New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Infernion

At Metherna's command, Infernion rises to his full height, tucking his wings in tightly. His blood boils as Mai describes her version of the events but he keeps his maw shut.

Responding will only make me angrier and irrational. I cannot afford to let my emotions rule me here. The dragons are kind to us now but they, and increasingly I, are beings of a personal morality. What they see as just may have nothing to do with humanities' collective morals.

Clearly ignoring Mai's digs, Infernion speaks directly to Metherna and the other dragons.

"I do not think I was included in this foray for my civility." A toothy smile creeps across his long snout and one of his claws is briefly bathed in green flame.

"But, your advice is wise as always my Lady, I will strive to bring a measure of civility to any future endeavors I may perform for you.

Infernion pauses then, outwardly thinking. A tone of deadly seriousness edges into his voice. "What is happening with the sky? On our return here I felt a ... presence ... I have not encountered in a long time." he says this, sure that each of the dragons knows what he is referring to. "Is He on the move?"
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-11-28 at 01:21 AM.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Metherna listens to Mai's explanation of events and doesn't seem angry or upset by them, just merely listens to her. Infernion speaks his mind on the matter as well and Metherna breaks in, "I understand your frustrations, Mai-Sal, and I am sorry I did not make my instructions to everyone clearer. I will do so in the future. And no, Infernion, I didn't bring you here for your civility.....but it is sometimes prudent to listen to your allies when they have ideas on a matter, as opposed to just listening to yourself. I am not angry either way, both of you did what you thought was right, and I cannot ask anything more of you." As an added note she turns to Mai again, "And no, I would not mind some help in my research. After you go back to your rooms and get settled after your Journey we can get started. Everyone else is more than welcome to join us as well." As soon as Infernion asks the question, all the other dragons, and the Silver Hawk, go completely dead-pan and silent. Metherna clears her throat and begins again, "All the answers to your questions will become clear in time. But first, get settled in and fed, each of your rooms has a meal in it for you. In a hour or so, meet us back here and I promise to explain everything in full." With that she dismisses you.

When you get to your rooms, you each find it quite large, with many amenities in it, as well as a custom meal for each of you, based on what you like. You put your packs down and have a meal, without having to look over your shoulder for potential forest beasts to attack you.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you would like, you can make an IC post about what you do in the hour, if not, just make an OOC post saying I'm ready, or I meet back in an hour.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

You all spend your time however you see fit. Washing off the dirt of the road, having a bite to eat.....taking a quick nap. After the hour goes by, servants come to each of your doors and lets you know that Metherna would like to see you in her Throne room. You gather what things you want and head that direction. When you enter, the large circular table is gone, as are the other dragons and Dak, and Metherna is sitting in her throne with the Silver Hawk standing where all of you eventually end up standing. Metherna smiles at you and starts, "I hope your meals were satisfactory. Let us get down to business. Thorn is taking her little green man back with her to her own keep, so the Silver Hawk's arrival has come at a very opportune time. He will be accompanying the party for your next expedition, and hopefully for longer than that. He come from a very well trained family of soldiers and know what he is doing, so it would be prudent to heed his advice when on your missions," she seems to trail off, looking at Infernion and somewhat at Arya. "He is not 'in charge' of you, per say, but listen to him in and out of combat, he may very well save your life."

"Now, for the part of the talk that I am sure you are all waiting for....treasure." Metherna seems to have a sparkle in her eye when she mentions treasure, and snaps a finger and 12 guards come out, two to a chest, placing one in front of every person. "In these chests are your rewards for helping me, and payment for services rendered so far, Riordan. You will find gold in there, and a powerful item, of which I have a feeling you will greatly enjoy. I left the shield for you, Ewin, for I believe it is best suited for your needs. Its name is the Sheild of Nusemnee. Nusemnee was a powerful devil many, many eons ago, and daughter to Zehir, and an assassin for him. She one day tried to kill a high priest of Pelor, but was unsuccessful. She father abandoned her, and she was struck down by a paladin's blade. Nusemnee thought death was near, but the high priest healed her. He showed her compassion and this struck her as odd, but not being in anyone's debt, she decided to help him in a holy quest until she could save his life in return. Nusemnee thus became a symbol of redemption. When she finally died at the end of the high priest’s quest, she rose again, this time as a minor goddess. In this form, she opposed her father by offering redemption to all who would turn away from evil. Unfortunately she died not too long ago, or was murdered rather, by a poison made from her father's blood." Letting the story sink in she continued, "That is why it is appropriate for you, Ewin. Wiled it well and remember, all of you, It is never too late to seek redemption." At those last words, the shield itself seems to glow a little with radiant light and die back down.

Spoiler
    Show
    You open your chests and all find 10,000g each and 1 item from your wish list, except for Ewin, who gets the sheild. It is actually called shield of Prator, but I changed the named for story reasons. Anon, you too. Instead of loot found, you are bascially being paid as a contractor for what you have done with Metherna so far.

Once you have all opened your chests and looked over, not only your gold, but your customized items as well, Metherna speaks again, "But now for the serious part of our little meeting. I wanted to talk with all of you plainly, so I asked the others to occupy themselves for a little while, I hope that is ok." Though whether or not it is ok, she doesn't stop to hear, "You all must have many questions about what is happening in our lands so far, especially you Infernion. I will not lie to any of you.....evil has come out of the hells into this land, and a King has opened the door." She stops for a moment and rises from her chair, walking over to and looking out one of her windows for a moment. "You were somewhere, a temple of Asmodeus presumably, when you said the cultists were trying to raise devils. Well, this was not an isolated incident. From what our intelligence tells us, this happened all over Faerun, devils spilling out of portals due tot he actions of the cultists of Asmodeus. This, however, isn't the most disturbing news." She turns back around to you all and walks back near you, "We have found out that Infernus has gone slightly mad. He has always been evil and power hungry, he is a red, it is in his nature.....but what he is doing now....." Metherna trails off and seems to have a hard time with her next sentence. She seems not only disgusted with the next prospect, but utterly insulted by it, "From what we have found out, we think that Asmodeus has promised Infernus some sort of godlike power, on top of the almost endless power of a dragon, if Infernus helps Asmodeus escape in to Faerun to unleash his hordes of Devils onto our world, killing everything, scorching the earth, and raining fire and ash upon us. Infernus has always wanted to rule over all of Faerun, but the rest of us, well at least 3 of us, have always kept him at bay. With Vala and my alliance, and Tortia's flipping nature, Infernus has never had the confidence he needed to fully attack us and know he would come out on top.....until now." She looks quite serious and dire at this point, "If his alliance with these devils continues he will gain enough power to slay all 4 of us and rule over all of Faerun with Asmodeus, though how two power hungry evil creature could rule together I know not. But that is beside the point. Infernus will have the power to find us all.....despite precautions we have taken to hide ourselves." She lets that last bit sink in before moving on, "From what our scouts and scrying has told us, Infernus helped summon a greater devil to the plane, Geryon, the Broken Beast. He was once an angel, eons and eons ago, but later turned into the wretched thing he is now. Though now he is exiled from the Nine hells, and not in Asmodeus' favor. The only thing I can think that he is doing is trying to win his Ruler's favor by paving the way for him to this plane." Metherna stopped, as if waiting for a barrage of question that she knew was coming.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any questions can be asked at this point, more info to come
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-11-30 at 11:11 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #484

PirateCaptain

Infernion

At the sight of the chest Infernion's pulse quickens. He is becoming a red
    dragon after all and has been imbued with the powers and appetites befitting his kind

He throws open the lid and plunges his claws into the deep gold, reveling in its marvelous feel. Eventually he pulls his claws out and is shocked to find them on fire, frozen, and dripping with acid, all at the same time. Yet none of this power harms him.

He breathes deep and lets out a hoarse laugh. "You know me well my Queen."

His excitement dies quickly though at the talk of Infernus making a deal with the Arch Devil himself. Then his spirit is momentarily crushed under the weight of knowing that Geryon is loose on the world. Even with the combined might of the powerful beings he has fought with they would never stand a chance against a devil like that.

Knowledge Check
    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: (1d20+9)[10]
    Infernion is no religious expert but he might know something about Geryon.
    EDIT: clearly he knows very little.

Great Metherna. Surely you cannot think even we could stand against something like The Broken Beast. Where do we fit into your plans then?"
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-12-04 at 10:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

The chest before Kadaith was a small one almost resembling a jewellery box, and in a sense it was. It was certainly of brilliant workmanship, cast as it was from silver and mithril, with a single ruby laid onto the cover in the form of the rising sun with bands of gold radiating from it to form the shape of a twisting dragon. Flipping it open, a pair of brilliant armbands, woven from platinum wire comes into view, resting snugly within velvet bands. The clasps were a single emerald and sapphire respectively to match the gem on the cover of the box, but could be said to be no more than decorations for the armbands, which where clearly shaped to hold their dweomers perfectly and no more. Compared to the box, they could almost be said to be austere in their designs but there was a serene elegance to them nevertheless. A small piece of parchment tucked into a corner of the box explained the history of the bands and how to use them. It was obvious from a glance that however small the package, whatever the others were receiving could not possibly have been more valuable.

After a few moments, Kadaith closed the box and placed it back onto the table before him. A creased formed on the big man's brow, as he considered his words and his worries. As the dragon finished voicing his thanks, Kadaith voiced his fears.

"Thank you Great Silver. This is an extravagant gift. However, this was not quite what I had bargained for when I promised to lend my strength to your cause. I was promised the safety of my people, and while I would not view it as a violation of our agreement if they should face dangers or even death, for all face the same, I hope that this is not an attempt at placating me before the arrival of bad news, because if so, then the news must be terrible indeed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kadaith acquires a +4 Torc of Power preservation and a set of dice of auspicious fortune, flavoured as the two armbands and to be worn on the upper arm. The box accounts for the remaining 1,000 gold.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Metherna can't help but put up a small smile as Infernion sinks his hands into his treasure and nods her head at him for his round about thanks. After her explanation of what is going on, Kadaith and Infernion both raise important questions, but of which get answers.

"Good Barbarian, when I told you your people would be safe, I meant it. And I will do anything in my considerable power to prevent any evil from befalling them. That is why I need your help now." She pauses for a moment, and then gets a little edgy, "But if you do not like what you receive, then by all means return it and try you luck in the wilds. I am a very understanding and patient being, but when my generosity is questioned, it annoys me." Before he can speak again she raises and hand, "I know what you meant, great Barbarian, but this is what I can give right now. Your people have food, shelter, if they need it, and clothing for all of them, what more would you like?"

She then turns to the little dragon, "Infernion, I do not think that you all could rush out and defeat the awful beast at this moment, even as powerful as you all are. You leave the beast to me, what I would like you to do is help me with something......finding an artifact that will help us in this quest. There is more to the story of Nusemnee. Yes, she was killed by a poison made form her father's blood, but that is not where that ends. This poison is said to be strong enough to kill a god.....which is something we might need if the Red's and the Devil's plan come to fruition."

She pauses, collecting her thoughts, "When Nusemnee was killed, it is said her body shriveled up, a dry husk, and floats now in the Astral Sea, guarded by followers of Zehir so that no one can get the poison and kill the one who produced it, Zehir. However, it is whispered that a band of adventurers got through the guards of the poison and filled a vial full of it, escaping with severe casualties. I want you to find this poison as well as mow down any opposition from the forces of Infernus or Asmodeus you encounter. Are you all up to this challenge?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #487
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

Kadaith could only smile somewhat bitterly at Metherna's words. However human she appears or is described as, it is clear that her understanding of what it means to be small and mortal in the same way the people of the world is is still thin. Opening the box, he donned the two armbands and dropped the box into his bag of holding in reply to her question. Someone had to do it, and the group in this room looked as suitable as any.

8. - Top - End - #488

PirateCaptain

Infernion

The crocodile smile returns to the Red's face. That....is something we excel at. Consider the poison as good as yours my Queen.

Do you have any idea where it may be held?

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Redemption? It is pityless soldiers you need, not compassionate weaklings!
    The tiefling opens his mouth to say these words to the silver dragon.
    But he can't bring himself to do it. He doesn't know why - maybe some spark of truth within the story resonated with him. Maybe the dragon saw something in him that the broken paladin himself hasn't seen for a long time.
    He opens and closes his mouth for a couple of times, at a loss for words.
    Finally, he nods his head and moves his hand on the shield's emblem, as if trying to absorb the very essence of the artifact's history.

After a couple of heartbeats, Ewin's eyes meet the dragon's, and only two words escape the paladin's mouth.
    "Thank you."
    Whether Metherna would understand the full meaning of these words was none of Ewin's concern, but this gift had sparked the tiniest of flames in him, a chance of something better to come.

"The Red One is a fool, however. He cannot seriously expect the Lord of the Nine Hells to just share his power - or forge a pact without holding all the advantages. There must be a catch. There always is."
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

10. - Top - End - #490

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ascy View Post

"The Red One is a fool, however. He cannot seriously expect the Lord of the Nine Hells to just share his power - or forge a pact without holding all the advantages. There must be a catch. There always is."
    "Do not underestimate Infernus. He is brutally efficient killer but he is also exceptionally intelligent. He may very well be plotting to take Asmodaeus' share of power just as the Devil plans to take his.

If those two come to blows our entire plane of existence will be in peril."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Arya

Oh yes, the endless power of a dragon. Arya smiles and busies himself by fiddling with the laces on his new fur lined boots. Devil makes deal with a Dragon, summons another Devil to muck things up for the other Dragons. The Houses should let the world burn and then come up to pick the pieces. At the talk of god killing poison Arya's ears perk up. "Mother would be jealous of her recipe." He says and listens to the barbarian complain and the dragonling boast.

"If they were to fight, our world would be less one devil afterwards. No great loss. Traveling the Astral is no easy task and those who stole the vial must have been prepared, which means they had help. We can find who helped them, and convince them to aid us.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've updated his character sheet with the Greaves for his wishlist item and two magic items to be bought later (Eager Hero Tattoo and Tuathan Road Whistle). I've also leveled him up to 14 (with the correct stats now ::smiley:: ) and a new feat: Hunting Wolf Form. Now in Beast Form he's got +2 Ref, +3 Speed, +5 Perception and +1d10 damage with Combat Advantage.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Like Kadaith's, Mai's treasure box also was small but ornate one, and upon opening it and reaching out to grasp the diamond-set amulet it contained she gasped quietly and looked up at Metherna as it inaudibly voiced her name. You are Mai-Sal Stormchaser. As it did so, she was filled with an empowered sense of self.

"Again, you have my compliments, noble queen," she smiled in gratitude, but still with some astonishment as she thought to herself, Tortia was right, she does know more than I might imagine.

The amulet rested upon a white clothbound book that was clearly old but remarkably durable considering its construction. The only mark on its cover was an embossed blank scroll, which she immediately recognized as Oghma's holy symbol. Seeing that gave her a puzzled look, but a note resting inside the front cover, written in draconic and penned in silver ink by a refined hand, was sufficient explanation: it was a credit with Metherna's court mages, alchemists and scribes for rituals and spell components. Much of the book was empty, save several pages at the front, written in gold in the Supernal tongue, which she assumed were lessons and other bits of wisdom.

"And you have my thanks. A book of divine secrets, yes? That should be most helpful, provided I'm not required to say my prayers that is," she quipped with a wink.

---

Mai remained silent throughout Metherna's explanation and her companions' commentary, and though she was calm it was clear she was furious at such a foolhardy ploy as to invite the Princes of Hell into our world--and a little bit at their inability to prevent Geryon from entering it. Still, she was curious about the godslaying poison and the story of Nusemnee, and wracked her mind for recollections of these.

"All this time I had only thought of that poison a myth, as well as its recovery. Amazing that it could be true. As I recall, the legend states that only two of the group survived to tell the tale. If they do not yet live, perhaps the followers of Nusemnee would at least have information of them and where the poison vial might be found--her worshipers are few and hidden, but they still exist. I believe we should begin there, once we are ready."

Spoiler
    Show

That covers the Amulet of Inner Voice, and I'll fill out the ritual book and components as I have time. That book also covers her training out her Assassin for Invoker multiclass: I decided Divine Secretkeeper would be more efficient than Ritual Caster, since you get both. Since that feat grants Religion, I'll also train out Religion for Insight with her regular class skills.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-12-05 at 04:00 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Metherna nodded at Mai's suggestion, "I think that sounds like a lovely idea, mage. Thought to be entirely honest, I know not where they might be currently. I heard of them before the Scarring being deep in the High Forest, but I don't know if they are even still around there. They might have died out since the Scarring, or have just been laying low. That is where I might start, or even ask around the city, I am sure there is some sort of presence here. I was a friend to the cult once, before I became a queen, and helped them quite often. They might be here and just not have said anything, so check around Waterdeep as well."

"I do agree that these two evils could never share power together, of course not, they are too greedy and too power-hungry. And while the world would be one less Devil down, the effects on this world, were those two to fight, would be astronomical. We dragons, when we get into our ancient years and before we take our long slumber, get quite powerful. Do not underestimate us, for at this age we could go toe to toe with a god or goddess and win. Though we get so powerful, and we tend to forget things. There are few of us who get as old as I am, and we are, now. And when we do, we tend to separate ourselves from the rest of the world, looking at people as though they were insects......much like the gods. Sitting high up, looking down at the world with eyes that have never known mortality....." Metherna trails off, then catches herself, "This is why I take human form much of the time, to remind myself not only that I need to help other creatures, but that I also need to keep my mind focused on what is going on in the world around me, less it be taken out from under me. I have great power, and I am responsible for those that don't."

She pauses for a moment, then continues, "We must not let the god of Devils pass into our realm, if he even can. It is said that when he was cast into the hells, he and his fellow angels were banished from the planes, never able to get out of that dark place of deceit and fire. The door was locked on him long ago......let us hope that he hasn't found a key."
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-12-10 at 10:19 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

14. - Top - End - #494
    Orc in the Playground

Kadaith

Kadaith could only raise an eyebrow at Metherna's words. The irony of the moment was like a hammer to the face; even the daftest of men would recognise it. Still, they have been sitting here for plenty of time and accomplished what they could.

"A few days at Waterdeep could save much time later. The scarring would likely have changed things. If there's nothing else, we should move."

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there a method for instant communication in 4e over long distances? Also, what about long distance teleportation?

15. - Top - End - #495

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"We could simply find a cult of Zehir and "ask" them about the poisons. At the least we might find a direction to begin looking. Lady, do you know where the Poisoners may be found?"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Metherna

"You may try and find a cult of them and try and persuade them to tell you where the poison is, however I wouldn't count on that. As far as I have heard, they know not where it is nor would they tell you of any leads even if they did......no matter how intensely you "asked" them. But I do not wish to discourage you, find a cult of theirs if you would like to, I leave the decision to all of you. You have proven yourselves to me, at least, so where you go from here is a decision for all of you." Pausing she adds something, "While you are on this quest, I will research these Tomes that you all found and see if there is any information that might help us, not only in finding a weapon to help us kill the Devil god, but also how exactly he thinks he might makes his way onto our plane."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #497

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Respecting Metherna's advice, Infernion turns his attention to the devil Nusemnee.

Knowledge checks for Nusemnee:
    Spoiler
    Show
    History: (1d20+18)[34]
    Religion: (1d20+11)[15]
    Looking for info on the devil, if she had any following, or other interesting facts.

Streetwise: (1d20+10)[30]
    Has Infernion ever heard of a cult or oranization relating to Nusemnee anywhere?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

After a few days of research and walking the streets, and some of you just being bored out of your minds from the sheer amount of books needed to go through to try and locate a dead goddess' blood, you finally get a breakthrough. Metherna call you all back into her chamber for dinner. Along with all the dragons that were at the table, you also find a Hamadryad sitting at the table, along with an Eladrin sitting next to her, but not the same Eladrin you met before. After you all sat down and began dinner, Metherna made some introductions, "Unfortunately, the Silver Hawk had to speed back to his own lands. Another war broke out in the Fey that they needed him for, and due to his priorities being there, he had to leave. Though he has sent us this lovely creature, Petra, a Hamadryad from the Fey, along with her protector, Gary I believe it was. She is a cleric of the goddess Chauntea, so you will be in good, healing hands. Which is a good thing from what Mai tells me. You can explain things if you would like Mai....and I believe Inernion has some information from the streets for us as well. I leave it to you two to share your findings."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra watches with a thoughtful stare typical for someone who was recently told that the world was about to end. The nymph/dryad had been waiting for the other guests behind an untouched salad and a half-empty cup of fruit juice, a nice dress robe and some rose-themed jewelry signifying her clerical station.

Managing a gentle smile, she sets her hands in her lap and bows to the party upon being introduced, then politely remains poised, listening for everyone to speak.

The thin Eladrin, wearing a brown shirt and what appears to be some light dress armor consisting mainly of green glass, stares intensely and directly at the people who just came in. He quickly bows his head when his name is mentioned, maintaining his gaze all the while. Then, almost as quickly, Gary calms down, relaxes his posture and starts blinking again, but he barely looks at his dinner rolls while he's eating. He is clearly considering this a working meal.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-23 at 04:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #500

PirateCaptain

Infernion

The Red nods to the newcomer Petra and her attendant but thinks to himself She has yet to prove herself as we all have. I will truly welcome her once her worth is beyond doubt

Infernion bows deeply to Metherna then turns to address his colleagues. "Thank you Lady.

I have indeed gathered a great deal of information on the subject of the devil Nusemnee. It seems that after her redemption at the hands of the Pelorite she became much like a minor god. To this day there are small groups of her devotees everywhere. They generally number no more then 20 to a group but some larger groups do exist. In the end, her following is actually quite substantial, just not wholly unified.

Many of you may know her precepts but I will recount them for those that may not."

At the same time he thinks this his heart beats quickly when the dogmas come into his thoughts. It is as if these precepts were made for one such as I. Perhaps.... He squelches the though, not letting it take root. No! How can there be redemption after all I have done. The best I can hope for is vengeance and a quick death.

As Infernion continues to recount his knowledge the only sign of the internal conflict is a narrowing of his eyes and further baring of teeth.

"Nusemnee taught to her experiences it seems.

• It is never too late to seek redemption.
    • True heroism does not come from good deeds. It comes from doing good when it matters.
    • Nobody is perfect. Those who seek to be perfect will fail. It is not a shame to fail, and it is not a waste to try.
    • Open your heart to possibilities. Never give up hope.

But by far the most valuable piece of information I found is this. Before the Scaring, there as a large group of this church here in Waterdeep. It gathered under an apothecary's shop owned by a man named Tanin. Tanin was also the leader of this sect.

I intend to investigate this lead in the hope
    (this is probably the first time any of you have heard Infernion utter the word hope) that we can gain further information on the God Poison."

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal Stormchaser

When Mai entered the dining chamber she raised her brow not at the new faces so much as the missing ones--one in particular. No Arya I see. I hope Vala didn't eat him, she mused, before smiling warmly at the eladrin and particularly the hamadryad, who was certainly an uncommon, but not unwelcome sight.

Mai nibbled at her salad and took a few sips from her waterglass as she listened first to Metherna and then to Infernion. She nodded at his description of Nusemnee and couldn't hold back a slight grin at the link he uncovered to her followers.

"That's excellent news. An apothecary shop right here in Waterdeep is bound to be a far safer journey than what I've uncovered, which Queen Metherna has alluded to. From what my research has shown, Nusemnee's blood makes an appearance from time to time in the material plane, and its last known whereabouts point, credibly--and unfortunately--toward the treasure horde of another red dragon: Drakon, a younger relative of Infernus who lairs in the Deepwing Mountains. Not exactly a destination for tourists."

She tried to end on a humorous note, but from her tone and expression it was clear she felt this was grave news.

22. - Top - End - #502

PirateCaptain

Infernion

History pertaining to Drakon
    Spoiler
    Show
    History: (1d20+18)[33]

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Metherna looked on as Mai and Infernion went through their stories. Mai's she knew, but Infernion's intrigued her. "Then there is some hope that it may not be with Drakon. If this Tanin knows where the poison laid last, or even better where it is, then maybe we can avoid taking a trip into Infernus' lands. Go find this Tanin and bring him to me....nicely," as she eyed Infernion for a moment, "and we will discuss what he knows about the blood. Call it a royal summons, he wouldn't be so careless as to deny a invitation from his Queen. Anything else in your research, or to discuss?" With that she left the floor open to discussion and questions.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

While her new comrades give their research reports, Petra catches her eyes drifting in Thorn's direction and quickly returns her focus to the speakers. She wonders if conducting all of this business with her former employer around is a good idea... but, she seems to be on the side of good this time, and in any case bringing it up is completely out of the question now.

Petra nods in agreement with the prescribed course of action.

"To ask Tanin first is probably the wisest course. The being of hope that he and his fellow disciples revered was slain by that vile substance, and that is not an easy notion to cope with... it's possible that one of his own became involved in a misguided quest for revenge, and approached him about it.

I can only pray that that pans out, as it would at least place the poison in the hands of someone with relatively selfless intentions... I'm more concerned about what happens afterward, if it doesn't.

Miss Stormchaser, pardon my asking, but when you said that Nusemnee's blood is known to appear on the material plane from time to time, what did you mean? Is there some other channel by which her presence continues to bleed into the world?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-24 at 08:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai nodded at Metherna's commission, finding it agreeable (even though it seemed unlikely that finding the blood could be as simple as that).

"Excellent observation, I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed," she replied to Petra's question with a congratulatory grin. "Yes, that's a curious thing I noted: it seems that in the historical accounts of various other religions, the blood of Nusemnee makes an appearance now and then, typically when a leader was thought to be poisoned or died suddenly. Not only does it appear in our own realm but in other planes as well, which leads me to believe, as you said, that there is some metaphysical channel through which her blood might flow from the Astral Sea. If I had to guess, I'd wager it's a sign that she--or at least the significance of her blood--has not been completely forgotten. If that means even a handful of her worshippers still remain, that much is encouraging."

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

"That is right Mai", Metherna cuts in, "from what I have read as well, and if I remember correctly in my long history, the blood of Nusemnee has been used by the Zehirites from time to time in history, since they are in control of it and guard Nusemnee's body floating in the Astral Sea. However, when the adventurers stole the vial of her blood and left, all mention of the blood elsewhere in the world stopped. My guess is most mention of the blood was just paranoia or someone looking for a scapegoat who happened to know about the blood. Though I bet some of those instances are true, and her blood was used for nefarious means. If we had more time to research it, I would like to find out, but alas we do not. The vial is real, I know, but let us hope that Tanin can tell us where he thinks the blood might be. And hopefully that isn't beneath the belly of a red dragon."
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-01-25 at 10:32 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #507

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Infernion begins to pace, his stout tail whipping back and forth impatiently. "Very well, let us try and find this apothecary Tanin, if he is even alive still.

I will go to where the shop is said to be and investigate. I do not suspect that we all must tromp there in a group however.

Lady Metherna, are there other things we may do to help you prepare?"

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Metherna shook her head, "I do not need anything at the moment. You all aren't required to go, but given the troubles going on, I wouldn't go alone. Report back to me with Tanin when you ask him, politely, to come."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #509

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    B]"Report back to me with Tanin when you ask him, politely, to come."[/B]
    Infernion bows low in a pose of general submission. "Yes, my Lady. No harm shall come to this Tanin, nor his compatriots. He will be sure that it is You who is 'requesting' his presence."

With that, Infernion is off to the last known location of the apothecary.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Gary munches on another roll, seeing no problem with this. Petra, on the other hand, gets hung up when the man with the bold red voice wonders aloud whether Tanin is still alive at all. Frozen with a fork full of lettuce and vinaigrette hovering above her plate, she considers the notion during the ensuing exchange, and quickly realizes that the report would place the apothecary's term of leadership at least 70 years ago.

"Actually, he raises a good point," she says just as Infernion turns to leave. "If he was recorded as being the group's leader before the Scarring, it's very likely that Tanin himself has retired or passed on since then..."

She pushes her seat back and prepares to stand up as she addresses the castle's hostess. "If it is alright with you, Queen Matherna, I'd like to go with him. Even if our intended lead is no longer with us, we may be able to look into who could be carrying on with his duties."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-25 at 08:37 PM.