New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 2F: Ponibooru, We Hardly Knew Ye...

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Every substance ever used to try to get high? That's a lot of substances. Possibly definitely all of them.
    ....that would mean I'm immune to addiction!
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Oh you.

And Thanqol, one day we may in fact fail as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Two: An interesting contrast to the success of the Pony Fandom, have an article on the failure of the Sonic Fandom
    as an avid fan of 2D sonic, i gotta say that was a good read. sega's hostility towards fan-made-content hasn't helped at all. im surprised they didnt mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    you're still here.
    i rest my case.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

Two: An interesting contrast to the success of the Pony Fandom, have an article on the failure of the Sonic Fandom
    That article was of adequate length that I want to know what originally motivated you to spend your time reading it, especially since you're posting it around. It was pretty good though. I'm also amazed at the number of licenses, variations, and games that I never heard of before.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That article was of adequate length that I want to know what originally motivated you to spend your time reading it, especially since you're posting it around. It was pretty good though. I'm also amazed at the number of licenses, variations, and games that I never heard of before.
    "Boredom" is generally the answer I'd give for reading it. That, and morbid curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Colossus in the Playground

I briefly touched on the periphery of the Sonic Fandom many years prior, and was terrified of what I saw there. It was good to have an explanation for the thing that I was running from.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-01 at 12:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Bugbear in the Playground

Interesting read, ponies really are the anti-sonic (consistently bad for decades on end until they were suddenly rehabilitated with two really good years of content).

It also kind of suggests that franchises built around a single objective (Sonic:sell the Genesis! Ponies: sell toys!) shouldn't stray too far from their roots. Which means that, say, a 90 minute direct to dvd or theater pony movie would probably be a bad thing. Also, for the love of Faust DON'T
    start spreading your continuity too thin. I saw this when I was playing WoW as well. The developers must have realized that an MMO is a horrible platform for a story and started putting important events into tie-in media like novels and comics, none of which I have ever or will ever read.

Care about the product you're making. If you have to pick between putting the effort in to make something good versus rushing it out the door as quickly as possible, put in the effort.

Find the best venue to leverage what your franchise is good at. In sonic's case the simpler nature of the gameplay lent itself well to portables. I have no idea what the pony equivalent would be here. Maybe webisodes?

Finally, I'm going to offer a very counter intuitive piece of advice. Screw the fans. Seriously. Don't tie yourself down to what the franchise used to be, or fixate on a couple of aesthetic elements or concepts. There is literally NO WAY you will satisfy people just by remaking the same show or game. Focus on making it good, not being loyal to the legacy of previous titles.

Honestly, I shudder to think of the reception the inevitable G5 pony cartoon will get when it comes out a few years after G4 is finally put down for good. Because you KNOW there will be bronies hoping that lightning will strike twice. But I can practically guarantee that it won't. But Hasbro will make it anyway because it'll still sell toys, the entire point of this exercise in the first place.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why I often find myself stomping on anyone wanting to dig too deep into ponies. The seeds are there, we just seem to mostly know to confine them to our own activities. Well mostly...

No Trixie/Gilda/Chrysalis/etc does not need to reappear, Discord should come back but only for the meta-reasons, no the story telling does not need to be all that complex. Yadda yadda and so on.

Though I don't know if he makes the case that the Sonic Fandom is the worst. Like he said most fanbases are pretty wretched hives of scum and villainy. What I find amusing is that they all seem to want the same damn thing. Bigger, more mature, drama, intrigue, epic action, more mature, big epic villains, more mature and so forth.

And I think the current state of video games as a medium demonstrates the results of when this is catered too. Is it just me or are Assasin's Creed, Halo, and GTA more alike then Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, I like really in depth backstories, so I almost always end up wanting the history of whatever story I am reading/watching to be explained. Heck, I used to read campaign settings for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #1090

Hi guys, I got into this show because I'm a big Doctor Who fan and I was surprised there was a pony version of him running about, so I got on YouTube. Now I love every single part of it.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Well, I like really in depth backstories, so I almost always end up wanting the history of whatever story I am reading/watching to be explained. Heck, I used to read campaign settings for fun.
    Its one thing to have it, but its another thing to assume its the only thing.

I'm finding there's a certain geek cliche expectation that wants everything to be the unholy love child of Tolkien's worldbuilding, Death Note's "intrigue" and "intelligence", and a Rambo (or other 80s) testosterone movie. Or something like that, unless its supposed to be funny then its supposed to be all that and like South Park taking shrooms. Maybe not the best examples, but I find I can anticipate people's fanon or "should have been" style arguments at lot these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Solomon View Post
    Hi guys, I got into this show because I'm a big Doctor Who fan and I was surprised there was a pony version of him running about, so I got on YouTube. Now I love every single part of it.
    Heh welcome to the Herd.

And you aren't alone in liking the Doctor around here. I actually came here when I finished NuWho to talk about it. (Liked 9 didn't like his haircut too much, loved 10 best, think 11 could be as good but has weak material)

12. - Top - End - #1092

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Which is why I often find myself stomping on anyone wanting to dig too deep into ponies. The seeds are there, we just seem to mostly know to confine them to our own activities. Well mostly...

No Trixie/Gilda/Chrysalis/etc does not need to reappear, Discord should come back but only for the meta-reasons, no the story telling does not need to be all that complex. Yadda yadda and so on.

Though I don't know if he makes the case that the Sonic Fandom is the worst. Like he said most fanbases are pretty wretched hives of scum and villainy. What I find amusing is that they all seem to want the same damn thing. Bigger, more mature, drama, intrigue, epic action, more mature, big epic villains, more mature and so forth.

And I think the current state of video games as a medium demonstrates the results of when this is catered too. Is it just me or are Assasin's Creed, Halo, and GTA more alike then Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid.
    I find it hilarious when I hear things like: "Wouldn't it be awesome if Chrysalis and Discord and Trixie all returned in one episode and we found out where they'd been all this time and then they'd fight?"

No. No it would not. It would be the most disjointed, overburdened episode ever written and you'd all be bitching about how rushed it felt 30 seconds after it ended. Leave the writing to the people who are good enough at it to write for a living.

I'll give you the Assassin's Creed/GTA similarities, if only because they're mission based open worlds, but I would never mistake one of them for Halo.

As for Nintendo, Mario gets a pass because all the main series titles he gets put in are absolutely top notch, and he's a total blank slate. But the last Metroid game that came out was Other M, and the last Zelda game I really loved was Okami so I wouldn't say they're doing so hot either.

OK, OK, Wind Waker was pretty awesome. But I haven't played Skyward Sword and had no love for Twilight Princess, despite being named after the best pony.

Funnily enough he just got an official name today: Time Turner. But he'll always be Doctor Whooves to us.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-07-01 at 02:44 AM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

13. - Top - End - #1093

Yeah, that's kinda how it happens. If you are open to it, I would highly recommend diving into some of the Doctor Whooves fan-fictions all around the place. Many are simply amazing at catching 10(The one most say the pony is based upon) in his personality, or creating a new personality (ya know, new regeneration, new personality and all that). If this seems interesting to you I could probably dredge up some of the stories I've read and enjoyed in the past.

On that sonic article, I find it interesting how I seem to be unusual compared to the other fans. Being a huge fan of Sonic Adventure 2 (which apparently had some major hate) and the portables. Like everyone else, I have an idea of what would save sonic which is probably seen as wrong to half of their fandom. Sonic was built around going fast, and should probably try and make things based upon that.

Anyone know any good sonic crossover fanfiction? I can only think of the one with robotnik/eggman/whats-his-name ending up in equestria(Can't remember it's name).

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Funnily enough he just got an official name today: Time Turner. But he'll always be Doctor Whooves to us.
    Obviously he just got better with names, I mean obviously John Smith couldn't possibly work as a name in equestria, well unless if they are a blacksmith or something. Actually it works quite well with The Doctor in my opinion.
    Last edited by Strife Warzeal; 2012-07-01 at 03:00 AM.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

14. - Top - End - #1094

And with that, I think it's about time someone made an MLP/Doctor Who/Harry Potter crossover. Just to see how it comes out.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-07-01 at 02:57 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    Obviously he just got better with names, I mean obviously John Smith couldn't possibly work as a name in equestria, well unless if they are a blacksmith or something.
    all we'd need is to see him working on a toilet.
    yes, im terrible
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

I have to admit, they did manage to get a nice little shout-out in his description.

Have some random gifs!
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I have to admit, they did manage to get a nice little shout-out in his description.
    ...I love Hasbro. These cards are such an awesome tribute to the fandom, but they're all stealth puns. Like saying that Sea Serpent has a "magnetic" personality. Well done, folks, well done.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You know, I actually really like the name Time Turner for him. It sounds more like an actual pony name.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure it will be there. Otherwise we might have to get together a our torches and pitchforks and go all 1699 on that plot.
    1699? I don't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    And with that, I think it's about time someone made an MLP/Doctor Who/Harry Potter crossover. Just to see how it comes out.
    Hermione loses the Time-Turner and tries to recover it with an Accio spell. Instead she brings Doctor Whooves and Derpy via interdimensional rift. Whooves would like to get home in time for tea and muffins, but first he has to resolve the timey wimey shenanigans that the stolen Time-Turner is causing in Hogwarts! Who is the mysterious culprit? Will Whooves ever return to Equestria? What will Snape think of his new yellow-maned Potions student?

Or something.

I really, really want to like this series, but outside of occasional flashes of brilliance, I don't find it all that funny. It's definitely worth watching for things like Pinkie's songs and Sweetie Bot and a few other really good gags, but the rest of it.... I dunno. Most of the material is juuuust so slightly off that what should be great jokes, aren't. Wish I could put my finger on what it is that does this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    You know, I actually really like the name Time Turner for him. It sounds more like an actual pony name.
    I'm too used to calling him Doctor Whooves to refer to him in any other way, but I agree it's a great name. If I were to refer to him from an (pony) in-character perspective I'd go with Time Turner for sure.
    Truth resists simplicity.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Am I the only one who find most of these to be rather poor? Some of the songs are good, and I love Sweetie Bot, and there are a few other great moments, but in between those moments there are vast stretches of "meh".

This one was particularly bad, I thought. The song is OK, but that was about the only thing I didn't feel wasted my time.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I really, really want to like this series, but outside of occasional flashes of brilliance, I don't find it all that funny. It's definitely worth watching for things like Pinkie's songs and Sweetie Bot and a few other really good gags, but the rest of it.... I dunno. Most of the material is juuuust so slightly off that what should be great jokes, aren't. Wish I could put my finger on what it is that does this for me.
    OK, so I'm not alone.

I think one thing that gets me about Friendship is Witchcraft is how most of it is exactly like the real episode, or only very slightly changed. Some of the lines are taken completely verbatim, even. It makes it feel like things don't really fit, like they're forcing their story to fit someone elses' narrative framework. I find myself wishing they'd do more cutting and pasting together the episode in creative ways to fit what story they want to tell.

Like, what they seem to do is start with the animation and then fit the story around that, what would be better would be start with the story you want to tell and make the animation fit that.

Timmy Turner?

I don't put much stock in the names they put on toys and other merchandise, there are enough reasons to believe there's not much communication between the toy department and the people who make the show. Until the name is used in the show I like to just ignore it. Although I don't really have a problem with this one, in fact I think I prefer it over any blatant Dr. Who reference.

21. - Top - End - #1101

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Am I the only one who find most of these to be rather poor? Some of the songs are good, and I love Sweetie Bot, and there are a few other great moments, but in between those moments there are vast stretches of "meh".

This one was particularly bad, I thought. The song is OK, but that was about the only thing I didn't feel wasted my time.

OK, so I'm not alone.

I think one thing that gets me about Friendship is Witchcraft is how most of it is exactly like the real episode, or only very slightly changed. Some of the lines are taken completely verbatim, even. It makes it feel like things don't really fit, like they're forcing their story to fit someone elses' narrative framework. I find myself wishing they'd do more cutting and pasting together the episode in creative ways to fit what story they want to tell.

Like, what they seem to do is start with the animation and then fit the story around that, what would be better would be start with the story you want to tell and make the animation fit that.
    [/concurage]

Mentally Abridged and RBD Presents (new episode of that too by the way) are far superior.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

[/concurage]

Mentally Abridged and RBD Presents (new episode of that too by the way) are far superior.
    Ooh, I remember the Mentally Abridged one. Had some weak parts too, probably unavoidable, but I remember liking it a lot. Looks like I missed the latest episode.

Don't think I've seen much of RBD Presents... Looks like I've been missing out

23. - Top - End - #1103

Ooh, I remember the Mentally Abridged one. Had some weak parts too, probably unavoidable, but I remember liking it a lot. Looks like I missed the latest episode.

Don't think I've seen much of RBD Presents... Looks like I've been missing out
    A simple summation of Rainbow Dash presents is take the fics that are very well known among the fandom(Cupcakes, Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla Rainbow Factory, Bubbles), for gore/horrible-ness generally, and making a complete joke out of them while still getting the point of the story across.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

A simple summation of Rainbow Dash presents is take the fics that are very well known among the fandom(Cupcakes, Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla Rainbow Factory, Bubbles), for gore/horrible-ness generally, and making a complete joke out of them while still getting the point of the story across.
    I remember a Rainbow Factory song. Their RD is so cute it hurts, the way they draw and voice her ^^ I'm going to have to find the time to watch them all. Any particular one I should start with?

25. - Top - End - #1105

I remember a Rainbow Factory song. Their RD is so cute it hurts, the way they draw and voice her ^^ I'm going to have to find the time to watch them all. Any particular one I should start with?
    I started with Cupcakes, then Rainbow Factory Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla and then all the rest. I feel like that's generally the best note to start the series on.

26. - Top - End - #1106

Oh god. I love This fanfic so much.

It's too perfect. Makes cloud kicker best pony forever and ever.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Troll in the Playground

That makes a good deal of sense to me. The best jokes do seem to show up when they make larger breaks from the original plot.
    Truth resists simplicity.

28. - Top - End - #1108

I'm going to back Thanqol and say cupcakes is a good place to start. If you haven't already I'd suggest watching Mentally Abridged because they share continuity (sort of), though Rainbow Dash Presents voice I like more. It helps for characterizations such as Thrackorzod(sp?) and Celestia.
    Last edited by Strife Warzeal; 2012-07-01 at 05:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground

*Is still a Sonic fan*

On that sonic article, I find it interesting how I seem to be unusual compared to the other fans. Being a huge fan of Sonic Adventure 2 (which apparently had some major hate) and the portables. Like everyone else, I have an idea of what would save sonic which is probably seen as wrong to half of their fandom. Sonic was built around going fast, and should probably try and make things based upon that.

Anyone know any good sonic crossover fanfiction? I can only think of the one with robotnik/eggman/whats-his-name ending up in equestria(Can't remember it's name).
    I also enjoyed the SA series, and SA2 in particular. Sonic Heroes was okay. SatAM continuity was my favourite, also have a large collection of the Archie comics.

The only Sonic/MLP fic I know of to make it past the pre-readers was that one, sorry! Maybe someone here should take up the call?

The idea of a roboticised pony gives me the shudders, though.

Greetings!

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: And yes, it is most definitely a herd out there O_o;;

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

Finally, I'm going to offer a very counter intuitive piece of advice. Screw the fans. Seriously. Don't tie yourself down to what the franchise used to be, or fixate on a couple of aesthetic elements or concepts. There is literally NO WAY you will satisfy people just by remaking the same show or game. Focus on making it good, not being loyal to the legacy of previous titles.
    You're not the first to give this advice, but you're in good company with Steve Jobs. I pretty much agree as well. People don't know what they want. If you really want to do something well, you have to put in the effort to figure out what people want (which requires thinking, not market surveys) and then tell them why they want it in a way that's convincing.

Honestly, I shudder to think of the reception the inevitable G5 pony cartoon will get when it comes out a few years after G4 is finally put down for good. Because you KNOW there will be bronies hoping that lightning will strike twice. But I can practically guarantee that it won't. But Hasbro will make it anyway because it'll still sell toys, the entire point of this exercise in the first place.
    Slightly bigger lesson from this. Follow the people, not the brand. A brand is just a developed property. If you're lucky, the brand comes with nice art and maybe a particular theme (as with the Sonic article presenting him as "cool" and ponies always going to be about cute, somewhat girly things). Whereas people that are passionate about what they do and are skilled artisans will make cool stuff pretty much wherever they go.

Welcome to the herd. Pull up a seat, enjoy the unique brand of ponysanity this thread offers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    *Is still a Sonic fan*

I also enjoyed the SA series, and SA2 in particular. Sonic Heroes was okay. SatAM continuity was my favourite, also have a large collection of the Archie comics.
    I concur actually, I thought SA2 was the best one, although I've only played a few sonic games. Might be the age though. I was 15 when I bought it, which was just on the side of slightly too old yet secretly being able to be influenced by this stuff. Also I still think it has good music, independent of the game itself.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)