Default The Merfolk

The Merfolk
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Merfolk
    *Monstrous Humanoid [Aquatic] / [Water]
    *+4 Dex. (Female: +2 Cha, -2 Con.) (Male: +2 Con, -2 Cha)
    *Medium As a medium creature, Merfolk have no benefits or penalties to size.
    *Merfolk have a Swim speed of 120ft, they do not have a land speed.
    *Aquatic Body: Merfolk can breath water as well as air. Once per day, per 4HD, the Merfolk can act as though Hasted for 1round/2 HD.
    Merfolk cannot function properly on land without aid. A merfolk without landspeed cannot stand upright without having to balance on their tail which is less then easy for them. They are always considered flat-footed without landspeed.
    *Speak with Animals: All merfolk can speak and communicate with aquatic animals as if they were intelligent creatures with an intelligence of 8.
    *Aquatic Traits: Merfolk are all connected to one species of aquatic animal that determines a special ability and appearance. No two merfolk look exactly alike, and can appear to be completely different species at times because of their affinity towards a certain kind of undersea creature. It is up to the player to decide the specific appearance of the character in relation with their linked creature. Females rarely have characteristics of their linked creature above the hips, but such does often effect hair and eye color, as well as having a small impact on facial structure. Males are generally wholly effected by their link, both in upper and lower torso.
    All Merfolk lack legs.
    Merfolk can select one special ability of the linked creature, such as poison if the linked creature has it. The ability is then recreated by your DM (Or post the request here) to suit a player character.
    There are three types of lower bodies:
    Tentacles: Tentacles. The merfolk with tentacles has -30ft swim speed, and gains a 30ft land speed. She can use her tentacles to provide a +10 to grapple rolls. Octopuses or Squids, and Jellyfish can grant Tentacles.
    Fish Tail: The standard. Fish tails grant +30ft swim speed over the given swim speed, and a +2 to bluff and diplomacy against people who would find it appealing, such as most human sailors. Most creature affinities grant Fish Tails.
    Great Tail: A large, thick lower body that usually has multiple fins. No change to swim speed. You have a +5 to resist being pushed or pulled. You have a +2 to intimidate checks. Whale affinities typically grant Great Tail, but can sometimes simply grant Fish Tail and a larger size category.
    *Summon Bubble: Female: You can summon a large bubble that you can sit on. It hovers, ignoring difficult terrain and caltrops, providing a 20ft land speed. The Bubble can be popped if it takes 1 or more damage, it uses 1/2 your dexterity modifier and uses your deflection modifier if you have them. But does not otherwise have any defense of its own. It bursts automatically if targeted with a fire or electric spell, or if within 5ft of an open fire larger then 5ft. Bubbles cannot be summoned in hot environments, such as in a desert. Male merfolk cannot summon bubbles.
    Last edited by Cipherthe3vil; 2012-06-28 at 11:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thumbs up Re: The Merfolk

This is an interesting take on the race. It'd be hard to integrate into an average campaign, but would be pretty cool for a high seas or undersea campaign. Allows for a lot of versatility without having to include several different races in your undersea campaign.

I'll say that the swim speed seems a little high. The bubble thing for females is interesting, but I think you could do without it and just give females access to the same affinities as males. Also, the lower and more uniform you can keep the LA, the smoother they'll function in a party together, so smoothing out the affinities and getting their power level pretty close would be a step in the right direction.

Im interested to see how this turns out. I'll be watching.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Merfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrick View Post
    This is an interesting take on the race. It'd be hard to integrate into an average campaign, but would be pretty cool for a high seas or undersea campaign. Allows for a lot of versatility without having to include several different races in your undersea campaign.

I'll say that the swim speed seems a little high. The bubble thing for females is interesting, but I think you could do without it and just give females access to the same affinities as males. Also, the lower and more uniform you can keep the LA, the smoother they'll function in a party together, so smoothing out the affinities and getting their power level pretty close would be a step in the right direction.

Im interested to see how this turns out. I'll be watching.

Thanks. I opened the traits, all it took was changing one word XD
    The Swim Speed seems to be perfect at the moment. As I haven't seen any other aquatic creature with more. The intention is that Merfolk are the fastest creatures in the sea.

I don't know what you mean about the LA.
    Its kind of a flustercluck right now. I can't find too many aquatic creatures with their own traits and all that, so the few I could find seem to be rather diverse in power level. Even though they are very low in CR...

I could perhaps just remove the idea of categorizing them, and instead make a pool of traits and possible types of creatures that would possess them... hm...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

smile Re: The Merfolk

I could perhaps just remove the idea of categorizing them, and instead make a pool of traits and possible types of creatures that would possess them... hm...
    I like this idea. What I meant by smoothing out the LAs was to make all the racial variants have the same or very close to the same LA rather than having some at +0 and another all the way up around +3. I mean, you dont have to even them out of course, having a wide range of power levels in the same race is cool in its own right, but it makes it easier on the DM when everyone is roughly the same power level. It's just a matter of personal preference really.

As for finding abilities, they dont all have to be from animals, just make up a few that go along with the mermaid mythos. An alluring song effect, able to make fog clouds or otherwise effect the weather in minor ways, electrical damage, a bite attack, grant water breathing to others for set amounts of time, or maybe even some enchantment/illusion magic would work nicely.

You might even consider making a short (3-5 levels) monster class or paragon class that gets more stuff as it levels to build on a more "basic" mermaid race.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Merfolk

If a creature is from the Elemental Plane of Water it should get the Water Subtype, otherwise it would get the Aquatic Subtype.

The Water Subtype allows it to breathe both water and usually air. It doesn't need a special ability to breathe both.

If it has the Aquatic Subtype, it breathes only water unless it also has the Amphibious Special Ability.

Special Abilities ALWAYS have a designator (Ex, Sp, or Su)

3.5 and Pathfinder sometimes use different rules. Which one is this for?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either.

Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

I've got a red pen and I'm not afraid to use it.

my creations

Thanks Gurgleflep for my new avatar!