New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [4e FR] The Five of the Realm - IC

Assuming we can go now?

Infernion

Infernion's power vaporises cave wall but little else. He moves up to threaten the kobold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Hand of Blight vs K3 (Fort)
    Attack: (1d20+22)[24]
    Damage: spend Fell Might (2d8+11)[23] necrotic & psychic and target grants CA ueInt
    Curse: (2d8)[2][5](7) damage & (1d8)[4] psychic damage
    Move: R38 to R37
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-04-07 at 01:24 PM.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tch! Now they're running away? I wasn't aware the little gecko's had females; let alone that they were allowed out of their caves. thought Virgil as he jabbed the creature in its gut during its run. He then followed it reaching around to slit its scaly throat.

Spoiler
    Show

OA vs K3 AC (w/ Bloodiron Dagger and CA)
    Attack: (1d20+22)[17](39)
    Damage: (1d4+11)[3](14)
    Move Action: L37 - S37
    Standard Action: Piercing Strike vs K3 Ref (w/ Bloodiron dagger)
    Attack: (1d20+18)[6](24) + 2 = (26)
    Damage: (1d8+9)[3](12) + 3 = (15)
    Sneak Attack Damage: (3d8)[2][4][7](13) (Applied to K3. Was waiting to see damage results before applying but I guess it didn't matter since I only had CA over K3)

My actions rely on a few things happening so I might have to adjust a bit depending on how things turn out. I'll update whatever changes need to be made without voiding the original rolls.

Edit: Ok so the little bugger didn't die so I have to change some stuff around. The change to my Standard actions were because I was hoping the little bugger would bugger off and I could shoot K2 with my crossbow which has a different attack mod and damage. I can reroll the damage completely though if need be since daggers are 1d4 and handcrossbows are 1d8. I will wait to add damage for my standard action until then.
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-04-07 at 09:39 PM.
    Amazing avatar done by Ceika! Thanks a bunch

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

K3

Just as the little Kobold could do nothing about his friend's demise, he could do nothing about his own, just watched at Virgil stabbed him as he ran by, and then saw the blade slice across his throat, spilling his blood on stone. Though with this kill, came a burst of arcane energies, washing over Virgil and Infernion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Action - VS Ref on Infernion and Virgil
    Infernion - (1d20+17)[2](19)
    Virgil - (1d20+17)[12](29)
    Damage - (3d8+12)[8][8][3](31), cold, fire, & lightning dmg

K2

Seeing his casters' demise, the little Kobold Leader, from what you can tell, does his best to take down Ewin before his own demise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions - Both on Ewin
    Minor - Recharged - vs Fort (1d20+19)[9](28)
    Damage - (3d8+8)[2][4][2](16), and Stunned (save ends)
    Standard - vs AC, (1d20+21)[19](40) (+2 if Ewin gets stunned)
    Damage - (2d8+14)[4][2](20), Ewin marked UEKNT
    Move - To H22 if Ewin is stunned, Shift to F18 if not

And the rest can go now.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-04-10 at 09:35 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

*BOOM*
    "What the -"
    *BOOM*

Drakon would force those in his employ to detonate themselves at the first sign of failure. Petra gets a sinking feeling as her bodyguard is banished by the explosions almost immediately upon getting involved.

At any rate, it would seem that the dragon's questionable security procedures didn't get him warned any faster in the end. He'll answer for them in one way or another. Meanwhile, one more kobold, as fervent in defense of the territory as his peers, more inclined to die as a stumbling block than live as a coward. Not much to be done about it, unfortunately.

Petra quickly apologizes for passing by Ewin without tending to him. Mai-Sal's next hit needs to count.

Spoiler
    Show
    Run to H17, use Favor of the Gods on Mai.
    The effect: Mai can reroll her next attack roll.

There's also a standard action that I need to roll for, but I already used the preview button again, so hold on for one moment...

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

The Dryad points to the kobold taking cover between some rocks, and with a prayerful gesture helps to guide Miss Stormchaser's magic through the obstacles.

"Last chance, small one. Surrender."

Spoiler
    Show
    Denunciation, because why not. 1d20 +17 -2 for running -2 for the concealment.
    (1d20+13)[20] vs. Will. On a hit, the kobold is dazed and takes -6 to attacks rolls and all defenses through Petra's next turn. If it lasts that long, Petra will probably extend it with Peacemaker's Pronouncement, too.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-04-10 at 03:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

In her dazed state, Mai wasn't able to vocalize her gratitude for the blessing, but she did nod in thanks before calling upon the storm once more--though she did alter her spell at the last second to be incapacitating rather than lethal.

Spoiler
    Show

As her only action of the round, Mai uses Winter's Wrath (changed to lightning damage per her paragon path), non-lethal just in case this guy isn't packing a suicide vest. I'll just center it right on top of K2.

(1d20+18)[21] vs. Fort
    Reroll if needed: (1d20+18)[24]

Edit: check the OOC thread for this, but I'm using one of her rolls from the Dice of Auspicious Fortune in place of this attack roll. 13+18=31.

Hit: (2d8+15)[5][7](27) lightning damage.
    Effect: Effect: burst creates zone that lasts UEMNT or dismiss as minor. Zone is lightly obscured and any creature ending its turn in it takes cold lightning damage = Int mod (6).

Saving throw: (1d20)[16]
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2013-04-10 at 04:00 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

After seeing the last little Kobold book it out of the cave, Petra ran after it, giving Mai some extra power for her next attack, and stopping the little Kobold from getting too far away from the group.

Even though Petra's extra power didn't help much, Mai still did have her saved power from her dice, and using that she fried the little kobold with her lightning, killing it deader than dead.

As you all stand there, victorious over these dragon-kin, something sticks in the back of your mind.....like you should be remembering something.....

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #638

PirateCaptain

Infernion

"The other guards will be back any moment. We must move the bodies and set an ambush. We cannot have them see us and simply flee back.

We must lure them out of the tunnel and attack them at the entrance. Ewin, can you be our wall? Perhaps Petra and aid you. Mai, Virgil, and I will provide the death."
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2013-04-14 at 11:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

The basics of Infernion's plan are pretty clear. Petra considers it momentarily as she tries to gauge the severity of her own bruises.

...they're not so bad. The plan, on the other hand...

"The patrol will most likely attempt to retreat back to their master upon noticing that their comrades are not present, correct? Given that, if our ambush is to be as effective as our efforts thus far, I would think that we should stage it before the entrance is clearly in their sight."

It is at around this time that she notices that the last kobold is still breathing.

"...alternately, there may be a way to circumvent them entirely, if we take the time to ask for one. It is within the local ethos to give one's loyalty to whoever defeats one's previous master, is it not?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I can edit that last sentence if IM says that this insight check would indicate that it unnecessary or weird: (1d20+29)[34]

She's also spending one healing surge; she's regained her composure after the headbonk. There is another lost surge from Gary's unfortunate run-in with the explosions, but that's not really an action or anything.

I guess the half-rest is my answer to, "why not use that last cool encounter power." Petra recovers the two spent healing word castings. (She has one more instance as a daily power on top of those.)
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-04-14 at 11:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640

PirateCaptain

edited previous post for better correctness

Infernion

"If they see us at all we have lost. They might come and fight us but will surely send one back to warn Drakon. We do not have the time to get an answer from this scaly scum." Infernion kicks the kobold.

"Mai, Petra. Can either of you provide the illusion of the guards being present?"

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm... no, I don't believe so... however..."

Petra brings to mind her One-minute Stone Shaping ritual and examines the cave walls, thinking of what she might do with them.

"I believe I can create a stone barrier capable of concealing us until they pass us by. Further, if I can maintain my focus on the ritual until then, I believe we may be able to effectively lock them out of their own cave without wasting further resources."

Petra carefully avoids mentioning how her plan will also avoid bloodshed, suspecting that Infernion wouldn't much care for that angle, but it's a pretty easy aspect to figure out.

"Miss Stormchaser, if I were to carve a thin, 10-foot deep trench in the ceiling..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's Petra's plan:

1. Create a thin, rocky shell around the party that doesn't use a ton of volume from her 10-foot-cubed limit, effectively letting them hide inside the wall.
    2. Slightly behind their hidden position, carve a 10-foot high wall set into the ceiling, allowing it to barely hang by a couple of points.
    3. After the ritual is complete, continue focusing on it without doing any additional carving.
    4. When the patrol passes by, make one last, tiny change to the sculpture, severing the mostly-complete wall from its surroundings.
    5. The wall drops into place, locking the patrol out.

Plan A effectively uses a total of 8 squares of affected stone:
    - 2 squares in the ceiling above each of, say, F36, F37, and F38
    - D39 and E39, which will serve as a hiding spot, albeit a cramped one.

If this plan doesn't hold up to scrutiny, there's also a simpler plan:
    1. Do step 1.
    2. When the patrol passes by, the party can push the shell over and jump out for their surprise round, now standing between the guards and their only way back in.

Thoughts?

EDIT: OOC discussion of The Plan should probably in the OOC thread, come to think of it.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-04-15 at 01:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

Mai shook her head at Infernion's question.

"No, that's beyond my power. Right about now I'm wishing I had paid better attention to my mistress's lectures on figments. Oh well, can't change the past," she shrugs, then looks up at the ceiling as Petra described her plan.

"That's... not a bad idea actually. Will you be able to handle both the barrier and the wall in that short amount of time? And, maybe more importantly, did anyone notice if there any other entrances nearby? I wouldn't want them to run around to the next cave over and alert anyone before we've had the chance to reach our objective."

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

"If I recall correctly, I believe that the other entrances are a fair distance away, and the last group didn't seem to consider going around to be an option. It should, at least, grant us plenty of time.

"However, regarding the barriers, I'm actually not quite sure... it depends on how much space we'll need..."

After spending a little time gesturing to various points in the cave and discussing physics and architecture, the magicians determine that, with some extra effort, Petra's ritual should be capable of the desired drop-down effect... but only if she focuses entirely on constructing the wall. She won't have time enough to create the hiding spot.

The team agrees to let her get started on it anyway, Infernion noting that at least it will keep the patrol's own runners from escaping their ambush.

Not long after Petra sets about her work, Mai snaps her fingers and reaches into her bag for her spellbook. Thumbing through the heavily-annotated tome, she ushers everyone to the interior side of the construction area, wondering why she didn't think of it immediately.

After asking the wizard to confirm the wall's likely efficacy, Petra continues to focus on the stone and produces one more vial of residuum to maintain the ritual. At the same time, Mai-Sal completes her own spell, motioning the rest of the group to lean against the wall as an illusory extension of the cave facing wraps around them.

Just in time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does this all look good?

I'll go deduct the cost of the ritual from Petra's reserve.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-04-18 at 01:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

The Partrol

Petra and Mai start weaving their magics, shaping the rocks not only above them, but also over them so they cannot be seen by the patrol. They work fast and quickly and manage to get themselves covered and ready by the time the patrol gets there. As soon as they pass, Petra drops the stone and Mai fills in the gap, praying to the gods the patrol doesn't notice what they are doing. As soon as the dust clears, the patrol is on the other side of the slab, and the party seems to be safe for now. Then, from the hole on the top of the slab, you hear the chattering of kobolds and the low rumble of dragonborn.

For those that speak Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They seems to be talking about a cave in and can't believe it happened again. They mention that Drakon won't be happy about this, and that he will definitely kill the dark dwarves this time for their shoddy work. Then they start complaining about having to go all the way around to the front of the mountain.

This talking takes about 1-2 minutes before they start to walk away.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't we be more likely to start down the hallway immediately, as soon as we know we're clear?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-04-30 at 12:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

As you take your short rest, you listen to the chattering of the kobolds and the answers of the dragonborn. After your rest is up and everyone seems to have caught their breath, you all move along. It is fairly dark once you turn the corner of the tunnel's bend and move away from what little light was shining through Mai's illusion. You walk through the tunnel and just when you think it is going to be pitch black, you see a torch. After that torch, there is another and the seem to be spaced just as one torch's light is fading, the next one picks up the light.

You seem to walk down this tunnel for longer than you expected to, then you see a large, bright end to the tunnel. When you get closer to it, you actually notice that the tunnel seems to be shrinking in a little bit, the closer you get. Until, eventually, everyone is crawling on their hands and knees up to the outlet of the tunnel. When you get to around 50ft of the tunnel's exit, you see some legs pass by from left to right, along with 4-5 pairs of little legs following them.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #647
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

Grumbling silently, Ewin crawls forward through the rocky tunnel. The awkward posture and the stiffness of his armor start to grate on his nerves, and his joints start to ache.
    "I just hope this tunnel doesn't collapse, as it seems to be frequent here..", he whispers, his voice just the tiniest bit worried.
    When he sees the bright exit of the tunnel, his hopes go up - exactly for so long as it takes him to see the moving feet in the distance.
    "Did anybody else see that? Is this the patrol we came upon earlier?"

Spoiler
    Show
    just to see if anything of import is visible: Perception - (1d20+12)[19]
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

This short time in the tunnel reminds Virgil somewhat of the Underdark. The feeling irritates him and he says nothing to his party members as they delve deeper.

At Ewin's whispered words Virgil nods, but isn't too sure if the feet belong to the wayward patrol. For all he knows it's the inner guard patrolling their own route. "The underlings are decent foe, but this Drakon will be more so. What is our plan for the beast? Against such a formidable opponent surprise is only a passing advantage." He whispers mostly to Ewin and Infernion, and somewhat to Mai. Petra doesn't even cross his mind.

With his question raised and the footsteps fading away, Virgil moves to the tunnel's end and cautiously peeks his head around the corner.
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-05-14 at 08:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

"No," he says to Ewin. "One Dragonborn and a handful of little lizards. It's to be expected though. Red, you were once an enemy; what do you remember of this place?

20. - Top - End - #650

PirateCaptain

Infernion

He takes a quick look out the tunnel, after the patrol is past. "We are closer then I could have hoped to Drakon's inner chamber.

This far inside his mountain it is sparsely guarded, though the guards are very powerful. I am almost sure the Drakon will be in his chambers since Reds and he in particular trust no one to guard their treasure. There are two entrances to the chamber that I know of. They are close together with no cover on either one."

Infernion's claws dig into the stone of the tunnel. "We need to move now, before that patrol we trapped outside warns him."

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

As you all whisper to each other, trying to figure out what move to make next, you see another patrol walking in front of the hole you are looking out of and start talking in Draconic.

Those that know Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sharp, high voice, "Drakon want him now?"
    A deeper voice, "Yes. He shall see the prisoner now. Run and get him and bring him to our god."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Already this close to the dragon's personal quarters, and a few guards are going off to get a prisoner?

"Good; we should not have to fight past too many, then. This sounds like our chance."

23. - Top - End - #653

PirateCaptain

Infernion translates to the rest. "I agree with the Thief, we should move now."

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Mai-Sal

As Mai was gearing up to get ready to move, she looked askance at Infernion after his last statement.

"I've noticed you have a problem with names. Is that common to reds, or is that just you?" she asked semi-sarcastically, then shrugged and said, "Well, whatever. You're right, this is our chance, though I do wonder who that prisoner is."

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ewin

The tiefling gives a short nod, not taking his eyes from the opening in front for a second.
    "We will find out soon enough, I'd wager. Very well then, let's do this."
    With this, Ewin pulls his sword and slowly starts moving forward, shield raised cautiously.
    Currently playing:
    Davion, Tiefling Illusionist - The Goddess Liberators
    Ewin, Tiefling Paladin - The Five of the Realm (FR)

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

After waiting for the Patrol to pass you by, Ewin sticks his head out of the small hole to see if anyone, or any thing, is still around. The larger tunnel seems clear so he squeezes out of the hole and motions the rest of everyone to come out. Once you all make it out of the cramped tunnel, you look down the tunnel both ways. There doesn't seem to be anyone there.....for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are now faced with the classic adventurer's decision....left or right

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #657

PirateCaptain

Infernion

Keeping his voice down Infernion says "I don't know which way, but we may be able to determine it. Great Reds produce large amounts of heat. If we can tell which direction is warmer it should be the right way"

Dungeoneering:
    (1d20+6)[9]
    Perception:
    (1d20+6)[23]

28. - Top - End - #658
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgil

Mustering the stuff of shadows, Virgil steps out with the rest of the cast keeping close to the wall. With the Infernion's comment, he starts attempting to detect any temperature change and any tunnels that seem to be brighter on one end.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+22)[15](37)
    Perception: (1d20+13)[7](20)
    Last edited by Sabishii; 2013-05-27 at 12:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra isn't sure about this heat-based detection scheme, and calls to mind the directions the guards were going.

"The second patrol mentioned getting a prisoner and, 'bringing,' him. I would assume that the dragonborn in that group just got the order from their master."

Spoiler
    Show
    Which way did those guards go?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-05-29 at 09:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

ALL

As you are all standing there, discussing on what you want to do, you all look to your right and see a little kobold about 70 feet away turn a corner and stop and look at you. Both parties pause for a moment and look at each other, the kobold quite surprised to be looking at all of you. After a couple of seconds of surprise, the little kobold immediately turns and runs down the hallway from where he came.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally