New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 2F: Ponibooru, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    And I found a pony who loves explosions almost as much as Luka.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So very tempted to add that to the ol' headcanon pile
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Anarion:

You're thinking about this in terms of a universe where relativity holds.

Aotrs is not.

Basically, he's attempting to have a railgun slug use the Picard Manoeuvrer.

So, the FTL is in such a way that exceeds c, but doesn't mess with general relativity to the point of going back in time.

Sure, it's not the hardest sci-fi ever, but dude.

Talking multicolour marshmallow ponies.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Anarion:

You're thinking about this in terms of a universe where relativity holds.

Aotrs is not.

Basically, he's attempting to have a railgun slug use the Picard Manoeuvrer.

So, the FTL is in such a way that exceeds c, but doesn't mess with general relativity to the point of going back in time.

Sure, it's not the hardest sci-fi ever, but dude.

Talking multicolour marshmallow ponies.
    I would not raise an issue with this if he wasn't bringing it up in a rant about how things need to be able to actually affect the universe and can be properly interacted with using energy weapons. It kind of undercuts the position of "things must work this way!" when you admit to your own organization using a thing that doesn't work.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Nah, Pinkie gets half of her hair straitened in an accident and becomes Two Mane
    Pinkie Pie's more like, five Batman villains. Each day, she wakes up and says "I feel like the Joker today!" or "This sounds like a day for the Penguin!" and puts on such a convincing act that she gets let out of jail or whatever because she's not the same pony that was locked away yesterday.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    No, you actually are suggesting time travel. c is the speed of information propagation, not just light. If something moved faster than c, it would lead to it appearing in the past for the timelines of certain observers based on their relative reference frames. It's a guaranteed paradox. Also, you would need more than infinite energy to accelerate something to that speed, which is kind of tough, since it's actually a mathematical infinity and not just one of those local "almost infinity but not really" problems.

I guess, in the interest of full analysis, that maybe the Aotrs weapons are actually altering the conditions of the universe such that the impact is an inevitability, which could, theoretically, lead to a result happening at a distance that would seem to exceed the lightspeed propagation of information.
    Eh, I dunno then. So maybe it doesn't. It's not like I've actually measured the observed whatever or anything, I was just extrapolating as an offhand point from what I do know (i.e. that Aotrs railguns fire at FTL speeds - using the same sort of technology used to create traditional same-dimension near-C and FTL transit (such as used by most standard starship engines, whose "maximum" speed is as much relativistic temporal restriction, rather than physical.) And thinking it worked, as Shadow of the Sun said, more like a Picard manouver, or seeing a lightning bolt before hearing thunder. It was a minor aside at best, and not important. At the end of the day, Aotrs Gate technology (which I do know all about) uses neither, and I'm a necromancer not an FTL technician.

Best guess without doing a lot of pratting around (and now I come to think harder about it) I distantly recall something about the railguns imparting the same effect that the engines use, only without needing active temporal compensators (which, yes, are a standard component of all starship drives (even really low tech ones) - have to be, given even combat speeds that are signficant fractions of c, and no, I have no clue as to how they actually work, only that they eliminate the temporal distortions caused by near or FTL speeds). The effect is short-lived (not that it matters within the space of effective weapon range), I think, and unlike a starship drive, there's an inertial component (most starship drives are typically called "inertia-less", though that is not in fact correct, there is inertia, but just greatly dampened - and they also require continuous burn as opposed to bursts like typical bottom-space-tech inertial combustion engines).

Effective weapon range, incidently, is a function of accuracy; past a million kilometers or so, the flight time become sufficient that evasive manouvers happen between firing and impact.

Anyhoo, as I say, it's not important, so I'll drop the subject anyway.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Yay tumblr posts!

I have the first two images ready, but am having trouble with the expression necessary for the third panel. That and how to fore-shorten bent hooves. Be ready by Monday.

Spoiler
    Show

Good job so far.

As for the answer to the question? All this craziness is taking place in Equestria, which is more resilient and used to chaos.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Barbarian in the Playground

About two days (Monday, 12pm GMT) left before I'd like all the people answering the tumblrbot question to have sent in their answers. (link for those that may need it).

After those come in, I'm going to open up and allow questions to be claimed.

Balmas, you said you were having a third panel right? Just want to know before I start setting it up for it's post after the tumblrbot question.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Sounds legit. What do you want?"
    *points to runes sketched on the walls in blood*
    just put your front hooves in circle, then I'll give you all the magic you like.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    About two days (Monday, 12pm GMT) left before I'd like all the people answering the tumblrbot question to have sent in their answers. (link for those that may need it).
    Do you just want us to answer here, or in some other form? Because my art skills are worse than Flim & Flam's rushed cider.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Anyhoo, as I say, it's not important, so I'll drop the subject anyway.
    It's cool, I'm just passionate about accurate physics.

Also, woo!! I won an argument with the metallic spirit bound overlord who controls a large fleet and has the power to blow me out of existence if I ever make him too angry...wait.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    just put your front hooves in circle, then I'll give you all the magic you like.
    You're not really helping, whoever you are.

By the way, binding a unicorn like that is pointless. Why haven't you escaped yet?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

more Coppertone ponies

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    You know what annoys me? People saying that Cadence 'makes ponies fall in love.' There is no actual evidence that she does so.

The two occasions we see her use her spell are: Resolving what looks very much like an argument between a couple who are already romantically engaged, and snapping a stallion who was already very much in love with her out of a mind control spell.

Both occurrences involve fanning the flames of existing affection, not the forging of new emotions. Thus, it is safe to say that her power is not to create love, but to help strengthen what's already there.
    Cadance is OP, nerf Cadance.

/totallynotdonewithulteriormotives

14. - Top - End - #404

It's cool, I'm just passionate about accurate physics.

Also, woo!! I won an argument with the metallic spirit bound overlord who controls a large fleet and has the power to blow me out of existence if I ever make him too angry...wait.
    I dunno, it seems to me that there's not a lot of difference between how FTL engines break physics and how FTL weapons break physics. And if you don't allow the former then a space fleet is of very limited utility. (Barring Gate and other teleportation, of course.)
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    I'm testing something.

Besides, if you think I'm being rude, you don't even want to see the rest of this internet thing.
    'Other people are worse' is not a justification for you to be bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    That's fantastic.

Cleaning out a backlog of pony images.

A couple of slightly saucy and suggestive pics
    Spoiler
    Show

And a quick anthro pony image dump, courtesy of tg-0

Spoiler
    Show

And I found a pony who loves explosions almost as much as Luka.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote for save.

Does that include "temporary, just so you get to personally see what it would be like before reality resets back to normal" forced relationships?
    Not done them either. If I wanted to just show them, I'd either find a reality where it happened, or telepathically generate a vision for them of if it did.

Also, Aotrs physics doesn't have to fit ours. It just has to be consistent in itself.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

See, if the folks who are more writing-oriented could somehow get character emoting pics similar to Thanqol's, this sort of thing could be happening on the tumblr blog no problem. Just another suggestion for the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Cadance is OP, nerf Cadance.

/totallynotdonewithulteriormotives
    My Little Pony v.4.1 Patch Notes

• Changelings magic regeneration rate lowered from 3.5 to 1.0
    • Changeling magic gain due to feeding lowered from 15.0 to 7.5
    • Cadance gets free ice cream and mane-brushies forever.

*Pipsqueak is best pone

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    What?! Since when?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-06-23 at 06:34 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Then don't miss!

Plus, if you're using energy weapons, you just fire again...!

I'm not saying anything is a perfect solution - as I would hope you've all gathered by now, I don't work in absolutes, but in modals - but it works most of the time on most things.
    Sure but lets say what your fighting is a viral sound virus/being. By the time you've precived it you're under attack. The blank slate method works by guesswork in that situation. The house is similar in that one day there is an extra door in your ship that just goes to the wrong place. You can't blank slate it because it appears inside your defenses.

I'm actually offended. Never-EVER-have I ACTUALLY forced a relationship on someone. I have joked it, threatened it, teased it, implied it, but I have never actually done it.
    Ever.
    To use an Exalted term, everything I do is Natural Mental Influence. Sure, it takes at least five willpower to ignore, but still Natural.
    I'm sorry. Hug?

Still not sure what the actual difference is though between your Natural Influence and a love spell.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Pinkie Pie's more like, five Batman villains. Each day, she wakes up and says "I feel like the Joker today!" or "This sounds like a day for the Penguin!" and puts on such a convincing act that she gets let out of jail or whatever because she's not the same pony that was locked away yesterday.
    I love this idea.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

*Pipsqueak is best pone
    My Little Pony e.52 Patch Notes

• Celestia's base Ability Power lowered from 9001 to 9
    • Twilight's base attack speed increased from 0.620 to 0.775
    • Pinkie's Party Cannon damage adjusted from 50/90/130/170/210 to 30/80/130/180/230

:3

What?! Since when?
    OH, YOU! (laugh track)

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I'm sorry. Hug?

Still not sure what the actual difference is though between your Natural Influence and a love spell.
    (hugs)
    Natural Mental Influence is increasing your abilities, making yourself so sexy or so persuasive that people find it hard to disagree. Unnatural Mental Influence is decreasing or bypassing their defences-rather than just making yourself so hot they want you, you magically TELL them they want you until they agree.

ooh, better metaphor.

Natural mental influence is playing a video game, but using your magic powers to play it amazingly inhumanly well.
    Unnatural mental influence is hacking the game magically so you've already won.
    (I'm sure I could get the Kobayashi Meru in this explanation somewhere...)

Natural is normal persuasion, magnified. Unnatural is just mind control.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2012-06-23 at 06:52 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

(hugs)
    Natural Mental Influence is increasing your abilities, making yourself so sexy or so persuasive that people find it hard to disagree. Unnatural Mental Influence is decreasing or bypassing their defences-rather than just making yourself so hot they want you, you magically TELL them they want you until they agree.

ooh, better metaphor.

Natural mental influence is playing a video game, but using your magic powers to play it amazingly inhumanly well.
    Unnatural mental influence is hacking the game magically so you've already won.
    (I'm sure I could get the Kobayashi Meru in this explanation somewhere...)

Natural is normal persuasion, magnified. Unnatural is just mind control.
    I see. And yours affects everyone around you correct? But they don't realize themselves are being amped up?

Different topic!

Changling abilities: What do you think they can do?

I've seen everything from mind control to borg style assimilation. Some people put them at an insanely high power per changling.

Personally I think they are powered by love, have basic unicorn telekinisis, perfect illusionary transformation into a target they've seen, flight, and the ability to create a goop-like rope. They are physically weaker then every pony, do not have a hive mind, heal slower then ponies, and have free will.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Colossus in the Playground

'Cos if you pump enough energy into a region, it's like using a nuke to stop a leaking pipe or extinguish a forest fire. It'll solve the problem, though not necessarily without collateral damage... Supernatural things still require some form on energy to [Do Stuff], and if you put enough raw energy emissions in the vicinity, it'll do the job, because it'll leak through everything in the area enough to rip up and disrupt whatever [Stuff] is [Being done].

(E.g, if you put enough fire at it, you can destroy a fire elemental with fire. You just have to enough down that it literally is just overwhelmed and subsumed by the sheer amount of energy on target. (You might imagine it's a bit like, if you put enough and hot enough fire down, it automatically becomes Searing Spell-enhanced.) Now, granted "enough" is A Hell Of A Lot (I mean in D&D terms, you're talking probably tens of thousands of points of damage, achievable only well into theoretical optimisation territory).)

It ain't efficient or ideal, mind you, but we're talking in terms of possible (on a practical, not theoretical, level), not optimal. (But starship weapons are in that sort of territory, where their baleful energies are throwing out stellar-scale attacks.)

It helps if you think that real absolutes are actually vanishingly rare, and most absolutes are absolute relative to their context, not necessarily on a universe-magnitude scale. (I.e. a example: a weapon which has greater than the size of the board you play on may as well be infinite in context to the game - it may in reality only be a little bit more, or maybe three or four times more than the board, but as far as that wargame goes, the range is infinite.)
    "As far as the Abyss goes, tearing apart reality is kind of it's motivation, so orbital sterilisation of contact sites is unfortunately close to giving it what it wants."

Inverse Ninja Law isn't always constant and against the foes you fight can be worth it anyways. Afterall you can cover a lot more ground with the clones. As for soul-harvesting a good way to do it is to collect unborn souls and fuse them into the unborn clones. A relatively simple portal can do the trick.
    "That's a great idea! I'll harvest unborn souls instead! My ethical dilemma is solved!"

"But there's still the problem of one of Thanqol's earlier characters who basically protects the Bastion of Souls full time, and he's a bit of a badass."

By the way I hate that house. My advice? Try and track down the book.
    "I have reason to believe that attempting to do so would directly lead to me writing the book."

Huh. Well, Charger, it seems it's your lucky day.

Due to a great deal of luck and some extremely impressive work from the lads at the shipyard facility, the cruiser's actually ready NOW. They even managed to get it coloured up and painted already, so you owe them a big thanks!

Okay, hit it.

May we present your starship:
    Spoiler
    Show

Three-hundred-and-ninety-seven metres of Light Cruiser, in near-prefect condition.

Armed to the teeth with Herosine Empire heavy disruptor cannons, plus a considerable amount of point-defence arrays or various types. There's even a couple of screen-drones in the hanger they managed to find from some other captured Herosine ships.

Never say I don't do anythin' for yer...

There's still a little internal work to be done - which might take a day or two by the teams aboard to bring it to 100% combat status, and the transport - which is nothing to write home about, by the way - will follow join up with you later so you can keep it maintained and running without external help, but it's essentially ready as soon as you give us a location to deliver it to.
    "Hmmm, what planet do I least like...?"

"Park it outside Io. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Io."

I'm sorry. If the Elements of Harmony don't exist in your reality, than I cannot help you. Your reality is far too different from mine, or anypony else's for that matter.

Anything else I thought could help will not. You're too far gone. I'm sorry.
    "I seem to have misjudged you."

You're gonna get a lot of mileage out of these, aren't you. xD
    "Mhm."

Thanqol's fragments are no answering on his behalf. I fear we may never see thanqol prime again-assuming such a being has relevence or meaning.
    "You should hear the others begging for their own reaction shots."

I'm testing something.

Besides, if you think I'm being rude, you don't even want to see the rest of this internet thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    "I would but I'm terrified of blood."

21. - Top - End - #411

I never said that it was a justification. I was stating a simple fact. Furthermore, you are quite correct.

However, you may not have taken not of my first sentence.

I'm testing this alternate universe pony who shares the face of the one I love.

Perhaps there may be a way to save her after all...
    Last edited by Maxtronaut; 2012-06-23 at 07:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Firbolg in the Playground

• Pinkie's Party Cannon damage adjusted from 50/90/130/170/210 to 30/80/130/180/230

My Little Pony e.60 Patch Notes

• Candace stops showing up as a insectoid on the Learn-O-Meter after the Royal Wedding Quest is finished.
    • The daily quest " Royal Shocker" is unable to be done after the Royal Wedding server event is activated.
    • Philomena has been moved from the Throne Room to Celestia's Study, and does not spawn when Celestia is attacked. Her Revive Flare now also dazes and confuses all dragon-typed creatures in the area.

Has nothing to do with a certent WoW quest relating to a black dragon, no sire...
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-06-23 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post

• Candace stops showing up as a insectoid on the Learn-O-Meter after the Royal Wedding Quest is finished.
    • The daily quest " Royal Shocker" is unable to be done after the Royal Wedding server event is activated.
    • Philomena has been moved from the Throne Room to Celestia's Study, and does not spawn when Celestia is attacked. Her Revive Flare now also dazes and confuses all dragon-typed creatures in the area.
    The Appleoosa zone has undergone a makeover! Terrain in the orchard has been altered to allow smoother questing and migrations.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

I see. And yours affects everyone around you correct? But they don't realize themselves are being amped up?
    Huh? Never thought about it, tbh. it was a joke.
    Hmm.
    How does the shipping aura work. Well, I'd assume it just lowers the inhibitions slightly, but it's a very weak effect. Honestly... people are affected more by being told 'I have a shipping aura' then actually being in the aura. I've considered just not bothering to make it before.

"Mhm."

"You should hear the others begging for their own reaction shots."
    How long til they get them? :P
    IIRC, you're a lightning mage? And jayden is force? (I was getting you two confused before I remembered this...)
    (I should get hold of mage. >_>)

I never said that it was a justification. I was stating a simple fact. Furthermore, you are quite correct.

However, you may not have taken not of my first sentence.

I'm testing this alternate universe pony who shares the face of the one I love.

Perhaps there may be a way to save her after all...
    What gives you any kind of right to save her? She has no relationship to you, likely doesn't much like you, and probably doesn't WANT you to save her.

Has nothing to do with a certent WoW quest relating to a black dragon, no sire...
    ...E60? You have the sixtieth episode?
    Give it or... or... or else.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

"That's a great idea! I'll harvest unborn souls instead! My ethical dilemma is solved!"

"But there's still the problem of one of Thanqol's earlier characters who basically protects the Bastion of Souls full time, and he's a bit of a badass."

"I have reason to believe that attempting to do so would directly lead to me writing the book."

I can't even tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Anyways I'm sure you'll be fine. You don't need to get to the actual Bastion of Souls but one of the channels will do. Also send in a vacation package first.

If you can survive writing the book it will defeat the house. I say go for it!
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

You beautiful people, you.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

To change reality, you still have to affect reality. Even if you will it, there is still some reaction against reality that cause it to change. You can't change something without acting on it, some way, some how, through some form of something, be it magic, thought, will, spiral power if you want to get really silly1, whatever - which therefore exists, it can be distrupted/destroyed.
    As I thought you missed what I'm talking about. I'm talking about situations where simply upping the energy does not matter or at least is not linear. While its generally not effortless when you focus instead of on power but upon concept you can achieve situations where the scale of the power becomes irrelevant. While some power (be it whatever form) is likely present/expended in the conceptual approach it is not something that has to line up with scale.

A defense which say places one in an "unreachable utopia" that nothing else can enter, but which you can still send effects out to and be aware of your original reality. You are invincible because even an attack across multiple realities of infinite power can't enter your unreachable utopia thus can't reach you. But still having a relevant one-way connection to the original reality makes you also able to attack. Of course under ordinary logic this is monstrously horrendous to be in such an unreachable utopia, but that is of course why it is a miraculous phenomena since it is something that could not be achieved by "normal" means.

That's fighting by concept not power and yes its absolutely cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    I dunno, it seems to me that there's not a lot of difference between how FTL engines break physics and how FTL weapons break physics. And if you don't allow the former then a space fleet is of very limited utility. (Barring Gate and other teleportation, of course.)
    The Lich said his railgun weapons fire slugs. Inert metal mass cannot move at FTL speeds since it would requiring that mass to have been given mathematically infinite energy among many other things. While various FTL methods have been conceptualized they broadly speaking all cheat this rule. You for example bend space-time to shorten your path or you can say go into another dimension with different spacial geometry and rules. Or perhaps you can even create an effect to change the value of c.

However a slug by definition cannot carry any equipment to do that, so to do that one would actually need to not only have an FTL method but a way to project it along the intended course of the round. Which frankly is almost certainly an engineering waste of time. If it doesn't just break reality. And it would probably be easier to just fire an slower then light mass at a high percentage of lightspeed. Which would give you say an upper limit of between the Earth and the Moon as a range with only a fraction over a second or so of warning.

Depending on the delta-v you can instantly generate and the g-forces your crew can handle this does make combat in space nominally "short-ranged" next to the scale. However nothing is to scale with space's size anyways, and its still an awfully long range.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Colossus in the Playground

How long til they get them? :P
    IIRC, you're a lightning mage? And jayden is force? (I was getting you two confused before I remembered this...)
    (I should get hold of mage. >_>)
    "I actually specialise in Life, though I have a smattering of Time and Forces. I do use electrical based weaponry."

I can't even tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Anyways I'm sure you'll be fine. You don't need to get to the actual Bastion of Souls but one of the channels will do. Also send in a vacation package first.

If you can survive writing the book it will defeat the house. I say go for it!
    "I will get right on both of those things which you said!"

29. - Top - End - #419

What gives you any kind of right to save her? She has no relationship to you, likely doesn't much like you, and probably doesn't WANT you to save her.

...fine. Hey Bright, do you wanna take over while I go comfort your big sis?

*Runs up to Clockwork. Nods.*

Well alrighty then. Hey Pokonic, Thubby, whoever this little mare is to you, she's my little sister. If you hurt her, emotionally, mentally, or physically, I will find you.

*walks off.*
    Last edited by Maxtronaut; 2012-06-23 at 07:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

"I actually specialise in Life, though I have a smattering of Time and Forces. I do use electrical based weaponry."
    oh, my mistake. Sorry. ^_^''

...fine. Hey Bright, do you wanna take over while I go comfort your big sis?
    (hopes desperately that charger WAS done)