn't really choose to use them (at least not yet), they just come out, usually as flashes of emotion as he swings his halberd. Rolan may very well be the first person who was able to put a name to the power Eldon wields. Eldon would then probably look up to him a little bit as someone who can control his psionic abilities and he might be able to learn from, even though he is still uncertain if Rolan is righat about the source of his power.

I'm glad to hear you're planning to do a lot of marking, Arillius. I devoted both of Eldon's feats to his defenses and still I feel that they're a bit low for a front-line character.

I did a little more looking into the party's skills. Nobody is trained in Nature or Dungeoneering, and only one person is trained in Perception (generally considered a very important skill). I thought about changing Eldon's Diplomacy to one of those (since 4/5 of us are trained in Diplomacy), but none of the missing skills are class skills for him. From a character standpoint, the only one of those that really makes as much sense as Diplomacy for him would have been Nature anyway. If anybody sees a way to help cover those gaps it would probably be good.

I think I'll be swapping out Implanted Suggestion for Battleborn Acuity because of the party's current MBA situation. I've put them both in the spoiler below in case anybody has feedback for me on that decision.

Spoiler
    Show

Getting rid of
    Implanted Suggestion
    Daily * Standard Action
    Melee Weapon * Target: One creature
    Keywords: Charm, Psionic, Weapon
    Attack: Cha vs Will
    Hit: 2[W]+Cha mod damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
    Miss: Half damage.
    Effect: The target is affected by your suggestion (save ends). Until the suggestion ends, whenever the target makes an attack, one ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action after the target's attack is resolved.

Considering replacing it with
    Battleborn Acuity
    Daily * Standard Action
    Melee Weapon * Target: One creature
    Keywords: Psionic, Weapon
    Attack: Cha vs AC
    Hit: 2[W]+Cha mod damage.
    Miss: Half damage.
    Effect: Until the end of your next turn, your allies gain both a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a power bonus to damage rolls equal to your Con mod while they are adjacent to you.
    Sustain Minor: The effect persists.

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel's next feat will be Bard of all trades. He will then be at +4 to untrained skills and +5 to trained skills. Bards are skill monkeys even more then Rogues.
    Wrenndel should be able to excel at all CHA based skills.

Battleborn acuity is a really good power. Especially if you team up with the defender and striker a lot.
    I have alot of experience with Ardents. They are a very fun and very effective class.
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-06-18 at 01:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

With two leaders we can have one focus on Attack and one on Defense.

Is Eldon should be able to handle the defense buff side b/c he is a Wis Ardent. Wrenndle can handle the attack side of things.
    Actually Eldon is a Euphoric (Con) Ardent. They primarily focus on attack boosting. Eldon's three at-wills are Energizing Strike (grants temp hp and actual healing through augments), Demoralizing Strike (gives target defense penalties), and Focusing Strike (grants a save, human bonus so no augments).

It doesn't look like we'll be able to cut things down the offensive/defensive line without a pretty big rebuild on either of our parts (which I don't think either of us really wants to do). We'll just have to make sure that we aren't stepping on each other's toes too much.

Wrenndel can take a different at-will then Staggering note but I would rather not. Maybe over the next 3 levels the melee characters can take the Melee Training feat. This will give them effective melee attacks. Virtuous Strike is also a good option for Arthur. It is an at-will that is also a CHA based basic attack. It is from Divine Power.
    Yeah, I think melee training would be a good plan for many of us. Virtuous Strike is also a good option for Arthur. Unless anyone decides to do that now though, you might consider swapping out Staggering Note for at least a little while until someone takes something to boost their MBAs. Then you can retrain into it at the same time somebody picks something up to make it worthwhile. I'll probably be picking up Implanted Suggestion again sometime for the same reason.

Everyone: With our damage output looking rather low, everyone needs to be able to contribute. Granting MBAs is a really good way to make up this difference. Please consider this when making any final character adjustments.
    Very good point, I agree.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-06-18 at 01:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Wrenndel's next feat will be Bard of all trades. He will then be at +4 to untrained skills and +5 to trained skills. Bards are skill monkeys even more then Rogues.
    Wrenndel should be able to excel at all CHA based skills.
    Actually CHA based skills are about the least of our concerns. Everyone in the party has CHA as either primary or secondary attribute. Most of us have trained in at least one or two of them already. Eldon grants bonuses to Diplomacy and Intimidate to allies too. Not saying you shouldn't take it, ultimately your call, but I thought I'd point out what I'd noticed in looking over our skills.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel is going to take the feat. It is not for his CHA based skills but for all of them in general.

Wrenndle can go the control route for Bards. This is mainly an enemy debuff strategy which is a roundabout way to give greater defenses. He is going to remain primarily ranged anyways. I might stick with staggering note anyways. It is goo forced movement, even if the MBA is likely to miss.

Con Ardents are the Sh*t by the way. Nice choice.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    Your suggestion sounds good to me, Dakaran. The only footnote I would add is that Eldon really doesn't fully understand his powers. His psionics is very much a natural talent for him. He doesn't really choose to use them (at least not yet), they just come out, usually as flashes of emotion as he swings his halberd. Rolan may very well be the first person who was able to put a name to the power Eldon wields. Eldon would then probably look up to him a little bit as someone who can control his psionic abilities and he might be able to learn from, even though he is still uncertain if Rolan is righat about the source of his power.
    That's a good thought. I had almost put something like that in there, but didn't know if your character was looking for a mentor or not. Rolan has definitely been trained from a young age over the past decade or so to use his psionic abilities so he could fill that roll for Eldon as someone who can help him understand and focus his power.

I know several of you are doing a little tweaking with your sheets. Unless there's something that one of sees that I've overlooked I'll probably be leaving mine as is. I'll be trying to keep Rolan out of combat since he is terrible at melee, which hopefully will mean that Rolan won't need too much healing. That's why I went with the unarmored agility feat instead of toughness or durability.

Community Powered Tokens & Art | OotS-Style Monster Manual Art Project
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature
    Adventures in the Nentir Vale | Rolan | IC | OOC | Map | Summary

21. - Top - End - #21

I'll actually be keeping lay on hands. The new feat I picked up, Virtuous Recovery, gives Arthur Damage Resistance All equal to his Cha modifier whenever he spends a healing surge. Besides which, my channel divinity is an encounter power that covers saves.

As for the low damage group thing, we are but having more MBA's for a group that can't hit with them is only going to annoy anyone who took those powers for that reason.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

22. - Top - End - #22

Can Matilda take the Durable feat? If she is the only stiker and is in melee a lot we will burn through her surges quickly. If she had 2 more it woud be really handy
    I'm not entirely sure about Durable. Given the generally low DPR of the team, I can't help but feel that Matilda ought to be piling on every damage booster she can get her hands on. Still, by the time we reach level 2 we'll have a much better idea of how the group works in practice - and whether our hyper-defensive setup is enough to keep her on her feet by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    Yeah, I think melee training would be a good plan for many of us. Virtuous Strike is also a good option for Arthur. Unless anyone decides to do that now though, you might consider swapping out Staggering Note for at least a little while until someone takes something to boost their MBAs. Then you can retrain into it at the same time somebody picks something up to make it worthwhile. I'll probably be picking up Implanted Suggestion again sometime for the same reason.
    On the subject of MBAs, my biggest source of hesitation is that we seem to be half in the water here. Making MBA-granting powers useful is going to take some serious investment, likely by multiple members of the team. Now if we had a Warlord, or someone else who could let us spam them left and right, I'd say go for it... but I'm not sure that the party is served well to spend multiple feats on a couple encounter or daily powers. There are a lot of good powers out there, and there have to be some that a less costly to get rolling.

By the way, for the DM: Would you by any chance allow Light Blade Expertise, from Heroes of the Fallen Lands? It's one of the best melee rogue feats in print, period. You've said that Essentials stuff is on a case-by-case basis, and I don't intend to dither about asking for this and that, but this particular feat is just perfect.

Feat text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with a light blade. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a light blade against a creature granting combat advantage to you. Both of these bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

If you approve it, that will probably be my level 2 feat. Otherwise I'm torn between Nimble Blade, Weapon Focus (Light Blade), and the aforementioned Durable. There are a lot of good feats for rogues though, so at least I'll never want for options.

Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #23

I agree with Selinia. Think it's a bit of an overhaul to rework it for leaders that don't really focus on MBA's.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

24. - Top - End - #24

Sorry for the delay I fell asleep right before I finished the intro post. Anyway here is the link to the IC thread.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about Durable. Given the generally low DPR of the team, I can't help but feel that Matilda ought to be piling on every damage booster she can get her hands on. Still, by the time we reach level 2 we'll have a much better idea of how the group works in practice - and whether our hyper-defensive setup is enough to keep her on her feet by itself.

On the subject of MBAs, my biggest source of hesitation is that we seem to be half in the water here. Making MBA-granting powers useful is going to take some serious investment, likely by multiple members of the team. Now if we had a Warlord, or someone else who could let us spam them left and right, I'd say go for it... but I'm not sure that the party is served well to spend multiple feats on a couple encounter or daily powers. There are a lot of good powers out there, and there have to be some that a less costly to get rolling.

By the way, for the DM: Would you by any chance allow Light Blade Expertise, from Heroes of the Fallen Lands? It's one of the best melee rogue feats in print, period. You've said that Essentials stuff is on a case-by-case basis, and I don't intend to dither about asking for this and that, but this particular feat is just perfect.

Feat text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with a light blade. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a light blade against a creature granting combat advantage to you. Both of these bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

If you approve it, that will probably be my level 2 feat. Otherwise I'm torn between Nimble Blade, Weapon Focus (Light Blade), and the aforementioned Durable. There are a lot of good feats for rogues though, so at least I'll never want for options.
    I will allow Expertise feats from HotFL and HotFK.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    On the subject of MBAs, my biggest source of hesitation is that we seem to be half in the water here. Making MBA-granting powers useful is going to take some serious investment, likely by multiple members of the team.
    Wrenndel's power is At-Will but he is not built around it by any means. All I was saying was to take a feat EVENTUALY (by level 6) that gives you decent shot at hitting with an MBA. The point is to hit and do some damage often. It doesn't have to be a ton to add up.

Please do not re-work anything to get an MBA now.
    -----
    This party is just so odd. 2 leaders for 5 players is really weird.

27. - Top - End - #27

Wrenndel's power is At-Will but he is not built around it by any means. All I was saying was to take a feat EVENTUALY (by level 6) that gives you decent shot at hitting with an MBA. The point is to hit and do some damage often. It doesn't have to be a ton to add up.

Please do not re-work anything to get an MBA now.
    -----
    This party is just so odd. 2 leaders for 5 players is really weird.
    It's not that odd I was in a 5 person party that had two leaders before, though it also had two strikers.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateCaptain

No complaints here, just an observation. I am sure we will figure the whole thing out after a little while.

29. - Top - End - #29

You can build a group out of pretty much anything in 4E. One of my favorites, mechanically, was when my group decided to do a gimmick run of five Taclords - The Atomic Daisychain.

Solid durability, but more importantly everyone was acting through everyone else like some sort of freak gestalt hive-mind. And that was before we got one of our Enabler Wheels going, with everyone dogpiling an enemy with target-designator abilities for everyone else. Was it optimized? No. But it was hilarious. A bunch of prancy fairy elves all shouting at each other to attack.

Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateCaptain

That sounds like a meatgrinder based on paper cuts. Everything dies when it loses enough blood.