New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Infernion

Seeing the little man sprint away, Infernion rolls his eyes. Not a chance in the Hells I am dragging this thing out now he thinks to himself. Ignoring the fleeing Dak, Infernion beings to slowly, carefully scoop gold out of the chest and into his bag. When the bag is full he slowly walks up the stairs, careful not to disturb anything.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

The barbarian watched expressionlessly as Infernion and Dak disappeared once again into the cavern. He had been tempted for a brief moment, but he figured that he might was well quit while he was ahead. What he had with him now was more than fair compensation for his efforts.

Opening the chest, Kadaith carefully inspected the contents, or at least he appeared to be. The shapeshifter and the mage were talking. Their politeness and condescension was grating. From the way the two of them talked, it was almost as though he wasn't there. Sometimes, being discounted as dumb muscle does have its advantages. Kadaith was an uncultured man, but he knew from experience that knowing his companions could mean the fine difference between going home to fight for another time and a shallow and unmarked grave. Whatever their flaws, the dragonborn and the small man were true to themselves, and that he approved of. The two before him...not so much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kadaith knows very little about his companions so he'll be watching.

Perception - (1d20+10)[23]

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Dak

After fleeing from the rooms, of which he makes it out, Dak runs back into the room with the others, seemingly unsquished. ()

Infernion and Ewin

Infernion and Ewin scoop as much coin as they can into their packs, and then head out as quietly as they can. As they start going up the stairs to get back up to the hallway, Infernion hears a sound. He looks up to see the crack in the ceiling starting to open wider and some earth starts falling out. Immediately he grabs Ewin and teleports them up the stairs, "RUN!" he growls, and both warriors shoot off down the hallway. As soon as they clear the last illusory door, a big, rolling dust cloud follows them in, blowing dust everywhere. They look at each other, and sigh.

Everyone Else

You see Dak run into the cave, getting out of breath, stopping to rest once he gets into the room. Then you hear it, a low rumble, that seems to get louder and louder....not to mention closer. Then you see Infernion and Ewin run in, packs full, right as a big dust cloud follows them in and envelops everyone for a moment.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #424

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Once the dust cloud settles Infernion speaks up. "This is all we are going to get." says the dragon as he dumps out the gold he managed to salvage.

"I suggest we present ALL of the gold to Metherna and let her dole it out as she sees fit. Dragons like being in control and they like treasure just as much. It never hurts to have the favor of one of the Five behind you, especially since we are all irrevocably sided with her now anyways."

Infernion walks around the treasure slowly, examining the all the items they found. He is particularly interested in the Rod.

"This place seems safe enough now to hole up for the night. Tomorrow we can head back to our mistress and report our success."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

Kadaith frowned at Infernion's words. Well, they did make sense. The others have risked more than him on this journey even if he had his back that had carried out the chest of treasures.

"...And the items? Do we take them? Do we give them to Metherna as well?"

6. - Top - End - #426

PirateCaptain

Infernion

The toothy, crocodile grins spreads on Infernion's face. "Lets see what we have first."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Ewin lets out a dry snicker at Infernion's words. The dust in the air turns the snicker into more of a cough.
    "That we are, aren't we? Irrevocably sided to the silver one?"
    He flexes his shoulders in an futile effort to relax his sore muscles.
    The tiefling continues in a curious voice:
    "You seem strangely alright with the notion of parting with this treasure - for someone with draconic blood, that is."
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

8. - Top - End - #428

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Quote Originally Posted by Ascy View Post
    "You seem strangely alright with the notion of parting with this treasure - for someone with draconic blood, that is."
    "I know my place, knight, that is all. I desire this treasure greatly, that is true, yet I have no illusions that we can hide anything from the great Silver. Our reward will be greater if we pay her respectes, rather then dishonor her with lies, spoken or omitted."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Arya
    He leans forward a bit to watch Mai slip something from one of the bodies into her pocket. Interesting.
    Mai rolled her eyes, shook her head and produced the fingerbone she'd broken off and pocketed.

"The dragonling did what he said he was ordered to do; well so am I: Metherna wanted information, so that's exactly what she'll get," she whisper-yelled, then muttered to herself, "Guess I'm out of practice."

And that's when the "little man" scampers in, followed by Infernion, Ewin and the great cloud of dust in everyone's faces.

"Pffffft!" she blew the dust out of her mouth, then, annoyed, she prestidigitated away that and the rest of the grime from the battle.

"That is the first sensible thing you've said this whole time," she said to Infernion without a hint of sarcasm, responding to what he'd stated about dragons and treasure. Metherna likely wasn't quite as vain about such shiny things as the dragon she knew, but based on what she had seen of Castle Waterdeep it would still be wise to make a full and honest offering. "As I said, I'll do what I can to help identify this stuff, but I still have work to do with these bodies so if you'll excuse me."

Spoiler
    Show

That first part was in keeping with Celtic's ruling on Mai's perception counter-check. And Celtic said it would take her about 40 minutes to gather and burn the bodies, so I don't think nearly that much time would've elapsed between when she started and when the three treasure-hunters came back.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-10-30 at 06:41 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

10. - Top - End - #430
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Arya

Arya coughs once and glares at the dust cloud, willing it to go away and sighing when it doesn't. "Sure, sure. All gold and glory to the wyrm mother." He grins slightly at Infernion. "You have a strange measure of respect. Lying shows you care; telling the truth is an insult. At least where I come from. I'm not familiar with the politics of dragon caves." His eyes glance over to Mai and he shrugs. << "We all serve our purposes. Don't let me interfere with yours. If you require any assistance..." >> he says in Elven.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-10-30 at 07:37 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

11. - Top - End - #431

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    "I'm not familiar with the politics of dragon caves."
    "It is rather simple actually. Age is power, might is power."

12. - Top - End - #432

PirateCaptain

Infernion studies the rod.

Arcana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[28]
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-10-30 at 11:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Mai and Infernion

After Mai's work at burning all the bodies, she sits down for a moment to re-energize herself and gain her composure. As she does, Infernion inspects the rod.
    Infernion(if he discloses what it is publicly, y'all can look):
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know this to be......
    Lifesapper rod +3
    Implement: Rod
    Spoiler
    Show
    Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls
    Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
    Power Daily (Free Action)
    Use this power when you place a Warlock's Curse on a target. The target gains ongoing 3 damage (save ends). Each time the enemy takes ongoing damage from this power, you or one ally within 5 squares of you regains that amount of hit points.
    Level 14: 5 damage.

After Mai finshes up, she looks at the rest of the items, taking her time. Picking one up, moving it around, laying it down, and picking up the next, until she has read all three of them......
    Mai(if she discloses what it is publicly, y'all can look):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, lets say that 1 was for the rod
    "Crown" (Frist Crit)- Turns into a gem once you pick it up and start probing around. You know this as a Gem of Colloquy(Lvl 12) 13,000 gp
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gain a +3 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks. Understand and speak 2 additional languages, chosen at the time of the gem’s creation.

You have heard of this object before, but only in legend. Not because it is a Gem of Colloquy, those are not that rare, but because what it contains as its languages......Supernal and Abyssal. Some have called it the "The Gem of Gods and Demons." No one has ever found it, but it was mentioned here and there through certain types of texts, and hand-me-down stories.

Wand of Wonder - Lvl 12 +3 13,000g
    Spoiler
    Show
    Implement: Wand
    Enhancement Bonus: Attack rolls and damage rolls
    Critical: +1d6 damage per plus. For each of these dice that rolls a 6, teleport the target 1 square. For each of these dice that rolls a 1, teleport yourself 1 square.
    Property
    When you use a daily attack power with this wand, roll a d6 to determine an additional effect, which lasts until the end of your next turn.
    1. You gain a fly speed of 5.
    2. Butterflies create a zone of partial concealment in your space.
    3. You become invisible.
    4. 2d20 fake, brightly colored gems appear in the space of the next target hit by the wand, temporarily creating difficult terrain.
    5. Leaves grow from each target hit by the attack, causing it to be slowed.
    6. You and each target hit by the attack are dazed.

This wand doesn't have a ling backstory, but you do know it to be a very rare wand, esp in the time of chaotic magic that is now.

Shield - This you cannot read. You know it is an intensely powerful object that seems to have Radiant/divine characteristics to it, but beyond that, you aren't sure. The thing you do know, however, is that someone very Holy, and very powerful, owned this shield at some point.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-10-30 at 10:55 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

14. - Top - End - #434

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"Not quite up to what I expected of the devils." Infernion's voice sounds a bit disappointed as he tosses the rod back into the chest. "I hope Metherna likes it."

15. - Top - End - #435

PirateCaptain

"Let me look at the shield Mai" Infernion inspects it a bit. "Bah! blasted divine magics. Obtuse and complicated." He throws the shield down in a huff and stalks off.

Arcana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[15]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dont even have to respond to that one
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-10-30 at 11:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436

"Let Dak try, let Dak try!" he says giddily in anticipation. He's been sitting on his haunches the whole time watching his friends hastily identify the items with such awe that he wasn't sure what to say!

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+17)[31]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-10-31 at 08:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Dak

You hop over to the shield, and the moment you pick it up you can feel its power.
    Dak(Same deal as before):
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel that is has some healing powers as well, some of which seems to emanate from the shield. Though you are able to tell the properties of said shield, you aren't able to tell anything else specific about it.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai's face fills with awe as she handles the magical gemstone. The "words of creation," the Supernal tongue, fill her mind while their dark echoes, Abyssal, constantly underlie them, the two fighting for control--she has to willfully set the item aside (taking great care in doing so), for now at least, until there's more time to contemplate it.

"This...is an amazing thing to find here of all places. It's the Gem of Gods and Demons, long fabled but never found, until now. It contains within its many facets the knowledge of the languages of both angels and demons. I hope Metherna already knows them both..." she trailed off, before resuming her studies and explanations.

"Hmm, a Wand of Wonder. An unusual find, given these chaotic times," she said, regarding the object with some skepticism. "Well, it might be fun at parties."

She carefully sets the wand aside and picks up the rod that Infernion had cast aside, only to set in back down almost immediately--the thing was unreadable to her, filled as it was with pact magic--then set her hands on the shield. She puzzles over it for a while, then sets it aside as well, stumped, only for Infernion and then Dak to snatch it up apparently with equal results.

"Hmph. Well I can tell this much, it is a radiant shield of some sort, and was owned by someone particularly holy--shame for it to be in a place like this," she shuddered, trying not to think about the terrible sacrifices they'd witnessed.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-10-31 at 08:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Mai

As you handle the shield for the second time, using a different method, something about the shield changes. At first it was heavy, as a larger shield should be, but as you hold it and inspect it a second time, it seems to grow lighter in your hands. The old, dented exterior, while still old and dented, shows a symbol. The symbol is of a phoenix standing in a pile of ashes, wings spread out, and the phoenix seems to be on fire.....or rather the fire is coming from it......it is hard to tell which, but if you had to guess, the latter seems more likely. As the symbol starts to grow into existence, you can feel a warmth emanating from it though it doesn't seem to burn you. In fact, it seems to feel you with a wonderful feeling.

Mai:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't know the symbol, nor do you glean any other info from it. But that sutff happens.....so yeah

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai takes in all that she can from the shield--even though she was never much for armaments like these, she could tell it was a relic of some power and import--before setting it aside once again and beckoning to Ewin.

"I can't make sense of the dweomers on this, nor even its device--some old, lost deity perhaps?--but it is a magnificent shield. Perhaps it will reveal its secrets to our resident paladin?" she smiled weakly, before stretching out onto her bedroll. Before long, she was fast asleep, the stress of the day finally catching up to her.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-10-31 at 06:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

You all see Mai lay down and fall fast asleep fairly quickly. This seems like a great idea, considering a lot of you were very close to death today, and you all lay out whatever sleeping objects you have to lay on and fall asleep as well.

The night passes very quickly, and quietly, and before you know it, it is about 9 in the morning. A new day has dawned and you all feel refreshed a revitalized, yet there is something odd that you see when you wake up....a man, standing, rather sitting a this point, at the entrance of the cave, smoking a pipe and whittling some wood. When he sees you start to stir, a smile seems to come over his face and he speaks, "Ah, well glad to see you are all awake now. Metherna sent me to accompany you back to her castle, I hope you will agree to it. The land has become.....a little less safe than when you left." With that he stands up, fits it knife back in his boot, and starts to leave the cave, "Come along with me, if you please," leaving behind a piece of paper that seems to be tacked on the doorway to the cave.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Ewin wakes up after a short and uncomfortable night.
    His shoulders are still sore from his mail, but there was no way in hell the tiefling would sleep in less armor in potentially hostile territory.
    Still half asleep, he recalls the mysterious shield he inquired the day before. Maybe a night of sleep helped him gain any insight about the strange bird symbol adorning the shield.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion - (1d20+10)[27]

However his concentration is soon diverted when he realizes the stranger sitting at the entrance. Well, if there's no dagger in my back yet, I assume I have nothing to fear of this one now.
    While this thought helped to calm Ewin's mind, his suspicious nature still came through.
    "And what is your name, good sir? I must admit that I am not familiar with all of the Silver's.. agents, and a good conversation might make the voyage back more pleasant."
    With this, he stands up and puts on his armor, packs his bedroll together and prepares to leave.
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai yawned and stretched, apparently paying little attention to their visitor. This continued as she produced her strange dice from a pocket and cast them on the floor.

"Aha! Excellent! Today should be a good day--better than yesterday at least," she exclaimed happily. Mai then opened her pack, digging through gold and other stuff to find her store of dried fruit, ate a few bites at first until she realized she was famished after yesterday and proceeded to eat her fill, washing it down with a long gulp of water. Only then did she turn her attention to the emissary, although she'd been weighing what he presented of himself this whole time to see if he's being honest.

"I'm sorry, my apologies, but I very nearly perished yesterday so I hope you'll excuse me if I'm gorging on life today. So, you seem anxious to leave, but if Metherna sent you then you must know that, as a magus, I require an hour of uninterrupted study to prepare my spells--and if things are as dangerous as you say we may yet need my command over the elements," she said, a slight, knowing smile on her face.

Spoiler
    Show

Before writing anything more I'm using her Dice of Auspicious Fortune daily item power; I'll add in the rest after seeing the results.

(1d20)[15]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[15]

Insight to see whether he's being truthful: 23
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-11-01 at 07:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Arya

Arya slept the night against the cavern wall in wolf form, his tail tucked around his body. His feet twitched a few times during the night but otherwise was still until the morning. He paws at a few scraps of Mai's food but lifts his nose and wanders outside the mouth of the cave, ignoring the man keeping watch. He comes walking in a few minutes later, picking a feather out of his teeth. "Good morning, gentle folk. A fair day rises, perhaps we'll be blessed with good weather for our travels to prostrate ourselves and our lucre at the mighty claws of the wyrm." He glances at the servant and nods at Ewin's question, then walks over to look at the paper pinned to the wall.

"Not that I don't trust you..." Arys says with a smile while holding out his empty hands, "...but where is your warrant? What proof do you bear that you serve Matherna? I'm not going to follow just any kindly whittling watchman that shows up in the morning and offers to serve as guide. For all we know you may be another Wyrm, shifted into human form and hoping to lead us into a trap and slay us all." He leans forward and sniffs at the man's clothes. "Hmm. There does seem to be a bit of dragon smell about you...though whether that's from her or my sense dulled from being around him, who knows." He says and motions his head towards Infernion. "It would certainly spice up the morning at least, that's for sure. Nothing like an assassination attempt to get the blood flowing." He says and grins at his pun.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

25. - Top - End - #445

You all wake to Dak putting the finishing touches on your magic items. Those familiar with him know what he's up to -- which is why he finished with them! The new guys were wisely taken care of during their sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone:
    Before combat, an artificer spends time infusing his or her allies’ magic items with curative energy. Whenever one of the artificer’s allies uses a magic item’s daily power, that ally absorbs the energy and gains temporary hit points equal to one-half your level + your Intelligence modifier.

As the mammoth human awakens, Dak pulls at his shirt and excitedly says, Dak notice your bravery! Your strength! Mother would be PROUD of you, yesYES! You have been REWARDED by Dak! as he claps his hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kadaith, enjoy this benefit:
    You infuse a weapon or an implement with a reservoir of energy that lasts until the end of your next extended rest or until it is expended. The wielder of the implement or the weapon can use a free action after making an attack roll to expend the reservoir of energy to gain a +2 bonus to that attack roll. An implement or a weapon can be augmented only once per day in this way.

The gold and items have been neatly collected into a mystical, ethereal bowl, hovering ever-so-slightly above the ground, following Dak obediently. It doesn't look burdened in the least, suggesting it could hold much more than what's currently stored.

At the sound of the stranger's voice, the githzerai eyes him curiously but makes no effort to speak to him. Let others speak for Dak, he thinks to himself, while Dak follow to Silver.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-11-01 at 09:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

PirateCaptain

Infrenion

Infernion wakes up from his sleep on the bed of gold he made rejuvenated. The man startles him but the dragon keeps his cool.

The red eyes narrow as the man talks. Infernion knows that there are likely more dragons then just him work for Metherna, perhaps this "man" is one of them. "No, he is human as far as I can tell"

Either way, Infernion is ready to get going. He cleans up the bed of gold, even pulling a few coins from beneath his scales. All he says is "I am ready when the rest of you are." He then walks up and out into the sunlight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature
    (1d20+5)[17]
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-11-01 at 11:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

The man, having only having walked a few feet stopped and turned around. He takes a draw from his pipe, smiles, and explains, "Well, my name is Nolan, and I have been in Her Majesties service for about 10 years now. You are right to question who I am, but everything should be explained in the letter there. And yes, Mai, I am aware that you will need time to get ready, take whatever time you need. You should be able to read the letter as well, now, which is from Her Majesty. And of course, Arya, I could have also just killed you in your sleep if I so were inclined, as opposed to waking you and taking you all on. From what She says, you are quite the force to be reconed with, and I haven't lived this long by being an idiot. Once you are up and ready, come outside where we are waiting for you, and we will get back to Her Majesty's." With that Nolan flashes a warm smile and exits the cave, leaving you alone, save for the letter tacked to the doorway.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #448

PirateCaptain

Infernion reads the letter before walking out.

29. - Top - End - #449

Dak not think you want Dak to read letter, the little green man says matter-of-factly. He crosses his legs and waits near the entrance to the cave, the floating disk of gold and treasure calmly hovering behind him, as if on an invisible leash.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Infernion

You try to read the letter, but when you look at the words, they look very foreign to you. You can't make out what they say.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally