1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] OOC 3: Eccentric Cheerilee

Oh running gags you

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

@Half Tangible: Waiting on Moon Blossom here
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Oh running gags you
    Tsk.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    And then he runs. All the way back into town, through the gate, and to the Guard Barracks, comically crashing through the front door and skidding to a halt.

"I don't suppose I could borrow a security detail?"
    I think I would be leaving this one to someone else, not really savvy of guard stuff
    Or should I pick it up?
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what. I'm considering dumping this whole Shell Shock/Arvadaa thing. Putting such an artificial constraint on his actions is not what I wanted from this and I do not feel like trying to justify some sort of funky in-character chain of events just to make it magically go away.

I'm sorry, but had you told me from the start that this was your intention, I would have said no from the get go and we wouldn't be in this mess.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-06-22 at 11:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Respectfully, Grif, considering the actions Shell's taken, this is the most generous option he's got.

First off, it's a complete bluff, which means if he's brave enough to try it, he can actually do anything he wants.

Secondly, even if he doesn't call it, all she's stopping him from doing is going on a mass-murder spree and/or executing her. Not condemning explosions, his job, or his life. Making certain he doesn't kill a couple hundred innocents again. That's it.

Thirdly, even if Shell (and you, for that matter) go totally off the deep end and just start wasting people and try to off Arvadraa, the absolute worst she can possibly do (Blades being another matter) is knock him out and put him in the adjacent county. Despite all her posturing, she's still not the type to kill pretty much ever unless her subplot ends with her as a soulless abomination, in which case you have my express permission to explode her and bury the remains in the woods.

She had plenty of opportunity to just kill Shell while he was out (which, actually, literally any of my other characters would have done, OOC barring or no), but instead I chose to allow for an option that would not only let him just get on with his life, but would actually impose an (albeit limited) consequence. Like I said above, the only thing this is doing is scaring him into not blowing up mass amounts of people, which he shouldn't even have been doing in the first place.

Personally, I feel like you're trying to squirm your character out of IC consequences for mass murder. But I'm sorry, considering that a person in real life (nevermind the possibility, given the timeline of Equestria, of literally 'going medieval') would be jailed and put in the electric chair about fifty times over for doing what Shell Shock just did, this is the best out you could possibly get. If Purity, Orzel, Benson, and you all decide that we should retcon the mission, then by Celestia’s wingtips I’ll gladly let the entire thing slide. But blocking this at every turn until Shell gets off scot-free? Come on.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

I much rather have him die at this point. The main reason I created Shell Shock was to have a character not constrained by normal morality.

The only reason I pulled the thing off is because
    a) I thought it would be cool
    b) It would just drive home that Shell Shock is really just a mercenary, who doesn't care what happened so long pretty explosions.
    c) Pretty explosions.

Now that it has come to this. I don't know. I dislike intensely when someone tries to dictate to me on what constraints my character should operate under in these circumstances. Consequences are one thing. There are already many. Grills and Fox would probably shun Shell Shock on sight. Blades doesn't really care. The police would probably catch up on him at some point. What you're doing feels like railroading my character to your desired morality. That much I don't care for. If you want to kill him, then do so already.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-06-23 at 02:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

My main two points are thus:

1) I'm doing my utmost to avoid killing off your character. I hate it when people kill mine, other people hate it when people kill theirs, and thus the Golden Rule applies.

2) Shell Shock doesn't have to 'morality' anything. Even a 'if you don't see me do it' loophole would get him out of dangers that aren't even dangerous in the first place. The bluff doesn't require a change in lifestyle. If he's really that afraid of the possibility that he‘ll explode, the only thing he actually has to do is avoid blowing up a bunch of people in public. And considering Bridle Shores is still standing, that frankly doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

From what I’ve seen of Shell, his attitude as the ‘meh’ mercenary makes the concept that he would be browbeat by shunning from Fox Trot and Grills (ponies who, as far as I know, are acquaintances at best) is a bit absurd. And his status as a competent combatant with a bunch of explosives just burning a hole in his bags would take the phrase ‘fudge the police’ and give it a brand new meaning.

Meaning that so far, his consequences are:

1) A bluff that, while he may fear for a time, he barely has to cop to and won't do anything when called.
    2) The anger of two ponies which, while possibly hurtful if they're more than acquaintances, doesn't actually mean anything if he doesn't actually care.
    3) Metaphorical flies on a windshield, if the police even suspect him at all (And no survivors means low chances).

Which means that, in turn, the negative impact of the loss of potentially hundreds of lives is just Roleplay fodder. And that’s really what it all comes down to. This isn’t railroading. This isn’t a straight-shot plotline. This isn’t a ‘do or die’. The entirety of what comes next in Shell’s life is up to Shell. Whether he plays it sneaky, plays it safe, repents, continues on, calls the bluff…that’s all on him. This detonation thing is just a byword, Grif. I’m handing you a map.

Which direction are you going with it?
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to see if this can be talked out for now, but I would like to make sure two points are clear:

1) That is, in fact, a rock, and not a grenade. So it's not a matter of would she actually do it, it's a matter that she can't do it.

2) Shell Shock is also a heavy drinker. Sober, shunning may be no big deal. After a pint several pints a barrel a lot of alcohol, that may not be the case. I can see how Grif can make him feel regret if he so chooses. Though not the "oh no I killed a bunch of stuff" regret, the "oh no, my friends don't like me and I have no idea why" sort of regret.

I'd bring up other points, but I'm interested to see where you'd want to take Shell Shock after the heist, and I don't want to pre-emptively influence that answer. I'll be watching the conversation closely, and keeping the DM hat on standby in case things get too heated/frustrating for all involved. I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd much rather see this resolved without having somepony feel as though they want to give up on a character.

*juggles hats*
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-06-23 at 10:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

I think I've found 4 solutions so far
    -Make him drink so much he forgets he has a rock in him, then it dissolves with time.

-Trip and shatter it, or make it pop out

-Just bring it to any of my characters (they're all good aligned and don't know him anyways) and they could put it out.... though methods differ, I recommend sumbling into the one sleeping in the clinic

-use it as fun stuff. IE: make a raging hunter shoot an arrow at him, then it gets completely wasted for hitting the rock

Also Kelvin, as far I've seen, it seems K since it doesn't kill him or anything, problem is: It still is Grif's character, he doesn't just control him, but also decide what happens to him. Putting a rock in him and threatening with it being a bomb is a pretty annoying roleplay load, especially for a character that's supposed to be just crazed, that sort of stuff is usually discussed with the player before actually done.
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I think that while it could have been done less forcefully, Kelvin's got some fairly good points here.

If Shell Shock does keep up being careless destructive and doesn't find ways to avoid getting in trouble... Well, as you mentioned, there would be consequences. Arvadraa's empty threats aren't really doing much harm, aren't doing any that won't be done already, and I think it makes sense, given what I know of her personality. It's just her trying to make sure he doesn't go too far, and it's quite possible that she won't succeed, in which case other bad things happen anyway.

Now, if you want to have your somewhat amoral character, there are several ways to avoid getting into trouble. Go ahead, girls.

There's always subtlety. You can get away with things easily if no one knows you did them. Sometimes, what they don't know won't hurt them, and they can't be mad at you if they don't know that you're responsible anyway.

If you can use some restraint, that is better than getting carried away. There are lines you don't cross without being considered irredeemable, and knowing where those lines are can help. Limit how far you go if you do wrong.

When ya're charismatic enough, no one really can get that mad at ya, can they? If ya're nice 'n likeable, it doesn't matter what ya do... Okay, it matters a bit, but not as much, 'cause they'll be quick to forgive ya!

Now, if you can justify it somehow, that can help. You can claim it was an accident on your part, or, better yet, convince them that it was a misunderstanding on their part, and that you were actually doing the right thing in a way they didn't realize.

Thanks. Subtlety, restraint, charisma or justification can all make being less than moral easier. If you're not going to do the right thing, at least don't be too straightforward about it.

For the record, the Mareabian Knight Force does not in any way advocate destructive, malicious, or otherwise amoral acts.

The Agrabuck Thieves' Guild only advocates destructive, malicious, or otherwise amoral acts within reasonable limits.

Heavy Metal Ironworks only advocates destructive, malicious, or otherwise amoral acts if the ones ya're doin' 'em to had it comin'.

The Subterranean Terror advocates destructive, malicious, or otherwise amoral acts if they're awesome enough... Whoops, sorry, I mean Obsidian Flare doesn't advocate destructive, malicious, or otherwise amoral acts because they're wrong and very, very bad.

...Okay, that's enough. Seriously, don't be bad guy. You will ruin your liver.

Meanwhile, I imagine once Night Jewel finally shows up, her plans are going to lead to hilarity ensuing, especially if she goes after the wrong target at least once.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    Meanwhile, I imagine once Night Jewel finally shows up, her plans are going to lead to hilarity ensuing, especially if she goes after the wrong target at least once.
    ...why is everypony looking at me?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, now that I had time to cool off and thinks things through, here are my answers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I'm going to see if this can be talked out for now, but I would like to make sure two points are clear:

1) That is, in fact, a rock, and not a grenade. So it's not a matter of would she actually do it, it's a matter that she can't do it.

2) Shell Shock is also a heavy drinker. Sober, shunning may be no big deal. After a pint several pints a barrel a lot of alcohol, that may not be the case. I can see how Grif can make him feel regret if he so chooses. Though not the "oh no I killed a bunch of stuff" regret, the "oh no, my friends don't like me and I have no idea why" sort of regret.

I'd bring up other points, but I'm interested to see where you'd want to take Shell Shock after the heist, and I don't want to pre-emptively influence that answer. I'll be watching the conversation closely, and keeping the DM hat on standby in case things get too heated/frustrating for all involved. I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd much rather see this resolved without having somepony feel as though they want to give up on a character.

*juggles hats*
    For your first point, my initial point of contention is that Shell Shock ICly doesn't know this. It was after some thinking that I realised Shell Shock as I made him doesn't really fear death. It's part and parcel of his business and really, the best way for him (in his mind) to go out is to die fighting.

As for point 2, no, after this fiasco, I'll be retiring him for a long, long time. Or, if he does have his own adventures, he'll be somewhere far away. The entire incident has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Also Kelvin, as far I've seen, it seems K since it doesn't kill him or anything, problem is: It still is Grif's character, he doesn't just control him, but also decide what happens to him. Putting a rock in him and threatening with it being a bomb is a pretty annoying roleplay load, especially for a character that's supposed to be just crazed, that sort of stuff is usually discussed with the player before actually done.
    I think Luka summed it up pretty well here. The thing that upset me the most is how you heavy-handedly tried to graft something into my character that without at least informing me over PM or through here. Your condescending tone in your post, whether intentional or otherwise, did not help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    -snip-
    While I appreciate the advice, I think I know how to play an amoral character.

My main two points are thus:

1) I'm doing my utmost to avoid killing off your character. I hate it when people kill mine, other people hate it when people kill theirs, and thus the Golden Rule applies.

2) Shell Shock doesn't have to 'morality' anything. Even a 'if you don't see me do it' loophole would get him out of dangers that aren't even dangerous in the first place. The bluff doesn't require a change in lifestyle. If he's really that afraid of the possibility that he‘ll explode, the only thing he actually has to do is avoid blowing up a bunch of people in public. And considering Bridle Shores is still standing, that frankly doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

From what I’ve seen of Shell, his attitude as the ‘meh’ mercenary makes the concept that he would be browbeat by shunning from Fox Trot and Grills (ponies who, as far as I know, are acquaintances at best) is a bit absurd. And his status as a competent combatant with a bunch of explosives just burning a hole in his bags would take the phrase ‘fudge the police’ and give it a brand new meaning.

Meaning that so far, his consequences are:

1) A bluff that, while he may fear for a time, he barely has to cop to and won't do anything when called.
    2) The anger of two ponies which, while possibly hurtful if they're more than acquaintances, doesn't actually mean anything if he doesn't actually care.
    3) Metaphorical flies on a windshield, if the police even suspect him at all (And no survivors means low chances).

Which means that, in turn, the negative impact of the loss of potentially hundreds of lives is just Roleplay fodder. And that’s really what it all comes down to. This isn’t railroading. This isn’t a straight-shot plotline. This isn’t a ‘do or die’. The entirety of what comes next in Shell’s life is up to Shell. Whether he plays it sneaky, plays it safe, repents, continues on, calls the bluff…that’s all on him. This detonation thing is just a byword, Grif. I’m handing you a map.

Which direction are you going with it?
    And finally, for you. I don't know. I still mislike the tone you took here. Or maybe it's just me being tired at being lectured at. But for what's its worth, I apologise for my outburst. That does not mean I'm happy about this, merely that I'll just suck this up and deal with it. You make good points and I agree that to a certain extent, I was trying to minimise the consequences to Shell Shock so that I can retire him without further incident.

In the future, if you plan on surgically grafting any sort of rock to my characters, please, at least inform me before hand. I don't deal very well with surprises. Others might, but I don't.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-06-24 at 10:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I concur. This could have been handled much more easily if I'd been more communicative about my intentions. And no, I didn't intend to come off as condescending (in fact my original post would have crossed the line into jerkass without revision).

@Mindfreak/Luka - Does the spell get rid of just the pain receptors, or does it rewire the entire nervous system? I ask because being entirely numb would probably cause some problems while fighting. Also, can they still be knocked out by blunt force trauma, or would it just daze them?

15. - Top - End - #45

@Mindfreak/Luka - Does the spell get rid of just the pain receptors, or does it rewire the entire nervous system? I ask because being entirely numb would probably cause some problems while fighting. Also, can they still be knocked out by blunt force trauma, or would it just daze them?
    I think it actually makes them completely insensible to it, critical existencial failure-like. Not exactly sure about the knock out part ...
    Extended sig
    Bloody Screens
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Lochbed called out for Ember. "EMBER! Smoothie is ready!"
    *stares*

*looks at Mystic*

*looks back at post*

... Must... not... say... anything...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    *stares*

*looks at Mystic*

*looks back at post*

... Must... not... say... anything...
    Thank you very much for not doing so.

For everypony, I know you like shipping and stuff, but Smoothie is my one pony I'd like everypony to leave out of it. Please.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2012-06-24 at 10:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think anyone has plans to a ship pony who's kinda out of the game

also, Smoothie's not exactly compatible with anyone given her nature
    Last edited by Benson; 2012-06-24 at 10:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think anyone has plans to a ship pony who's kinda out of the game
    It wouldn't surprise me.

also, Smoothie's not exactly compatible with anyone given her nature
    This is part of the reason I brought it up.

Back to your regularly scheduled....whatever is regularly scheduled.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I have gifs stashed all over the internet, in case of reaction gif emergency.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you very much for not doing so.

For everypony, I know you like shipping and stuff, but Smoothie is my one pony I'd like everypony to leave out of it. Please.
    You've made it perfectly clear that Smoothie ain't gettin shippin'

...Doesn't stop Hay Bale from trying >.> I keep telling her, the guys from inception are not gonna help her rewrite Smoothie's subconscious...
    It wouldn't surprise me.

This is part of the reason I brought it up.

Wasn't there going to be a ball at some point?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh? Of what?

I think we need something light-hearted to spice up the RP though. Too much bay bad guys threatening to invade, too little fun.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-06-25 at 07:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

^I could get behind some sort of fun randomness. If not a ball, then what other ideas might we do? Festival? Performers come to town? Attack by party cannon?

24. - Top - End - #54

Okay, so it's like this.
    The spell prevents them from feeling any kind of pain. Like those crazy soldiers in the Eragon series.
    They are not just numb.
    And blunt force trauma would just daze them.

Also, they're unable to speak about who casted the spell on them, no about the spell itself.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

No shipping was intended.

Besides Lochbed doesn't understand the concept of shipping and would more likely confuse it with actual ships. Probably destroying ships.

And Lochbed would more likely try to eat the out of the game Smoothie (and practically anypony else she does not know) as her loyalty to Ember is unwavering as long as Ember doesn't break the pact.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

...Doesn't stop Hay Bale from trying >.> I keep telling her, the guys from inception are not gonna help her rewrite Smoothie's subconscious...

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Oh? Of what?

I think we need something light-hearted to spice up the RP though. Too much bay bad guys threatening to invade, too little fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    ^I could get behind some sort of fun randomness. If not a ball, then what other ideas might we do? Festival? Performers come to town? Attack by party cannon?

Half Tangible is referring to that adventure for Icy, Lone Star, and Fox that takes them to Manehatten to infiltrate a charity ball hosted by Fox's father.

But anyways, Amish, perhaps indeed a festival, a festival that celebrates the steadfastness of Bridle Shores against the many would invaders :P

27. - Top - End - #57

How about the Party Pony Pro's Circus comes to town?
    Busy with Life

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

But anyways, Amish, perhaps indeed a festival, a festival that celebrates the steadfastness of Bridle Shores against the many would invaders :P
    Heh, perhaps they planned this thing months ago, and things have just been going downhill ever since. But daggum it all, they're having their festival, even if they've got undead, earthquakes, and imminent invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    How about the Party Pony Pro's Circus comes to town?
    I can't remember who said this, but I think somepony didn't want any canon character (Celestia and Luna are obvious exceptions) showing up. That doesn't stop them from sponsoring performers and entertainers to spread cheer and laughter wherever they go.

Any ideas for a theme/holiday beyond "Screw you grimdark world, we're having a party"?

29. - Top - End - #59

Except the Pony Party Pros isn't canon XD
    It's something I thought up a while ago.

Imagine the Flim-Flam brothers crossed with Pinkie Pie and throw in a bit of Rainbow Dash and you get a troup of ponies that love to entertain and party and to impress!
    Busy with Life

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the founding of Bridle Shores a set date yet? Because if not, bingo. Also, if we're willing to wait, we could try synching something with the Summer Solstice, too.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-06-25 at 02:57 PM.