New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Ewin

"I still don't like these winged steeds.. they better not throw me off."
    As his mount moved higher with every flap of its wings, Ewin was again reminded that big heights did not make him feel comfortable. He clenched the reins of the pegasus tighter, happy that his white knuckles couldn't be seen underneath his armored gauntlet.
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

You all mount your spectral steeds, climbing on their backs, and taking to the skies. They seem to answer to your every command and seem to be in sync with you. You fly atop their backs for many hours, and they never seem to tire or want of food or water, letting you nourish yourselves mid-flight. As you fly, the closer you get to Infernus' lands, the higher in the air you rise, as not to be seen by anyone on the ground.....though you keep a watchful eye on the skies in case you run into any giant flying lizards.

About an hour before sundown you make it to the mountain, half covered in trees, while the other half looks as though all the wildlife as been scorched from its surface. In fact, you don't seem to notice anything green or alive on the scorched side, other than the servants of Drakon ambling about, or what you assume are his servants.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you would like, make perception checks to see what you can see
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-02-26 at 11:53 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Perception: (1d20+6)[20]
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

4. - Top - End - #574

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Roaring over the high altitude wind Infernion points out what he can see.
    "On the side of the mountain, in the trees! See the smoke! It might be another way in! Its worth checking out at least!

We land several miles away, in the trees, far from that main entrance!"

Without waiting for a conformation he coaxes his pegasai into a dive.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Virgil squints but does not see this smoke. Regardless he directs his mount to follow suit and dives down towards the tree.
    Amazing avatar done by Ceika! Thanks a bunch

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra quietly follows suit. She hasn't said much over the course of the trip, apparently being preoccupied with her thoughts.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

You all land, dismounting from you steeds and without command they seems to just stand there, no running or flying away, as if waiting.

You make you way through the forest, following the small pillar of smoke to its source and there you find, finally, good news. From what you can tell, this is a small cavern entrance, lightly guarded. And, upon inspection from a safe distance, it wouldn't be too much to assume that this is some sort of back entrance to Drakon's lair. Though where it leads to you do not know.The guards outside the entrance are two, fairly large, dragonborn and a small grouping of kobolds....at least that is what you can see.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #578

PirateCaptain

Infernion

The small dragon points a claw at Virgil. "Its time for you to earn your keep thief. Scout ahead and report back."

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Virgil ignores the tone of the young red. Pearls before swine, he thinks to himself before running up the nearest trunk. Pushing off from it he propels himself to an opposite tree repeating until he's put a decent distance between him and the ground. He jumps from tree to tree slowly moving towards the cave entrance. A couple of trees short of the edge of the forest he stops and scans the enemy group for weapons, and any kind of signal horn. He also looks for any patrols to pass and attempts to mark the time between them if they show. With this information in hand he retreats the same way back to the party.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+22)[30]
    Acrobatics: (1d20+20)[34]
    Perception: (1d20+13)[31]

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Virgil descends from the trees in similar manner to his ascent only this time sliding down a length of the trunk before jumping to another. "Miss me much?" he asks with a curt smile on his face.

"The entrance is guarded by 2 Dragonborns and 8 Kobolds. One of which seems to be an alarm raiser. I'm sure if we just waltzed right up to the entrance he'd be gone before you could snarl," he says specifically to Infernion. "There is also a patrol party that enters and leaves the cave about every 4 minutes or so. Its composition is the same as the group at the entrance. Killing the runner should be our first objective." As he speaks Virgil uses his Hat of Disguise to shift between the forms of the enemies as they are brought up.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

"...why?"

This question is pretty stupid, even from someone as naive as a pacifist cleric. She quickly elaborates.

"Of course we do not want the alarm raised, but I've noticed that using nonlethal methods poses little additional difficulty to rogues and warriors of your caliber. If you need an excuse, the runner has to be familiar with their traps and security procedures, and should be relatively easy to question."

12. - Top - End - #582

PirateCaptain

Inernion

"Impressive Drow. We are going to need to get there just after the roving team leaves. Virgil, you take out the runner, I don't really care dead or alive. The rest of us will encircle the remaining guards."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra frowns, having been volunteered for a task she doesn't particularly like, but continues to suggest tactics rather than objecting. Infernion has made his message perfectly clear: this was going to be his operation, not hers.

"Miss Stormchaser, do you have a spell that may first immobilize the subject as well? I doubt that he or she is likely to go down with one shot, however well-placed."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-03-06 at 10:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal Stormchaser

Mai had been keeping her peace since even before the trip began, but mostly she was preparing herself for this moment--the coming fight, that is, not Petra's question. She tried to relax a bit as she looked over at the hamadryad, but only mustered a shrug and a slight smile.

"I'm sorry, dear, I memorized an elemental defense spell for today instead of the illusionary wall, thinking the group of us would need protection from the dragon's horrid breath. The rest of my spells are, well, to be perfectly honest they're quite violent. I'm afraid I don't share your particular conviction," she said, but hastened to add, "But with that said, I do agree we should try to subdue at least one of them for questioning. Let me see what the fates have to say..."

With that, she pulled three dice out of a pocket, knelt down and rolled them and consulted their results...

"Hmm. A bit of a mixed message. Whatever we do, we need to be cautious here."

Spoiler
    Show

I just realized I haven't chosen Mai's memorized encounter and daily powers for the in-game day (although based on her statement, one of them will be Mass Resistance). I won't be able to do that until later today, but I promise I will do it before the day's out.

But I will use my Dice of Auspicious Fortune here, since the last time I used it was a previous day.

(1d20)[3]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[16]

Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2013-03-07 at 12:29 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

15. - Top - End - #585
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Virgil shakes his head and rolls his eyes at the two women in the party. Never the stomach or sense for battle. Why did we bring them along?

"If I can get close enough to the target I can for a time remove him from the picture, but I doubt we'll have finished the battle before it awakes and I'm sure its orders are to run regardless of risk. Perhaps then it is not in our best interest to kill the messenger, but merely make his route impassable."

16. - Top - End - #586

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"I don't care how you do it, as long as Drakon is not aware of our intrusion until it is too late for him.

Lets move before we are discovered.

Virgil, lead the way then get as close as you can. We will move on your attack."

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

As he follows the rest of the party closer to the entrance, Ewin adresses the drow scout in a low voice. "How big is the entrance? Could we cut off the enemies' retreat inside with our numbers?"

He grips his shield tighter. This was going to need a good amount of coordination, and he had never fought together with the two newcomers.
    Certainly not the most optimal of situations..
    Currently playing:

18. - Top - End - #588
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

"With the five of us it is technically possible for us to form a wall across the cave mouth-it is only 25' across-but as much as that idea rings true with me I fear our composition is not quite 'right' to accomplish it. If we maintain the element of surprise this battle should swing to our favor, but I feel the chances of their escape are unacceptably high." he replies to the Tiefling. He keeps his voice low and moves as silently as he can manage in the underbrush of the forest. Virgil also keeps an eye out for any traps underfoot or movement up ahead.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+22)[29]
    Perception: (1d20+13)[20]

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

Everyone successfully makes it to about 50ft to the entrance of the mountain because that is about where the tree lines stops and were you to continue on, you would be quite exposed. The guards don't seem to notice anything going on in the forest, at the moment, and the roaming guards come back to the entrance. They sit there for a moment and talk with the opening's guards. One seems to be telling a joke because they all laugh, and then one dragonborn from the roaming squad says something and the squad walks back into the mountain, back to their walk.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #590
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Without so much as a gesture towards anyone Virgil makes a silent dash towards a set of rocks closer to the entrance. Finally, a real challenge. He thinks to himself adrenaline starting to pump through his veins.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (w/Shadow Stride): (1d20+22)[24]

21. - Top - End - #591

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Infernion strides forth confidently as his comrades in servitude rush around him. The spectral claw you all now know grabs onto the Kobold in the middle and throws it against one of the rocks, practically at Virgil's feet.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Q14 to M14 - Gain ShadowWalk (Concealment)
    Standard: Diabolic Grasp vs KR Fort(w/CA)
    attack: (1d20+20)[14](34)
    damage: (2d8+11)[7][2](20)
    • Slide KR 5 squares to G21
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-03-15 at 12:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

As he sees the Kobold Runner fly against one of the rocks near him, Virgil dashes from his hiding spot staying low. He draws his dagger from his sleeve in fluid practiced motion and cracks the Kobold on the head with its pommel. As he strikes the creature the blade seems to materialize in what a moment ago seemed to be his empty hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: F25 to F20 - Shadow Stride (1d20+22)[19](41)
    Standard: Knockout vs KR Fort
    Attack: (1d20+21)[18](39)
    Damage: (2d4+9)[4][1](14) + (3d8)[6][8][4](18) = (32)
    KR is unconscious (save ends or damage).

(I used my cloaked dagger.)
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-03-15 at 12:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

In a burst of leaves and small twigs, a figure clad in ornate plate armor rushes out of the treeline. In long strides, Ewin charges towards the kobold runner, determined to not let him escape into the cave entrance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to L17

Standard Action: Charge KR with Virtuous Strike
    Attack vs. AC - (1d20+21)[35]
    Damage - (1d8+9)[12]
    On hit: Gain +2 bonus to saving throws until the start of Ewin's next turn.
    Also on hit: Imperious majesty feat: target takes a -5 penalty to attack rolls against Ewin until the end of Ewin's next turn if KR hasn't already acted this encounter.
    Currently playing:

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Seeing that the boys had managed to get the runner away from the group, Mai began charging up her power source--her inner storm--which she would soon channel into destructive force. Glancing over at Petra with eyes crackling with electricity, she cautioned, "You may wish to avert your eyes," before striking her staff and orb together and unleashing a burst of blindingly bright lighting into the midst of Drakon's guards.

Spoiler
    Show

Move as minor action: activating Promise of Storm, gaining +1 to hit and +2d8+6 damage with lightning powers.

Standard action: Prismatic Burst, unfriendly area burst 2 within 20 centered at E-16, attack vs. Will (+2 from combat advantage, +1 from Elemental Echo).

vs. K1: (1d20+21)[39]
    vs. K2: (1d20+21)[29]
    vs. K3: (1d20+21)[31]
    vs. K4: (1d20+21)[34]
    vs. K5.1: (1d20+21)[41]
    vs. K5.2: (1d20+21)[32]
    vs. K5.3: (1d20+21)[37]
    vs. K5.4 (1d20+21)[32]
    vs. DB1: (1d20+21)[39]
    vs. DB2: (1d20+21)[28]

Hit: (3d6+26)[5][6][5](42) + (2d8)[8] radiant lightning damage (per Elements Unleashed) and blinded UEONT.
    Miss: Until end of target’s next turn, creatures have concealment against the target.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing what Miss Stormchaser meant, Petra shields her eyes with her hand. When she looks again, she finds four of the targets smoking on the ground and the rest stumbling around and rubbing their eyes.

"Wonderful," she sighs.

There isn't much that she can say to the unfortunate guards in this situation, so she decides to let them have the first word. In the meantime, she tries to use her surprise round efficiently, quietly praying that the backlash from the guards does not curtail the mission as she moves up behind the rock, near Infernion.

As if in response, an intangible shadow creeps out of the ground and covers the nearest dragonborn guard as though a cloud were passing overhead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to O14 and using Bane.
    (1d20+17)[30] vs. Will. (This is not counting combat advantage or any other effects besides Petra's static bonuses, if any.)
    On hit: DB2 takes -6 to attack rolls and defenses until the end of Petra's next turn.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-03-18 at 07:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1

All of the minions of Drakon were just standing around, shmoozing, and those than can understand Draconic hear them joking and talking about who owes who money, and such. All of a sudden, the little kobold in the center flew from the center of his comrades, landing outside of the cave. Then, before he could even say anything, Virgil knocks him out, laying him out on the ground. As he landed, Ewin comes and stabs him, hoping to finish the little guy off before he could run. Unfortunately for everyone, this strike instead awoke the little kobold up. When he finally looked around him, he saw the other guards wandering about, disoriented, and some of their bodies dead, smoking, on the ground. He immediately jumped up, and seemed to move at great speed, though, only Ewin was able to take a swing at him to stop his momentum. Then, he ran....leaving his friends behind.......as he has been ordered to do.......

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Move - Stand up
    Minor - Shifty to G20
    Minor - Shifty to H19
    Action Point!!!
    Move - to T38, Ewin gets an OA.

Virgil is up next
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-03-18 at 10:35 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

"For a runt it sure moves quickly. Next time why don't we stick to the plan and let the tried and true kidnappers handle the kidnapping?" Virgil says glowering at Ewin before standing. He mutters something under his breath and suddenly black and red leather armor materialize over his clothes as if they had been there the entire time. He quickly sheaths his dagger only to have another one materialize in his right hand. This one is different though. It's blade is lightly stained a brownish red, the color of blood. With armor on and dagger in hand Virgil rushes from behind the rock and darts past the guards into the cave mouth in pursuit of the runner. As he catches up Virgil moves to cut him off and after a quick aim takes a stab at the Kobold.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor Action: Summon Leather Armor (No change to AC since I forgot to subtract it in the first place)
    Minor Action: Summon Bloodiron Dagger from Gloves of Storing
    Move: F20 to C17
    Action Point (I always get a move action in addition to another action due to my Infiltrator's Action path feature when I use an action point)
    Move: C17 to S38
    Standard: Stunning Strike vs AC (w/Bloodiron Dagger)
    Attack: (1d20+20)[11](31)
    Damage: (1d4+9)[1](10) and KR is stunned UEONT.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

DB1, K2, K3

Virgil slips by one of the dragonborn and the kobolds who were still blinded by Mai's attack. Though they couldn't see anything, they hear him slip past and they swung wildly, not knowing where he was or if they would even hit him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Actions
    DB1 OA - (1d20+17)[14](31), (4d8+6)[5][1][1][6](19), shift to (1d7)[5] F18
    K2 OA - (1d20+16)[17](33), (2d8+14)[1][7](22), Virgil is marked
    K3 OA - (1d20+14)[1](15), (5d4+10)[2][3][2][2][4](23)
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-03-19 at 02:08 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

DB 1

As Virgil runs by, the dragonborn hears him and swings his sword in the drow's direction, surprisingly finding purchase. Shifting to the side to not let anyone else in, the dragonborn charges into the cave, hoping he can find the drow again and kill the annoying intruder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    The Dragonborn isn't sure where virgil went, so he is using a different method of attack
    Move - to T37
    Standard - Dragon's Breath, blast 3, not affected by blinded, VS Ref
    Virgil - (1d20+18)[8](26) (this is actually a 28, due to the dragonborn's aura
    Damage - (4d6+10)[1][3][1][3](18) fire and lightning damage

The upside is that this big dude is granting combat advantage still due to being blinded.

It is Infernion's turn.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-03-19 at 02:27 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

30. - Top - End - #600

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Infernion's bloodlust grows as the fight with the Dragonkin is joined. Launching into the air on his still immature Red wings he glides infront of the groping lizards. In a flash of sulfur and ash he appears behind them. A mighty roar bursts from his throat throwing them out of the mouth of the cave. A bit of life slips from the Kobold, joining itself to the smoke swirling around the little Red.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor: Curse DB2, K1
    Move: Fly 6 squares to G16 (continue Shadow Walk)
    Move: Ethereal Stride - teleport to E16, gain +2 to Defs UENT (rnd 2)
    Action Point!: Howl of Doom - Close Blast 3 E15 to G17- VS Fort
    PP effect - 11 Fire & Acid to K1, K2
    Attack:
    K1 (1d20+20)[17](37)
    DB2 (1d20+20)[13](33)
    K2 (1d20+20)[11](31)

Damage: (2d6+11)[3][3](17) Thunder damage and pushed up to 5 squares

Curse Damage:
    K1 (2d8)[2][8](10) + (1d8)[5](5) psychic
    DB2 (2d8)[4][4](8) + (1d8)[8](8) psychic

K1 pushed to I15
    DB2 pushed to H15
    K2 pushed to I17
    No Action: Hellfire Heart vs DB2
    9 Fire damage and -2 to attack rolls that include Infernion as a target ueInt (Rnd 2)
    Free Action: Bloodied Boon - gain 14 THP and remove curse from K1
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-03-19 at 03:40 PM.