Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Southern Comfort OOC

Maybe it is an opposed check, con vs the other person's cha, with appropriate modifiers on both sides? I'm thinking of the first American Pie movie, where there was a failed check for endurance.

And do you really need a feat to have sex? What is this world coming to?
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Grath - Southern Comfort Campaign
    Prizes:
    Eglath - 2nd Place Iron Chef XXXII

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium. Adopt an Avatar today.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Maybe it is an opposed check, con vs the other person's cha, with appropriate modifiers on both sides? I'm thinking of the first American Pie movie, where there was a failed check for endurance.

And do you really need a feat to have sex? What is this world coming to?
    No no.

You do a con check. 10 is 20 min. 12 is 30. 14 is 40. 16 is 50. I think 18 is 60. 25 is 120 mins. 30 is 180 mins. Each time you go at it in a single day, the difficulty increases by 1 step. Anything below the minimum is 10 minutes.

Then the cha check is for perform. Just like others. 10 is routine, etc. Without any ranks, you're not bad, but you're not trained in the smaller parts of it.

And the feat changes the main attribute for perform from cha to con.

I have the book with these rules.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey guys, I'm back from France . And, wow, what did this quest turn into? Can't leave you guys for a fortnight before glorious murder and boobs appear all over the place!

I'll be posting IC shortly, thanks for the patience (and for not killing me, Marlowe).
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

4. - Top - End - #244

yall know there is a book to cover all this... the Book of Erotic Fantasy

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair420 View Post
    yall know there is a book to cover all this... the Book of Erotic Fantasy
    That's exactly where I got my info from.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of books, if and when we level up, are the same restrictions on sources still in place, or did you manage to unpack/find copies of everything? Need to know. Also, not important now (for Grath, at least) , but multiclass XP penalties in play or no?
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Things have got from limited to worse as regards sources, because my laptop is essentially dead, and I'm waiting on getting paid a decent amount to get a new one. Important stuff has been saved to flashdrives, but I'm essentially running this thing from Chinese PC cafes, and from memory, internet sources, and the SRD.

So, I'd appreciate if nobody multiclasses to anything I have no rules for. If somebody suddenly decides a Necromancer is what the team needs, try to make one using Sorceror, or Wizard, or Cleric, or Warlock even.

And no, multiclass XP restrictions are not in place. Because nobody can be bothered with them. Because they're pointlessly annoying. Because they don't do what they were supposed to.

And an odd question@Ragged Angel: Are you an Elfquest fan? 'cause Delphi's sure acting like an Elfquest character, and she looks like one as well.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Mar, if you need any book quotation, just ask me and I'll copy that section down and send it to you (or print screen if it's too long).

Edit: I'll be waiting for Ragged's message before my next post.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-07-23 at 01:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    O RLY?
    Whoops! You get 195

Not both together.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of interest, the plan to use Ingvar's map as a two-way communication device is clever, but it depends on Ingvar realising it can be used that way, and her having the time to look at it.

As to the first, she's a member of a class that needs Dex (light armour caster, a personal focus on archery), Con(we all need con), Wis(having spells), and Chr(save DCs), and at least needs to avoid a strength penalty. Her INT isn't great. As she said right at the start "I was never quick or clever at these things".

As to the second, she's got a town to run.
    The Southern Comforters

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

So the map can be used for two-way commo? Hah! Grath is going to continue to make assumptions about magic that turn out to be right after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    And an odd question@Ragged Angel: Are you an Elfquest fan? 'cause Delphi's sure acting like an Elfquest character, and she looks like one as well.
    Never heard of it, sadly, and I got her picture after a long and tedious Google search. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
    I have several presentations tomorrow/today and a case of strep throat. Expect delays, and wish me luck.

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Never heard of it, sadly, and I got her picture after a long and tedious Google search. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
    Ooh, I love elfquest! Haven't read it since I was a preteen but it was amazing. Definitely a comic that's worth a library trip.
    So I'm guessing it's a good thing, though I can't figure out which character Marlowe is talking about.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

She doesn't seem like any particular one, but she's got certain characteristics common to lots of them. If I had to choose one character I'd go with Tyleet.

For the record and for anyone interested, Elfquest is free to read online. Bare in mind its writing style is more earnest than clever, and that in my opinion it went downhill rather sharply as the franchise progressed. Just my opinion. judge for yourself.

And using the map for 2-way communciation was not something I originally intended, but it's a clever idea and should work.

Just don't expect Ingva to be able to turn up with a small army everytime you get into a jam.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-07-23 at 08:51 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought we were Ingva's small army?

And sorry, not reading 30 years worth of stuff, even with breaks. I'll take your word for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd just read the "original quest" (a mere 21 months worth of stuff) and pretend the rest never existed.

Right, Trammelburgh it is then? I have to figure out what Kresta's build actually is. My original idea required a feat that I have since discovered she's not technically eligible for.

EDIT: And it occurs to me that I've been ignoring that rule that says characters lacking BAB +1 have to use a full move action to draw a weapon. Because that rule completely screws over level 1 thrown-weapon Scouts, to the extent that it looks like they forgot it when they designed the class.

So if we continue to pretend that rule doesn't exist, then a variation on the original idea could work.

In case anyone's wondering how ten redcloaks were able to beat the caravan in the first place, the answer was Kresta chose exactly the wrong moment to sneakthieve the serpent amulet, Bethlen caught her at it, the Guards and the merchant were watching the hijinks and laughing instead of paying attention, and then the redcloak archers got some lucky criticals on the greataxe-wielder.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-07-24 at 09:19 AM.
    The Southern Comforters

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: And it occurs to me that I've been ignoring that rule that says characters lacking BAB +1 have to use a full move action to draw a weapon. Because that rule completely screws over level 1 thrown-weapon Scouts, to the extent that it looks like they forgot it when they designed the class.

So if we continue to pretend that rule doesn't exist, then a variation on the original idea could work.
    Oh my. I really should have noticed that, but it's been so long since I've played a level 1 character that actually bothered drawing weapons during a fight that it had slipped by me.

...how's about we pretend that doesn't exist?
    I have several presentations tomorrow/today and a case of strep throat. Expect delays, and wish me luck.

LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree. That rule only applies during the first level and doesn't make all that much sense, in my opinion. If you're proficient with a weapon, you should be able to draw it while moving, as that would, hopefully, be taught.

-This was me posting for the sake of it... ignore this post or read it, not really that important.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-07-24 at 10:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

@AshesofOld: If Delphi doesn't position herself somewhere in the middle of the party, Dardiana will be going next to him. Or if it's all single file, then nevermind. Since she doesn't have a preference over who else, it's randomized.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Linguz View Post
    @AshesofOld: If Delphi doesn't position herself somewhere in the middle of the party, Dardiana will be going next to him. Or if it's all single file, then nevermind. Since she doesn't have a preference over who else, it's randomized.
    Yes, next too. I just finished writing what happened, and I sent it to you. It was, er, a rather emotional and, in my biased opinion, lovely piece of writing. If anyone cares to see it, I'd be happy to PM it to you; I just don't want to post it here until I get agreement from Linguz that it sounds like something Dardiana would do. I took the admittedly controversial path by writing it from Dardiana's point of view; that's partially why it took so long.

LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

I have read it (twice) and agree with Ragged. If she wants to post it here, by all means, go ahead.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

So, yeah. Nothing that breaks forum rules, nothing especially explicit, and it's something I'm a bit proud of. I recommend getting cozy before reading it.

Spoiler
    Show

Have you ever gone camping with someone that you found attractive, but were unsure if they had any sort of feelings for you? Or, had a sleepover with the same person? I'm going to assume not, for the sake of things, but if you have it should just help set the scene.

It's been a really long day, and you're tired. You've worked hard, met new people, and hiked for a few hours; your feet hurt, and now that you're off of them the lack of pressure is bliss. You've just eaten, and while the food isn't especially good you were hungry enough to make it taste wonderful, and your full stomach is comfortable and pleasant; not enough to feel stuffed, but enough to feel strong and healthy.

The sun has just gone down over the horizon, and the evening's chill has begun to set in, a relief after the warm day. The crickets in the nearby forest creak cheerfully, but quietly, and the occasional toad from the nearby stream does little more than sleepily acknowledge the waning moon. The moon and the stars have begun to stretch out over you, and though you will be going without a tent tonight you can tell that the air will be clear and dry; nearly perfect conditions.

You've settled in a few feet from everyone else, giving you privacy while still remaining more than close enough to feel safe and to share in the vestiges of the friendships you began to form throughout the evening. Your feet are to the fire, and the low-burning scraps of scorched wood and coals hold the night's chill at bay, at least for your lower extremities. Your arms and face feel a bit cold, but it's bracing, and you settle down to sleep, laying your head on your pack; not the most comfortable of pillows, but far better than the ground or a stone.

And the a little shape walks over to you, moving slowly and quietly, but just as clearly not sneaking. You can tell after a moment that it's Delphi; you recognize the halfling more by her scent than anything else. She smells like pine needles and hay and fresh water; the smell of forest air and leaves. She lays her pack down a foot or two from yours, and with gentle, quiet movements she removes the various and sundry weapons from her belt, back, and bandolier; and a few more from her boots and decolletage that you hadn't known about.

Then she undoes her leather armor, taking it off and laying it over her pack; she's wearing little more than a cloth wrapping underneath, though she leaves her breeches on. She lays out her cloak, and you note with interest that she's put it out right next to you. She lays down, still quiet enough to pass for silent, only a handful of inches from you, her head level with yours.

She breaths out a word, so quiet that you can barely hear it. "Hey." You can't say anything back; your mind was halfway to sleep before she came, and now you struggle to think of an appropriate response. She seems to understand, however, and she moves a bit closer; without thinking about it, without really meaning to, you put your arm around her. She is warm, much warmer than a human would be, and her shoulders and back are firm with lean, tight muscle. She lets out a heavy breath with the touch, and she moves a bit closer, until only a bare inch separate your faces. Your eyes.

She has beautiful eyes, you decide; they're deep, calm, and heavily dilated in the dark. You can almost see yourself in her eyes, though the light from the dying fire isn't quiet enough to make it so. You stare for what seems like hours and seconds all at once; lost in her eyes, time seems to lose meaning and purpose. You become exquisitely aware of the heat of her body, the feeling of her breath on your neck and your lips; and you notice that you've drawn closer to her still, and she to you, staring into each other's eyes.

The day was long, you might say later. You were tired, and half asleep, barely able to separate dream from reality. You had fought, and killed, and the adrenaline from that was still coursing through your veins.

But there, in that moment, you thought of none of that. There were no excuses, no reasons. Just her eyes, and then her lips, and then you lost yourself in the heat of that kiss, the warmth of her touch and her arms. When you awoke, you were no further from her than you had been at the last; your clothes intact, and your skin unmarred by any amorous marks. All you had was the memory of that kiss, the long, beautiful kiss that took you both to sleep.

LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Sweet. I certainly wasn't expecting any of this to happen. I can't say I'm displeased even Yuri WAFF isn't something I was expecting.

Consider that idiotic weapon-drawing rule ignored. The only time it's been relevant to anyone but Delphi was that the Maroons might have been able to spread out a bit more during the fight. Which might have met one or two of them lived for another turn.

Hopefully we can all go up levels soon, and really forget about it. If I'd known a bit more when I put up the big 16, I'd have dropped the +1 BAB prereq from Quickdraw and Weapon Finesse as well.
    The Southern Comforters

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't Delphi take, and put on, those gloves of dex +2? I don't see them in her inventory 's why I'm asking.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Why are you reading through her inventory, oh wait, Dardania had a long look at her, didn't she?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Bad Players! Stop checking out each other's inventories!
    The Southern Comforters

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Bad Players! Stop checking out each other's inventories!
    It was a good thing in this case; I had added in the gloves and then accidentally failed to save my sheet properly.

But you can check out my inventory any day. Baby.

LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

You only get away with this stuff because of your nice round perky dex bonus, you know.

There was going to be a white Tiger here. Then I checked stats and realised that a Tiger is essentially a dead level 1 PC per round. Not on negatives. Dead.
    The Southern Comforters

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

You only get away with this stuff because of your nice round perky dex bonus, you know.

There was going to be a white Tiger here. Then I checked stats and realised that a Tiger is essentially a dead level 1 PC per round. Not on negatives. Dead.
    I can't help it that my characters are as sexy as I am.

Yeah, Tiger's are TPK for low level parties. I'm a bit nervous to see what you've put in its place, to be honest.

LGBTitP