New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Ewin

The tiefling has been sitting quietly during the discussion, not having anything of worth to contribute. Whether the books he read were the wrong ones, or he just didn't know how to look for meaningful information, the long downtime without combat made him weary.
    Only a subtle twitch in his fingers made his impatience visible though, and when the newest companions of their team were introduced, he merely raised an eyebrow and gave a slight nod. It seemed the dragon had a habit of attracting strange people from all over the realm.

When the plan to visit the apothecary's comes up, Ewin stands up like a coiled spring being released.
    "I'm coming. If I don't get anything tangible to do, I might go insane."
    With a glance towards the rest of the party, he adds "that is, if there are no other targets."
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

You all embark on your new errand for Metherna, collecting this mystery Tanin. You make your way through the city, passing by people here and there, but noticing a crowd like there usually would be. You get the feeling that people are wanting to stay indoors as much as they can, esp because the sky is scorched like it is. There is a begger here and there, but not many given the city's reputation.

You make it to the apothecary shop that you assume this Tanin is the proprietor of and walk inside, noticing a beggerman right outside the shop trying to collect money to do gods only know what. You see a myriad of potions and tonics in the shop, along with a few items hanging on the walls that you can assume, given his reputation, have some sort of healing property to them. You walk up to the front counter and ring the bell that is there. Some time goes by and nothing, you ring it again and even more time goes by, but still nothing. This seems quite odd and you get an eerie feeling as you stand in the shop. You notice a doorway right behind the front counter with a curtain hiding what is behind it.

You all look at each other and nod, readying yourselves for the worst. Being a man in thick armor, Ewin steps through the gate first, shield and sword in hand. Once he gives the all clear, you all go back into a small back room filled with some supplies and surplus stock. As you look around for clues as to where Tanin may have gone, Petra find something.....blood. Not a lot of it, looks like someone got a nose bleed and it leaked on the floor, but enough to get your attention. Then she finds the note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Dear friends,

I have that which you seek and I wish for an audience with your employer, my safety guaranteed of course, to discuss my price. If you are interested pin a red cloth with a note with the details of the meeting on the door of this shop before the week's end. If you're not interested... well then I'm sure there are others that would pay a hefty sum and business is business my friends.

Yours truly,
    V.S."
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-01-26 at 11:53 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra reads the note aloud and sighs.

"I would rather not wait the entire week... Have any of you heard of this V.S. before?"

Intending to resolve this quickly, she steps back outside to find the beggar waiting by the door.

"Excuse me..." she says to get his attention, only to find that he had already disappeared.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-02-04 at 07:36 PM. Reason: See below!

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"I have heard of one that might be this V.S. He is a drow who calls himself Virgil the Seeker. He has the reputation of taking any job as long as the money is right. He is quite the skillful if the rumors are to be believed. He may also go by many other names, using different personas for different jobs.

How he gained knowledge of our mission here I cannot fathom. But, I think that if the reward is ample he will comply by what he says within the note.

I feel that we can speak with Metherna's authority in this matter. I suggest we leave instructions exactly as asked for him to arrive at the Palace tonight.

We make mention of this to no one but our Lady.

Agreed?"

Streetwise:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise, Who is V.S.? [rollv]1d20+10[/roll] = 30
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-01-26 at 03:09 PM.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

5. - Top - End - #515

PirateCaptain

Lets try that again
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[20](30)
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-01-26 at 02:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Petra

You get a great idea in your head to ask the beggar you saw when you walked in if he had seen anything. However, as soon as you walk outside, you find no trace of the beggar, not any trace that anyone had been sitting there at all.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai shrugged, but inwardly she was furious at herself for overlooking the "beggar." In hindsight it was an obvious cover. Another drow... Arya, is this your hand at work? she thought.

"I suppose. I am rather curious to see how Metherna treats with a spy, and an extortionist at that," she offered with mild annoyance and just a hint of amusement.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2013-01-26 at 03:47 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

"It looks like we don't have much choice in the matter. I wonder if tonight would be too soon..."

Petra suspects that leaving a note herself may be overstepping her boundaries, but Infernion's thought to the contrary is enough to push her into writing one to save time.

Before they leave, she checks to see whether she can lock the door on the way out.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-26 at 06:48 PM. Reason: I always forget the colors... Also, details

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

After investigating the shop for a little while, and satisfied you got all the information you could, Petra left note asking this Virgil to meet them at the castle and guaranteeing his safe passage. She then closed the door and you all went back tot he castle. Once there, you explained to Metherna what the situation was, and as you explained everything you all say a flicker of annoyance streak across her face, but she, none-the-less, agreed to meet with this Virgil.

The hours went by until the time of the meeting came. A guard came into the throne room, which you all congregated in waiting for this man, and told Metherna a drow had come with an unconscious man in tow. She told the guard to let him in and bring the man with them. Then in walked a drow, with two guard who were carrying a man, at least you thought it was a man, in tow. The drow walked right up to all of you, smiling.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, he certainly seems to meet Infernion's description.

"Mister S, I presume? ...Oh!"

Petra quickly runs around the visitor to see the unconscious man the guards are carrying. She really hadn't expected the mystery rogue to come in such good faith... assuming he didn't bring a decoy or something, of course, but she keeps those kinds of suspicions quiet. Part of practicing Hope involves consciously choosing what to believe in these situations.

Gary keeps pace with her, shooting Virg a very sour glance. Look at that smug bastard, grinning like he's having the time of his life.

Petra whispers to him in elven to calm him down as she examines the patient. "Good can come, even from this."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-28 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Trying to find just the right information density and failing repeatedly.

11. - Top - End - #521

PirateCaptain

Infernion

The Red remains relaxed and ready, deferring to Metherna to speak to the extortionist first.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Bowing low the Drow says in a soft-spoken voice "Greetings your grace," and nodding to the collected eclectic bunch a smile at the corner of his lips "and friends." As the Hamadryad rushes forward to examine Tanin, he assures her "Don't worry too much sweetheart. It was a draught of his own concoction. He poured the dosage himself. He should wake up any moment. I promise you other than a bruise from the first time I knocked him unconscious he is in quite a fine condition."

Turning again towards Metherna, Virgil makes certain to cast his gaze downward. He is a cocky bastard, but even he knows his place in the presence of such power. He slowly rolls up his sleeves and opens his jacket, smooth calm motions. "As you may all see, I am unarmed and unarmored. I wish only to talk of a financial proposition." And with that he bows his head and respectfully waits for Metherna to speak or someone to try to kill him.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Virgil

Metherna sits on her throne, staring at you with an unchanging expression, and even when she speaks you cannot guess her mood. "Well, go on then drow. Speak of your terms."

She waves a hand and a few attendants run over to the man, helping Petra get him up off the ground and into a seat. And as Virgil says, Tanin seems to be under the influence of a sleep potion and can tell he shouldn't be under the effects for too much longer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Usually I will PM you, Dr, with the result of rolls.....but since Verin spoke up anyway, I am just writing it into the post
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-01-28 at 10:31 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

14. - Top - End - #524
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm trying to figure out how Verin got stuck in your head. You started it off nicely with a big bold Virgil and then Verin all the rest of the way through

"Tanin is a good man, strong resolve; I respect that. He has the information you seek and sadly I could not extract it for myself, though it was probably more fortuitous for him that way. Your grace, for 70 years I've been a working man, perhaps not by your definition per say, but by all means holding true to the denotation. 70 years is quite the length of time even for my kin. Though I do have probably a good hundred more left, barring the tragic, I would be well pleased to spend these years in a comfort only gold can buy. What I ask for is a regular stipend of gold, a - oh what do those humans call it - ah yes a pension. 750,000 gold pieces every 2 years paid out bi-monthly. In return I will serve your cause unwavering and to the fullest of my ability. I am prepared to make a bloodoath. As he lays down his proposition albeit in a rather roundabout way, Virgil maintains his lowered gaze and keeps his hands in plain view fighting his normal habit of gesticulation.

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't know if there was an equivalent of an unbreakable vow in Dnd so I just made one up called Bloodoath. If you have something already for this let me know and I'll edit my post to reflect your lore.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Metherna sits in silence for a moment, staring at the impertinent drow. The two attendants take Tanin from Petra's care, assuring her that they will do everything they can for him, and exit the room, along with the guards. The doors close behind them and all that is left in the throne room are the party, Virgil, and Metherna.

Metherna slowly gets up from her throne, seeming to move very slowly and take quite a long time in getting to the standing position. Then, things happen all at once. Metherna flies out of her seat, pushing the rest of the party against the wall with one swipe of her hand, and all of a sudden Virgil find himself pinned down by the claw of an enormous silver dragon, who is now looking at him right in the face. "You dare come into my city, attack my subjects, disrupt the goings on here, and then march in MY throne room like you deserve MY riches. Don't think you can march into my kingdom and make demands. I could tear you limb from limb and there would be nothing you could do about it. If I let you walk out of here alive, it will be out of the goodness of my heart." Her voice shakes the very foundation of the castle and her giant dragon's eye leans in closer to the Drow, only 5 or 6 inches from his face, and he can see a fiery glare in them as she looks upon him. She stays there for a few moments and the room is very tense, to say the least.

After a time, Metherna takes her claw off of the Drow and, just like before, there is the Queen standing in front of you again. It is almost as if you don't even see her transform, one minute she is a dragon, the next a human. She faces the others with her back towards Virgil, "I will make you this offer, drow. Help me with my tasks and you will find the treasures you seek. If you don't find this agreeable....." she turns back to Virgil, staring into his soul it feels like, "....I could always eat you."
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-01-28 at 11:39 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

At her display of ferocity, Virgil bats not an eyebrow and when she releases him from under her claw he stands brushing off his suit. When she turns to address him a last time he meets her gaze for the first time since entering the room. His eyes are cold, calculating, fearless. For Virgil there is no fear of death, a passing gift from his Drow upbringing. After a few moments he nods and with an elegant bow he says "My life for your cause milady. May you use it well." In his chest Virgil's heart booms. In the last seventy years he has never felt more alive than in that moment eyes locked with the dragon queen. The death she offers me I quite like. Perhaps one day I shall pursue it.

17. - Top - End - #527

PirateCaptain

Infernion

He stands still, reacting slightly at Metherna's immense voice, but otherwise outwardly impassionante. Inside he is raging. The thief deserves to die for his insolence! How dare he demand that of the Lady!? He must have a desire for a painful death.

If he is to work with us he may meet with an unfortunate "accident."

At that thought, Infernion's crocodile smile returns.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

By now back in the seats with everyone else, Petra watches the guards carefully carry Tanin off, largely ignoring the spectacular display happening on the center stage. It would have been strange for Matherna to react in any other way, really... though she does get the sense that they were all just victims to a kind of elaborate prank.

She winces at the thought of what Virgil may have done had he gotten the information he wanted, but he was apparently truthful about the sleeping potion. Tanin should make a full recovery soon enough.

Overall, this is actually going very well.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-02-04 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Derpy derps

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Moments passed as Metherna glared at the newcomer. After 10 minutes passed like this, the doors to the throne room opened again, with the attendants following closely to Tanin who has seemed to wake up. "Greetings Tanin I am Metherna, Queen of these lands. I apologize for the misfortune that has befallen you by this fool drow, he went through you to get to me and I can only apologize to you and hope you will forgive me," Metherna steps from her throne, walking over to Tanin and leading him to her large table motion to you all to sit if you would like. Tanin sits on her right as some servants brings him some food and wine. Tanin eat a little and drinks the wine, only after he seems satisfied for the moment does he speak.

"Thank you for your hospitality, good Queen. I know that this was not directly your fault, nor has this been the first time I have been targeted by such ruffians for many years now. I accept your apology, though it wasn't needed." And this is the first time that any of you really look at Tanin with a critical eye. When you saw him before, you thought he was just malnourished and a bit peeked, but now you know that is not so. His skin is pale, his hair is jet black, and his eyes are the same color as his hair, save for a blood red ring of color. "From what I gathered by the questions ask of me from the drow, you are interested in Nusemnee. May I ask as to what your interest is in a dead goddess?" Metherna turns to all of you, letting you answer for her and ask of Tanin what you will.

Pic of Tanin:
    Spoiler
    Show

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

As Metherna motions for everyone to sit, Virgil takes a seat isolated from the rest. He knows full well he is not yet welcome among these people and that might never be true. He knows his position her hangs in a fine balance determined by Metherna's mood, or perhaps more specifically her appetite. He cares little of it though. Glory is not a social game.

As food and drink are brought he can only laugh inwardly as they pass over him ignoring his very presence. With the pleasantries over it seemed it was time to get down to work. At Tanin's probe Virgil speaks up, though to the disapproving glare of the Dragon Queen and his new friends.

"They seek her blood. To protect or use I do wonder. Powerful and rare, such an item is priceless and yet I could think of a few who could imagine one and quite handsome a price it would be... Infernus, even Tortia perhaps... Alas it is beyond my knowing and my allegiances lie, of course, with you now, my queen and by your command I will acquire this... treasure... for you." His words are slippery almost slimy, spoken slowly, and picked with the utmost care. As he speaks he pauses here and there for drama's sake and moves his hands through the air as if conducting a symphony, delicate and light. As he finishes speaking weathering the death stares of the others present he thinks to himself, And such a treasure it is. I relish the challenge. Glory in life or glory in death. It's all the same from the bard's mouth.
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-01-29 at 03:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Something about this man didn't feel right to Ewin, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was.
    The paladin leans back a bit in his chair, making sure that Tanin could get a glimpse at the ornate shield standing next to it. The long time of research is still grating on the tiefling's mind, and his patience grows thin.
    "Let's say we are drawn to her history and the.. inspiring tales of her life. Mostly the tales about a certain heirloom of her father's."
    He gives the pale man a tiny smile without any hint of warmth in it, and his black eyes meet the man's red ones.
    "But I assume you already know what this is about, do you not?"
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra stays close to Tanin as everyone gets seated and shoots a disapproving glance at the paladin for his threatening tone. Tanin may turn out to be several odd things, but there's no reason to believe that he is a criminal.

"Shush."

She turns to the apothecary. "Yes, that is correct. We have heard word that some of Nusemnee's blood has been stolen from her fallen body in the Astral Sea, but we know not by who... our primary concern is to ensure that the poison that still contaminates it is not being used for some dreadful purpose.

"We sought you out as one of the dead goddess's most devout followers, hoping that you might have some insight about what may have happened. Can you think of anyone who may have organized such a theft, or why?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Monster knowledge (for why Tanin may look the way he does): (1d20)[1] + whichever skill modifier is relevant

Diplomacy (to get him to respond favorably): (1d20)[3] + 25

23. - Top - End - #533

PirateCaptain

"Actually Petra, it was stolen long ago.

Our companion Mai has found information that suggests at least some of this poison resides in the treasure horde of a red Dragon, Drakon.

I have dealt with him before actully, during my......"time" with Infernus. He is every bit as cruel as his older relative, and very powerful. Yet, he is not as strong as an elder. He is not quite a force of nature yet."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai had looked on with undisguised amusement at Virgil's brazen attempt at extortion, but even with her own experiences to inform her she was still taken aback by the fury Metherna showed in response--she half-expected the room to be painted in drow innards in short order, but inwardly commended the Silver for her restraint.

Do all dark elf men have a death wish? she pondered, before returning to the matter at hand.

"That is fortunate, since it's looking more and more as though we'll have to confront him, and we'll need every edge we can get our hands on. Is it true he holds no love for Infernus?" she questioned Infernion, then let her gaze fall on this Tanin. "I imagine the Blood of Nusemnee is a closely guarded secret of the faith, but have you any idea how it might have gotten into this Drakon's horde, or why it sometimes seems to seep out of the Astral Sea and into the other planes?"

Spoiler
    Show

Insight into Tanin, chiefly whether anything he divulges about the Blood can be taken as fact: (1d20+27)[37]
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

25. - Top - End - #535

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"I can say that no Reds wish others of their kind well. It is no coincidence we are more singular and more rare then most other chromatics. Drakon certaintly holds no love for Infernus but neither has he attacked or declared against the Greatest Red. To do so would surely be suicide."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Tanin's eyes seem to grow slightly wider at the sight of the shield. "Where did you get that from, I wonder, Tiefling? That is a mighty artifact, said to be lost to the ages. None of our order has been able to find it since...." Tanin eyes Ewin for a moment, as if trying to decide something. Finally he speaks again, "If someone were to have it, I am glad it is you, paladin. Nusemnee is a goddess of understand....and second chances. I can tell you are in need of one of those, Tiefling....as are we all." Tanin smiles and moves on to the questions that are asked of him.

"It is true that our goddess' blood was taken from her body in the Sea, by a group of strong mercenaries....adventurers by trade. They left this plane by my request. I knew not if they would succeed, but I had to try something. They never made it back to me and I never got the blood, though I knew they had got it. They sent me a message by magical means when they did, and they were able to, but after that I heard not a word. I have tracked it as well throughout the years, trying to locate it. I have not succeeded until recently." Tanin paused, letting the information soak in to their heads.

"I narrowed the blood down to this land, and even got so far as to figure out it was in Drakon's possession, though I am fairly certain he does not know that it is there. I suspect he received it in a chest, stowed away in it by someone who knew not what it was, and now in his horde. I fear the only way to get it back is to, defeat Drakon himself, and steal it out of his horde. And from what I hear about this red, he will not give that up easily."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

"I see... Interesting..."

The story is pretty fortuitous. It doesn't rule out the blood's other historical appearances, but at least it doesn't require searching for dripping portals all over the world or anything.

"It would be a shame to barge in and fight the junior dragon over a simple piece of his treasure collection... but, if he takes after his father at all, he may get the wrong idea if he finds out just what he has in his possession."

Petra ponders a little bit. "I wonder... in your efforts, did you come across a description of Drakon's hoard at all?" She looks meaningfully at Virgil. "If a sufficiently skilled infiltrator could simply lift the vial without his notice, he may not even miss it..."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-30 at 12:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    "If a sufficiently skilled infiltrator could simply lift the vial without his notice, he may not even miss it..."
    "BAh! Pathetic human. If we sneak in we gain only the vial and leave a possible heir to Infernus.

No, we kill Drakon, take the Blood, take the treasure, and honor our Lady."

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CalebRoberts View Post
    "BAh! Pathetic human. If we sneak in we gain only the vial and leave a possible heir to Infernus.

No, we kill Drakon, take the Blood, take the treasure, and honor our Lady."
    "NO."

Petra's eyes have suddenly widened into pupil-less green globes, and she has raised her voice to project all the authority of She Who Is Literally Everyone's Mother.

"Heeere we go," says Gary, looking away innocently.

"An heir, perhaps, but not a duplicate. Whatever your opinion of red dragons, it does not doom Drakon to follow in Infernus' footsteps any more than it dooms you yourself, and it is absolutely no excuse to slaughter this creature for the sins of his father, much less for his treasure! Is that clear?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-01-30 at 01:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Virgil muses over the Hamadryad's query.

Had he ever encountered Drakon or his hoard? It certainly sounded like a delicious mark. It's not like dragons' treasure had never been request before and those were always the most exhilarating opportunities. I wonder...

And in the middle of his thought is distracted by the sudden outburst at the table. He smiles amused at Petra.

"I find myself in agreement with the young red. Though I admit my reasons for slaying Drakon are purely personal - Virgil the Slayer of Drakon, the Red Dragon has a certain pleasing ring to it - I believe our great patron would stand only to gain from receiving such a grand hoard as a red dragon's hoard. Regardless of whatever rancor you hold towards the prospect of violence, sweetheart, I concur with young red; let us kill Drakon and be done with it."
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-01-30 at 08:35 AM.