Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Southern Comfort OOC

If we're not mentioning it, why was it just mentioned?
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Grath - Southern Comfort Campaign
    Prizes:
    Eglath - 2nd Place Iron Chef XXXII

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium. Adopt an Avatar today.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ogre in the Playground

The ring is kinda a gift from a god. She can keep it as a reminder of us.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Barbarian in the Playground

The ring is a personal gift, so no problem with that. The gloves are a part of the loot, distributed according to a mutual agreement. Well, I doubt Gregor will like to be told that she will pay her debt... eventually... if they ever meet. On the other hand, if Delphi returns the gloves, she turns from debtor into creditor, and her share of the loot is potentially payable with group's funds and/or items.
    Avatar of this guy made by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, we haven't had to update that spreadsheet in a while. I think Grath still owes like 50 gold or something.

EDIT: per the spreadsheet, 61.04 gold
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-10 at 09:54 AM.
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, anyone got anything else they want to do tonight? Think Dardiana's the only one with any sort of hook to work with.

If there's no more action anyone wants tonight I'll play the NEXT MORNING card.

Insofar as you can tell when it's morning in this place.

As for the gloves...it would be very unnatural for her to just randomly hand them over to somebody else, but I promise that have a bit of patience and they'll wind up back in group inventory.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-11-12 at 04:15 AM.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm ready for next morning if you are. And while I'm not worried, per se, about the gloves, Delphi would be massively in debt if she left the party in some way with the gloves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

7. - Top - End - #1117

Gregor has no plans for anything until the "morning".
    Avatar of this guy made by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

ready to wake whenever
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

9. - Top - End - #1119

Ready am I also.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

did i just assume something happened that didnt, i know grath and horbin were holding them but didnt think to look back at whether or not we actually brought them.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ogre in the Playground

We have them. Check page 35 of the IC thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    A couple of gentle thumps indicate that Gretchen and Nuisance have managed the same, Gretchen is carrying three of the metallic 10-foot poles.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanleyindraven View Post
    Horbin will grab any remaining poles and then launch himself to the central sphere.
    ((Yay! Home internet at last!))

There are too many of the poles for Horbin to carry with any degree of grace, but he manages to get across with eight.[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Before moving forward into the hall, Grath will bounce back and forth to retrieve the rest of the poles as necessary and move them on, staying out of the discussion for the time being.
    EDIT: and now that Grath just tripped over them, it is confirmed.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-14 at 11:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm gonna need someone to carry her studded leather... she's gonna go into medium load at this rate.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath looks around and says "What, no crazy walking on walls other than Dardiana? No bouncing tiles? What the *$%#@#$*?!@#$ is this?
    I know. It hardly seems fair.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath is swearing in orcish, by the way. Such a language for swears. Doesn't translate well, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't make Dardiana start whispering to her fey in sylvan. She'll do it too.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a running gag: Elvish is French, Undercommon is therefore Spanish, and Sylvan is Italian. Celestial is Latin.

Draconic is Arabic. Seems to suit it's usual context. Infernal is bad Japanese.

Problem is I don't speak any of these languages. This is because some variation of "I'm sorry, I'm an idiot" coupled with the right demeanor and body language will get you what you need surprisingly often. At least if you're tall and scary-looking.

So please don't start talking to your Fey in Italian, unless you want this to turn into a succession of google-translation jokes.
    The Southern Comforters

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

I might just have to start to talk to it and mumble random nonsense in Italian, then. Don't even know the language either.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ogre in the Playground

Does chinese have an analogue? You should be, at a minimum, familiar with it by now. Also, orcish? Maybe russian?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

Please don't talk about Chinese.

I didn't notice it so much in Jiangsu, but in Shantung they have the habit of repeating "that...that...that...that..." when they're thinking of something. The Shantung Chinese word for "that" happens to resemble a certain offensive word that starts with an "N", has a short "i" after that, and then a couple of "g"s. With an "a" on the end.

The Teacher in my post before me was from Ghana. He was apparently angry the entire time he was here.

I can not imagine why.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-11-16 at 03:25 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm ... not surprised there are words like that out there. It is interesting you should run into one so common where you are, like a stutter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

I've noticed that my Jiangsu pronounciation of "chicken"; "zhearo", is apparently totally incomprehensible to the locals, who say "jeero" instead. It's usually about this point that I give up and start doing guerrilla mischief like teaching the receptionist, who speaks no English, to shout "Blood for the Blood God!", or "All Hail Britannia!" at random intervals.

And I don't even like warhammer, nor did I finish watching Code Geass.

I'm such a poseur.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-11-16 at 10:00 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

Should finish watching Code Geass.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. Well I'll just see which officially-sanctioned video site site supports a melodramatic anime about antiheroic, aristocratic Japanese fighting foreign imperialism shall I? Remember where I am. And remember what people here think of things Japanese.

A couple of months ago was the aniversary of one of the Japanese invasions (the 1931 one). A lot of cars of japanese make could be seen with their insignia covered with a local flag. I was also warned not to got out at night because of course, being 191cm with wavy brown hair and blue eyes I look so totally japanese.

On the lighter side, they are rather into Transformers car accessories. There's at least one guy driving around with a Decepticon logo and the words "To Punish And Enslave" on his doors.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-11-16 at 10:09 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd think they like an anime where the Japanese no longer have their heritage or country, then. *shrug* but I can see why it might be hard to watch it, then.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Linguz View Post
    I'd think they like an anime where the Japanese no longer have their heritage or country, then. *shrug* but I can see why it might be hard to watch it, then.
    Macross? Seriously, the only people with an ethnic identity in that one are the Chinese.

I should note that they DO watch anime...as an educational tool for children. Because of the Kanji in the subtitles. However, they never seem to rise above Naruto.

EDIT: And in answer to the original question...I've thought it would be logical to make Orcish Russian, other goblinoid languages the other slavic tongues, and Dwarven German...but that gets heading toward unfortunate implications.

I don't have a problem with sticking Japanese as the language of Devils because Devils are pretty badass. But Orcs etc are such common sword-fodder mooks it doesn't seem right to pin a real language on them.

Anyway, the whole point of the joke is to have Drow speaking Spanish.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-11-16 at 10:27 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

26. - Top - End - #1136

There's another problem. Everyone knows dwarves always speak with a Scottish or Irish accent. Making them German just wouldn't sound right. Maybe giants instead should speak German? Or Austrian? Would be pretty funny if they sounded like Arnold.
    You could make dwarves speak celtic. Then the accent would make sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

Celtic isn't a language.

Erse, Gaelic (I can't be bothered with what it's called at this precise moment. When I got my education Irish was called "Erse" and Scottish was called "Gaelic". But now they've changed their minds again and now it's "Scots Gaelic" and "Irish Gaelic". Either way, speaking as one whose decendants lie in County Clare, Connacht, I just wish they'd shut up and speak English like the rest of the planet) Welsh and Breton are Celtic languages. I will not mention Cornish as that's apparently only spoken by three people who only use it to hit on German tourists.

Also, they've apparently now decided County Clare is in Munster, rather than Connacht. I hate it when my backstory is subject to revisionism. Not that it changes a single thing.

Oh, and obscure trivia time! According to an ancient (1850s) geography textbook my mother found at a garage sale (the map of Germany has to be seen to be disbelieved) the islands of New Zealand were supposed to be named after Irish provinces. The North Island is New Ulster, the South Island is New Munster, and Stewart is New Leinster. Evidently, there's no place bad enough to wish "New Connacht" on. Although since NZ owns a slab of Antarctica we have a clear candidate.

It would have been nice if somebody had told the actual colonists this, of course. It's a little embarrassing when the economic and political dynamic of you country is between two places called "The North Island" and "The South Island".
    The Southern Comforters

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

It would have been nice if somebody had told the actual colonists this, of course. It's a little embarrassing when the economic and political dynamic of you country is between two places called "The North Island" and "The South Island".
    It sounds like the world map in this game.

* the land we come from is called "your people"
    * the next land is called "the empire"
    * the administrate
    * the republic
    * the union
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

So, are we waiting for anything particular?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing, I thought a few more people would like to post.

The civs are named like this as a joke on the tendency of a lot of settings to have a place called The Empire. Not the Something Empire or the Empire of Something. Just The Empire. Not my best joke ever, but I'll run with it. Also reflects my snobbishness about meaningless fantasy names that everybody has to remember. That's why most of the NPCs have names that are semi-plausible. I think. "Quattro Vierzehn", the exception, is a silly joke.
    The Southern Comforters