New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Infernion

He chuckles as Petra' face grows read with frustration. "It does not 'doom' him to follow that path, no. But clearly you know little of these kinds of dragons. It is in his base nature to gain as much power as he can with no thought for the methods. Infernus is not unique, he just happens to be the oldest. It is not a doom Petra, mearly instinct.

You will see."
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    "An heir, perhaps, but not a duplicate. Whatever your opinion of red dragons, it does not doom Drakon to follow in Infernus' footsteps any more than it dooms you yourself, and it is absolutely no excuse to slaughter this creature for the sins of his father, much less for his treasure! Is that clear?"
    Metherna then speaks up, "I hate to say it, young Dryad, but our little red is correct. I always try words before I resort to violence, but when it comes to reds, violence is the only language they understand. Infernion is a special case, he may still be saved from his instincts because he is not a "traditional" red and he is still young, but one as old as Infernus and even Drakon won't see reason. They are far past it and crave only wealth and power."
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-01-30 at 09:50 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #543

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Infernion beams outwardly at the recognition from Metherna. His urge is to gloat, and normally he would. The only thing that stays his voice is the presence of the Lady and her absolute power.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Respecting Matherna's judgement, Petra reverts to her usual volume and sighs apologetically.

"Yes, I can understand that... it's only... I still cannot accept using it as a basis for signing someone's death warrant. If we are to actually confront Drakon, and we find that he is in fact suffering from some sort of Red Dragon Senility, we can deal with it then. I just feel like pursuing the blood while discarding the possibility of redemption would be like poisoning it all over again."

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai just smiled and shook her head at the whole scene.

"Well, it sounds like we're all settled on a course of action here with the big bad red, but a question remains, namely: how shall we get there? The way is long, difficult and takes us straight into enemy territory."
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

6. - Top - End - #546
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

After searching his mind Virgil comes up with only passing hearsay logged in the backlogs of his memory. He waits patiently to divulge his knowledge quite entertained by this fey creature and her aversion to violence. When he is about to speak though he is interrupted by the lightning woman whose question is an annoyance.

Trust a woman to state the obvious without offering any suggestions...

He thought as he waited for Mai to finish speaking or, rather, he waited for her to finish wasting time. With only the echoes of her words hanging in the air, Virgil says

"To answer your question, sweetheart, I have been many places, but alas I can not count Drakon's treasure hoard among them. I have heard it is vast, well guarded, and all that have attempted have died. As for getting to Drakon's lair I offer this solutions Perhaps our patron could supply you all with simulacrums of this.

And as he says those words he taps the gold circlet that rests lightly at top his pointed ears wrapping around the back of his head with ending at either side of his forehead in a minute scroll. As his fingers leave the circlet his form begins to change as if you were viewing him through a rainy window and as the distorting droplets drip away, Virgil begins to look less and less like himself until finally seated before you is Tanin only with Virgil's wicked smile. When he speaks it is Virgil's voice though they come from alien lips.

"With these we could attempt to slip past the borders and gain access to the Deepwing Mountains. Our party should be sufficient in size to not solicit much attention."
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-02-03 at 11:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

"An interesting trick.. but will it be enough to fool the servants of Infernus? Regardless, we should stay away from the roads and move fast and low. I'd rather not think about the.. political ramifications if Infernus is able to connect our mission to the queen."
    He didn't add and the probable murder of his offspring to his thoughts, but except for the priest nobody seemed to have illusions about their mission.
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai rolled her eyes noticeably at the drow's derisive tone, and was none too impressed by his illusion trick either.

"A Headband of Disguise. How quaint. Even if Metherna did fabricate enough of those for all of us, and even if they worked perfectly and we managed to avoid anything nasty, it would still not resolve the distance problem, smart guy," she fumed. "When I said the way is long, I meant it. I've traveled it before, and when I did I--well, I had time on my side, I'll put it that way. Now, not so much."

With that, she turned to the great Silver.

"Queen Metherna, will travel by land leave us with enough time for our mission?"

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Turning to Mai, Metherna responds, "I am not sure as to the timeline of the two evils, but we don't really have much of a choice, do we? As far as I am concerned the quicker we get it, the better. I can send agents into Infernus' lands to try and delay him as much as possible, but who really knows what our time frame is? All we can do at this point is try our best and do what we can."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #550

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"Lets get moving then. Lady Metherna, do you have any creatures that could fly us to the borders of your territory? This may save us days and as you say, we do not know what our timeframe is."

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Infernion

Metherna thinks for a moment and then smiles as an idea seems to pop into her head, "In fact I do little red, as soon as you are all ready to leave, meet me outside in the courtyard and I shall have them ready for you. Tanin and I are going to take a walk and talk for a moment. Talk about strategy if you would like, and meet me when you are done."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra raises her hand.

"Um, actually," she says to get everyone's attention, "I do happen to have my horses and carriage outside with the valet, if that helps. The Fey riding breeds have gotten me from place to place in the past with what I'm told is astonishing speed. If I could examine a map of the route, I may be able to orchestrate a shortcut across the Feywild as well, if a pair of crossings are fortuitously placed."

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

After a few minutes consulting maps, Petra and Mai-Sal quickly come up with some relatively convenient Fey crossings. There is a fairly obvious one nearby, and a few known to be in the general vicinity of Drakon's lair.

"The advantage of this route is that we'll be able to circumvent a large portion of the hostile territory, without too much additional time or investment. I should be able to secure safe passage for our group, though I cannot really guarantee that the Feywild will not have its own share of holdups..."

"Didn't that Drow guy from before say he was going off to war? What was that about?"

Petra looks slightly uncomfortable with Gary's reminder.

"Infernion, from the time you spent in the region, are you familiar with the route we are likely to take normally? How much resistance do travelers typically face?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-02-09 at 10:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Hmmmm....

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am not sure what check would be applicable here. Just add the roll to the applicable skill.

History: +18
    Streetwise: +10

(1d20)[15]

15. - Top - End - #555

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"Well, from here to the border of His lands we should be fine if we stick to the main road. The only thing that may bother us would be wold animals but that is a risk anywhere.

Once inside His lands though things become much more dangerous. He has an army of peons that patrols constantly. They tend to stay close to his capitol Nothal but it is not unheard of for them to branch out occasionally. They do generally stay away from Drakon's lands. Drakon has his own small force and its not worth Infernus' resources to fight them. Plus, Drakon does a decent job keeping his own place clear.

The countryside and roads are not deadly but danger is ever present. Thieves and ruffians are always looking for prey though we might not be considered an easy target. The worst thing we could do is to be obvious. Infernus pays well for information and our whereabouts would most certaintly be valuable. I, in particular, would be a dead giveaway for us. I was, once, well know in his lands. There may even be a price on my head. If we can somehow disguise ourselves with a glamour or hide me we should be safe. Infernus wont care about travelers as long as I am not spotted and we look up to no good.

If our Lady can supply us with some way to fly in we should be secure, otherwise, hopping through the planes may be dangerous but not as lethal as attracting the Red's personal attention."
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-02-10 at 02:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Petra, what could we expect to encounter in the Feywild? How close could you get us to Drakon? If we can avoid all travel through Infernus' lands, that would be for the best.

<< At the rendesvous with Metherna >>

Lady Metherna, Petra may be able to get us to Drakon through the Feywild. We have been holding on making the decision until we saw what transport you may be able to offer us.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

While the rest of the party discusses the possibility of travel through the Feywild, Virgil sits silent. He cares not much for what the women say and beyond that knows his position is still rather tenuous. To amuse himself, Virgil adds the image of each of the people in the room to his collection of disguises. With a tap of his circlet he morphs from Tanin to Gary and looking over at Gary gives him a wink before shifting back to Virgil as the conversation moved towards moving.
    Amazing avatar done by Ceika! Thanks a bunch

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

You all walk into the courtyard and fund Metherna there, and on the ground a big circle traced out with blue sand, all in glyphs of some sort. Those that are more inclined in the arcane arts recognize it as a ritual circle. "Ah, thank you for joining me. This is my idea for getting across the lands....give me one moment." After that she puts out some other components and saying some words that are dripping with arcane power, the circle flairs up in blinding, blue light, consuming the components and when you look again there are five horses with large wings on their sides. But they do not look like normal horses, they are opaque, spirit-looking, and there seems to be one that is the perfect size for each of you. "These Pegasus will take you where you need to go and will allow you to fly over the lands, not only will you be able to look at the lands below, but also spend much less time getting to your destination. You might even be able to survey the mountain to find an entrance less traveled. What do you all think?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Gary tries his best not to look impressed by Virgil's efforts. He's still kind of sore from the whole kidnapping thing.

Petra thanks Matherna and, smiling, walks up to pet one of the smaller steeds that seems apparently intended for her.

"Good... this should make the journey much simpler. We should be safe as long as we keep to the skies."

She looks back up at the rest of the group, finding this a good opportunity to answer Infernion's questions from a few minutes earlier.

"The last logistical hurdle I can think of would be finding safe places to land and rest along the way. If that is going to be a huge problem, my route is still on the table; I see no reason not to bring the Pegasi along, and we should be able to re-enter the world at a point within Drakon's relatively 'clear' territory. The Feywild may have more airborne creatures around, but we shouldn't be the targets of anything on the level of informants or assassins there."

Petra tries to be impartial and serious, but she actually seems to be looking forward to the trip on some level.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-02-13 at 10:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Not wanting to press the Dragon Queen's nerves any further than he has already, Virgil chooses his next words very carefully.
    "With all due respect, your grace, would you not consider yourself and your kin the masters of the sky? I realize that it is perhaps the quickest means of travel, but is it the safest? How many of us here have experienced combat while riding a horse let alone a pegasus? Is not one of concerns stealth? Would a group of 5 flying overhead on etheral winged horses not be conspicous?"
    As he lets his words ring, he comes to a quick realization,
    "However your grace is wise beyond all comprehension. Perhaps these pegasi are protected or cloaked in some manner?"
    He then starts muttering to himself,
    "Then again, dying in aerial combat with a dragon is quite a lovely way to die though not as lovely as dying to a dragon in his hoard or even killing..."
    His mutterings slowly fade away as he is lost in his own thoughts of what makes a glorious death, or preferably a glorious bard's tale.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Petra

Metherna smiles, "One nice thing about these steeds is that they will get you to the mountain in a mere day's ride, so there is no fear of needing to rest. And they are adept at having people sleep on them while they fly and keeping them on their backs. The only hurdle with landing is finding a place to land once you get to your destination."

Virgil

Metherna eyes Virgil for a moment before answering, "Yes, we are masters of the sky, and proud to say so, drow. However, most ancient dragons, esp those that just sit in their mountains and plot, tend not to take to the skies too much. They usually don't want to leave their hordes of gold for too long, for fear that someone might come behind them and take it. True, Drakon is more apt to come out of his mountain and fly around. But from what my scouts tell me, he hasn't been out in quite a while.....if the rumors are to be believed." Pausing for a moment she continues, "And no, they are not cloaked or protected by any means, magical or otherwise. However I feel that if you take to the skies high enough, you shouldn't be spotted, esp with how the sky looks at the moment. There is so much going on with it, you will likely not be noticed. However, it is ultimately you and your group's decision on what you want to do. And with that I leave it up to you to get the mission completed. Remember, the sands of time flow against us, so time is of the essence. Good luck, and I hope to see your return soon."

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously everyone can hear her words, I just referenced specific people because of the questions asked.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

22. - Top - End - #562

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"Lady, we are grateful for your aid."

Infernion turns to his party then.

"Petra, I think we should simply make haste an take these steeds now. If we can, as our Lady says, reach Drakon's lair in a day then the pegasai are our most expedient route. If we fly as high as we can we should be safe enough."

Infenion moves to mount and get ready to ride.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Ewin walks up to the mysterious winged steeds. He extends his hands towards the pegasus closest to him, and to his surprise, the summoned creature doesn't flinch like most natural mounts.
    "Wondrous creatures.. will this spell last long enough for us to leave Drakon's lair after we have dealt with this problem?"
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

After looking over the pegasi and hearing Metherna's description of the magical steeds, Mai offered the great dragon her thanks and nodded in rare agreement with Infernion.

"I quite agree, the quickest route isn't always the best--but in this case I do believe it is, provided these magnificent creatures will remain with us for the return journey?" she reiterated Ewin's question before getting ready to ride.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra nods to Infernion, the last of the logistics sufficiently accounted for. "Agreed. And thank you again, Matherna."

Of course, Ewin and Mai also have a good point, so she waits for an answer on that front as well.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

He bows slightly in response to Metherna finding her answer agreeable. He walks to the steed that was most likely his. Black. Green eyes. A fine steed. He pats its head and waits for the final answer before mounting.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

"They should last you for twenty-four hours, so if you are able to get in and out of the mountain in that time, they will be there for you. Otherwise, you might want to utilize Petra's portal system for your escape. Either way you chooses to go and return, be sure to make haste. We know not what time we have, or don't have, as the case may be. Good luck to you all." With that she turns and goes back inside the castle, leaving you to do what you will, pushing you to make haste.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-02-16 at 01:08 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

As Matherna takes her leave, Petra takes her urging to heart and pulls herself up onto her magic ghost-horse.

"Gary?"

"Yeah, I'm good. I'll see you when you get there."

"Alright. Thank you."

She sends him off with a wave of her hand, briefly leaving an afterimage of his house insignia in his place as he disappears.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

With a fluid movement, Virgil mounts the beast and looks at the rest before taking to the sky.

30. - Top - End - #570

PirateCaptain

Infernion

With a flap of his scarlet draconic wings, Infernion is on the magical steed.