New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

Rex - Human Fighter

As Rex sees movement he draws his sword and points it at the figures. As the Drow steps forwards Rex stands his ground, his experience teaching him not to be surprised by anything that might happen. When the Drow finishes speaking, Rex's expression softens a little, but he does not lower his sword. "If you could lower your hands and maybe we would be able to speak of our intentions?" Throughout this exchange Rex glances periodically into the shadows to keep track of anything else that may emerge from it.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Drow glares, but slowly lowers his hands. Alright. Who are you fellows? What are you doing here?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"What are we doing in your home?" Rolan says, holding his gaze on the drow as he secretly and slowly moves his arm under his travelling cloak to put a hand on his focusing orb in case things suddenly become violent. "Sir, this town has been overrun with goblins. Surly you do not live here?" Rolan pauses for a moment before continuing. "We are attempting to warm ourselves after an unfortunate dealing with the nearby river. Surly you could grant us a moment of reprieve from the cold to warm our bones?" Rolan doesn't take an eye off the drow as his hand reaches his orb and he begins to focus his psionic powers, just in case.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #154

GreenSorcererElf

"Goblins you say? I haven't been here long, and I've never seen one." He strokes his chin in wonder. "And what's more you've crossed that river, so I guess you must be sincere about this at least." He shrugs. "Make yourselves at home then I suppose. It's not much of one, but it'll do."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon looks at Rolan, the confusion obvious on his face. But he shrugs his shoulders and turns back to the drow. He puts his hand forward to shake, "Okay, whatever, thanks for the place to dry off. I'm Eldon, by the way." He steps inside, figuring they can try to get at what's really going on here once they're inside.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-09-16 at 03:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

GreenSorcererElf

"I'm Kerem" he says as he taks the proffered hand. "Where are you all from? Where did you hear about these goblins? I only just got here."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex lowers his sword and listen as the others speak with the Drow. When there is a lull in the conversation, he says "Rex, from Hammerfast. They know more than I do about the goblins." He walks over to a corner of the room and sticks his sword into the ground and throws down his backpack. "Do you mind if we start a fire, else we'll catch our death of cold?"
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

8. - Top - End - #158

GreenSorcererElf

I suppose, you're not worried it'd attract goblins?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lo-Kag - Goliath Warden

A figure shifted in the shadowed corner of the drow's house. "It is not that that cold." A deep, rumbling voice said. Soon its source, a tall, grey-skinned man leaned closer to the light. "Fellow travelers, hm? The host here was kind enough to let me rest for a while. You speak of goblins? Do you need assistance in dealing with the little pests?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

"Maybe not that cold to you, but you didn't just swim across that river out there." A shiver runs visibly down Eldon's spine and through one of his uncontrolled psionic projections, everyone in the room is able to feel it as well. "But yeah, I'm concerned about it, but not as concerned as I am about going about the rest of our investigations here chilled and soaked to the bone. If you think it's too much of a risk, I guess I can live with it though." He frowns.

"You want to help fight goblins? I think we'd be glad for the help. Our goal isn't to kill them all, even though that would be nice. We just need to recover something that was left here when the old inhabitants of the town left."

11. - Top - End - #161

GreenSorcererElf

Oh? What is it that we're looking for?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

While Eldon explains the aims of the visit to Kiris Dahn, Rex listens nodding slightly to himself until the item is mentioned. He goes to ask about the past inhabitants treasure before quickly catching himself and getting back to searching for his flint and steel.

Rex smiles at Kerem's enthusiasm for the task ahead but carefully waits for Eldon to start speaking to cut off his reply, having seen too many agreements between men collapse due to questions that that shouldn't have been asked, "A fire it is then? Cover the windows with cloths and whatever you can find." He draws the flint and steel from the bag and looks about to try to find some kindling to start the fire.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

13. - Top - End - #163

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan nods at Rex's direction and removes his traveling cloak. He hadn't realized how much colder his cloak had actually been making him as it was still rather wet. Rolan manages to hang his cloak over one of the windows. He then moves to help Rex start a fire if he needs it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay on my part. The past week has been brutally busy for me. Also, with my last post, sorry if there was any confusion. I think I didn't realize that more posts had occurred on another page. I must've only read through page 5, then posted.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

14. - Top - End - #164

Rex moves about the farmhouse collecting loose floorboards and chunks of wood with signs of dry rot. Rolan goes about looking for anything that can be of use in covering up the windows. As he searches through smashed up cupboards and dismantled cabinets it becomes quite clear that anything of use has either been taken or destroyed by the goblin inhabitants. The search isn't entirely fruitless as Rolan finds a couple of large dish towels in the remains of the kitchen.

Rex drops the kindling into the fireplace in the living room and starts working to get a flame going. It takes several attempts but the warrior is finally able to produce a spark from the piece of steel. Within moments the tinder catches flame and a roaring fire warms those within.

OOC: Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    For every hour the fire is lit the goblins get to take a perception check to notice what is going on.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon sits near the fire, warming and drying himself. He watches the flames with a suspicious eye, but seems to be enjoying the warmth.

Once the fire has been made, Eldon's generally trusting nature takes over his tongue, even despite Rex's seeming displeasure with such questions. "Well, we've been told the original inhabitants left an item here, a magic stone, that could be dangerous if left in the hands of the goblins. We've been asked to come here, find the stone, and take it to be destroyed."

16. - Top - End - #166

GreenSorcererElf

"Okay, would you know where in town it would be at? Why destroy it rather than keep it?"

17. - Top - End - #167

Sitting around the hearth, the party converses with the new additions while warming themselves from their swim across the frigid river. It's quiet save for the roaring of the fire and the piercing squawks of kobolds that seem to be emanating from the slums of the settlement.

For the moment the town's inhabitants seem to be completely oblivious to the smoke that is billowing out of the farmhouse. Though it's only a matter of time before they finally catch on and move to investigate.

While the group plots its next course of action you all notice the fire beginning to die down and wonder whether to look for more kindling.

OOC: Eldon, Rolan, Rex
    Spoiler
    Show
    You and your garments are now completely dry and you will be able to move in the brisk weather with no ill effects, except maybe coming down with a cold.

Spoiler
    Show
    The fire is close to burnt out so you have to decide if you wish to look around for more firewood. (A DC 15 Perception check will be needed to locate more within the house.) Of course restarting the fire will also give the inhabitants of Kiris Dahn another chance to spot you.

You must also decide whether you wish to begin the search for the slaying stone now or in the morning.

Moving during the day will allow you to travel between locations faster and spot enemies easier. However you will receive a -1 penalty to avoid goblin patrols.

Moving at night will be more perilous as enemy patrols will be tougher to spot and traveling will take longer. Though you will get a +1 bonus to avoiding goblin patrols.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

"We had a few places in mind to look. You're welcome to come along if you like," he says with a friendly smile. "For now though, I recommend we get some sleep. I know my eyes aren't very good in the dark, so I'd rather make our way there in the daylight. If we ran into a patrol at night, we'd probably have to light up a torch to fight them effectively. That would probably just draw more of them down on us. Let's get some sleep now. We can let the fire finish dying out and take off at daybreak."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex relaxes when Eldon speaks freely about the stone, though he makes a mental note of the stone and their plans. "Yes, we should wait till morning, even if the patrols do see us we should be able to protect ourselves from some petty goblins." He looks at Eldon and Rolan and says "Do you have anywhere you want to visit first or should we just move through the town?"

Soundcloud
    Youtube

20. - Top - End - #170

GreenSorcererElf

"I'm willing to go wherever you want to." Kerem says with a shrug. "When do you want to go? If we go at night I can navigate with ease do to my innate darkvision."
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2012-09-23 at 05:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

As the embers of the fire start to die out the group chooses to begin their search in the morning. A rotating watch is established, with Kerem acting as a second set of eyes and ears due to his trance allowing him to still be cognizant of his surroundings even while he is resting. Eldon agrees to take the first shift, Lo-Kag would be his relief, then Rex would be on guard duty, and Rolan would given take the final vigil.

At first light the adventurers rise, have a quick breakfast, and wrap up warm since the weather is distinctly colder than yesterday. Departing from the farmhouse it is immediately noticed that the sun is failing to break through the thick cloud cover.

Spoiler
    Show
    So where would like to begin looking? Here's the map if you need a refresher.

OOC: Rex
    Spoiler
    Show
    During your watch you stepped outside to answer nature's call when you spotted a torch-lit procession marching down the main road to the gate. Once the procession crosses into the slums all sounds from the kobolds quickly cease. You return to the farmhouse quite confused and somewhat concerned.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-09-25 at 08:50 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

22. - Top - End - #172

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Having taken last watch, Rolan was already somewhat warmer than the others has he had moved about during watch to stave off the cool air. Rolan notes that the sun has yet to break through the clouds and hopes that rain isn't imminent. I just got dry...

As Rolan steps outside of the farmhouse he pulls out the map of Kiris Dahn and inspects it again. "Alright, we're here," Rolan says to no one in particular as he places a finger on the marking of the farm house on the map. "I still think we should investigate the estate first. I think if we track a little back to the river and follow it east into the forest, we can use the forest for cover to hopefully avoid any unnecessary trouble and get close to the estate. What do you think?" Rolan asks of the group.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm totally open to other ideas for plans of action; I'm just throwing out mine.

As I recall no one in particular claimed Treona's map of KD, but Hircine mentioned that she handed it to one of us. Since I doubt anyone will object I'm claiming possession of the map. If I missed someone having it, then just assume Rolan asked to look at the map instead.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Waking again after a short second sleep, Rex listens attentively as Rolan explains his plans, nodding agreeably. "I saw a patrol enter the slams last night along the main road. If they've moved out of the north we should be able to move easily through the town and end up in the slums, if we need to."

Soundcloud
    Youtube

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

"We've got a lot of places to check, but I still think the estate is the most likely. And we should definitely use the forest for cover. You've got the best plan I can see, Rolan. Is everybody ready to go?" He asks, hefting his polearm over his shoulder.

25. - Top - End - #175

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem- Drow Sorcerer

Ready, let's do this.

26. - Top - End - #176

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan rolls up the map and stuffs it back into his pack. "A patrol... I don't like the sound of that, Rex. However if they moved towards the slums at least that's away from the estate. And if the roads are patrolled then it's all the more that we should stick to the forest when we travel. We'll have to keep a sharp eye out though when we get close to the estate." Rolan closes up his pack and places a hand on his orb as he does every morning, just to make sure it's still there. "I'm ready," Rolan says to Eldon.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lo-Kag - Goliath Warden

"Right now, this estate sounds as good as anything else." Lo-Kag rumbled, packing up his few belongings. "I believe I could lead us all through the forest quietly. I am no stranger to wilderness."

28. - Top - End - #178

Lizardfolk

"Well then, my new giant friend, why don't you take the lead and we'll make for the estate." Rolan turns to Eldon and says "I'll try to probe with my mind about our path as we move, but I could use your help. Hopefully one of us can sense any potential trouble before any of us can even see it."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex nods and opens the door to the cool morning air pushing the door open wide and stepping out of the way, taking a deep breath as he does so. Kicking the dew from a nearby patch of grass, he looks over the general area to see if anything catches his eye.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception Check: (1d20-1)[4]

Soundcloud
    Youtube

30. - Top - End - #180

With a course of action determined, the group heads out in search of the last slaying stone of Kiris Dahn. Traveling north the party passes by another abandoned farmstead that has been vandalized by the goblin horde.

Upon reaching the treeline, Lo-Kag moves to the front, and expertly leads his new acquaintances through the tangled thicket of trees. As you reach the edge of forest Lo-Kag raises a hand halting the procession.

A band of goblins is shepherding a pack of trained wolves south along the paved path. Once the danger passes the group hurries across the road and into cover amongst a dense area of woodland. Navigating through the underbrush, you all edge as close to the Kiris Estate as you possibly can while still remaining concealed.

Just one glance at the once majestic marble and stone mansion reveals that the goblins have done nothing to maintain the structure. It now bears a myriad of cracks, gouges, and obscene decorations. The most reviling feature is the giant symbol of Bane which stretches across the entire front of the building.

Standing in front of the entrance to the estate are at least two dozen young goblin warriors, going through drills. Their leader, a grizzled looking hobgoblin, barks orders. When one of the creatures collapses from exhaustion the drill instructor rounds on him.

"Get off the ground you worthless maggot! Hu-Jat's army will tolerate no weaklings!"

The goblin struggles to get back to his feet, resulting in a swift kick from the sergeant.

"I said on your feet now, you louse! You’re an embarrassment to the defenders of Gorizbadd! If you wish to continue lying about, perhaps some quality time with Boontah will get you in gear?", the hobgoblin asks with a menacing grin.

"N-N..No-No send to Boontah!", the goblin begs while scampering back to its feet and rejoining the drill.

A toothy smirk crosses the hobgoblin's face as he returns to pacing the courtyard, his eyes focused on each of the young warriors, watching for even the slightest imperfection in their technique.

OOC: Rex
    Spoiler
    Show
    You spot nothing out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show
    While moving about the township you must try to keep word of your intrusion from spreading. Should you let enemies escape or accrue failures in certain skill checks, will cause the threat level to rise and affect the behavior of your enemies.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.