New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A New Base Class: The Cardcaptor

Oh pfft, I didn't even notice the quote right above it. Nevermind I'm stupid.

2. - Top - End - #152

Chimera

Hello, any and all who were interested in this. I apologize for my inactivity with regards to this project; college life can get busy and I eventually forgot I was mid-way through this project. It bothers me that I've left this incomplete for so long, so I feel it is time I finally come back to this and finish it, once and for all (and this time I really mean it).

So here's the lowdown on what I am still working on. I've been having a lot of trouble figuring out both what each card no matter what can and cannot do as well as what limitations would be necessary to keep it balanced. The Cardcaptor is definitely a tier 1 class considering it gets full casting at 20th level, has plenty of skills and skill points, and a bunch of special tricks unique to it (such as the free magical garment effects that I'm still trying to make), but at the same time, I don't want the class to be so strong it raises the question of "why play anything else."

That said, there are a few things that need to be changed now that I know more about the game. To begin with, the Trials of Destiny and Oblivion. They are important rituals that were planned by Clow, but as they are right now, I'm not sure they fit in properly with the flow. By taking the class to these levels of power (10th and 20th, respectively), you are forcing the DM to include a unique scenario specific to a single player, which may or may not fit well into their existing plan. As such, I am considering rewriting them to be optional; specifically, I am thinking about having the ritual itself be an option, not the end result. There is only supposed to be one Cardcaptor who's modifying the Clow Cards, after all, and The Nothing is not supposed to be an easy-to-obtain card, what with its power effectively being a living sphere of annihilation that obeys your commands (in other words, effectively an upgrade of the statue from Tomb of Horrors).

Meanwhile, on the "still needing to be finished" workbench is most of the Clow Cards. I was trying to make sure I caught exactly what each card does and does not do by going one episode at a time and making notes, but then life intervened and I stopped watching. Another element that has its own workbench (rather a sewing table) is Dress For Success. Almost all the costumes have no abilities whatsoever, which bothers me since they are meant to give the class a special flair fitting of the Magical Girl style. The ability is meant to modify existing clothes and armor, so that gives it its own problems (perhaps restrict it to Light armor only?), but more than that, I just haven't put in enough effort in thinking up and researching fitting equipment effects for each style.

Finally, there's the 15th and 18th level abilities. Since this class was designed with non-multiclassing in mind (no casting until level 11, etc.), I tried to give the class fitting abilities at each level so that there were not any "dead" levels that made people not want to advance to them. Basically, I tried to make sure every level gave something special. These two levels have nothing at the moment, with 18 probably going to be left blank because of the multiple abilities received at 19th level, but I feel there should be something at 15th level. I do not currently know what, but something. If anyone has suggestions (whether the suggestions be an ability, stat boost, that it remain blank, etc.), I'm all ears.

With regards to Yue, Cerberus, and other stat blocks at the end of the chapter, those will come later on; While Cerberus is the guardian familiar and therefore needs his stats for the stat advancement to work at all and Yue needs his stats for the 10th level ritual, right now my priority is getting the cards and outfits completed. That being said, I am open to any and all help that anyone is willing to give.

Here is the bucket list of what needs completion in order of priority:
    1. Most of the Clow Cards. (If anyone knows how to get the card images to show up at a set size consistently, that's be a very big help).
    2. Dress for Success abilities.
    3. Cerberus' base stats, with advancement kept in mind.
    4. Yue's Stats, balanced for a battle at level 10-11.

I haven't abandoned this. It just was put on the shelf for a while. I want to at least get it to the point that it can be PEACH'd, at the very least, so I'll try to not disappear again any time soon.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

3. - Top - End - #153

Bear in mind regarding Yue that his statblock could be superior, given that he's probably supposed to rein it in and conduct himself in a manner proportional to the candidates being tested.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the description of Clow Cards - I'm pretty sure all 4 elements were required for obtaining Light & Dark (which in the series were converted simultaneously).

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding Cerberus - visually speaking, he looks like a 4-legged love child between a Leonal and an Avoral
    By CC-level 20, it should be at least that powerful.
    This should give you a decent ground level to work from.

One thing that doesn't add up for me in your CC class is that there's absolutely no justification why it should be nearly as powerful as you made it to be spell-wise.
    In my view, it would be perfectly within theme if your CC had spellcasting progression of a Sorc. w/ 9 levels delay, culminating at 20th w/ 5th SL access.

6. - Top - End - #156

He's basing that design point on the plot element that Sakura Kinomoto was chosen because she's destined to be the strongest spellcaster in the CLAMP multiverse.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    He's basing that design point on the plot element that Sakura Kinomoto was chosen because she's destined to be the strongest spellcaster in the CLAMP multiverse.
    1. It's all a question of what constitutes "powerful" in the storyline's multiverse.
    2. In the CCS universe, magic depends mostly upon cards, with other magical means being secondary. The Nothing seems like a pretty mean card, yet she transformed it into Hope. Seems quite in line to me with being powerful.

8. - Top - End - #158

In the manga, Sakura becomes capable of legitimate spellcasting without using the cards, and is described as more powerful than a guy who knows Wish/Miracle.

The reasoning for giving full spellcasting is clear, even if I agree it can probably be adjusted for better balance and smooth design.

9. - Top - End - #159

Chimera

AT is correct. My reasoning is based on the manga, which was the original version of the story (and, if I recall correctly, only had 17 cards). Likewise, she is also meant to be the most powerful spellcaster in the CLAMPverse, and when that means stronger than Clow Reed (who was capable of things such as "stopping someone's time so they would not die" and, more importantly, crafting the equivalent to an intelligent and animated Deck of Many Things at the power level of artifacts (if only because there are only one of each and their destruction seems impossible). I'll admit, this was in part due to him splitting his powers in half when he reincarnated, but one could take that in any number of ways.

As for why the casting is like it is, Clow Reed's style of magic was a fusion of "Western" and "Eastern" magic; since there really isn't a difference in magic based on location (unless you are in Faerun), I changed that to be arcane and divine to best represent his magic style. Sakura's magic is stated to be the same, using a balance of "sun and moon." Therefore, I designed the magic system to work on a similar system. This is the reason for getting both arcane and divine spells while having to use an equal amount of each, as well as why her magic counts as arcane or divine based on which would be stronger.

This is one of the elements I intend to modify (mostly by changing it so that it counts as half of each magic type, meaning arcane spell failure would still exist, urpriests would get spell resistance, etc. only at half strength since only half the spell energy is of that type). I also plan to change the spells per level to be always even numbers (3's to 2's, 5's to 4's) to keep the ratio proper. One important detail that (hopefully) keeps this from being Tier 0 is that you do not have the infinite spell knowledge of a wizard or a cleric since your spell list is more restricted and you only get half as many spells for each type with the balance restriction.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.