Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Southern Comfort IC

Grath:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are seven black, unmoving shapes by the shores of the lake, birds clustering around them. They stand out REALLY well against the quartzite and gabbro.

And it's because Conan was actually a Factotum, and Fafyrd a Bard. They just didn't go around telling people this.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"Grath sees seven still shapes lying on the white rocks, with birds all around. Danger is very close now."
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Grath - Southern Comfort Campaign
    Prizes:
    Eglath - 2nd Place Iron Chef XXXII

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium. Adopt an Avatar today.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gregor McAlister

Gregor stops and takes his time looking at the lake, the area around the lake, the area around the area around the lake... He generally tries to guess what could have happened and how to most safely approach whoever made it happen.

Spoiler
    Show

Like if it could be an ambush at day or is it too open, or it could be a campsite and ambush at night or those corpses could have been chased there and had no route to escape, what locations have good view at the site, including locations on other sides of the site etc. Also if there are one or more ways to approach and if it is possible to approach stealthily.

Spot: 10+5 = 15, eventually 20+5 = 25
    Survival: (1d20+5)[20]
    Knowledge: Nature (1d20+1)[13]
    Knowledge: Local (1d20)[18] max 10
    Avatar of this guy made by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Something tells me there is more death to come," Horbin says as he looks at the birds overhead. "Let us advance as a group but everyone keep your eyes peeled."
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2012-06-22 at 08:29 AM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A teardrop shaped crater about a mile across. The floor largely devoid of topsoil and supporting only some scrubby plants. The rim of the crater, on all sides bar the northern breach through which flows the Whitewater and, to the south, the Razor from which you've come, is fused stone slightly elevated above the dark, surrounding forest. The Lake of the Whitewater would provide a convenient water source but it also cuts down movement options.

You wouldn't camp here, it's a perfect place for an ambush. The rim of the crater makes a perfect hiding spot for any ambush. It's a little large. They'd have some rounds of warning, but what would they do with it?

You notice that the bloodtrail is more spread out here. The mule still had the strength or the terror to run.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-06-22 at 09:15 AM.
    The Southern Comforters

"i may only truly contribute to this game because it is so damned awesom and marlow is the bomb. plus i love the chemistry we all have"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Korgoth hears the words of the orc and saddly shakes his head "Nay, I have yet to be granted that kind of power by Thor, it requires a heavy price to bring back someone from the dead. Aye we should use caution I don't like the smell of this place... perhaps we should take a look around in the surrounding area before approaching the lake?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+3)[18]
    I really appreciate what pathfinder did to the skills system.... made it so much easier to make custom characters with little quirks and hobbies.
    A big shout out to myself for the custom Thanatos Avvie... never again lol
    Is the proud owner of 7 cookies and 1.5 internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Benny Hill theme, firing terminal velocity zombies via portals, with your wife as backup.
    ... I'm pretty sure you win an internet. Maybe even two internets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

Red Wizard avvie by Kymme

7. - Top - End - #97

I'll look around see what I see, and i'll also think and see if I know anything about this lake

Spot: (1d20+1)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[11]
    Geogrpahy: (1d20+8)[27]
    Nature: (1d20+6)[12]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

((sorry for those who've already got this information))

Teardrop-shaped crater, about a mile wide, with the broad end facing north broken by the breach of the Whitewater. The rim and floor have a slagged look, with little but scrub plants growing on the meager soil. Around the rim is dark forest.

Not a place to linger in, is everyone's judgement. In fact, it looks like you're nearing an object lesson in what happens if you do.

Of course, Whitewater Rip and Ashdown are at peace, so maybe people are a little more careless than might be considered normal. Also, bypassing the area would, by the looks of things, lead to wasting several hours moving through the surrounding forest.

Marn Ortul:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wish I had something more to say. This geography looks like what you'd expect if people were throwing epic-level evocations around a couple of thousand years ago.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-06-22 at 09:58 AM.
    The Southern Comforters

9. - Top - End - #99

Gregor McAlister

Gregor decides on what he thinks is the best way to approach a place where he would camp if he were an to set an ambush and proposes to go that way. He'd like to either ambush the ambushers or see them from afar.

Like maybe walking the rim or something...
    Last edited by u-b; 2012-06-22 at 10:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Delphi moves about ten yards away from the main group, her sling out and her movements soft and quiet. She tries to think like an ambusher, imagining how she would slip through the low-lying cover and attack unsuspecting prey. She looks around the rim of the crater, attempting to spot anything moving.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on Hide and Move Silently for a 22 and a 20, respectively.

Spot: (1d20+5)[22]

She'll Search the pack later, when we have time. She has a +6 in Search, and the skills to be a trapfinder. Do we have an overlap in that department?
    I have several presentations tomorrow/today and a case of strep throat. Expect delays, and wish me luck.

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing moves except the wings of ravens.

Nothing makes a sound except for the wind, and the cries of the ravens, which are too far away to hear. Because corvid imagery is boring.

The lake abuts the crater rim very close on the west side, so the way around is to the east of the lake. Unsurprisingly, that's where the shapes are still and the birds are circling.
    The Southern Comforters

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"I doubt it now, but they may still be alive," Horbin says as he starts toward the figures.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

13. - Top - End - #103

Gregor McAlister

"Wait, Horbin. Whoever is there, they'll wait a bit more. I guess we take a bit east, moving on outer side of the rim with Dardiana and Delphi leading the way. I do not want to get to the position of ambushee before I visit the position of ambusher. Let's play it safe."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath points towards the forest and whispers quietly, "Grath can't help hurt creatures like Korgoth can anyway, but can fight ambushers who want to kill."
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

((DM posts without waiting for debate. Because DM has day off))

A grand piano falls from the sky and inexplicable splatters Korgoth over the surrounding scenery. A Gazebo appears, roaring with hunger from the forest.

Working your way around the rim takes a while, but it all seems quiet and it's good to be cautious.

The trees here are the same as south of the mountains, tall, brown, and spiky.

You work your way around the rim of the Fall until you approach the north-eastern "corner". Then, you see bloodstains and drag marks across your path. The tracks of men and mules. And a copy of "Half-Orcettes Half-Dressed" monthly. Which somebody appears to have left here.
    The Southern Comforters

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath can't read, but if there is a picture on the cover that he can see he picks it up without thinking through the situation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

It is rather graphic. The "Half-dressed" part of the title was technically accurate.
    The Southern Comforters

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone wants to examine it, either physically or magically, they are welcome to. Otherwise, Grath is very embarrassed at seeing the graphic imagery, snaps it closed, and puts it away in his pack for later review. He mutters, "I always wondered what the fuss was about. I'm starting to get an idea."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

19. - Top - End - #109

Gregor McAlister

Gregor wants to first check possible observation points that ambushers might leave on the ridge, then follow the trail. I guess Delphi will do most of stealth mode, with Gregor riding any recommended distance behind and like 20 feet to the side. He will not ride directly on the trail as long as the trail is obvious to others.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

((are you sure? Has anyone checked the actual site?))
    The Southern Comforters

21. - Top - End - #111

((Not sure. But guessing from his own experience of robbing and ambushing, Gregor thinks nothing of value should be left on the site. If anyone wants to check, Gregor will first check all probable observation spots and then let them.))

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Mind if I see whats there," Horbin questions as he gestures to the 'site'.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone is going down to the site, Dardiana goes with them. If nobody is, Dardiana sighs and says, "I'm going to check what's down there." She then proceeds to do exactly as she said.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Horbin follows.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

The "site" on the shore of the lake. And sorry for the list format.

-One mule-dead. No packsaddle

-One human female-dead. Arrow and slashing wounds. Dark skin. Looks a little like Ingva's by-blow daughter. Tattoos up both arms. No weapons, but a shortspear quiver on her back.
    -One Half-Orc male-dead. COD same as above. Blond, oddly enough. Old scar over left eye. Battleaxe in hand.
    --BOTH the above are wearing mail shirts and a bronze gorget bearing the words "REICH CAVARANIENSTAFFL"

-One older male-dead. Full beard. Richly dressed. Fingers show signs of having rings pulled from them. Dagger in hand.

-Two human males-dead, leather armour, red cloak. Shortswords near them. Shields by their sides. One has a cut splitting his head apart, plus multiple bite marks as from small animals. The other looks like he got an Eldritch blast critical to the face. After getting chewed on by small animals.

-One half-elf female-dead, leather armour, red cloak. This one's lying a bit apart from the others, like she was sniping from the rim. Leather armour and no shield. Shortbow, but quiver is empty. Shortspear stuck in the gut.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Ravens. I should just stop mentioning them. There'll be a lot.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-06-22 at 01:12 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

26. - Top - End - #116

i'll approach cautiously keeping an eye on the surrounding and begin searching the area for any missed loot or clues.

Spot: (1d20+1)[6]

Search: (1d20+4)[9]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Dardiana goes to each corpse in turn and looks them over. When she was done with that, she spoke up, "There was a battle here. Redcloaks versus the merchant and his guards, most likely. The older male would most likely be the trader." She looks around, trying to find tracks of more men having moved around this place.

Search: (1d20+3)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Dardiana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    On a general note; you notice an odd pattern to things. Some things of value have been looted and others (like the mail shirts of the guards) not.

You do find an amulet behind a rock. It takes the form of twelve snakes curving counter-clockwise outward from a central hub, which itself takes the form of a vertically-pupiled eye. The whole has the look of copper, but the iris of the eye is set with some kind of greenish stone. It is bound by a fine chain of steel links.

And everyone, even in the thin soil of the Fall, can spot the bloodstains, drag-marks, hoof-prints, and footprints leading to the north-east, past Gregor's position.
    Last edited by Marlowe; 2012-06-22 at 03:17 PM.
    The Southern Comforters

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath, who stayed above the "crater," follows the blood stains, I guess towards the woods? Away from the crater, at least. He doesn't go too far, maybe 50-100' or to the edge of the woods, whatever comes first. He is trying to move slowly and silently, but is ready to shout for help if he's attacked and still has his bow ready and nocked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - don't fail me now: (1d20-1)[6]
    listen (1d20+1)[8]
    move silent (don't complain if he rolls a nat 1, but I better not) (1d20-1)[17]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Prizes:

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Dardiana goes back to the corpses and checks the valuable items that were left behind... particularly, what the general weight of the valuable items left behind are.
    Spoiler
    Show