New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Infernion

The red looks around at the mix of disgust and astonishment of his cold blooded killing. "I, as well as the rest of you received instructions from Metherna. I do not presume to know what she told you, but I am mearly following the commands of my patron. Would you do any less?"

He pauses and looks at each in turn.

"let us finish our mission." he says, and strides through the door, while smoke still rises from the burnt out body.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

yuk Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Mai-Sal Stormchaser

Mai had been following the others toward the door, but stopped suddenly and turned, intending to offer Arien a chance to redeem herself by helping in the fight against the devils, only to witness something devilish right here and now. Frantically she searched her mind for a spell that would put a stop to this madness, but it was too late, the mercenary's soul-scream shattering any hope of saving her.

After the initial shock, Mai's shoulders slumped a bit, but other than her electrified, intensely searching eyes--studying not just Infernion but the others in the group--she remained calm and motionless. That is until the dragon-man attempted to justify himself.

"If Metherna's orders included that, I wonder why she hasn't allied with your namesake," she said slowly, deliberatively, as though trying to rein in the storm raging behind her words. Regardless, she still goes through the door, albeit the very last to do so.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-09-14 at 12:06 AM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

When the burnt body of the woman hit the floor, Ewin took the hand off the hilt of his sword. The sudden act of his draconic companion had surprised even him, although not necessarily in a bad way.
    Always nice to have someone else do your job. At least I don't have to clean my blade, he thought. "Even though such impulsiveness is a liability."
    He felt no pity for the mercenary, she paid the price for working with devils.
    And so all he did was giving Infernion the slightest of nods, grabbing his shield tighter and moving through the doorway, still hungry for more answers.
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

After the excitement of the execution of the prisoner, you all step through the door, and right as the last of you step through, you look back and clearly see the room on the other side and the glow of the runes. The runes dissipate as the last of you, Mai, enter the door, but you all can still see on the other side, dead cultists and mercs here and there, and the smoking remains of Arien. In front of you is a hallway that goes down about twenty feet. Nothing seems to be in between you and it. This hallway, however, seems to be made out of stone........stone bricks even.......almost as if it were built.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok Dak made a perception check (which I haven't forgotten about) which I am sending to him now. Everyone else can make a perception check, along with one other skill check of which they would like to get info from.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-09-14 at 02:57 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

5. - Top - End - #275
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Arya

Not less...but probably do it better. Arya watched Mai and Infernion as they seemed to judge each other. As Mai crossed the doorway Arya switched his attention to what was ahead. Dead end. Right. No one puts runes like that around a portal that leads no where. Walking carefully down the length of the hallway Arya keeps his body in contact with the brick wall, sniffing the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+19)[26] looking for secret doors.
    Dungeoneering (1d20+12)[23] trying to determine the air flow. Assuming the air comes in from the doorway, where does it go?
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Trying to focus on the task at hand, Mai scrutinizes the layout of the hallway, its structure, the one-way mirror of a door they just passed through, and other factors, comparing it to what she knows of devils' lairs and other such places to try to get a sense of what to expect ahead.

Spoiler
    Show

Dungeoneering to understand this location: (1d20+15)[28]
    Insight into the devils' intent in setting this up: (1d20+21)[33]

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

The barbarian watched the mercenary guard hit the ground, burnt out, without comment, following the rest through the gate. He was already starting to regret signing up for this.

The bizarre architecture failed to surprise him after what he has just seen. Expectations have been...adjusted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+10)[11]
    History - (1d20+6)[11]

8. - Top - End - #278

PirateCaptain

Infernion

At least the tiefling did not give me grief over the kill. I would hope his kind would understand.....
    ....Where in the hells is this hallway?...Where in the Hells indeed?

Infernion casts about with his eyes but more importantly his arcane senses. Could this be an illusion, could they have literally stepped into hell? Or is this just a dead end because they didn't open the door correctly?

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+14)[12](26) Are we still on the Material plane? Are we seeing anything that is an illusion?
    Perception: (1d20+5)[4](9)
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-09-15 at 12:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279

The rest of the group finds Dak already in the hallway scratching his head in befuddlement. No traps, friends!! But hard stone...who made? WHO made? he chanted as he touched his cheek to the ground, seeing if he could unlock this new puzzle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana to see if an enchantment is clouding our vision in some way and/or sensing of magic: (1d20+17)[35]
    Dungeoneering to see if any areas of the wall are weak: (1d20+15)[24]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-09-15 at 12:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"This is in fact a room, I think. Some of these bricks are magic, not all. I cannot pinpoint them though. Little man, Dak, thats you name right? Your seem good at this. Can you find the right ones?"
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-09-15 at 12:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Everyone stands in the room, looking at it, trying to figure out its secrets, when you hear a voice. You all seem not to notice it at first, really. More like a faint whisper that you aren't really conscious of at first. Then it starts to get a little bit louder, and then a little bit louder. And the minutes pass, you all look around at each other, wondering if it is one of you that is, in fact, whispering and talking and getting on each others nerves, bu no ones mouths are moving. When the whispering starts to get a little louder, you notice that the voice is starting to take shape now. It is an airy, dark voice that seems to set hairs (for those of you that have them) on the back of your next on end. Then the words start to take shape, speaking of horrible things from your past, things no one could possibly know about. You hear it speak of your worst fears come true, the very deepest, darkest parts of your soul seems to come out and become real in your head.......
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-09-15 at 12:33 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

"This is... ancient. Not just that, it's the finest stonecraft I have ever seen. No dwarf could ever dream of setting an angle so consistently perfect," Mai whispered, almost in awe of the workmanship. "And if no dwarf could've made it..."

She trailed off, leaving unasked the natural follow-up question.

The disembodied whispering that soon followed threatened to break her concentration.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana on the walls, specifically whether they're enchanted or otherwise magically constructed: (1d20+19)[22]
    History on just how ancient this place might be, or what's comparable to it: (1d20+19)[21]

Whoops, sorry you must've posted that while I was typing that up. Oh well, crappy rolls anyway.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-09-15 at 01:04 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283

Dak find magic bricks! he giddily said in an almost childlike voice. Pulling the tiefling along by the hand, he stopped along the far wall, pointing out a handfull of peculiar areas along the back portion of the wall. Speak dark words once more? as he motioned for Ewin to touch the bricks. It was Dak's only idea...
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-09-15 at 03:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284

Arya

The wolf turns his head slightly to the left, his ears perked up. As the whispers become intelligible he sits down on his haunches and leans against the wall, his mouth split into a grin that's hard to interpret. The wolf shakes his head and huffs once, then quickly begins to change back to the drow; Arya rests on the floor, his back to the wall, one knee propped up. He chuckles as he looks up around him. "Really? I know you're demon worshipers, but try and be smart about things." He says to the empty air around him.

"You don't think that I haven't had my every worst nightmare pulled from me and brought to life and shown to me by the priestess? They are far more cunning and cruel than any simple demon could be...if you're trying to scare me, you'll have to do better than that." He says and then shakes his head, turns toward Infernion. "And to answer your question, as I couldn't earlier; I might have done less, or more, depending on how much I felt like following orders." He says and stands up. "Which depends on much I think I'll be killed if I don't. But your manner..." He tsks and walks over to the brick that Dak is pointing at. "Your style leaves much to be desired. If you'd like, I could give you some pointers in the finer art of murder, but frankly I'm afraid that they'd be lost on you."

He taps on the brick lightly with his staff and listens to the sound, then turns towards the group. "Oh, also. The air here is...not exactly fresh. It's certainly not coming from that door we walked through."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

15. - Top - End - #285

PirateCaptain

Infernion

As Infernion is drawn into his head his scaled body slumps onto its haunches, the powerful legs folding like a dog's.

In his mind he is shrinking back to the pathetic Kobold he was before Infernus uplifted him. Despite all the horrors Infernion has seen and committed, he is eternally grateful to Infernus for that one thing. To be small and weak again is Infernion's absolute worst fear. He would do anything to avoid that humiliation again.

Outwardly he moans and hisses. His wings are limp and he rocks back and forth obsessively. His eyes are open but distant and clearly not seeing the present.

He does not see the Druid change again, nor does he give any indication that he heard his words.
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-09-16 at 12:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

Kadaith staggers to the nearest wall, leaning against it for support. The ghosts of those he had killed have come seeking vengeance, seeking his blood. No, that wasn't right. This was magical illusion. A test, a trick by the worshippers of evil. But that wasn't right either, was it? He could see the the dead before him, backing him against the wall, their lifeless eyes staring at him demanding an answer. He couldn't move as their teeth and claws raked against him hungrily, invading his being and drawing the life from him, as though that would bring quench their thirst.

As he fell to the ground in a daze, he saw war taking his people, as they fought against each other, against shapeless monsters, against evil, twisted creatures that wore the skins of men but were filled with nought but darkness, and he momentarily forgot his own predicament. What now?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Not even surprised anymore, Ewin lets the shifty githzerai lead him towards the wall. His eyes try to follow Dak's gestures and to recognize the patterns his companion mentioned, but to his untrained eye it was hard to discern.
    "You do know that I am not exactly fluent in supernal, right? I don't even know if the password would work on..."

His eyes lose focus as the voices in his head became stronger, taking over his thoughts. At first he doesn't realize them to be an outside influence - after all, voices of regret were something he had to deal with every day.
    But visions had never been a part of this.
    He put a hand on Dak's shoulder, leaning heavily onto him and trying to concentrate on the task at hand.
    "Maybe if you could help me with.. wait that's not right."

Reacting to a sound behind him, the tiefling pulls his sword and as he turns around he sees two familiar figures surrounded by devils, reaching out with fiery claws. No. It cannot be. His eyes went wide with horror but he found himself unable to look away.
    "Darion, Melina, run! Get away from them, you abominations!"

Deep down, he was aware that none of this could be real, but the false reality of the situation was too strong to ignore.
    And even though he wanted nothing more than to strike at the creatures, his arm felt heavy and he knew that he wouldn't make it in time..
    Currently playing:

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai was quickly growing furious as she tried to block out the disembodied whisperings and focus on the strange nature of the hall. Once the hushed voices began speaking sinisterly to her of Tortia, that's when the genasi, eyes aflame with lightning once again, finally had enough.

"BE SILENT!" she shouted, and a thunderclap rang out behind her voice, obviously with magical force behind it. "Did you not hear what the lycan just said? Don't be stupid! You think I haven't lived with my powerlessness and hypocrisy every single day since our coup failed three years ago? You think my master hasn't drilled the terrible truth into me that we'll never be free? And even if we were free, what then? What would become of us without her? Fodder for their hunger, no doubt. You think I don't know all of this already?! Show yourselves and face us like men, or leave us in peace and disturb us no further!"

Spoiler
    Show

Using Spook (Arcana as Intimidate) for effect with her shout: (1d20+19)[25]

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

The few that have escaped the whispers and visions, whether by sheer force of will or because the horrors in their past have already been shown to them over and over, see those effected most by the voices in their heads and sympathize......or simply look at them and chuckle. Either way, everyone seems affected physically by the voices, you seem stretched thin, tired. Finally, Mai, in all her thunderous glory, yelled out in the room, seemingly frustrated and fed-up with these "voices." And all at once.....they stopped.

Those seeing enemies in front of them suddenly realize they are gone, and those seeing visions, blinding them from what was around them, see the room once again. All of a sudden, all those horrific nightmares are gone....and all that is left, is you.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #290

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Infernion springs up, wings giving a mighty flap. He roars in ultimante frustration. RRRRAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

He pounds on the walls with fists burning bright with green flames.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

Kadaith shakes his head and stands up a little straighter as the roar of the wizard pierced the illusions before him. He was a straightforward man, with few regrets, but those visions...he had seen them elsewhere, in the dark of the night amidst whispers of what has been, what is and what has yet to come. Even if what he saw was no more than a false conjuration, the story behind it was less than comforting.

But the visions were gone now, and the creatures who have played him for a fool shall pay, sooner or later.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Like a thunderclap, the genasi's shout snaps Ewin back into the real world.
    The illusions fade away before his eyes like ash in a gust of wind. A terrified and sorrowful look washes over the paladin's face and the grip on his sword loosens.
    The blade hits the ground with a bright metallic sound, and Ewin takes a few steps back, trying to find a place to lean on - which he finds in poor Dak, who is probably not too happy to have a tiefling clad in heavy plate put his weight onto him.
    He vigorously shakes his head and blinks a couple of times as to clear his head, and then says in a grim voice:
    "This has gone too far. I want their blood and I want their screams, and I will make it long and painful."

He turns towards the wall and instructs the githzerai to show him the different stones again. "These ones you say?"
    With murder in his eyes, he puts the amulet against the stone and repeats the devilish words, hoping it would open this door as well.
    Currently playing:

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Ewin

Frustrated and very angry with these Devils, you check with Dak one more time the position of the special bricks. With great force and emotion behind your words you force the awkward phrase out of your mouth at the wall. For what seems like forever, nothing happens. Then from the floor to the ceiling a giant symbol comes out of the stone and glows a bright red. Ewin can feel actual heat coming off of the symbol, and then the wall seems to explode towards everyone. You all feel heat rush over you, but it doesn't seem to burn you. When you all look up, you see a passage way moving down into the earth, made of the same stone on the walls around you now, with all sorts of words, symbols, and pictures of the walls. (Think Hieroglyphs for the pictures)
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-09-19 at 02:18 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Infernion gets a brief look at the burning symbol, then wraps his wings about himself as the heat wave washes over. Unharmed, he heads straight to the passage and looks in. He quickly examines the pictorial writing, itching to get to what lies further down.
    Spoiler
    Show
    History for the hieroglyphs and the symbol that exploded: (1d20+16)[18](34)
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-09-19 at 08:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"These pictures are incredibly old! The oldest writings I have ever seen. They may predate even Gold Vala."

Infernion, still suspicious of literally walking into one of the hells unaware reaches for the arcane threads around this passage.

Arcana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[20](34)

26. - Top - End - #296

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"I am sure we are not leaving this plane by going down the passage. But down there..." and he points down the hall with a claw. "..Down there is what we were sent for. Something of immense power from another plane lurks there, I can feel I, as I am sure it can feel us."

27. - Top - End - #297

W-what you wait for Dragon? says Dak timidly as he grasps onto Infernion's calf. Clearly wanting to be brave in this instance but lacking the gusto to do so, he takes great efforts to peer down the passageway to see if it looks traversable...

Spoiler
    Show
    Dungeoneering on the passageway to see if it's really deep, if it's climbable up and down, etc: (1d20+15)[18]
    Arcana on the hieroglyphics to see if, through magic, these can be translated: [roll]1d20+17[roll]
    Otherwise, History on them to see if I know how to translate these from my past experiences or learnings: (1d20+17)[36]

28. - Top - End - #298

PirateCaptain

nfernion

"Do you know what traps lie beyond? I do not. I am killer and wielder of power but I am no scout." Infernion pauses and turns to the drow. "Wolf, what can your eyes see?"
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-09-20 at 04:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Arya

"Such compliments. We barely know each other." Arya says to Infernion. "Wait a moment; I'll go and see what may be seen." Arya takes a few steps down the ramp and drops to all fours again, trusting to his wolf senses more than weak elven eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wild Shape into beast form. He'll try and be stealthy while he's exploring.

Stealth (1d20+23)[39]
    Perception (1d20+19)[34]

Also, I'm interested to see if he knows anything about the coup that Mai was screaming about. History (1d20+6)[17]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal Stormchaser

Mai sighed in relief after her little trick worked, and nodded in satisfaction after Ewin again was able to show them the way. She was beginning to feel she'd been suspicious of the wrong teammate. She also checked out the glyphs, mainly to see if she could translate or at least recognize them, before turning her attention to the passageway.

"I'll join you--it may come as a surprise but I can be fairly quiet myself when I choose to, and I'd like to get a better sense for where we are; it certainly doesn't feel like Faerun," she whispered after Arya.

Spoiler
    Show

It's gonna take a few rolls for what she wants to do.

Religion on that giant symbol: (1d20+19)[38]
    History on the hieroglyphs: (1d20+19)[34]
    Stealth: (1d20+18)[23]
    Insight into the creator and purpose of this passage, the way it's hidden and why all the glyphs: (1d20+21)[35]