New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: A New Base Class: The Cardcaptor

After a long day of driving through the rain to get home from an appointment, I decided that I had to finish at least one card today all the way through. And then (ironically) it hit me: the Through! I'm proud to announce that the Through has slipped through the cracks and is up on the page. Catch it if you can!
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

2. - Top - End - #122

Chimera

Thanks to rewatching the episodes in Japanese, I've discovered a way to fix Time! Limitations on its Sakura Power! Specifically, it can only revert time once a day, which would mean that upon using it, you can't revert time until the exact moment you did it last. Also, it can only revert time the full 24 hours at midnight. Would these two limitations help with balancing it out a bit?
    Show
    Show
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

3. - Top - End - #123

That does help Time a lot, yea.

I like The Through a lot. As for the Rain...hm. The Clow power is good; can the Sakura power be progressed to be like...something like a more aggressive storm?

4. - Top - End - #124

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    That does help Time a lot, yea.
    Hooray!

I like The Through a lot. As for the Rain...hm. The Clow power is good; can the Sakura power be progressed to be like...something like a more aggressive storm?
    Woah, woah, woah; we can't go barging into Storm's territory like that. That would be MAD![/silly] In all seriousness, that is what the Storm does-she makes storms. In fact, as you may have noticed, I purposefully marked the Rain as only being able to make it rain. The Storm, whom I'm currently working on, has a similar ability, with the limitation instead being only the ones with "storm" in their name; thunderstorm, hailstorm, and sleet storms are going to be listed. Then there's the Cloud, who can also do the same, with the limitation being cloud-formations only (to balance this, I'm probably going to cause it to also control winds by extension, along with Fog Cloud at will). Finally, the Snow can control snow (is that a spell?) and has a variant of the control weather, specifically only snowstorms.

...Maybe make the water scalding hot (Line of steam (6d10 fire, DC equal to class level?))?
    Show
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

Right, I totally forgot the Storm even existed...been awake for four days straight, forgive me!

Scalding hot rain doesn't really make sense, though...hm. Maybe something like being able to end rains that cause a Pattern/Rainbow effect? Idk.

6. - Top - End - #126

Chimera

Right, I totally forgot the Storm even existed...been awake for four days straight, forgive me!
    Okay. You're forgiven. Also, I advise getting some sleep, [joke]you insomniac zombie.[/joke]

Scalding hot rain doesn't really make sense, though...hm. Maybe something like being able to end rains that cause a Pattern/Rainbow effect? Idk.
    Well, there is a spell called Prismatic Deluge in Complete Mage, but it's a 9th level spell, so it'd have to be toned down some how...

Also, rainbows are a common effect caused whenever water particles in the air have light shine through them, so the Clow Card effect can already do that...

On another note, the more I watch the anime, the more abilities I rediscover Shadow possesses, increasing the difficulty of statting it out...
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2013-07-16 at 07:07 PM.
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127

Chimera

No clever puns this time (can't think of one). Erase is up.
    Show
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

I guess you drew a blank that time. ^_^ *rimshot*

As for Erase, I would make make the Clow power a bit more relaxed, for balance, such as allowing living beings a reroll on their save every <amount of time> to escape. Otherwise you basically have to just fail the first save and then you're utterly screwed save by the mercy of the Cardcaptor.

9. - Top - End - #129

Chimera

Edited.
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

I'd make the save re-attempts based on the TARGET'S CHA modifier, else the Cardcaptor has an incentive against raising their CHA.

11. - Top - End - #131

Chimera

I'd make the save re-attempts based on the TARGET'S CHA modifier, else the Cardcaptor has an incentive against raising their CHA.
    True. Then again, the Cardcaptor's casting, along with most of the Clow Cards, is CHA based, so they already have incentive to raise their CHA. I do see your point, however, and will make another edit to the ability. Also, in light of my desire to complete at least on card fully per day, and as Erase is still undergoing some tweaks to shine as it does in the anime, I'm putting up the Glow as well (I'm back, baby ). Give her a look!
    Show
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

I like it!

13. - Top - End - #133

Chimera

A thought just came to me: what if I gave Song the ability to give its user a +20 on Perform checks involving singing?
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

That makes sense! A bit too specialized to be just one of the card's powers though.

I like the idea of just letting it emulate Bardic Music.

15. - Top - End - #135

Chimera

That makes sense! A bit too specialized to be just one of the card's powers though.
    Then how about any perform check?

I like the idea of just letting it emulate Bardic Music.
    Only reason I didn't do that: This class is supposed to be a Jack of All Trades, but giving it the specific class abilities of another class (Barbarian's Rage, Bard Music, Clerics Undead Turn/Rebuking, etc.) would enable this class to overshadow the class it's assisting and/or filling in for (That's the only reason I didn't give it Bardic Knack. ). Unless you think that it's necessary to truly represent the concept, or that it would truly allow the class to be a Jack of All Trades, I'm probably not going to give it uncommon class abilities of other classes...

MY thoughts on the Cardcaptor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I started this class, I pictured it as a very versatile class that could to fill nearly any party role, like Bards or DFAs. That way they'd be excellent for smaller parties and those lacking critical skills. As I built it, I tried to make so that, with a little tweaking, a Cardcaptor could be made to suit any player or role. However, until this class gets playtested, there's no way to know whether or not my hopes were well founded or misguided.
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Then how about any perform check?
    What does the Song have to do with dancing or joke-telling? :P

Only reason I didn't do that: This class is supposed to be a Jack of All Trades, but giving it the specific class abilities of another class (Barbarian's Rage, Bard Music, Clerics Undead Turn/Rebuking, etc.) would enable this class to overshadow the class it's assisting and/or filling in for (That's the only reason I didn't give it Bardic Knack. ). Unless you think that it's necessary to truly represent the concept, or that it would truly allow the class to be a Jack of All Trades, I'm probably not going to give it uncommon class abilities of other classes...
    It doesn't have to perform it as well as the class itself; the same way a Paladin's Turn Undead will never be as good as a Cleric's.

also, Factotums are one of the most beloved classes EVER. This entire paragraph's kinda invalid.

When I started this class, I pictured it as a very versatile class that could to fill nearly any party role, like Bards or DFAs. That way they'd be excellent for smaller parties and those lacking critical skills. As I built it, I tried to make so that, with a little tweaking, a Cardcaptor could be made to suit any player or role. However, until this class gets playtested, there's no way to know whether or not my hopes were well founded or misguided.
    All the more reason to do the above, then. I promise, promise, promise to play test it once we have it suitably complete; I've been eager to play it since day one.

17. - Top - End - #137

Chimera

What does the Song have to do with dancing or joke-telling? :P

It doesn't have to perform it as well as the class itself; the same way a Paladin's Turn Undead will never be as good as a Cleric's.

also, Factotums are one of the most beloved classes EVER. This entire paragraph's kinda invalid.

All the more reason to do the above, then. I promise, promise, promise to play test it once we have it suitably complete; I've been eager to play it since day one.
    Alright, then what do you suggest?
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

Suggest for what, exactly? I've pitched an idea for the Song already, haven't I?

19. - Top - End - #139

Chimera

Well, should it be access to Bardic Music as a Bard of 1/2 your class level, or as your class level - 4 min. 1, etc.?
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

1/2 seems the most elegant.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

In the game they use the The Flower Card as a healing card and other cards like The Voice, The Song and similar to passively upgrade your stats, and others like the The Dash, The Jump, and Power that do the same while having active abilities. You can take a few ideas from there (if you can get past the Japanese, you'll be able to get the gist of it):

"Card Captor Sakura - Sakura to Fushigi na Clow Card" for Wonderswan.

There are some game mechanics and battle stats that might prove useful for the cards they use. Here's a D&D class called "Entity Binder" that seems similar to her power.
    Last edited by Taisen; 2014-01-13 at 10:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Taisen View Post
    In the game they use the The Flower Card as a healing card and other cards like The Voice, The Song and similar to passively upgrade your stats, and others like the The Dash, The Jump, and Power that do the same while having active abilities. You can take a few ideas from there (if you can get past the Japanese, you'll be able to get the gist of it):

"Card Captor Sakura - Sakura to Fushigi na Clow Card" for Wonderswan.

There are some game mechanics and battle stats that might prove useful for the cards they use. Here's a D&D class called "Entity Binder" that seems similar to her power.

And what about powers like Li has?
    That may be a good place to look for some of the cards; thank you for the tip. It wasn't the only game made based off the show, though, and I haven't played any of them sadly. Still, I'll give it a look.

Sorry to all for my terrible posting schedule on this. Every time I seem to get an opening and start picking up where I left off, a Deus Ex Machina seems to get involved and pull me away. Luckily, this semester I've got fewer classes (albeit harder classes), so I really should have time to work on this again (finally). I'll try not to abandon you all again. I already know I've got some people willing to PEACH it, so for your sake, mine, and theirs, I should really get the Alpha version complete once and for all. The main difficulty I've been facing (when working on it) is finding mechanics that truly represent the card while neither making it too powerful nor useless (or, heaven forbid, both). Nevertheless, I made a promise to finish this enough for testing, so I best finish it enough for testing! Back to work with me!
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Clow Cards in D&D 3.5

I'd make some changes though; like having the Wave summon a Tidal Wave. It's something I found through google.

24. - Top - End - #144

Oh this is a lovely resource though, thank you Taisen!

25. - Top - End - #145

Chimera

I'll give it a read; looks like there might be some useful stuff.
    Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Chimera

Sorry I have been away so long. Have returned and updated the tables. Only problem, now all the card images in the tables are wonky. Going to try and fix that.
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh man, I loved this show as a kid. Even got myself a toy version of the wand. Still kind of want to find one of those decks of full-sized imitation Clow cards. *sigh*

Everything looks good so far, although I really want to see the stat blocks for the various characters as well. Also for some reason Power's stat block description makes me laugh so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

28. - Top - End - #148

Chimera

And again, I return from a long period of no edits. I really am sorry that I keep doing this. I am now re-watching the entire series (Japanese version, of course), including the movies, and will do each in the order that I arrive at it. And to put my (non-existent) money where my mouth is, I will be posting the cards here for discussion before adding them to the list; that way people can give me their opinion of the card before I plop it in (the text file for the cards themselves is very big; big enough to warrant 4 posts in a thread to avoid text limiters!). To start, here is...

The Shadow
    "Shadow can touch us, but we can't touch it."
    -Cerberus
    Card Type:
    Personality:
    Stat Block: Same as Unseen Servant, but with fly speed of 30 ft and a Strength score of 10+(2*Darkness level). Size bonuses are applied.
    Description: Shadow looks like a cloaked figure in a black cloak and hood resembling the Grim Reaper. So it can be surmised that it is a male card.
    Clow Powers: When activated, Shadow can take up one of two roles: Offensive or Support. When Offensive, Shadow manifests itself for 2 rounds per class level. Shadow will then manipulate any existing shadows around the target with the intent to bind them in place; depending on the light level in the area, it receives a bonus to the grapple check(s). In areas of bright light (such as a Daylight spell), the shadows in the area are too thin, resulting in a -5 to grapple checks; areas of partial shade grant a +2 to grapple checks, dim light grants a +5 to grapple checks, and areas of supernatural darkness (such as a Darkness spell) grant a +10 to grapple checks. When Supportive, Shadow merges with the user's shadow, allowing it to interact with the world. Anywhere the user's shadow stretches, Shadow projects a special Unseen Servant; unlike a normal Unseen Servant, the user's shadow can do anything the user themselves can, so long as it doesn't require sound. However, as the shadow mimics the user's movements, the user must perform the action. Shadow can only possess the user's shadow for 2 rounds per class level before returning to card form.
    Sakura Powers:
    Card Under: The Light
    DM Notes:

What do you think?
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

I like it! What's "-Cerberus" all about?

30. - Top - End - #150

Chimera

It was a quote from Kero-chan. Traditionally, after a quote you put a -[name]. At least, they do that a lot in the 3.5 books.
    Show
    Show