New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

Treona furrows her brow at the gnome's request. "I'm not exactly sure what you hope to find, but I don't see why not.", she says while rising from her chair.

The woman slowly ascends the tower's stone staircase, rapidly disappearing from sight with each step. Twenty minutes pass before her footsteps can be heard descending the stairway. Reentering the sitting room Treona is seen gingerly carrying two worn pieces of parchment. She sets one of the documents on the table and hands the other over to Wrenndel.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Ah, thank you Madam." Wrenndel immediately begins to examine them. His first act is to look in the magical spectrum to be sure that the papers are just paper.

Arcana: (1d20)[9]+11 = 20

If he finds nothing he will read the contents of the papers. He will note what the condition of the actual document is, as well as anything that looks or feels odd to him. He also calls Eldon over to look with him.

Perception: (1d20)[6]+1 = 7
    Insight: (1d20)[16]+1 = 17

"Eldon my friend, your eyes are better then mine. What do you make of these marvelously old documents?"
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-07-11 at 12:25 PM.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

3. - Top - End - #93

Matilda's hand shoot into the air, holding there for roughly a second before its owner apparently lost patience and simply blurted her question out.

"Um, question. I kinda missed it, but why do you want to destroy these things? Turathi weapons are... kinda rare, you know? How many chances do you get to grab stuff like that? Is there even anything wrong with them?" Matilda holds a finger up, as if citing from a textbook. "Law of Magical Ethics #23: 'I will never waste valuable raw materials, especially ones that are kickin' awesome at murderifying my enemies with stabby goodness.' I'm pretty sure that's how that goes."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon, who had been busying himself by stacking up everyone's empty bowls and tea cups to make himself useful, shrugged his shoulders. "Uh... Sure I guess I can take a look." He sets the last few bowls down and moves over to lean over Wrenndel's shoulder. "Though Rolen is usually much better at this sort of thing than I am." He gestures for Rolen to come join them over the paper.

He carefully examines the papers, not certain exactly what he's looking for, but looking nonetheless.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20)[1]

When Matilda spoke up, Eldon turned to face her. "If the goblins figure out what their used for, they could use them against us, or anybody who goes into Kiris Dahn. If they figure out that they can be used outside of there through sacrifice, they'll probably do that too. Killing someone good, to power an attack on ANYBODY, that would just be too tempting for them. We need to get it away from them. And once it's away, why not destroy it? It's not like we'll make the sacrifice needed to power it."

5. - Top - End - #95

Lizardfolk

Rolan

As Rolan moves to join Eldon at the parchment he says, "I agree, Eldon. That seems like quite a dangerous prize to let sit in villainous hands. I recommend that we at the very least acquire the artifact, if not destroy it." Joining Eldon in front of the parchment, Rolan inspects the document.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[21]
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #96

Treona's arms cross and uncross several times and she chews on her lip worriedly. "You bring up a good point, young man. The simple creatures that inhabit Kiris Dahn have little chance of uncovering the slaying stone, and even if they did manage stumble across it I doubt they'd even know how to use it." She sighs, "Shortly after I moved in here a young refugee from Kiris Dahn arrived on my doorstep, she told me how she lost her entire family to the goblins and needed a place to stay. Having been able to safely escape Kiris Dahn with my family, I felt obligated to take her in, and help get her life back on track. I made her my apprentice, showered her with love and affection, and showed her kindness and understanding. To no avail, the girl was already consumed by bitterness and hatred. She spent all her time in the library studying anything I had on the slaying stones. A few months ago she left the tower with nearly all of my books related to the slaying stones. I’m certain she knows about the final stone’s existence and will do anything to acquire it. Knowing the stone’s power she won’t come after it herself but will probably send hired muscle to do her dirty work. I fear that if she were able to acquire the final stone she would be able to create more slaying stones. It’s imperative that you recover the stone and bring it back here to be destroyed."

Wrenndel:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wrenndel's arcane appraisal uncovers hidden writing in a foreign script on the reverse side of the document, at the bottom of the parchment rests a seal in the shape of a tiefling's head.

Further inspection of the paper reveals that it's frayed along the edges and bears several scorch marks in the right hand corner. The words are faded and nearly illegible while the parchment is worn and quite brittle.

Document:

Once the requisite funds are received from the Kiris family, the Architects of Victory agree to create a set of nine magical weapons to be used in the protection of Kiris Dahn. Limiters will be placed on the items to ensure they can’t be used against the tielfing’s organization.

Any attempts to break or alter the agreement will result in a breach of contract and the forfeiture of the offending party’s soul.

Signed,

Kiris Krynt Akamenos Szereban

Eldon:
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a rather old looking piece of paper.

Document:

Once the requisite funds are received from the Kiris family, the Architects of Victory agree to create a set of nine magical weapons to be used in the protection of Kiris Dahn. Limiters will be placed on the items to ensure they can’t be used against the tielfing’s organization.

Any attempts to break or alter the agreement will result in a breach of contract and the forfeiture of the offending party’s soul.

Signed,

Rolan:

Spoiler
    Show

Inspection of the paper reveals that it's frayed along the edges and bears several scorch marks in the right hand corner. The words are faded and nearly illegible while the parchment is worn and quite brittle.

Document:

Signed,

Last edited by Hircine; 2012-07-13 at 05:22 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

7. - Top - End - #97

PirateCaptain

"Ah ha! I knew it." Wrenndel gingerly flips the document over and points to a strange language now highlighted on the back. "Something is hidden there. I have just the trick."

The little gnome fishes a small leather bag out of his pack and pulls out about a tablespoon of sparkly silverish powder. He speaks some arcane sounding words and the powder poofs into smoke. The smoke streams into Wrenndel's eyes, giving them a silver glow.

"Now, lets see what we have here." and he begins to read the inscription.

Cast Comprehend Language
    Spoiler
    Show
    Component Cost: 10 gp
    Market Price: 50 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana
    Level: 1
    Category: Exploration
    Time: 10 minutes
    Duration: 24 hours

When beginning the ritual, choose a language you have heard or a piece of writing you have seen within the past 24 hours.

Using this ritual on a language you have heard allows you to understand it when spoken for the next 24 hours and, if your Arcana check result is 35 or higher, to speak the language fluently for the duration.

Using this ritual on a language you have seen as a piece of writing allows you to read the language for the next 24 hours and, if your Arcana check result is 35 or higher, to write the language in its native script or in any other script you know for the duration.

Using this ritual on a language you have both heard and seen as a piece of writing within the past 24 hours allows you to understand it in both forms for the next 24 hours, and an Arcana check result of 35 or higher allows you to speak and write the language.

Arcana Check: (1d20)[17]+11 = 28
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-07-14 at 12:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Wrenndel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The words on the parchment suddenly make sense to you, it is written in Supernal, the language of angels and devils.

It Reads:
    The signer of this contract agrees to provide the Architects of Victory with fifty humans to be used in various experimental procedures. In addition the signatory will relinquish custody of their firstborn child and provide a monthly stipend of ten-thousand gold pieces a month.

Any attempts to break or alter the agreement will result in a breach of contract and the forfeiture of the offending party’s soul. Also if the signer tries to make further contact with the Architects of Victory or stop the agreed upon payments, then that will result in the forfeiture of the souls of the offending sides entire family.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-07-15 at 02:37 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

9. - Top - End - #99

Lizardfolk

Rolan inspects the document thoroughly. It seems to be genuine. Nine slaying stones... "We really must find this last stone." Rolan watches as Wrenndel works some magic over the parchment. "Are you able to make anything of it?" he asks.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

10. - Top - End - #100

PirateCaptain

The little Gnomes eyes go wide in excitement as the script becomes clear. "This is no ordinary contract. It seems it was, quite literally, a deal with a Devil."

Wrenndel writes out the translation in common script for the others to read.

The signer of this contract agrees to provide the Architects of Victory with fifty humans to be used in various experimental procedures. In addition the signatory will relinquish custody of their firstborn child and provide a monthly stipend of ten-thousand gold pieces a month.

Any attempts to break or alter the agreement will result in a breach of contract and the forfeiture of the offending party’s soul. Also if the signer tries to make further contact with the Architects of Victory or stop the agreed upon payments, then that will result in the forfeiture of the souls of the offending sides entire family.

"These Architects of Victory were into some quite unsavory business it seems. These Slaying Stones may be powerful but were they worth the cost of fifty lives and the souls of the signers?"

11. - Top - End - #101

Lizardfolk

"My god!" Rolan says rather loudly without realizing his volume. "I think 'unsavory business' may be an understatement, Wrenndel. Alkirk, may I ask what caused the downfall of Kiris Dahn?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

When Eldon reads what Wrenndel has written his eyes widen and his face pales. He looks up at Alkirk, and then quickly down at his feet, unable to meet the man's eyes for long. "How could...?" he forces through hoarse throat before his mouth completely dries and he is unable to finish the question.

13. - Top - End - #103

Alkirk becomes visually ill as Wrenndel reads over the hidden contract. "There is no way my great grandfather would have signed such an evil pact, it must be a forgery!", he roars.

Treona lowers her head in shame. "I'm truly sorry you had to find out this way, Alkirk."

"You knew?"

"I discovered the concealed message shortly after I found the document."

"Why did you hide it?"

"What good would’ve come from me telling you about the horrible deal your ancestor unwittingly signed? You can’t change the past and I didn’t want you beating yourself up over this."

The noble rises awkwardly from his seat, a hand firmly affixed to his forehead. "I’m sorry, but I need to be alone right now." With that Alkirk leaves the room and heads upstairs.

"I wish that revelation could have been kept from him. I now hope you all realize why I want to ensure that the final slaying stone doesn’t end up in my former apprentice’s hands." Her gaze then falls upon Rolan. "Eight years ago Kiris Dahn was beset by a massive horde of goblinoid, the suddenness of the attack caught the entire community off guard. No one knew about the existence of another slaying stone so the town was virtually defenseless. What few defenders could be mustered in the settlement’s defense were rapidly overrun. Once the barricades fell even the most adamant of citizens was forced to admit the township was lost. The few residents who hadn’t already evacuated were finally forced to abandon Kiris Dahn to the throng of invaders."
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

14. - Top - End - #104

PirateCaptain

"Madam...Alkirk had a right to know, and so did we. If all we knew was the contract on the front, then i suspect we would be caught woefully unprepared in Kiris Dahn. The nature of this contract heavily implies a deal with a very powerful entity, and I would suspect that some sort of presence of this entity still exists in the town."

Wrenndel gently holds her hand with two of his (if she allows).
    "Madam, is there anything else you are not telling us of Kiris Dahn? If we are to go there, we must be fully aware of what we are up against." He stares softly into her eyes.

15. - Top - End - #105

"That's all I know.", she says rather frankly. "And your worries about the Architects of Victory are unfounded, their organization has been gone for some time now."

Insight DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's telling the truth.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

16. - Top - End - #106

PirateCaptain

"Thank you madam"

Wrenndel bow hi head slightly and withdraws. "I believe it is time to get some sleep. Madam Treona, may we sleep in you common room tonight?"

17. - Top - End - #107

Treona wearily rises from her chair, and collects the stacked up dishes while giving a weak smile to Eldon. She then briefly disappears into the kitchen to set down the dirty dishes. In a few moments she shuffles back in. “Of course you can sleep down here, I’m sure you poor dears have had quite a trying day and could use the rest. Before you decide to head out tomorrow I’d like to discuss a few more things with you.”

With that she makes her way upstairs to turn in for the evening.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to discuss what’s transpired as I'm sure you have some things to talk about now that Treona is out of earshot. Just let me know when you’re ready to advance.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

18. - Top - End - #108

The crackling of the fire helps you all drift off to sleep. You rest well and wake up the next day around mid-morning. Treona makes her way downstairs with Alkirk in tow sometime later. The noble stands across the room with his arms folded, while Treona sits down where she had been seated the previous evening.

"I hope that you were able to get a good night's sleep. I believe that I have some information that will prove valuable in your search for the slaying stone.", she says while getting up to unfurl the piece of parchment that was left on the table yesterday evening.

"This is a map of Kiris Dahn, as you can plainly see. I am unsure exactly where the slaying stone might be found, but after conferring with Alkirk, we believe you should focus your search on the slums, the library, one of the temples, or the Kiris estate. Though the stone could be anywhere within the town. you must be extremely cautious should you head into the northern section of town, the largest concentration of goblins live there. I also have something that should aid in your search."

She produces three identical ritual scrolls and a small bag of alchemical reagents. "This ritual is attuned to the slaying stone, and will show a ghostly image of the item if it's nearby. It's best to use the ritual at the center of an area in order to get an accurate reading."

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon moves over to the table to look over the map. He concentrates deeply while rubbing his thumb on his chin. "I think the areas that would be best to try first would be the slums or the estate. The slums are on the south side of town, less goblins there. The estate seems like a more likely place to leave the stone though. And if you look here." He taps the map near the estate, "There's some woods that come pretty close to the estate. We might be able to use those to sneak up on it."

Eldon looks down at his heavy armor. "Well, maybe not. I've never been too sneaky," he frowns. "Still that seems like a good bet for where the stone would be. Maybe just approach from the south and work our way deeper into the goblin territory as we go? I don't know." He shrugs feeling a little useless at all this complicated planning.

20. - Top - End - #110

Alkirk who had been silent up to this point scoffs. "My families home was probably the first place those marauders sacked, and if the stone was there those moronic goblins would already have it in their possession.", the nobleman then crosses his arms and turns from the adventurers.

Treona frowns, giving Alkirk an unpleasant look. "I'm sorry about his rude behavior, I'm sure he's still just upset about last night. You bring up a good point young man, traveling through the eastern farms and then cutting through the thicket will put you relatively close to the Kiris Estate."

"Now I know it hasn't been brought up but I'd like to discuss your reward. I am willing to enchant a pair of items for your group though you'll have to decide who will be receiving a magic item. Alkirk has also agreed to pay each of you two-hundred drakes each for this service. Are these terms agreeable?"
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

21. - Top - End - #111

PirateCaptain

Previous to Treona's offer...

The little gnome puts on a disarming smile. "Your plan is a good as any Eldon. We can't make a better one from this far off." Wrenndel hefts his little pack and prepares to be on their way when Treona speaks up again.

"Quite agreeable ma'am. We would of done this just for the adventure but we won't say no to a reward."

22. - Top - End - #112

Lizardfolk

Rolan

To Treona, Rolan says "As Wrenndel said, I too would've lended aid without reward, but extra coin can always be of use to travelling forces such as ours."

To his companions, Rolan says "I think Eldon has a good thought. If the north is more heavily populated, then a southern approach sounds best. The estate does seem to be as good a place as any to start, despite Alkirk's ill thoughts. I think trying to conceal our approach as much as possible would be the wisest course of action."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice map, Hircine! Did you draw that?

23. - Top - End - #113

As you leave Treona's tower she hands one of you the map of Kiris Dahn, the bag of alchemical reagents, and the ritual scrolls.

Arthur stops once you leave the tower. "While I believe the cause we have joined is just, I will be unable to continue with you. The death of sir Arlington still weighs heavily on me and I fear I will be a burden going forward. I will be returning to the temple of Bahamut in Fallcrest to reflect. I am sorry!", he says quite sadly. With a final wave he is gone, heading back up the road that brought you to Treona's residence.

Stepping outside it is warm with a gentle breeze blowing, the sun is perched high in the sky and a small cluster of clouds lazily float across the sky. The ground is still quite muddy from yesterday's storm which hinders your progress in the early going.

By midday you've managed to make considerable distance to Kiris Dahn when you notice a man standing on the side of the road. He has a short beard and long messy hair, his armor is well worn and the large blade on his back appears to be quite dull.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about pushing things forward but things didn't seem to be moving. Whoever takes the 75 gp of alchemical reagents and the 3 ritual scrolls will need to add them to their sheet.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex sits lazily by the road side occasionally looking up to check for passing travellers. Suddenly he hears approaching footsteps from the North and he slowly drags himself to his feet and steps out into the road. He looks the four travellers up and down before saying confidently, "Good day!" Ha pauses looking at them again. "And where might you be headed on a fine day such as today?" He smiles politely at the group and takes a step back.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon smiles and waves, "Good day to you as well. We're on our way to Kiris Dahn up ahead. Lots of goblins there, we're told. What about you? Why are you on the road?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex's eyes light up at the sound of goblins. "Kiris Dahn you say?" He thinks for a few moments trying very hard to control his excitement, "Strange, I'm heading the same way; do you mind if I travel with you?"
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

27. - Top - End - #117

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel claps his hands in glee at a new member. "Wonderful! Welcome Sir. What might be your illustrious name?" The little gnome make flourish of a bow.

28. - Top - End - #118

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan hangs back as the others greet the stranger on the road. Strange that we should meet another on the road the Kiris Dahn so close to danger. And travelling alone... this man is either quite dangerous or brave to a foolish fault. I hope for our sake it's the latter. After deciding that as a group they are safe enough from one man, Rolan closes his eyes for a moment, then quickly snaps them open as he creates a mental link with Eldon. [Eldon, now would be a good time to practice honing your psionic skills. While the others engage him in conversation, try to read his motives.]

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolan uses Send Thoughts to mentally talk to Eldon.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

"People call me Rex," He then extends a hand to each of them in turn, shaking theirs firmly, making a special effort to assert himself to Rolan who seems less forward than the rest. He quickly steps off to the side of the road and picks up his travelling pack before standing beside them again and gesturing forwards "Shall we?"

Soundcloud
    Youtube

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon catches Rolan's eye for a moment and gives a quick nod in response.

"Wait a second. Like I said, there's lot of goblins there and probably not much else. Why would you be so interested in going there? Nothing but danger ahead." As he waits for an answer, Eldon's face contorts into an almost comical expression of deep concentration.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not usually a fan of using social skills on other characters, but I don't know of any other way to really do what Rolan has asked. So I guess here's a roll, and I'll leave it up to you to reveal anything you want to (or nothing!) about Rex's motives.

Insight - (1d20)[19]