New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Flee

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default To Boldly Flee

So anyone else catch the trailer for the 4th year anniversary of TGWTG? Can't really say much about it. The whole thing is pretty vague. At least last year we saw them in costumes. Any speculation on what it will be about or how it will turn out?

Personally, I liked Kickassia the best, then Suburban Knights. Regarding To Boldly Flee, if that aweful Block Buster Buster is in it'll be ruined. I hate that guy. He is by far my least favorite reviewer on the site (heck, probably the whole internet). If he's in it and isn't horribly beaten, To Boldly Flee will be terrible. I do hope That Sci Fi Guy is in it. That guy's awesome.

So anyway, thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: To Boldly Flee

I think my excitement has been coloured by the fact that it'll be bittersweet to see Spooney's last ride on TGWTG. The crossovers and cameos just won't be the same without him in the future. (I'm just hoping Linkara will occasionally have him show up anyway, as a mate, but I don't know if that will be feasible or allowed or not.)

It's so sad to see that sort of thing happen (whatever the real reasons were, in the end, behind the hearsay and bad blood an fan speculation/anger), since they all always seemed to all be getting on so well and be so friendly with each other, and such a nice crowd of folks. (Well, to be fair, it's been sad to see Noah's decline (in terms of physical and mental health) in the last year or two, so it's perhaps not as totally unexpected as I first thought.)

But I'm expecting great things from Boldly Flee, nevertheless.

I have to concede you on Kickassia though. I really liked Suburban Knights, but then realised I've only watched that the once, and I must have watched Kickassia three or four times.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-06-27 at 06:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I think my excitement has been coloured by the fact that it'll be bittersweet to see Spooney's last ride on TGWTG. The crossovers and cameos just won't be the same without him in the future. (I'm just hoping Linkara will occasionally have him show up anyway, as a mate, but I don't know if that will be feasible or allowed or not.)
    Wait, what?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

{{Scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-07-04 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Wait, what?
    Spooney has offically parted ways from TGWTG as of about last week, I think. I only know myself from an offhand comment in the comments on Linkara's latest review.

Officially, it's an amicable parting, but there is some suggestion - which may or may not be true, I really wouldn't hazard a guess to say - that there was some incidents between Noah and some of the other staff priorly (starting with a tweet from Noah in poor taste to one of the other reviewers) that may have had some effect; and some staff (allegedly) and one former TGWGT member have been quite vitriolic about Noah since. (But then again, it may be that CA decided that he's not putting out enough stuff or something, I really don't know, nor am prepared to speculate, given the general ire that seems to have been aroused by the situation.) I really don't know in truth who is to blame - even if there really is someone to blame.

Suffice it to say, I just think that it's very sad that it's happened, whatever it was that really happened, and it's cast something of a pall over the community. Probably because Noah was a high-profile figure that was quite friendly with a lot of them, so of course, it's always sad to see friends fall out and people take sides (whether or not it is justified.)

(You'll note I deliberately having been naming names, because, the internet being what it is, it's all too easy for people to start speculating and directing their anger at the wrong people, which in turn, merely exacerbates the situaition, and I'd rather not be party to that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    I have no idea what TGWTG is outside of a horrible abuse of the alphabet. However, seeing who produced the first two three posts makes this the mostly aptly named thread ever.

Run away.
    My goodness, Fragenstein, that almost makes it sound like you don't like me...!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-06-27 at 06:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

My goodness, Fragenstein, that almost makes it sound like you don't like me...!
    Oh, I like you just fine. I just live in massive fear of you, is all.

I've seen your Ponythread contributions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I like you just fine. I just live in massive fear of you, is all.

I've seen your Ponythread contributions.
    *tips helmet*

I try my best...

Now if you'll excuse me, I suddenly feel the urge to laugh manically for ten minutes straight.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-06-27 at 07:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, the trailer is out? Hang on, gotta watch it.

That didn't tell me anything! Maybe that it will be sci-fi, but that doesn't say much!

Oh, I saw the comment about Spoony on Linkara's review too. I tried to look around and figure out what happened. I won't pretend to know. I just hope this won't be the moment we look back and say, "Yeah, this is where the site started to die."
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I have no idea what TGWTG is outside of a horrible abuse of the alphabet. However, seeing who produced the first two three posts makes this the mostly aptly named thread ever.

Run away.
    Being in the same boat, I looked it up. It's That Guy With The Glasses they're talking about. Which is a thing. One which has almost entirely passed me by.

I've little time for reviews, witty or otherwise.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Spooney has offically parted ways from TGWTG as of about last week, I think. I only know myself from an offhand comment in the comments on Linkara's latest review.

Officially, it's an amicable parting, but there is some suggestion - which may or may not be true, I really wouldn't hazard a guess to say - that there was some incidents between Noah and some of the other staff priorly (starting with a tweet from Noah in poor taste to one of the other reviewers) that may have had some effect; and some staff (allegedly) and one former TGWGT member have been quite vitriolic about Noah since. (But then again, it may be that CA decided that he's not putting out enough stuff or something, I really don't know, nor am prepared to speculate, given the general ire that seems to have been aroused by the situation.) I really don't know in truth who is to blame - even if there really is someone to blame.

Suffice it to say, I just think that it's very sad that it's happened, whatever it was that really happened, and it's cast something of a pall over the community. Probably because Noah was a high-profile figure that was quite friendly with a lot of them, so of course, it's always sad to see friends fall out and people take sides (whether or not it is justified.)

(You'll note I deliberately having been naming names, because, the internet being what it is, it's all too easy for people to start speculating and directing their anger at the wrong people, which in turn, merely exacerbates the situaition, and I'd rather not be party to that.)
    No!

I mean...

NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

They did officially announce Spoony's departure this week. It smells of covering for acrimonious private matters but is none of my concern.

And I will probably watch the anniversary special just to see who shows up and figure out how little I know of the site. Because I watch Linkara's stuff and that's about it.

And I'm kinda mixed on their huge crossover things, I think I liked the Southland Tales review (which has a seriously high number of appearances) better then either Kickassia or Suburban Knights.

12. - Top - End - #12

Well, that was certainly interesting. It really didn't tell us much that we didn't know - i.e., it's going to be sci-fi and presumably some of it will take place in space - but I am genuinely curious now.

I'm pretty excited for this. I'm with you on liking Kickassia more than Suburban Knights, but I enjoyed them both. Plus I recall hearing that this is going to be the last really big anniversary video, so hopefully it'll leave a mark.

RE: Spoony - I didn't watch many of his videos apart from his Ultima retrospective, but I'm sad to see him go. I always liked what I did see of him on other contributor's videos. I've heard a lot about his declining health, hopefully he can focus on that for a while.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    RE: Spoony - I didn't watch many of his videos apart from his Ultima retrospective, but I'm sad to see him go. I always liked what I did see of him on other contributor's videos. I've heard a lot about his declining health, hopefully he can focus on that for a while.
    He'll still be producing videos on his own site.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

So I saw Kickassia again today, and I finally noticed TFS's cameo. Though to be fair, first time I saw it I didn't even know what Team Four Star was.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I don't know about Linkara, but Angry Joe has said that he'd happily keep producing stuff with Spoony, despite the messy break away from TGWTG. So, there's that
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post
    I don't know about Linkara, but Angry Joe has said that he'd happily keep producing stuff with Spoony, despite the messy break away from TGWTG. So, there's that
    I've gathered that Linkara and Spoony are still friends (sounds like Linkara, being the solid chap he is, is trying to be peacemaker, anyway), it's just whether or not Channel Awesome itself will/would levy any restrictions, is all. I really hope not, but we'll see.

Still, Spoony posted the trailer for Boldly Flee on his website, with a (mostly unheeded *eyeglow roll*) request to keep the comments civil, so there's clearly not too much animosity, thankfully.

17. - Top - End - #17

But I'm expecting great things from Boldly Flee, nevertheless.

I have to concede you on Kickassia though. I really liked Suburban Knights, but then realised I've only watched that the once, and I must have watched Kickassia three or four times.
    Definitely the same here--3-4 for Kickassia, .9 for SK (I skipped through some sections I found annoying). SK does have the best bit from the both of them however--the intro with Joe. Magnificent.

I'm also a little worried about Spoony. Things just seem to keep piling up on the dude. I hope this doesn't become the part we all look back at and think 'That was where Noah started his decline.'
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    Definitely the same here--3-4 for Kickassia, .9 for SK (I skipped through some sections I found annoying). SK does have the best bit from the both of them however--the intro with Joe. Magnificent.
    Agreed:

"You killed my hamster!"
    "That's not even a person!"

19. - Top - End - #19

My problems with Suburban Knights:

-Costumes. The reviewers are already characters, seperate from their real life personalities. We don't need to layer ANOTHER character atop of that.
    -Do your research Doug. If people sacrifice their time and money on travel and costumes to participate in your movie, you at least owe them to get their character name right.
    -Several smaller reviewers are very funny regardless of their popularity and they were underused. Such as Todd in the Shadows or Paw. But even big ones like Cinema Snob were underused as well. Why?
    -Too much walking around doing nothing.

Kickassia did not avoid all pitfalls but did a better job overall. This, I can only hope for the best. Hope for best, but prepare for mediocre, because unfortunately Doug tends to be a "I don't listen to everyone, I have my own script prepared already and we're doing this MY way" type of a boss, and he is nowhere near as good a director and storywriter as he thinks he is.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. Trailer doesn't really tell me anything, nor hype me up. And the name confuses the heck out of me.

But honestly, I've become pretty ambivalent to the anniversary videos. Kickassia excited me when it was announced, and I enjoyed it as it was being put up, but the only part I've ever wanted to re-watch is the Doctor Insano vs N. Bison fight. Suburban Knights I enjoyed the first part of, but was less than impressed with the rest, aside from a few scattered jokes, and I've never re-watched any of it.

So, yeah, I'll watch it, but I'm not expecting to be a big fan. I think the reviewers do better at their actual reviews than in these amateur movies.

Re: Spoony - I know little of the situation there I'm afraid. I noticed his videos and the link to his site disappear from TGWTG last week, and checked his site and then his Twitter account to see what was up with that. What I saw on the latter was vague, but told me enough that I'm certain the breakup was not voluntary on his part, was the result of something he did, and resulted in some bad blood with some people. What he did and who it created bad blood with, I haven't a clue. I'm honestly baffled as to what it could be, since I have never gotten the impression that Channel Awesome is particularly restrictive as far as their reviews' conduct goes, yet I also don't get the impression that whatever he did was so awful it would be a crime or anything like that.

Whatever it is, I'd agree with our resident Lich's expressed views about it. I hope he can still collaborate with the reviewers he's still on good terms with, which seem to at least include Angry Joe and Linkara. And yes, it'll be bittersweet to see his last appearance in a big TGWTG crossover with this.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

I think one of the problems with Suburban Knights is length. Kickassia is arguably better because it's short and sweet. They don't drag anything out and it's a good example of why less is more. I kind of feel that made long anniversary videos isn't their strength. We all want to try and out do our previous achievements, but at some point you just have to accept the fact you can't. I think a shorter series of videos would be much better.

Agree? Disagree?

22. - Top - End - #22

I think one of the problems with Suburban Knights is length. Kickassia is arguably better because it's short and sweet. They don't drag anything out and it's a good example of why less is more. I kind of feel that made long anniversary videos isn't their strength. We all want to try and out do our previous achievements, but at some point you just have to accept the fact you can't. I think a shorter series of videos would be much better.

Agree? Disagree?
    I'd agree. Really, I'd like a longer one just because, well, I like the anniversary videos and would like to have more of them, but realistically I think the type of humor these guys do best is better suited to shorter things.

Although, like tensai_oni, I feel Suburban Knights had too much 'walking around talking'. If there was more legitimate, interesting content to fill a longer video, that'd be cool. Unfortunately I've also gotten the sense that Doug doesn't take well to criticism or even help writing, and while I do love his videos and I do enjoy the anniversaries, he does worse when he takes himself seriously. Suburban Knights was a bit more serious than Kickassia, and I think that was also a problem. The teaser for To Boldly Flee took itself very seriously, so hopefully that was just a joke of the teaser and not indicative of the film.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Agree? Disagree?
    Agree, to an extent. I don't think the relative lengths of Kickassia and Suburban Knights really make a difference to me, but I do think that shorter works are what the TGWTG crew's comedy is better suited for - and obviously it's the comedy that ought to be the point of these, not any attempts at serious storytelling, which none of the TGWTG crew has displayed real aptitude for (that I've seen).

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if it's necessarily length, but I do believe that Suburban Knights definitely felt more empty, like less happened. There seemed more of a real sequence to Kickassia (they invade, succeed, Nostalgia Critic goes insane with power, people gradually turn against him and overthrow him, then they all leave). Suburban Knights felt more like it was just them running around for a while until it hit the climax.

I guess overall Suburban Knights felt like the events in it could be reordered significantly easier than Kickassia, showing how the events of Kickassia led to each other whereas Suburban Knights was kind of a bunch of random stuff that happened and then the ending. Which to be fair describes the first, but the first was only one video rather than multiple ones.

I don't know if that's necessarily a consequence of the length, but this was something that stood out at me overall and a big reason why I liked Kickassia more. Plus I thought it was more funny as well.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

It was really a trailer so much as a long-form announcement. Seriously, all it basically tells you is that there will be an anniversary special this year and that (thankfully) Spoony hasn't been edited out of it.
    I'll probably still be watching it anyway, though.

Personally, I liked Kickassia the best, then Suburban Knights. Regarding To Boldly Flee, if that aweful Block Buster Buster is in it'll be ruined.
    I dunno, Doug's been fairly good at creating roles that are at least watchable for critics who aren't particularly entertaining on their own (e.g. Phelous, Lee). I'll admit I haven't seen much of BB's stuff, but I don't think he'll necessarily be a huge problem in that regard even if he is in it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I don't understand TGWTG. Every video with their group has caused me to cringe in embarrassment, or to immediately turn off due to it either: a) not being funny in the slightest, or b) being annoying. Then again, I don't understand much nowadays, pony craze included... so maybe I'm just detached from the internet nerd culture.

That said, I do sort of like Spoony. Some of his earlier stuff before his mental breakdown was good, and I can honestly say some of his Counter Monkey stuff helped me better myself as a DM. However, after watching all of five minutes of his Pathfinder lifestream, I realized he's not even a very good DM, just a good storyteller and teacher. That's okay with me.

So anyway, I watched the trailer and it was pretty generic. What's appealing about this again? Is Glasses Guy still doing the whole "omfg im suffering let me yell loudly at this generic old stuff" shtick?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm I do think he is a pretty good dm but then again what a good dm is is extremely subjective and a lot also depends on the players that are currently playing (especially if you have new players playing for the first time etc).

As for the anniversary videos, my main problem is that the only one that can act good is brad with spoony and linkara being okay (if over the top), the rest though is just plain bad mostly.
    Hopefully this time the script is not so all over the place as the last one was.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-06-30 at 08:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Call it a mad, stupid theory or a case of denial, but here's my guess: Spoony is not actually leaving Channel Awesome.

Think about last year, with a big spoiler in the middle of the film...
    Spoiler
    Show
    That Dude in the Suede returning to CA. Remember the out-of-character build-up to subvert anybody guessing that? They had Suede tweet about how he was leaving Channel Awesome for good, they had numerous denials Suede was ever involved, and Suede giving official comments he was no where near the shooting.

And it worked. That scene with his return was legitimately shocking and incedibly well set up. Even if your opinion of Suburban Knights was lukewarm or worse, most people agree that was a pretty cool twist. I think, because of the overwhelmingly positive reaction to it, they're trying to set up something like that again. Only since there is no incredibly popular reviewer able to return (and they already did that), they'd do it with a reviewer they felt confident wouldn't lose any fans over this, like Spoony.

My guess? They'll have him fake-die in the film. Everybody will think it's a great big send off to Noah because he won't be coming back. Then he will, and everybody will be surprised.

Just my theory, anyway. It's probably wrong, and I highly doubt it's right, but there you go.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2012-06-30 at 09:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Another thing is Kickassia had a clear plot point for each installment. Suburban Knights not so much. It was mostly walking, and this thing happens. More walking, and maybe a plot point. I mean, you could say that about Lord of the Rings, but at least that had plenty of character development throughout it. In Suburban Knights, we already knew these characters and there wasn't much to develop except the villain and the relationship between PB and Mark.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Call it a mad, stupid theory or a case of denial, but here's my guess: Spoony is not actually leaving Channel Awesome.

Think about last year, with a big spoiler in the middle of the film...
    Spoiler
    Show
    That Dude in the Suede returning to CA. Remember the out-of-character build-up to subvert anybody guessing that? They had Suede tweet about how he was leaving Channel Awesome for good, they had numerous denials Suede was ever involved, and Suede giving official comments he was no where near the shooting.

And it worked. That scene with his return was legitimately shocking and incedibly well set up. Even if your opinion of Suburban Knights was lukewarm or worse, most people agree that was a pretty cool twist. I think, because of the overwhelmingly positive reaction to it, they're trying to set up something like that again. Only since there is no incredibly popular reviewer able to return (and they already did that), they'd do it with a reviewer they felt confident wouldn't lose any fans over this, like Spoony.

My guess? They'll have him fake-die in the film. Everybody will think it's a great big send off to Noah because he won't be coming back. Then he will, and everybody will be surprised.

Just my theory, anyway. It's probably wrong, and I highly doubt it's right, but there you go.
    I don't think so. They'd have to do the fake-death in the film in such a way that it looked like it was edited in after the falling-out, not planned from the start, which I sincerely doubt they'd do. For one, it'd be difficult to pull off, and very jarring to see. For another there's too much potentially for ticking off fans, both while the fake-out is being believed and after its revealed as a fake-out.

Zevox