Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

"Who is Boomtah? Do you know him?" whispers Kerem to Rex.

2. Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex sighs as he watches the Hobgoblin bully the smaller goblins then moves back safely out of sight. He turns to the others, "We should try to find a better way in, unless you want to try to take care of them now rather than later?" he looks to Lo-Kag and Kerem, "Is there a library or something we could go in through; that's the last place I'd expect to see any of them?" He smiles to himself, a feeling superiority over the goblins running through him.

This is quickly lost as he addresses Kerem, "No, and I'd rather not find out until I have to."
    Last edited by Locklear; 2012-10-08 at 04:47 PM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

3. Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon peeks at the goblin force around the trunk of a large tree that is serving as cover to hide behind. "We don't know much about the inside of the estate. All we really have to go off of is the map of the village and a few leads about where what we're after might be. I say we force our way through the force here though. It's better to take them while we have a drop on them, I think," he says in a hushed voice.

4. Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rolan - Human Psion

"I agree that we don't know much about the mansion, but I'm not sure having the drop on a group this size is much of an advantage. Do we think we can skirt around the estate? It might be beneficial to survey the surroundings and see if we can determine if any goblins are inside."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolan looks around the see if there's adequate cover around the estate to sneak around and scout things out. Perception: (1d20+5)[12]. Also, I don't know how much power psionic classes really have in detecting nearby enemies with their mind, but if it's possible I'd like to try to see if Rolan can at least get some kind of sense of lifeforms in the building. What kind of check would I make if I wanted to do that? Would that be a small skill challenge perhaps?
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2012-10-09 at 01:29 PM.

Community Powered Tokens & Art | OotS-Style Monster Manual Art Project
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature
    Adventures in the Nentir Vale | Rolan | IC | OOC | Map | Summary

5. Top - End - #185

OOC: Rolan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other than the thick layer of brush you are currently concealed in, there is no other source of cover. Further investigation reveals a unit of goblin guards diligently patrolling each side of the estate. However on the eastern and western walls you notice large holes that must have been punched through when the estate was sacked eight years ago.

Since you are a telepath I will allow you a perception check that will let you to see how many enemies are within a twenty square distance.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Threats to the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

6. Top - End - #186

Rolan turns his mind outward, attempting to determine how many goblins are patrolling the eastern wall.

7. Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex looks suspiciously at Eldon, then dismisses it as the foolishness of youth, "If you want to kill us all, go right ahead." Seeing Rolan concentrating hard, he says, "It may be useful to see what our companion can tell us before we move." He then goes back to anxiously watching the goblins, careful to look for any scouts or sentries.
    Last edited by Locklear; 2012-10-14 at 10:21 AM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

8. Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

"Well whatever we do, I don't want to go back across that river." The air around Eldon seems to get colder and more damp for a few moments as the memory of crossing the river flashes through Eldon's mind. A shiver visibly runs down the young man's spine.

"Maybe if we can't start here we should go back to the temples. If I remember the map right, that's the next closest place we were supposed to check. There was the estate, the temples, the library, and the slums." He counts the locations off on his fingers as he lists them. "And don't forget we've got those scrolls too."
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-10-14 at 12:19 PM.

9. Top - End - #189

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem-Drow Scorcerer

"If this is an object of fair power, wouldn't be well guarded or in a place of significant importance? Should we try the temples?" He pauses, "Come to think of it, what is it were looking for? You mentioned we also have to destroy it, why can't we keep it? And what are these scrolls you're talking about?"
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2012-10-14 at 02:32 PM.

10. Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon replies, his voice still quiet for fear of disturbing the goblins. "We're looking for a stone that was enchanted to help protect this city a long time ago. We can't keep it because it is made with dark magic and requires more evil acts to make use of it. Not only that, but there's someone who has offered to pay us to see that it is destroyed. The scrolls you'll have to ask Rolen more about. He knows more about that sort of thing than me, but they're supposed to help us find what we're looking for."

11. Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

Lo-Kag - Goliath Warden

"The goblins are pathetic vermin, but in such numbers, they will surely overwhelm us. We must avoid them, as long as we can." Lo-Kag whispered. "Maybe these scrolls can help us, and if they don't, well, the temples sound like a good place to keep an object of dark magic."

12. Top - End - #192

OOC: Rolan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel the presence of at least six sentient beings patrolling the wall. However you get the feeling that there are more goblins outside of your range.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

13. Top - End - #193

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan closes his eyes for a moment to concentrate over the conversation between his companions. After a moment he re-opens them and turns to the others. "I can sense at least six goblins patrolling nearby, but I get the sense that this place is filled with them." Rolan pauses for a moment as the words the others had said while he was searching for goblin minds finally run back through his head. "Ah, yes! The scrolls, thank you for reminding me, Eldon. We were given three ritual scrolls that are attuned to the stone we seek. If we use a scroll and a ghostly image of the stone appears, then we will know it is nearby. If we are to use one though we should be as close to the center of the area we want to check as possible. Since getting into the estate seems like it would be rather deadly, I would say let's use one of the scrolls to see if it's even worth risking our lives here. Agreed?"
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2012-10-15 at 07:52 AM.

14. Top - End - #194

Having scouted the area around the estate it has become quite clear to the party that breaching the estate would be nearly impossible. Eldon's suggestion to investigate the Temples is quickly latched on as the group's next best lead. You all shift silently through the brush so as not to draw the eye of any goblins. An abandoned home encrusted in a thick layer of moss and slowly being choked by a tangle of vines catches the adventurers attention. Lo-Kag approaches first, quickly locating a window on the side of the house that isnít totally covered in plant life for the group to enter. Climbing through the window into what appeared to be the kitchen it was apparent that nature had been slowly reclaiming this structure for some time.

Traveling into an adjacent hallway you hear rustling coming from the floor above, and then from the next room you hear voices chattering in an unknown dialect. Peering into the room you spy a pair of kobolds wearing rather crude looking armor, tearing the dwelling apart, searching for anything of value. A third kobold outfitted with much better gear seems to be supervising the operation. None of them have noticed your presence.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-10-24 at 12:48 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

15. Top - End - #195

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem-Drow Sorcerer

"Three little lizards?" Kerem mutters as a wicked grin fills his jowels, "I think we can take them."

16. Top - End - #196

Rolan - Human Psion

Kobolds... they're like rats. Where there's one there's always more. And where there's three... Rolan trails off as he closes his eyes and opens his mind. Rolan probes outward attempting to find other minds nearby.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolan attempts to determine if there are other enemies than the 3 kobolds seen so far.

17. Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex spits on the ground disgustedly, "Pitiful scum. Scavengers. We should kill the smaller two. The large one may know something about what you're looking for." He reaches for his sword and leaves his hand on the hilt, readying himself to fight the kobolds.
    Last edited by Locklear; 2012-10-24 at 11:12 AM.

18. Top - End - #198

OOC: Dakaran
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel the presence of at least seven other kobolds on the property.

OOC: Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a surprise round 3 of you will need to pass a DC 10 Stealth Check. I'll roll initiative in the OOC thread.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

19. Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon creeps around sticking close behind Rex and Lo-Kag. "I doubt that they'll know anything, but it I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask. I didn't realize there were going to be any kobolds here though. I thought it was all goblins," he whispers.

Spoiler
    Show

Here's my attempt at a stealth check. I doubt I'll beat the DC, but it can't hurt to try. Stealth - (1d20)[9] Edit: Missed it by >< that much.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-10-24 at 10:01 PM.

20. Top - End - #200

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan opens his eyes and in a hushed tone says to the others "I can sense more Kobolds on the property... at least seven others. I think we can handle a handful of kobolds, but we should try to take them out in smaller groups. Let's see if we can't put down these three quickly and quietly." Rolan reaches under his cloak and grabs his orb, feeling a sudden surge of psionic power resonating in his mind.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check: (1d20)[10]

21. Top - End - #201

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem-Drow Sorcerer

"This is where the fun begins'" Kerem whispers as he maneuvers into a better position, his tattooed fingers set into a snapping position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+3)[14]

22. Top - End - #202

Lo-Kag - Goliath Warden

"Let's get rid of these little rats." Lo-Kag growled, eager to smash the pitiful scavengers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20-1)[11]

23. Top - End - #203

The kobolds are caught completely off guard by the party's attack until the very moment battle is joined. Each of the scavengers is wide eyed, slack jawed, and completely unprepared to defend themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    COMBAT! (OOC)

Since you have surprise this round you may act in any order.
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: Eldon, Kerem, G2, Lo-Kag, Rolan, D1, G1, Rex

Please remember to edit your stats on the battle map to reflect stat changes, health, power point usage, etc. Be sure to look at the terrain notes for the map as well.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-11-05 at 09:26 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

24. Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon glances back at the others, and once he has their go-ahead he begins the fight by swinging his halberd out of the shadows. The large blade comes down in a mighty swing toward the unsuspecting kobold who is unlucky enough to be closest to the hallway.

If the blow lands true, Eldon's adrenaline begins to race and the excitement of battle is spread to Lo-Kag through his mental powers. Eldon then moves into the room clearing the way for others to launch their attacks.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Energizing Strike on Guttersnipe 1 Attack vs AC - (1d20+8)[10]. A hit does damage - (1d10+4)[14] and gives Lo-Kag 4 temporary hp.

Move: Move around to F22, going around the table to avoid OAs. (marker moved)

Edit: As pointed out in the OOC thread, I'm sometimes an idiot. Especially when I'm too tired. I've edited out all but Eldon's first action.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2012-11-06 at 12:47 AM.

25. Top - End - #205

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem-Drow Sorcerer

Kerem chuckles as he sees Eldon's strike miss. "Let me show you the true power of an Arcanist." He stretches forth his hand and snaps his fingers and grins as he sees a fiery bolt fling itself at the Kobold leader.

He gapes in shock when it fizzles out and leaves only sparks floating in front of the Kobold's face. The Dragonshield only sniffles scratches his nose and looks on in confusion as sparks tickle his snout.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaos Bolt (1d20+5)[6] vs Dragonshield's Will
    Damage: (1d10+5)[9]
    If I rolled an even number (assumingly before my Charisma modifier), then my Wild Mage feature allows me to make a secondary attack against another target.
    Secondary attack: (1d20+6)[17] vs Guttersnipe 2's Will (Arcane Spellfury feat gives me a +1 to attack rolls after a successful hit with an at will).
    Damage: (1d6+5)[9] Physic damage. If this secondary attack turns up an even number too, then I get a third attack.
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2012-11-06 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hellís heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumorís sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

26. Top - End - #206

Eldon's halberd emerges from the shadows, intended for the neck of the unknowing guttersnipe. The ardent misjudges the distance which allows the kobold enough time to recover from its initial shock and avoid the attack.

Kerem propels a bolt of fiery energy toward the dragonshield. The drow smiles gleefully upon impact, but when the smoke clears, his grin is gone and his target is completely unfazed.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry! Those are both misses.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-11-07 at 02:34 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

27. Top - End - #207

Rolan Berelain - Human Psion

Rolan feels the surge of adrenaline enter his body at the anticipation of battle, as his mind enters a state of clear focus. His training with the Royal Inquisitors taught runs through his head like clockwork. Clear your mind. There is nothing but the present. Sense your surroundings. Seven lifeforms: four allies, three enemies. Two enemies them lie directly before me. With precision movement Rolan draws this battle orb and draws power from within it. In an instant he throws intense thoughts at the foes before him in an effort to torment them and weaken their resolve.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise round standard action: Dishearten
    Target: Burst 1 centered on D20
    Attack vs Guttersnipe 1's Will:(1d20+8)[12]
    Attack vs Dragonshield's Will: (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage: (1d6+7)[8]
    If hit, the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.

28. Top - End - #208

Rolan's psionic attack inserts thoughts of defeat into his foes, draining their will to continue fighting. The mental assault affects the guttersnipe so strongly that it begins to shake in terror, causing its piece mail armor to fall apart, leaving it extremely vulnerable.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nicely done!
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-11-07 at 12:15 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

Lo-Kag Rockhide
    - Goliath Monk

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

29. Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex steps forwards towards the fight and gets ready to attack the kobolds.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Surprise Round
    Move
    E13 to E15

30. Top - End - #210

Lo-Kag - Goliath Warden

Lo-Kag swung his sword in the direction of the nearest kobold. Thorny vines emerged from the goliath's blade and flew towards his opponent.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round
    Thorn Strike Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[18] vs AC
    Damage: (1d8+4)[10]
    If that hits, I'll pull the Guttersnipe to D18. Also, if I'm allowed to make a free action after this, I'll mark him as well.