New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: All-Voldur campaign (IC)

Klar'ith holds the light stone up to some daggers for a closer look, "Aye, this is good work", though he leaves unsaid "for a drunken dwarf who sleeps all day".

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another on the Diplomacy check (1d20)[7]
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Dwarf grumbles something in a different language under his breath, then says to Shanar, "I didn't take ye for the paladin-type. I know ev'ry single person in Birch, and not one of 'em would steal from me. Can't say 'bout you Voldur, though."

He listens to Harfil's compliments and polite words for a minute, Klar'ith interjecting on his fellow Voldur's behalf. At the end, the Dwarf actually smiles slightly, raising the mug from the wooden bench beside him, "Sorry 'bout that, the bein' rude. Y'see, I stayed up all night on the forge with some drink, somethin' I like to do, and come daybreak I finally came in for a nap. I'm a bit grumpy when short on sleep." His eyes look less distrusting, "Maybe you Voldur aren't so bad. I'll talk about me work any time. I go by Rhokag these days."
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Klar'ith shakes the dwarf by the hand, "Rhokag, clearly dwarven diligence is all we've heard it to be and more. Tell me, are you building that great war machine outside to defend this town against the goblins?" He gestures in the direction of the catapult, "We have come to rid this place of the menace of goblins and their poisonous kind. He makes introductions all round and tries to turn the conversation to that of goblins, the threat to Birch and about the Lady Thyri.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information (1d20)[12]
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64

"Indeed I am," Rhokag responds proudly, smiling for the first time. "That thing's a hobby of mine. I keep it disassembled for easy maintenance, but given a few minutes warnin' I can slap 'er together. With a few helpin' hands and a few days, I reckon I could build a second. Got the materials. Problem is, it's useless unless against a large force, and the few attacks lately have been just a handful.

"As for Birch's problems, well..."
    he pauses, scratching his braided red beard. "I dunno it's my place to tell you, but... Sasha's gone missing. Lady Thyri's daughter. She's sent men in to get 'er back, but they come back empty-handed, if at all. Truth be told the little pests have attacked more often lately, but nothin' we can't handle, not with Mansour. Lady Thyri needs some folk with the know-how of how to get her daughter back." Rhokag pauses again. "If she's alive," the Dwarf mutters.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2012-07-02 at 12:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Fuming just a little at his reckless behavior earlier Jeor suddenly pays attention, his interest piqued by the talk of goblins and 'hunting' them down.

"Well now" he says after the dwarf is finished. "Just so happens that hunting Goblins is my specialty", he is leaning on his glaive once more in the casual way of men at arms who hold polearms all day do.

"Where were the goblins seen last? Maybe I can pick up their scent while the rest of you are talking to the lady.....Volskan, Shanar. Wanna come?"

He stands up straight awaiting eagerly to hear from the dwarf the location of the last attack.

Spoiler
    Show

He is quite literally an expert, having favored enemy: Goblinoid.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #66

Rhokag eyes Jeor's glaive with approval, either at the Voldur's words or the weapon itself. "If you mean the Goblins that took Sasha, nobody knows. They didn't come here and kidnap her, oh no. Sasha went huntin' 'em and never came back. Half of us think she's dead, but maybe they know she's valuable, know she's Lady Thyri's daughter. This's been a good week and a half now."

He vaguely gestures to the south, "Regardin' the last attack, the town guard's pretty good about those. They keep a buildin' south of the Delnac manned at all hours. When the Goblins come, they run up, raisin' the alarm. The Goblins didn't even get this side of the river."
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Shanar nodded and moved her hand to her kukri's hilt, at her waist. "If you can find them, then let's go."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding back he moves to go to the spot indicated.

"I shall find them as long as the winter is cold and summer warm, you others should go to the lady with haste, I'm sure she'll be happy to know someone is here to look for her daughter."

He walks out the building and turns back to Volskan, "You coming?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

He would listen and pay attention he did not say much all this time but he was paying attention and was ready to defend his Voldur brethren should it be needed. He followed watching as they moved and spoke to a dwarf and listened what was said keeping to himself as he had a bad run in during his time training with a dwarf that made it best for him stay quiet not speak to this man. He would walk out of the build after hearing jeor speak to him and smirked “it would be best I go with yea I am finding it Hard be in presence of that dwarf it would be like old times” he would state to the older ranger that was one got him into the rangers and was reason he meet his mentor. He would follow Joer stretching a little bit diplomacy and being in a town was not really his thing.
    Last edited by niw18; 2012-07-03 at 01:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Klar'ith watches some of the voldur leave and turns back to the dwarf, "We thank you kindly for your hospitality, good Rhokag. Build that second catapult. I sense trouble on the wind." With that he hurries after the others. "Is it wise to split our forces so soon or to seek the enemy without scouting the terrain first?"

When Klar'ith catches up he lists off the important points as he sees them,Goblins have been raiding Birch according to rumour, to guardsman Bert and smith Rhokag.
    Birch has been sending scouts to watch for goblin raiding parties.
    Birch has a building south of the river Delnac to raise the alarm and some inadequate defences including a half built catapult.
    Lady Thyri is in charge of Birch.
    Sasha is Lady Thyri's daughter and she has been killed or captured by the goblins in a skirmish a week and a half ago.
    We have a location for a recent attack where we can start tracking the goblins.
    We do not know the goblin numbers, their attack patterns, if there are any goblin prisoners that we could question, why they are targeting Birch, or what the reward is that we can expect for slaying goblins and for rescuing Sasha. We don't even know what Sasha looks like.
    Please friends, let us speak with Lady Thyri first, get all the information that we need and then look for the goblins.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Borkan was just observing the conversation in silence, normally being the silent type. As they were beginning to leave though, Klar'ith had spoken up with his words. After listening, Borkan nodded in agreement, saying, "I agree, we should know more before we rush off. Let us meet with Lady Thyri first before we rush off anywhere."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elhand - The King's Dilemma
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign
    Tamni'el - Kingdom of Arim

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Jeor looks to the others and smiles,

"I don't want to go after, the goblins, just catch their trail and be ready while you all go talk to the lady. And then when you're done, we can go post haste." he shrugs his shoulders, "but if you don't want us to split I can see the logic in that, lead the way to this ladies house."

He wasn't all to pleased about having to go along with the group, social interactions always made him feel awkward, so he always tried to avoid them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Harfil grunts his approval.
    "We need information. The lady will have some but current locations of the enemy is very useful. Best if you get a starting point for your tracking first though.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Klar'ith is pleased that his words have helped, "If anyone in Birch has any sense perhaps they have already tracked these goblins and can save us some work." He strides purposefully to Lady Thyri's home.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

As the party heads a short distance west, they quickly find themselves before their destination. Bert was right by calling Lady Thyri's house large, at least by local standards. It's one of the only two-story buildings in Birch and wide enough to warrant two walkways leading to its pair of double doors, remarkably unguarded. More surprisingly, all the doors are slightly ajar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the friendly encounter with Rhokag, everyone gets experience as though overcoming a lone CR 3 dude (doubled, so 300 exp per person).
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

At the sight of seeing the doors slightly opened, Borkan felt like there would be trouble here. He doesn't quite know why, but he just felt as if something was wrong here. *The doors are open... And no one is around... Might be best to stay on guard...* he thought to himself, just in case anything bad did occur.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elhand - The King's Dilemma
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign
    Tamni'el - Kingdom of Arim

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Remembering the incident with the dwarf Klar'ith wonders if perhaps the people of Birch all leave their doors open all the time. *...Very trusting if they do...* Yet he also remembers the lessons of his Clan when raiding kobolds and other tricky enemies: "If it looks too inviting then it's probably an ambush."

If the Light enchanted stone is still glowing (it lasts for 20 minutes) I grip it tightly in my hand to hide it, if not I just drop it. Then I edge quietly to the open door, using any natural concealment (trees, bushes, statues, etc) to hide me. When I get to the open door I listen and try to see if there is any sign of a struggle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Various rolls as required
    Hide (1d20+2)[6]
    Move Silently (1d20+2)[8]
    Listen (1d20+4)[18]
    Search (1d20+3)[17]
    Spot (1d20+4)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Tightly gripping his glowing stone, Klar'ith sneaks up to the open door, straining his ear to catch whatever he can. There's a masculine voice coming from inside, human-sounding. The man's speaking quietly, though not outright whispering, making it too hard to make out his words.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's only been maybe 5 minutes between talking to Rhokag and walking to the big house, so that stone's got plenty of time left.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Almost every one of the voldur has better skills at stalking prey than Klar'ith, his strengths lie elsewhere. Holding up a finger by his ear to indicate a single voice he points in the direction it is coming from as a signal to the others to move forward. He also forms a mental map of the house from what can be seen from the door and from outside.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Peeking in, Klar'ith sees a fifteen foot hallway with polished wooden floors, at the end a sizable open room. Everything seems high quality, though there aren't an excess of extravagant decorations. In the large open room lies a colorful rug occupying most of the visible floor. A few lights are lit, offering decent illumination, and the parted front doors give a decent breeze.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Jeor Sighs as he sees the group move into action once again, at least it wasn't him this time. He watched as his friend moved to peek into the house as if danger lurked around the corner.

Maybe they all liked a breezy house?

He stood with the others apart from Kla'rith, but when his friend motioned for them to come, he came with haste as quietly as possible.

Leaving his Glaive against the side of the house, he draws his Kukri and handaxe from his belt feeling the weight in his hands. Nodding to Klar'ith he motions to let him go first.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Shanar sighed and walked forward to the house. "Again? We're in a town, not the wild." She rose her fist at one of the doors, knocked hard, and called out, "Is anyone in there? Lady Thyri, are you in there?"
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Several seconds pass after Shanar's query, ending with the sound of heavy footsteps. A middle-aged human male in full plate with a fine bastard sword at his hip opens the doors wide, revealing two more people in armor behind him, a human woman and Half-Orc man. Judging by the first man's higher quality armor, he seems to be their leader.

"Voldur?" the leader asks, not hiding his surprise. However, he seems genuinely surprised rather than disgusted or the like. The same can't be said for the Half-Orc behind him, who openly wears a scowl. Then again, he might be the scowling sort.

The man's intelligent green eyes scan the party one at a time, as though assessing for danger, "Lady Thyri's house is open to all residents of Birch, but may I ask what business you have with her?"
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Shanar focused on the man in the center. "We've got some questions for her, concerning the nearby goblins."
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Harfil bows deeply and looks for any religious symbols on them.
    "Harfil Halfmoon-Bloodaxe at your, and your towns service. I'm here to offer my help against the goblins, as we all are to my knowledge.

26. - Top - End - #86

After a minute of Harfil working his silver tongue, the middle-aged man welcomes the party into the house, “Great, we've been needing some extra hands around here, assuming you're serious. My resources are spread pretty thin as it is making sure the town is defended; I hate to say it, but we don't have the manpower to spare to search the entire Garvius Mountains for Sasha.”

Down a fifteen foot hallway with polished wooden floors, you come to a sizable open room extending, its roof extending up, same as the second floor's. Many of the doors are open and the roof has a large circular window, providing plenty of illumination. A large stairway occupied the center of the northern side of the room, to the right of the hall which the party entered by.

The man shifts his weight slightly, “Right, about Sasha. It's best to meet with Lady Thyri about that. Please wait here a moment.”

The plated captain walks up the stairs, disappearing into a side room and closing the door behind himself. A moment later he reappears, calling down to the party, “Lady Thyri will see you now.”
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

When the captain had left, Shanar took a moment to get herself presentable. When he returned, she followed him to the Lady. She waited until Lady Tyria spoke, to be cordial.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

"Harfil," Klar'ith clangs his full plate for emphasis, "these armoured types seem to like you. If you will speak for us I would grant the blessings of the spirits of home and hearth upon you first. With your permission?" A simple orison of Guidance may improve Harfil's already considerable skills when talking to Lady Thyri.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Harfil stood at ready calming himself to ensure his words were picked well when they would get to see the Lady Thyri. He turns to and speaks in an even tone.
    "I would appreciate the blessings greatly. Perhaps you should tell me more about the spirits later. I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention to that aspect of my training."
    Hearing the call from upstairs, Harfil takes long strides to the room Lady Thyri is waiting in. Once in he steps to the side and bows.

30. - Top - End - #90

The second floor is much as the first, high quality but not showy. Captain Mansour stands beside an open door leading to one of the smaller rooms, most of its furnishings a small square wooden table and four matching chairs, two off to the side near a short bookshelf. The table has a map on it, its corners held down by four bland stones.

The woman, an attractive brunette, partially leaning over the table must be Lady Thyri. Similar in style to her house, she wears fine clothes, but nothing gaudy. Keeping one hand on the map, she fully stands and offers a smile, “I am Lady Thyri. Captain Mansour informs me you may be able to help us. I hate to be so abrupt, but before we go any further I have to ask: are you serious about helping us?”
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ