New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex stops to think for a moment, though feels as though lying would be pointless with these people and sighs. "I'm a sell-sword, well was, but the 'sell' part limited the possibilities of my jobs. The world waits for no-one so I decided to drop the 'sell'." He looks over the group, now a little anxious , "I'm just looking for something to fill my time, why else would I offer to travel with you?"
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel

"Alright fellas. We can argue about it on the road." The gnome leads them off, piping a merry tune on his flute.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Hm, Rolan thinks to himself, We'll just have to see how this 'sword' conducts himself. Lord knows I question every new face I come across. I suppose if can feel comfortable enough to sleep near a murderous young woman like Matilda that this Rex fellow surely has a chance. Rolan's face drops the scowl that it usually wears while he's deep in thought and give Rex a friendly nod. Rolan continues to move after Wrenndel. "Agreed, my friend. Let's keep on."
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2012-08-06 at 11:49 AM.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon shrugs his shoulders, the look of concentration dissolving. "Oh, okay then... I guess." He begins walking just a few steps behind the others. "By the way I'm Eldon and this is..." He goes around the group introducing each person in turn.

5. - Top - End - #125

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan moves to walk beside Eldon and in a low whispered voice says, "That was a fine start. I don't think he knew that you attempted to probe his mind, but he felt the need to share what you were after out loud. It'll takes practice to truly hone the skill, but you show some excellent natural abilities. I suppose we'll have to find you some other targets to practice on. I suppose we wouldn't want to offend this fellow, Rex, if we're going to travel with him further."
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2012-08-06 at 12:03 PM.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

6. - Top - End - #126

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel grabs the man's large hand with both his small ones and pumps it up and down enthusiastically. "Pleased ta meet you Rex. My names Wrenndel Ringle, perhaps you've heard of me?" He waggles the pointy eyebrows.

"Don't mind my companions here. There a suspicious lot, glass half empty type fellows."

7. - Top - End - #127

By the the time you finally reach the outskirts of the fallen settlement the sun is beginning to set. The trek to Kiris Dahn was rather uneventful and you find it quite suspicious that the goblins don't keep any eyes on on the road.

A bit of scouting reveals that the only direct path into the town is across the only intact bridge on the southern end of the city, which is heavily defended by an indiscernible number of goblins. The only other options seem to be crossing the river and entering the slums or navigating the wall of trees and swimming across the river to one of the abandoned farms.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once you decide how you'll proceed I'll present the skill challenge.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-08-07 at 03:39 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

8. - Top - End - #128

After some spirited debate between the adventurers it's decided that they will circle around to the eastern outskirts of town, navigate the forest, and cross the river to one of the abandoned farmsteads.

Carefully the party skirts along the outskirts of the settlement until they are surrounded by a veil of trees, which obscures their path and makes it difficult for the group to get its bearings.

Skill Challenge:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You need to get 4 successes before 3 failures. You must use your skills in a way that it would help you advance, so please give a brief description in how you wish to use it. There will still be eyes in the forest, so trying to avoid those is an option. As you chose to go through the forest, whenever a character makes a skill check, a separate character must simultaneously attempt a DC 12 nature check to make sure you don't lose your way. A DC 10 perception check may be used to grant a +2 bonus to the next check a character makes. Once you gain 3 successes each party member must pass a DC 10 athletics check to cross the river.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-08-11 at 07:38 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Before the party makes its approach, Eldon tells everyone to wait a moment. "I'll climb up this tree to get a better look at the area ahead. If I can see out well enough I can probably find a good path for us to approach from."

Eldon drops his pack and halberd at the foot of a tall tree. He rubs his hands together as he examines the trunk for good places to grip, and then begins to climb.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like this is a good enough reason to allow an athletics check.

Athletics - (1d20+8)[16]

10. - Top - End - #130

Eldon is able to locate several handholds which allow him to scale the massive oak tree with relative ease. After testing his weight on one of the thicker branches he carefully shimmy's out to survey his surroundings. With his superior vantage point he is able to make out a path deeper into the woods.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is 1 success but I'll need another player to take a DC 12 Nature Check to see if you get lost.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

11. - Top - End - #131

PirateCaptain

Hearing an approaching Goblin patrol, Wrenndel uses his gnome heritage and the magic born into him. He creates a rustling sound to the south to draw the patrol away.

Bluff: (1d20+9)[18](27)

12. - Top - End - #132

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan reaches out and touches Eldon's mind ever so briefly. In that moment Rolan's mind takes on a flash of visions of Eldon's view of the forest ahead. As Eldon descends from the tree Rolan points at the path ahead and moves to lead the others onward.

As Rolan moves through the forest he probes out with his mind in an attempt to detect any wild animals. While difficult, High Inquisitors have been known to extract and comprehend thoughts and memories from animals. Rolan attemps to use his mind to glean information about the forest ahead.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC12 Nature Check to avoid getting lost: (1d20)[16]

For the check to glean information from the minds of forest creatures, I'm not sure if Insight or Perception would be more appropriate. I'll just roll a d20 and let you decide, Hircine, which modifier to apply as appropriate.
    Check: (1d20)[13] +5 if Perception or +7 if Insight

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex moves forwards to the front of the group and whispers smoothly to Rolan so as not to break his concentration, "I have travelled these forests a good few times. Sadly that was years ago now, but I can try to help you with the navigation if you need."

Spoiler
    Show

Nature check: (1d20)[5]

Rex raises his head and looks around for a few minutes as they travel, then reservedly says "Ummm... Unfortunately these forests have changes a lot since I was last here, I am sorry but all of this seems new to me." and slowly moves back to the rear of the group.
    Last edited by Locklear; 2012-08-10 at 03:16 PM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Following the group through the forest, Eldon isn't completely sure the group is headed in the right direction. He tries to use what he'd seen from above and match it to the terrain of the forest floor. It proves more difficult than he'd imagined, with no real education in the ways of the woods, but he does his best to point out the way from what he saw above.

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'll go ahead and try the nature check to go with someone else's roll. Nature - (1d20)[3]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

As they reach the river, Rex, still embarrassed and angry about his mistakes earlier, silently volunteers himself to cross first. He removes his backpack, raises it above his head and wades out into the river.

Spoiler
    Show

Athletics check: (1d20+10)[18] I wonder if I'll pass...
    Last edited by Locklear; 2012-08-13 at 03:09 PM.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon takes a few steps into the water, until he is about knee deep then turns back to the others. He moves slowly and carefully, still wary of the need for quiet. He turns to the others and whispers just loudly enough for those still on the shore to hear, "Last one to the other side is a smelly orc." Then he continues into the water, and begins to swim quickly (but still quietly) across.

Spoiler
    Show

Athletics - (1d20+8)[9]

17. - Top - End - #137

Rolan, having received a mental snapshot of the surrounding terrain from Eldon, is effortlessly able to lead his compatriots deeper into the woods. When a goblin patrol is spotted marching through a nearby clearing, Wrenndel lures them away using prestidigitation to create the illusion of rustling in a nearby brush. Rex does his best to lead the party past the distracted goblins, but only succeeds in getting everyone lost deeper in the woods. Rolan in an attempt to salvage the situation reaches out, touching the minds of several of the forest's denizens, which reveals that their watering hole is to the north. Eldon tries to use what he picked up in the treetops; however from the ground everything is foreign to him. It takes over an hour to for the group to emerge from the veil of trees and step out to the river’s edge. The sun has set and the moon has taken its place, illuminating the night sky and basking the river in a pale glow.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    dariathalon you failed the check but someone else can attempt to aid you with a second DC 10 athletics check.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-08-13 at 10:01 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

18. - Top - End - #138

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

As Rolan began to wade into the river he immediately regretted not acquiring a newer pair of boots. The ones he wore he had for many, many years and the soles had worn quite smooth. Rolan cautiously stepped on the water-smoothed stones at the bottom of the river and winced every time his feet slid an extra few inches one way or another, expecting this to be the time that he looses his balance and is swept away downstream.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check to cross river: (1d20-1)[13]

I totally want to help you, dariathalon, but with a -1 Athletics check perhaps I shouldn't.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex turns and looks back to see if people are following him into the river and sees Eldon losing his footing and quickly turns and jumps back to attempt to grab his arm and prevent him from being swept away.

Spoiler
    Show

Athletics Check: (1d20+10)[12]

Soundcloud
    Youtube

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon

Eldon sputters, spitting out a large mouthful of water. "Thanks, Rex. I guess I shouldn't have taken it so fast." Once on the other side of the river, he tosses his wet hair out of his face and spends a moment drying off.

21. - Top - End - #141

Matilda is able to cross the river quite easily while Wrenndel struggles to keep his head above water. He clearly needs help to keep from being swept downstream.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll need someone to take a DC 10 aid another athletics check to help Wrenndel.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Dragging Eldon in front of him Rex lunges back again, a little frustrated now, and grabs Wrenndel by the collar of his top and drags him out of trouble and Holds him with his neck above the water and strides quickly through the water and places the gnome down on the dry land.

Spoiler
    Show

Athletics Check: (1d20+10)[28]

Soundcloud
    Youtube

23. - Top - End - #143

Once Rex pulls the gnome from the river's current the group is able to breath easier. You are all cold from the swim and the temperature is dropping. Led by a teeth chattering Rex you all carefully make your way to an abandoned farmstead.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You each gain 100xp for passing the skill challenge.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon points a shivering finger at the nearest abandoned farmhouse. "We could take cover in there for a few minutes to warm up and dry out. I bet there's some warm old blankets in there," he says with a dreamy look in his eye.

He glances off toward the main estate, "But we do have a job to do here. I'd love to rest for a while, but the longer we hang out the better chance we're nabbed by the goblins."

25. - Top - End - #145

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

A shiver runs down Rolan's spine as he listens to Eldon. "We are here to do a job, but it's hard to focus when one is freezing. I'll press on if that's what everyone else thinks we should do, but if we take a short rest to warm our bones it might be beneficial. If we take refuge in a taller building, perhaps we can spy ahead and take in the lay of our surroundings."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex shakes his hair, arms and legs to get some of the water off. "Yes, we can't stay here and if we tried to attack now we'd be stuffed," He looks at the farm house that Eldon gestured to, "That should work nicely." He begins to approach the house slowly.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon shrugs his shoulders, and follows. It certainly wasn't going to take much convincing for him to find a warm dry place to rest for a few minutes. "Maybe there'll be a wood pile that we can build a nice little fire when we get there. Oh, and I think I have a few tea leaves in my rations, wouldn't a warm mug be just great!"

28. - Top - End - #148

As the party moves closer to old farm it becomes clear that Wrenndel and Matilda are hanging back. When asked about their strange behavior it becomes clear that they are no longer sure about the mission in Kiris Dahn, urging everyone to turn back. Once their attempts to dissuade the rest of the party fall on deaf ears, they both relay words of encouragement before turning back for the river.

The drow quickly disappears from sight about halfway across the frigid waters. It is then that Wrenndel returns to hand Rolan the ritual scrolls he had received from Treona.

"I am sorry things didn't work out like we planned. Though looking back we had some good times that we can fondly look back on. Well I should be heading back now, ...Stay safe and I hope you find that stone.", he says in a rather somber tone. With one last forlorn look at his compatriots the gnome hurries back to the water.

The remaining members of the group are disheartened by the loss of two of their allies but press on toward the farm as the long swim has left them frigid and fatigued. Rex boldly approaches the rustic looking structure and climbs the cracked and weathered set of stairs. Getting to the door requires a great deal of effort for the warrior as he is forced to maneuver around several rotted out planks. Upon grabbing the doorknob the door comes of its hinges and falls to the ground with a thud.

After getting an all clear from Rex, Eldon and Rolan join him on the porch. The adventurers then cautiously cross the threshold into a room that is steeped in complete darkness. Taking a tentative step forward rustling can be heard coming from somewhere in the house. Suddenly multiple silhouettes can be seen moving in the shadows.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-09-13 at 05:02 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon peers into the darkness, listening carefully. "Is it a raccoon or something that found it's way in? Oh, or maybe its a rabbit. We could catch him and I could roast him up quick. It's been a while since I've made one, but I know just how to cook them up to be real tasty."

Despite nearly drowning in the river and then losing two party members, it seems as though Eldon's ever joyous attitude hasn't been completely dampened.

30. - Top - End - #150

GreenSorcererElf

A ragged looking Drow turns the corner with his palms thrust out, on his palms arcane circles have been inscribed making it obvious he is some sort of arcanist. He takes a threatening stance, hands spread as wide as they can go and facing the party.

"I may not be a raccoon or a rabbit, but I'm just as cunning as one. What are you doing in my home?"