New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] OOC 3: Eccentric Cheerilee

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I do agree on the OotS references, those are a mite odd. We may as well have something regarding Celestia's official release at some point, there were supposed to be a few plotlines about that but they never really got off the ground. There may also be a few other points that have popped up (the origin of the vampony curse, perhaps Orzel would like to add some fey events in as well) that was can add to the timeline.

Other than that, I'd have to see proposed changes to the history before I said yay or nay. I'm absolutely open to talk about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Personally, I rather not have the OotS references, its always had this irksome feeling that it didn't quite fit with this world and felt more forced.
    -------------

But yargh, I myself see the Bridle Shores Town Guard as an extension of the main Equestrian Army, likely a sort of small "military" base which also serves as a training facility for becoming a guard but also preps them for having the option of joining the military. Though being a small town, perhaps the numbers between the town guard and police department range from around 60-70 members combined? A good number of the town guard did die during the two last invasions.

But yes, I think you got down pretty much what I was thinking in regards to the two and how they worked together, mostly on the policeponies side. Well, also stableball games they play against each other. xD
    -----

And yes, I do think the setting is due for a revision of its history and plot, so much, considering yes, the majority of the events in the time line are rarely referenced, and with crisis21 gone, likely to be never.
    I'd say at least 100 altogether would be a more likely number, though this is pre-invasion numbers.

In any case, my proposed revisions would be firstly to remove most of the extraneous details like OotS and Xykon off the history. I'm on the fence about the Argonian thing; they seemed like a Superman reference. I'm not sure what to do with them.

On the extra races, I have no comment. I suppose we could leave them there as extra flavour or choices for new players to choose from. However, to be honest, I see no role for them for most part, as they do not fit into my chosen headcanon and I believe we should be using other creatures like bears, zebras or even griffons if we wanted something different anyway.

Conversely, I think we should expand further on some of the villains/locales that our newer players have introduced. Manehattan was mentioned quite often in the past, as with Fetlock and possibly Agrebah at one point. It would be most handy if those related would contribute to their descriptions.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure either about the lizard folk from the black marsh/swamp....I mean....alien space krypton ponies, I don't dig it too much, or rather, I don't have a real opinion on them, it hasn't really been plot relevant, even then.

As for races, I am alright outside the main three pony races, along with zebras, griffons, donkeys, mules, as main playable races where you don't have to ask the thread if its alright to play them.

Other races as playable PCs, probably should go by the thread first, like let's say someone wanted to play a buffalo or a moose, etc, to try to find a place for them. A lot of the sub-races of ponies, I have no real opinion on.

I don't really consider vamponies a playable race and more of a plot-based race. Kinda like Iron Will was a special race never brought up again in MLP. Also, as a regular PC it would make it a little difficult for them to interact with most PCs as most of the role play takes place during the day. But who knows what will happen. *shrug*
    --------

I will contribute my Bits on Manehatten in a future post. I've expanded mucho on Balboa Shag, but I will try to compose a compilation of what I have on him and his connection with the Cult of the Eclipse in a future post.

I will also contribute my pieces of the timeline in regards to the vampony origin. Regurgitate my piece in regards to the Iron Hoof shenanigans and the treaty with the zebras and griffons in relations to Equestria, in a future post.
    Last edited by Benson; 2012-09-13 at 09:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find it kind of funny that a military base didn't have a proper blacksmith until recently.

And I won't argue with streamlining the setting. It's not really going to have much of an impact that my characters will notice.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

But what about the hippogriffs?

But no, seriously, I'm not aware of there being much lore for them aside from the racial duality. My main questions are:

*Does it have to be a pegasus/griffon crossbreed, or can they have a unicorn, earth pony, or even zebra parent?

*How are they regarded in either culture? Are they accepted normally, embraced with respect due to rarity, or more outcast like yon half-orcs?

Personally, most of my characters (with the exception of Arvadraa, Thunderbolt, Flippy and those three off-site sidequest people) are of the base three anyways, so streamlining has my indifference, but not any complaints.

Though because of the above three, we may need some clarifications, like my questions. I'm fine with the Flutters staying as they are - sort of a mysterious fey race where most individuals are truly individual. Or at least, that's how I envision it.

As for the Hippocampi, I'm just wondering if they have a sort of natural underwater animal affinity and if they're multi-suited to freshwater and seawater living.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    I find it kind of funny that a military base didn't have a proper blacksmith until recently.

And I won't argue with streamlining the setting. It's not really going to have much of an impact that my characters will notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    But what about the hippogriffs?

But no, seriously, I'm not aware of there being much lore for them aside from the racial duality. My main questions are:

*Does it have to be a pegasus/griffon crossbreed, or can they have a unicorn, earth pony, or even zebra parent?

*How are they regarded in either culture? Are they accepted normally, embraced with respect due to rarity, or more outcast like yon half-orcs?

Personally, most of my characters (with the exception of Arvadraa, Thunderbolt, Flippy and those three off-site sidequest people) are of the base three anyways, so streamlining has my indifference, but not any complaints.

Though because of the above three, we may need some clarifications, like my questions. I'm fine with the Flutters staying as they are - sort of a mysterious fey race where most individuals are truly individual. Or at least, that's how I envision it.

As for the Hippocampi, I'm just wondering if they have a sort of natural underwater animal affinity and if they're multi-suited to freshwater and seawater living.
    Streamlining the settings to me has only one goal: to remove the unnecessary clutter in the history which we might never even use for the duration of this RP.

However, as I said, you guys are free to envision certain parts of the setting to your liking, as this is supposed to be a collaborative effort. This includes any history that might be pertinent to your characters, like Obsidian Flare (which we have forgotten yet again) and places like Agrebah, which does not even have a mention in the setting thread.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As for lore, is it okay with everyone if I make Windigos and Changelings into fey?
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    As for lore, is it okay with everyone if I make Windigos and Changelings into fey?
    I presume fey here as spirits? Wendigoes I can see. Changelings, not so much.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I presume fey here as spirits? Wendigoes I can see. Changelings, not so much.
    I'd see it more as Faerie than spirits, though the two have a lot of overlap. On that note, it might be a good idea to come up with a general description of what Fey are in this universe. I do realize that giving them a formal description is kinda against their whole concept of otherworldly beings, but you know what I mean.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well I envision fae as otherworthy beings. They come from places unknown to most ponies. Only the rulers and the most experienced explorers know about their homeland. They appear and disappear without notice

Fae are not immortal but they have very long lives and are very resilient compared to ponies. They do have weaknesses such as the touch of iron, elements opposite to their composition, and unoffered invitations.

There are two major aspects of fae that make them different from ponies. First, fae can die but they can be reincarnated. A fey who does something notable enough for songs or stories, the fey will be reborn to repeat their lives each time they die. Reincarnation is not guaranteed to every fae and most intelligent fae eventually reach a time in their lives where they fret endlessly about it.

Two, fae are predators. Every single one. Fae hunt and feed but not always physically. Some fae feed on concepts and normally inedible items like moonlight and rocks. Others are psychic carnivores, eating things from dreams to strong emotions. And others just eat meat as well as plants.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Well I envision fae as otherworthy beings. They come from places unknown to most ponies. Only the rulers and the most experienced explorers know about their homeland. They appear and disappear without notice

Fae are not immortal but they have very long lives and are very resilient compared to ponies. They do have weaknesses such as the touch of iron, elements opposite to their composition, and unoffered invitations.

There are two major aspects of fae that make them different from ponies. First, fae can die but they can be reincarnated. A fey who does something notable enough for songs or stories, the fey will be reborn to repeat their lives each time they die. Reincarnation is not guaranteed to every fae and most intelligent fae eventually reach a time in their lives where they fret endlessly about it.

Two, fae are predators. Every single one. Fae hunt and feed but not always physically. Some fae feed on concepts and normally inedible items like moonlight and rocks. Others are psychic carnivores, eating things from dreams to strong emotions. And others just eat meat as well as plants.
    Yeah, I cannot agree to changelings being feys in this case. I kind of think of them as more of physical creatures who have mastered the art of bending outside appearances to their will. With a hive mentality of course.

I'll try to post up a long overdue history of the northern regions of Equestria, which I have alluded to repeatedly over the course of this RP, but never fully fleshed out.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

First draft:

Spoiler
    Show
    A Brief History of Northern Equestria, Pt 1 by Ink Pot
    The northern regions of Equestria has always been unpleasant one for ponykind. Far too chilly for the warm-blooded and sun-loving ponies. Yet, as time passed, the more adventurous ponies begun making their way here. From the vast Icy Wastes that straddles the Frostback Mountains, to the craggy hills of Rockbottom Hollow, ponies dug in and made their homes.

It was from these ponies that the proud and fiercely independent city states of the North emerged. Chief among them were Valhalla, Freezecrag and Stalliongrad. Through the Age of Discord and Age of Strife, they have endured both chaos and relentless war. Only with the emergence of Celestia and Luna, who brought peace to the land, did they relent to bow before a superior power.

The Age of Peace was a fruitful one for the northern cities, as it was for all ponies of Equestria. Foremost among them, Valhalla emerged as one of the jewels of the north, its icy spires and graceful towers well-known throughout Equestria. The city became the de facto regional capital of the northern region; the nobles of the city, the most powerful and influential. Alas, this state of affair was not to last.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

*noms on popcorn and awaits for part two*

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait...I thought Grubbs was just sand-chained to the floor in the middle of the briefing room?

Dear sweet Celestia, I miss a lot of things.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Wait...I thought Grubbs was just sand-chained to the floor in the middle of the briefing room?

Dear sweet Celestia, I miss a lot of things.
    Well...maybe he is, and I just forgot. The other two are just in different rooms is all. Don't want them communicating and all that.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

I thought it was the briefing room too this whole time xD

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

I thought it was the briefing room too this whole time xD
    Okay, so, in that case they're just being put in the briefing room, and they're also getting muzzled so they can't talk.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, just for clarification, since I might be using these terms in my short history snippets. These are based somewhat on Dwarf Fortress scheme of naming their epochs.

Dark Ages refers to the tribal ponies.

Age of Discord here means Discord's rule obviously.

Age of Strife refers to the upheaval after his defeat. (Assuming Celestia and Luna did not establish immediate control or took time to do so.)

Age of Peace refers to show-canon Equestria, before Iron Hoof. (Or Evil!Celestia if you prefer to remember her that way.)

The Endless Summer refers to Iron Hoof's rule.

The Restoration refers to Celestia's banishment to the sun and Luna's rule thereafter. We shall refer to this as the present.

Here's part 2. A little cluttered, but nothing some editing cannot fix.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Brief History of Northern Equestria, Pt 2 by Ink Pot
    The increasing restlessness and mercurial temper of Celestia did not go unnoticed by the High Mages of Valhalla. Some of their numbers had speculated (correctly as it turned out) that her behaviour was being influenced by some outside forces, despite her strong will and immortal lifespan.

Regardless, the rise of Iron Hoof was a rude shock to most. Steadfast in their belief that Luna would be able to contain or control Celestia's power, Valhalla declared for Luna and clashed with the Royal Equestrian Army commanded by the Iron Hoof. They were soon joined by almost half of the northern city states. Combined, they managed to stalemate the finest that Celestia had to offer and for a time, stemmed the tyrannical rule of Celestia.

The banishment of Luna to the moon stunned the High Mages. Too stubborn and too proud to surrender, they fought on in a losing war. One by one, the rebel cities were sacked and reduced to rubble, their land left scarred as a reminder of what happened to those who defied Celestia. Soon, only Valhalla was left, besieged on all sides. For one year it stood defiant against the armies of Celestia, resisting all conventional attempts to subdue it.

Then, the sun goddess herself decided enough was enough. Celestia, in all her immortal glory, walked up the mighty gates of Valhalla. She delievered an ultimatum for the city to surrender. The High Mages refused. With a mighty display of her power, Celestia turned nearly half of the city into ashes in one massive explosion, its proud ice spires reduced to smoking slags. Her armies flooded in and sacked the remains, casting down all remnants of the city's former inhabitants. It was believed that all the city's inhabitants perished in that siege.

Today, all that remained of proud Valhalla are haunted ruins, half-buried in snow and ice. The remaining cities were cowered into submission. Of the major city states of yore, only Stalliongrad survived, and was chosen as the new regional capital.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

Mmm, I think I will call for the Age of Strife being around when the vamponies came into being. Hmmm, I do have an origin story, though I am now considering the the vamponies were a creation of Nightmare Moon, which could be why their aversion to sunlight.

But with Nightmare Moon defeated, this newly created race was left lost without their goddess with only hatred and evil in their bones and no guidance. Over time they went and just developed a culture of their own, etc blah.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

((I'm wondering; should we move this to the misc. adventures thread on a different timescale than the main, so those who've already ended the day'll have something to do until this wraps up?))

Frankly, they could just move to their next day anyway, mark their posts with a bolded "The next Day' if they want. Since the misc. forbidding adventures thread is for stuff out of the limits of the town and not really a "Time Bubble' thread like other pony rp has.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Mmm, I think I will call for the Age of Strife being around when the vamponies came into being. Hmmm, I do have an origin story, though I am now considering the the vamponies were a creation of Nightmare Moon, which could be why their aversion to sunlight.

But with Nightmare Moon defeated, this newly created race was left lost without their goddess with only hatred and evil in their bones and no guidance. Over time they went and just developed a culture of their own, etc blah.
    You're thinking of show-canon.

I don't think we have had Nightmare Moon in this setting. (Celestia and Luna ruled together for the thousand years.) Huh, actually this might be a plothole we need to fix. How much of the show-canon do you guys wish to incorporate into this?
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-09-16 at 01:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the last few time periods, it looks like Celestia imprisoning Luna is virtually the only similarity. After all, Canon has Celestia NOT being crazy, and Twilight on her side, not Luna's. It's safe to say that since she had TS' help, Nightmare Moon was for all intents and purposes replaced by the Iron Hoof for this continuity.

Actually, this is a clever twist that allows us to go in a completely different direction if we want to. The Princesses roles are pretty much entirely reversed here, and more details can be added for widespread effects of other races etc. as we like.

So, personally, I say we keep the 'they knocked Discord off his throne, ruled together, then Celestia went crazy and put Luna in the moon, Twilight helped Luna get out and put Celestia in the sun and went around trying to correct the damage the IH did, and due to recent events they're both together in this again' line. Assuming I recall all of that correctly.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, I don't really see the point in switching the princesses' roles, if that's the case. How much plot difference does it make?
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-09-16 at 01:37 AM.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

The difference between the normal future and Bizarro World's present. Personally, I prefer Bizarro World. The change helps give this particular alternate continuity that unique feeling. Otherwise I have a feeling this'd just be called 'Friendship Is Magic: Elsewhere'.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

Regarding the last few time periods, it looks like Celestia imprisoning Luna is virtually the only similarity. After all, Canon has Celestia NOT being crazy, and Twilight on her side, not Luna's. It's safe to say that since she had TS' help, Nightmare Moon was for all intents and purposes replaced by the Iron Hoof for this continuity.

Actually, this is a clever twist that allows us to go in a completely different direction if we want to. The Princesses roles are pretty much entirely reversed here, and more details can be added for widespread effects of other races etc. as we like.

So, personally, I say we keep the 'they knocked Discord off his throne, ruled together, then Celestia went crazy and put Luna in the moon, Twilight helped Luna get out and put Celestia in the sun and went around trying to correct the damage the IH did, and due to recent events they're both together in this again' line. Assuming I recall all of that correctly.
    That is true. With the roles reversed, there's a lot of potential for differences.

For one, I can see Luna being an enthusiast for technology, which would explain the widespread use of tech here compared to show-canon Equestria.

The one thing we have left unanswered is the fate of Ponyville. In my personal headcanon, I thought about having it being destroyed in the civil war, and only since been slowly rebuilt.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

That works, but perhaps more importantly, two things:

* Did Celestia use the Elements of Harmony to imprison Luna this time too, and vice versa?

* Where are said elements now, if they exist at all, and do they have bearers?

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    You're thinking of show-canon.

I don't think we have had Nightmare Moon in this setting. (Celestia and Luna ruled together for the thousand years.) Huh, actually this might be a plothole we need to fix. How much of the show-canon do you guys wish to incorporate into this?
    I wasn't thinking show canon, I was thinking rp-canon, I could have sworn there was a thing about/w Nightmoon. That she too 1k something years ago fell to...whatever caused/encouraged her corruption, this evil coughtotallytheDarkOnes. It would have the current Luna really sympathize with her Iron Hoof sister and understand what that corruption was like, which would have on the emotional side, really pushed for locking Celestia on the sun, for her own good.

But eh, ah well.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

I wasn't thinking show canon, I was thinking rp-canon, I could have sworn there was a thing about/w Nightmoon. That she too 1k something years ago fell to...whatever caused/encouraged her corruption, this evil coughtotallytheDarkOnes. It would have the current Luna really sympathize with her Iron Hoof sister and understand what that corruption was like, which would have on the emotional side, really pushed for locking Celestia on the sun, for her own good.

But eh, ah well.
    There is no reason we couldn't include that in the timeline if you wanted to, since it is still highly tentative anyway.

@Kelvin
    In this, we can probably follow show-canon and have the Elements of Harmony be about somewhere, and were used only to banish the other Royal Sister, since they could not do it on their own power.

The bearers are still the mane six, but usually off somewhere putting out (metaphorical) fires on behalf of Luna.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-09-16 at 06:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, I thought both sisters were corrupted and banish. First Luna then Celestia. The only difference was that Nightmare Moon was banished by Celestia before she got to rule.

Celestia is corrupted. Luna holds back corruption.
    Luna is corrupted as well. Slightly corrupted Celestia cannot hold back corruption on Luna.
    Luna becomes Nightmare Moon and is nearly immediately banished to the moon by Slightly corrupted Celestia.
    With no Luna around, Celestia's corruption grows and slowly becomes Iron Hoof.
    WAR WAR WAR!
    Twilight and Mane Six learn about NM, let her escape Moon, and defeat her with the Elements to turn her back into Luna.
    Iron Hoof and the Dark Ones are still too strong for Luna and the Mane Six.
    They banish Iron Hoof to the Sun instead, hoping the Sun burns away some of the corruption.
    Luna and the Mane Six chase the Dark Ones into the shadows.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

That's not how I've set up the Dark Ones to work. They're more like.......'plant seed of power and corruption in someone and then stand in the back and watch what happens. They wouldn't particularly interfere and would stay in the backward and let Luna and The Mane Six take on Celestia. They don't really care if their selected pony/creature succeeds or not, but mostly amusement in watching how it all plays out.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not how I've set up the Dark Ones to work. They're more like.......'plant seed of power and corruption in someone and then stand in the back and watch what happens. They wouldn't particularly interfere and would stay in the backward and let Luna and The Mane Six take on Celestia. They don't really care if their selected pony/creature succeeds or not, but mostly amusement in watching how it all plays out.
    That matches up with Crisis' version of the timeline more than Orzel's, I'm afraid, since he specifically stated that Celestia banished Luna to the moon on the false pretenses of being Nightmare Moon. But it does give me an idea... hm.