New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The abridged series

So, I was a bit late to the party fo the abridged series, and I must say it's actually funny. (which is rare these days on the internet swince I outgrew 7th grade), especially the Hellsing ones. So, what your favorite abridgedseries/episode?
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The abridged series

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged and the Team Four Star DBZ Abridged are the two that stand out the most to me. The former didn't just kick off the genre, but has managed to stay one of the best ever since - the latter is the concept executed almost to perfection right from the very first episode. Better or not than YGOTAS is not something you will get a straight answer on out of me, but I won't contradict anyone who says DBZ Abridged is the best of them all.

Apart from those two, there aren't many Abridged series I follow. Nullmetal Alchemist has been thoroughly amusing so far. Hellsing Ultimate Abridged has been brilliant in every one of the three episodes, but there's perhaps not enough of it there just yet to call it a series.

There are others I've watched part of the distance, but they've never stuck.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Uhm... I still like the classic YuGiOh Abridged Series, the probably most famous Dragonball Z and as you mentioned Hellsing is pretty hilarious.

Naruto Abridged wasn't that bad either but from I gathered they stopped doing it because one of the creators was a ****(?).

Apart from that... I've seen a few others, many Gundam Abridged (the G Gundam was was pretty nice but I think it's cancelled after a few episodes) but to be honest none others I saw really caught my attention that much. I'm open for suggestions of great other abridged shows, though.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Naruto Abridged wasn't that bad either but from I gathered they stopped doing it because one of the creators was a ****(?).
    I think MasakoX who did the mixing ran out of time and/or inclination to edit it or something - the movie first part of the movie was not well received at all (I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't as good as it had been previously), so the later parts weren't made and then MasakoX decided to move on (he's still doing DBZ Abridged, of course). Vegeta3986 did one more episode with a new voice actor as far as I know, but it just lacked something and I think it just quietly faded out.

I notice Vegeta3986 is also no longer doing DBZ Abridged, either, so despite the preportedly amicable split, something must have gone on there.

At it's height Naruto Abridged was my favourite, largely because I actually watch the show it was based on.

The other big abridged series worth mention was Lanipator's Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged, which again seems to have fallowed due to DBZ Abridged. Which is, to be fair, probably the single biggest concentration of talent. (The fact LK manages to keep Yugioh Abridged to such a high standard so as not to automatically mean DBZA is the unqualified best almost as a solo act is nothing but a testament to his skills.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I've seen Hellsing Abridged (pretty funny) and Berserk abridged (not bad). Never got into Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ or any of those, simply because I haven't seen the series in question and don't think I would really care.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I've seen Hellsing Abridged (pretty funny) and Berserk abridged (not bad). Never got into Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ or any of those, simply because I haven't seen the series in question and don't think I would really care.
    well, stumbled on ygxtas and I liked it... without knowing the original series, so it's not mandatory to have seen the series while watching the abridged series...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Only watched DBZ. Its amazing. I went as Popo to a mates party and spent the evening doing his evil laugh.
    I don't know if Yu Gi Oh is better but DBZ Abridged is signifigantly better than DBZ the original
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

DBZ Abridged has stood out as my favorite. What I like about it is the effort put into the episodes. They voice quality is good and well-synched, they add little effects and things that add more humor to the scenes, and still manage to tell the actual DBZ story.

Although Team Four Star only abridged 3 episodes of Hellsing, that remains the favorite of my roommate.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged stands on it's own as just being funny. Familiarity with the show is really not required. (Heck, I've have seen exactly one episode of the actual show and it was enough to make me go "yeah... no. Just... no.")

So I would definately give it a shot, if you can find the time; LK is extremely talented. (The show's home site is probably the easiest place to locate it all.)

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Although Team Four Star only abridged 3 episodes of Hellsing, that remains the favorite of my roommate.
    TFS did another abridged series?

Well, I'll have to look into that one, then!

Edit: I could have sworn someone mention LK had done NGE as a one-shot earlier in the thread, but damned if I can see it ('cos I didn't know about it and went immediately to google it).

No, wait, it was just co-incidence; Linkara used a line from it in this week's At4W that I watched today!

Anyhoo, 45 seconds in and simply replcaing the title music with Red Dwarf has already made it hilariously better than the original. Also, it's Red Dwarf, so he gets extra special bonuses for that..!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2013-06-18 at 06:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ abridged, of course. They're the two big ones, and always will be.

It's hard to watch one of a show you've never seen, but I can't help but laugh at LittleKuriboh's Naruto spoof as well.

One that doesn't seem to get enough attention, is 1Kids' Pokemon 'Bridged. Other than the fact that Nowacking does not have the capability to do more than one voice, it's very well done and hilarious.

Hellsing is good, but it's only at, what, four episodes so far?

Nullmetal Alchemist isn't bad for a Full Metal Alchemist Abridged, if you don't mind the characters having British accents.

Friendship is Witchcraft is ok, but doesn't really follow the typical trends of abridged series. No pop culture references; they keep it pretty much in-universe. Of course, it's THEIR universe to create, so the happenings are still pretty good, and well-created for a show that was just "play it by ear" style.

Feel like I'm missing one. But nobody seems to talk about Pokemon 'Bridged anywhere I go. It's worth the watch.

If you're reluctant to watch Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, give it a shot at least for a few episodes in season 2. The quality gets a lot better, much more so than any other series. You also have to remember, that's ONE guy doing all the voices.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-06-18 at 06:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I thought the Sailor Moon abridged series was pretty funny as well.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot one I like and still follow rather enthusiastically: Lord Quadros Metal Gear Solid Abridged. It's just as weird as the original game is but so far he's only somewhere into the second game... And he seems to be quite busy lately.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

only one I bother with is team four star's DBZ abridged. its pretty awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aside from the big ones (Yugioh TAS, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho [or however it's spelled], Sailor Moon Abridged) I'd have to say my favorite is Code MENT. It's not very helpful understanding the plot of the series it's based on but it's by far the funniest I've seen. I can barely watch Suzaku talking in the original show without dying laughing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Never got into Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ or any of those, simply because I haven't seen the series in question and don't think I would really care.
    I've never seen DBZ. The abridged series is still hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Friendship is Witchcraft is ok, but doesn't really follow the typical trends of abridged series. No pop culture references; they keep it pretty much in-universe. Of course, it's THEIR universe to create, so the happenings are still pretty good, and well-created for a show that was just "play it by ear" style.
    I'm not sure if FiW counts as an "Abridged Series." The first episode is the only one that really tries to condense the original plot. The rest of the series just uses My Little Pony's visuals to tell its own (hilarious) story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #16

I feel like Takahata's Hellsing abridged is my favorite. I don't know why but it just tickles my funny bone in all the right places.

I don't know if I like YuGiOh or DBZ better. I like them just as much as each other I guess.

1Kids' Pokemon is pretty good. I also really like Nullmetal Alchemist for its nonsensicalness.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I'm not sure if FiW counts as an "Abridged Series." The first episode is the only one that really tries to condense the original plot. The rest of the series just uses My Little Pony's visuals to tell its own (hilarious) story.
    Yeah, but I think it's more due to the fact the actual show doesn't really tell a story. I like to add it, just because there needs to be more good abridged series.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-06-18 at 02:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I recently found Mirai Nikki An Abridged Series which has been a lot of fun to watch. Besides that and Nullmetal Alchemist I watch all the classic ones, including the stuff by HBI2K.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I love Code Ment. Speaking of which Im going to go watch some :)

The YGO GX one by DarkSideCorporated is pretty good as well.
    Last edited by Jordan Cat; 2013-06-19 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garazza
    You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

now seen both yu-gi-oh tas and ygxtas (including the movies) and it's really hilarious
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see here, I love DBZ abridged (because it's amazing) along with Hellsing Abridged (same verse as the first). YuGiOh abridged is alright with it becoming less funny as time goes on. I like Avatar abridged but it almost never updates.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #22

OrcBarbarianGuy

None Piece and Code Ment are also exemplary additions to the genre

23. - Top - End - #23

PaladinGuy

Like most people here, I pretty much stayed on Yu Gi Oh and DBZ Abridged. I tried Naruto and Hellsing Abridged, but I was not entirely convinced.

Well, there's also Saint Seiya Abridged that was pretty brilliant. Only, it's in french. So... yeah.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

I got to know Yugioh through YGOTAS. I think YGOTAS is indeed the best thing ever to happen to the franchise; it renewed a lot of interest in it down right to the ridiculous concept of world run on cardgames.

YGOTAS and TFS Abridged are still the only ones I really bother watching; tried Sailor Moon, Naruto, Hellsing, etc. but they just weren't as awesome. Also, I think TFS is actually a better telling of DBZ than the original anime (Popo, Guru, Frieza, Gohan, they're all brilliant characters and much more interesting than the originals, even as the gimmicky caricatures they are; originals aren't much different, just less interesting), much like YGOTAS is a better version of the original Yugioh.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-06-21 at 07:36 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Also, I think TFS is actually a better telling of DBZ than the original anime (Popo, Guru, Frieza, Gohan, they're all brilliant characters and much more interesting than the originals, even as the gimmicky caricatures they are; originals aren't much different, just less interesting).
    I'm told that slashing ~60% of the show's running time does wonders for its pacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

I can't recomend enough the JJBATAS - Jojo Bizarre Adventure Abridged. It's simply amazing. Done by Antfish, the Gnyu in DBZ abridged.
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2013-06-22 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    I can't recomend enough the JJBATAS - Jojo Bizarre Adventure Abridged. It's simply amazing. Done by Antfish, the Gnyu in DBZ abridged.
    I, DIO, agree with that assessment.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I've just noticed I like the negi abridged series. It's quite funny...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

29. - Top - End - #29

EvAbridged isn't bad, but it's core jokes are 'Shut up Shinji' and 'it's an aaaaaaaaaaangel' which gets old really quick.

Guru/Super Kami Guru is so far the best part of DBZA.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2013-07-15 at 03:02 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Nullmetal alchemist is pretty hilarious and well executed particularly the later episodes.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show