Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    qwertyu63's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Half past Crazy
    Gender
    Male

    Default (3.5 creature) Dungeon Crafter

    This is crap, ignore it

    Dungeon Crafter

    Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Native)
    Hit Dice: 4d8 (18 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1
    Attack: +1 melee (1d4+1)
    Full Attack: -
    Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: -
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 9
    Skills: Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) +5, Listen +2, Search +3, Spot +2
    Feats: Alertness, ?????
    Environment: Dungeons
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +3

    Spell-Like Abilities:
    All spell-like abilities as level 9 caster, unless otherwise noted. All have full-round action casting times, unless noted.

    At will- Acid Splash
    At will- Prestidigation
    At will- Stone Shape
    At will- Speak with Animals

    5/day- Wall of Stone

    3/day- Summon Nature’s Ally I (Duration changed to Instantaneous)
    3/day- Major Creation (Duration changed to Instantaneous, can take 20 on Craft check, max value: 250 gp)

    1/day- Summon Nature’s Ally II (Duration changed to Instantaneous)
    1/day- Quick Alchemy (Create any 1 alchemic item worth 50 gp or less, Duration: Instantaneous)
    1/day- Create Trap (Duration changed to Instantaneous)
    1/day- Reroll (as the Luck Domain power)
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-12-08 at 08:20 AM.
    If one of my table's is borked, PM me.

    "The only difference between homebrew and third-party content is a price tag." -Me, just now.

    Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.

    My Homebrew-Sirius Black is neither serious or black.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheWombatOfDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Aldain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (3.5 creature) (Need help with CR) Dungeon Crafter

    It seems you have here a creature that creates dungeons. An interesting concept...

    At first glance, I thought it was a creature that was a living dungeon. That would be another matter entirely.

    Ok, so its very low hit dice, but it has hefty abilities? I'd say it's a CR... between 4 and 7, higher more likely. I'd up the hit dice a bit and that will help make the CR more cohesive. Maybe CR 5? Good for low level dungeon crawling! I'd like to see your fluff to this, if there is any!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

    World Building Project:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

    Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Spell Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt
    (you can't take the sky from me)

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    qwertyu63's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Half past Crazy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (3.5 creature) (Need help with CR) Dungeon Crafter

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    It seems you have here a creature that creates dungeons. An interesting concept...

    At first glance, I thought it was a creature that was a living dungeon. That would be another matter entirely.

    Ok, so its very low hit dice, but it has hefty abilities? I'd say it's a CR... between 4 and 7, higher more likely. I'd up the hit dice a bit and that will help make the CR more cohesive. Maybe CR 5? Good for low level dungeon crawling! I'd like to see your fluff to this, if there is any!
    So, what should I raise the hit dice to? I don't make creatures much, so I really don't know.

    As to the fluff, the idea I have in mind is a trickster-mentor archetype that forms these dungeons as a sort of "trial by fire" for adventurers, to help them get stronger, as well as for the amusement of the crafter themselves.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-06-19 at 12:23 PM.
    If one of my table's is borked, PM me.

    "The only difference between homebrew and third-party content is a price tag." -Me, just now.

    Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.

    My Homebrew-Sirius Black is neither serious or black.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheWombatOfDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Aldain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (3.5 creature) (Need help with CR) Dungeon Crafter

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    So, what should I raise the hit dice to? I don't make creatures much, so I really don't know.

    As to the fluff, the idea I have in mind is a trickster-mentor archetype that forms these dungeons as a sort of "trial by fire" for adventurers, to help them get stronger, as well as for the amusement of the crafter themselves.

    AGH. Lost my post.

    Ok. So. Lets see what I said...Read up on the book Savage Species (yes I know it's 3.0, but it's a good resource for ECL). It has a lot of helpful things to keep in mind and model when creating a monster. There might even be something in the monster manual that might help. Use other outsiders of a similar range as models as well.

    I'd say maybe raise it's dex (since it's sneaky) and wisdom, and drop some other things down. Don't be afraid to bring some abilities down below 10. Remember, it's a monster, not a player. The thing that gets me is the level 15 caster level. Where did you get this number? Also the numbers for Fort, ref and will? I'd suggest making 2 the higher (will/ref) and 1 the lower save (fort) and making them all increased, instead of making them the same down the line.

    As for HD, I'd day make it a D8, and change it to 4HD. I'd say then It'd be a ECL 3 with a CR of 7. But this could change. I'd need to look at the PHB, MM, and maybe SS when I get home. So, I can have more...sure answers instead of educated guesses if you can tell me where you got your caster level, what "hand of fate" is, and so on, plus me actually having materials in front of me will help, since I can't judge the levels of the spells from memory (that part of my brain is getting rusty with disuse).
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-06-19 at 01:35 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

    World Building Project:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

    Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Spell Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt
    (you can't take the sky from me)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    qwertyu63's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Half past Crazy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (3.5 creature) (Need help with CR) Dungeon Crafter

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    AGH. Lost my post.

    Ok. So. Lets see what I said...Read up on the book Savage Species (yes I know it's 3.0, but it's a good resource for ECL). It has a lot of helpful things to keep in mind and model when creating a monster. There might even be something in the monster manual that might help. Use other outsiders of a similar range as models as well.
    Alright, I'll have to track down that book.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'd say maybe raise it's dex (since it's sneaky) and wisdom, and drop some other things down. Don't be afraid to bring some abilities down below 10. Remember, it's a monster, not a player. The thing that gets me is the level 15 caster level. Where did you get this number? Also the numbers for Fort, ref and will? I'd suggest making 2 the higher (will/ref) and 1 the lower save (fort) and making them all increased, instead of making them the same down the line.
    The caster level and saves were pulled out of nowhere, and can be changed easily.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    As for HD, I'd day make it a D8, and change it to 4HD. I'd say then It'd be a ECL 3 with a CR of 7. But this could change. I'd need to look at the PHB, MM, and maybe SS when I get home. So, I can have more...sure answers instead of educated guesses if you can tell me where you got your caster level, what "hand of fate" is, and so on, plus me actually having materials in front of me will help, since I can't judge the levels of the spells from memory (that part of my brain is getting rusty with disuse).
    Before my changes to them, the spells ranged in level from 0 to 5th. Hand of Fate is just a flavorful name for its basic unarmed strike.

    I'll likely edit more in this post once some pages I need load. Or not.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-06-20 at 06:35 PM.
    If one of my table's is borked, PM me.

    "The only difference between homebrew and third-party content is a price tag." -Me, just now.

    Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.

    My Homebrew-Sirius Black is neither serious or black.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •