New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Flee

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: To Boldly Flee

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Call it a mad, stupid theory or a case of denial, but here's my guess: Spoony is not actually leaving Channel Awesome.
    No.

Spoony burned bridges with the biggest torches he could find, as the saying goes. If it's a publicity stunt for the fourth year anniversary, my only thought would be that someone at ThatGuyWiththeGlasses has very sick tastes.

As for the fourth anniversary itself...meh. There's a certain camp factor in these anniversary videos, certainly, but I've become less and less enamored with TGWTG as time has gone on. After the "new car smell" of it wore off, I started watching less and less contributors to the site, and by now I don't even watch all of the videos of the contributors I do follow.
    LGBTitP

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if this is to be believed, I now know what happened between Spoony and Channel Awesome. No wonder everybody's trying to keep it quiet.

Needless to say, I retract my dumb "faking it for the movie spoiler" theory.

Oh man. Poor Spoony. It looks like some kind of mental breakdown for him. I hope he'll pull himself together soon and patch things up with CA.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2012-07-06 at 10:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Well, if this is to be believed, I now know what happened between Spoony and Channel Awesome. No wonder everybody's trying to keep it quiet.
    Yeah the site is actually completely wrong (the fun thing is you actually see the date of the tweets and the date the article was made...)

Which were immediately objected to by yet another TGWTG reviewer, Obscurus Lupa:
    this happened a month+ later not immediately, in fact the situation was long resolved Spoony apologized to JO and got a 4 week ban from tgwtg,
    then it was brought up again after Dough was on his honeymoon and his brother on vacation as well.

Yes I think she saw her chance there to get one up on spoony (not to get him fired though this just spiraled out of control).

Anyway as for the rape joke... tgwtg is full of rape jokes donīt really see how this one is soooo out of bounds.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-07-06 at 10:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

I always wondered when this site was going to start going downhill, but I always thought it would come in the form of one too many unfunny reviews or running out of material to lampoon. Watching everyone attack each other like this is just...disappointing.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    I always wondered when this site was going to start going downhill, but I always thought it would come in the form of one too many unfunny reviews or running out of material to lampoon. Watching everyone attack each other like this is just...disappointing.
    Indeed. I lost an awful lot of respect for some contributors that I previously quite liked. Everybody involved made some very bad mistakes, except for JesuOtaku herself, who seems to have handled it very well by, you know, not getting involved with any of it. If only everyone had taken her example.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Anyway as for the rape joke... tgwtg is full of rape jokes donīt really see how this one is soooo out of bounds.
    Obscurus Lupa explains this in her blog:

Let me talk about why it offended me, versus something like Spooning With Spoony. The joke was about a co-worker, with no other context, in front of her boyfriend, and with nothing to instigate it. It was not “in-character,” it was about someone he knew. Spooning With Spoony? Everyone is in on the joke. Is it dark? Yes. Offensive? Probably. But it is, very clearly, a sketch video involving friends. No one was involved with that that did not want to be, and Spoony was very clearly not making uncomfortable advances on anyone on set.
    This, I agree with. The part where she defends bringing it up a month after the fact after everything had (apparently) been settled, not so much.

To be fair, I think Spoony's behavior and his obnoxious fanbase would have blown up pretty soon anyway. If this didn't set it off, something else would have. It seems like there was a lot of . . . festering going on.

And really, much as I dislike rape jokes, telling a coworker, who has known mental problems and depression, that you truly hope he kills himself is waaaaay worse in my opinion. And then LordKat apologized, not to Noah for what he said, but to his own fanbase, for getting angry. What.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This, I agree with. The part where she defends bringing it up a month after the fact after everything had (apparently) been settled, not so much.
    Well to be fair though if you work in a place where rape jokes are seemingly okay you would think that the people involved there would not react so extreme to a rape joke. Yes I do appreciate the difference but in such a case its sometimes hard to draw the line and really I donīt believe that spoony meant it to hurt but as a """"funny""" joke between friends.

Heck I think everyone has friends with whom he shares inappropriate jokes? well maybe the pope not but who knows.

To be fair, I think Spoony's behavior and his obnoxious fanbase would have blown up pretty soon anyway. If this didn't set it off, something else would have. It seems like there was a lot of . . . festering going on.
    Well I do consider myself a fan of spoony but not really one of the fanatic followers who really seem kind of out of bounds, so yeah I think you are right there.

And really, much as I dislike rape jokes, telling a coworker, who has known mental problems and depression, that you truly hope he kills himself is waaaaay worse in my opinion. And then LordKat apologized, not to Noah for what he said, but to his own fanbase, for getting angry. What.
    Yeah it also isnīt the first time for him to tell someone on livestream "to go hang himself", or that he will come over and "rip his head out" among other threats of violence, he really is just a very unpleasant person :-/

I certainly hope that all this will get spoonys head straight again so that I can watch many many fun episodes again from from and not the really sad stuff like his twilight drunken review.

7. - Top - End - #37

Pretty even-handed response. I agree with what you (and Emmerask) have written, except for one thing from the latter: I think Spoony needs to get off the Internet for a while. A long while. I love the work he produces, but I do not see anything approaching good coming from interaction with The Great Echo Chamber at this point. Especially with his fanbase.

Also, I read up a little more and poor LordKat. After his break from TGWTG to pursue a career as a legitimate game journalist, it would have been impossible for him to maintain his reputation as a professional without leveraging a mentally ill man's family and personal troubles against him in a fight as needless as it was petty and stupidly self-serving. Talk about bad luck.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I lack the links at the moment, but both Spoony and Lupa have released statements (the former via LongTwitter, the latter via Tumblr) accpeting a portion of blame, stating they hold no hard feelings, asking fans to stop being hateful little cretins on the internet, and so on.

Spoony also explicitly said Lupa had nothing to do with him leaving.

Between his statement and Rob Walker's (another link I lack at the moment, I saw them on the SpaceBattles thread about this, but said site is totally down at the moment), I'm getting the impression Spoony's situation has been building. It seems less specifically about just this incident with Lupa, and more about his general aggressive attitude on Twitter (which I've seen before and found a bit crass and out-of-bounds). Rob stated they asked him to reign it in, and Spoony ultimately parted ways.

Considering he's still in the 4th Anniversary vid, just recently appeared in a video with ThatSciFiGuy, and the response of guys like Linkara and Angry Joe, I'd imagine things aren't as bleak as some doom-sayers say.

So rather than going back and forth about whose "fault" it is, let's focus on hopes that Spoony gets himself a bit of help and comes out of this a better man.
    And that things continue to be funny all around (according to individual tastes, I suppose).

As far as the OP topic goes, I'm actually more excited than with last year's video. As much fun as some parts were, and as much as I liked how everyone seemed to get at least some lines and focus, the costumes and fantasy theme generally didn't "click".
    I'm hoping that there are no wacky costumes this time, just costumes they use in their videos anyways. And I'm hoping that, "sci-fi theme" or no, it sticks with the more...hm. I don't know if it's a "thriller", but not as much "zany action" as before, I guess.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    As far as the OP topic goes, I'm actually more excited than with last year's video. As much fun as some parts were, and as much as I liked how everyone seemed to get at least some lines and focus, the costumes and fantasy theme generally didn't "click".
    I'm hoping that there are no wacky costumes this time, just costumes they use in their videos anyways. And I'm hoping that, "sci-fi theme" or no, it sticks with the more...hm. I don't know if it's a "thriller", but not as much "zany action" as before, I guess.
    The costumes worked in small parts, not a complete 2 hour story. In small parts they were fun, but didn't hold up for 120 minutes. You can tell me you didn't laugh at Angry Joe or the Cinema Snob or anyone else in costume.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm definitely intriuged. I do like that there are some costumes, it's a fun gag after all, but they don't seem to be 100% of the time.

MarzGurl with purple hair? Yes, please.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sentaku View Post
    Well, that's a little better than the previous one - some gags, including a look at some costumes. Still gotta agree with the previously-expressed concern about it seeming to take itself quite seriously though.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Well, that's a little better than the previous one - some gags, including a look at some costumes. Still gotta agree with the previously-expressed concern about it seeming to take itself quite seriously though.

Zevox
    Nostalgia Chick's dressing like Seven of Nine, someone's pulling a Dredd, and the house turns into a Not-Enterprise. I'd wager it probably will balance out the "serious main story" pretty well.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Anyone else feel it's the same thing as last year except they replaced them dressing all fantasy with them dressing up all sci-fi? After this long of a wait, it better be good.

Best thing about the teaser (in my opinion at least):
    Spoiler
    Show
    That awful Block Buster Buster guy isn't in their giving me hopes that he's not in the special. Man I hate that guy and his reviews. If he is actually in it, I'm pretty sure I'll hate To Boldly Flee more than Suburban Knights.

15. - Top - End - #45

Lightsabers, Mecha-Linka, Terl, Doctor Insano, the house becoming a starship, a ripoff of the Nexus from the Star Terk movie, this is going to be fun.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

Zevox
    Eeeh... I dunno. There's something to be said for taking-it-tongue in cheek; taking a ridiculous situation and treating it as deadly serious can be humorous in it's own right, if done right.

Plus, Linkara always seems to pull it off. (In my opinion, I know his plot-arcs are somewhat devisive, but I love 'em personally.)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Unlike some videos I find the anniversary specials don't hold up to well to repeat viewings. However on a first look I have enjoyed them all, so have decent hopes for this one.

The quality of the filming, special effects and the costumes though seems to be pretty high, so I just hope the quality of the writing is high. If the previous videos had any failing it was that they could often overplay the jokes made and extend them past the sesible point.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omergideon View Post
    The quality of the filming, special effects and the costumes though seems to be pretty high, so I just hope the quality of the writing is high. If the previous videos had any failing it was that they could often overplay the jokes made and extend them past the sesible point.
    High for a web series. By comparison to actual films - yeah - anyone else start laughing at the awfulness of that CGI house? That was the funniest thing in the who trailer.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

This whole thing makes me sad.

But a Person that I now Truly despise is LordKat.

Truly an ass of a person. Insulting extra credits (Nothing wrong with disagreeing but he acts like an immature troll) and telling spoony to commit suicide.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Unlike some videos I find the anniversary specials don't hold up to well to repeat viewings.
    I still enjoy watching Kickassia.

21. - Top - End - #51

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I still enjoy watching Kickassia.
    Rewatched Suburban Knights recently and only really could enjoy the final video. But then again Orlando was the only one who could put together any decent choreography for a fight scene, and the jokes wore thin on me a bit.

And yeah for a low budget web series it is good quality. Very good quality. Not hollywood of course, but as good as some normal TV shows I have seen.

Thought tbh I don't often rewatch a lot of videos on the web. Except Spoony. I could rewatch almost any of his vids. For everyone else it depends on how much I liked that one.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Rewatched Suburban Knights recently and only really could enjoy the final video. But then again Orlando was the only one who could put together any decent choreography for a fight scene, and the jokes wore thin on me a bit.

And yeah for a low budget web series it is good quality. Very good quality. Not hollywood of course, but as good as some normal TV shows I have seen.

Thought tbh I don't often rewatch a lot of videos on the web. Except Spoony. I could rewatch almost any of his vids. For everyone else it depends on how much I liked that one.
    The best parts of Suburban Knights to me was:
    -Angry Joe
    -Cinema Snob
    -Jungle Gym Fight.

Other than that, is was just so-so. I should just edit the videos down to their parts.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

That awful Block Buster Buster guy isn't in their giving me hopes that he's not in the special.Man I hate that guy and his reviews. If he is actually in it, I'm pretty sure I'll hate To Boldly Flee more than Suburban Knights.
    Like I said, Doug's reasonably good at getting entertainment out of people with his scripts. Linkara's own stuff bores me to tears, for example, but he's always been reasonably entertaining in the specials.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Like I said, Doug's reasonably good at getting entertainment out of people with his scripts. Linkara's own stuff bores me to tears, for example, but he's always been reasonably entertaining in the specials.
    I'm still doubtful if he's in the thing. All the other reviews I can at least say one thing positive about even if I don't like them or don't watch much of their stuff: they're funny, they're insightful, they're clever, they know how to critically analyze a work of media, they offer something interesting when they review a something. This guy, I can't say anything positive about. Even his performance when he's reviewing is bad and unbelievable. I really hope he's not in To Boldly Flee.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

No discussion now that Part 1 is up?

I watched it. The first half or so really drags and focuses too much on drama rather than comedy (and drama is not something TGWTG does particularly well) and the obvious SOPA parody felt utterly tacked on. Still, it does improve some in the second half. I really wish they had cut out some of the beginning fluff because I was getting so bored I almost quit watching.

26. - Top - End - #56

ClericGuy

Just comparing the specials. I thought The Brawl was novel and entertaining and generally a great new idea.

Kickassia had a stronger overall narrative and story than SK, but I would say SK had better overall moments. As in individual bits of SK were fantastic, but Kickassia was more consistently good and dragged less.

To Boldly Flee.....well so far I enjoyed it. The Doug/Linsay and Spoony bits were better IMO. Partly as I find the 2 of them to be stronger actors than the rest of the TGWTG crew. (Brad Jones is also on the list). Partly as their drama had some actual weight to it. And largely because Spoony as Turl, or hooked up was genuinely amusing.

Though if each part is as long as this one, and the focus is on Drama and not jokes it may suffer a bit for that. With 8 parts (I think) at 40 mins each some drag and/or padding is inevitable. If each subsequent part is shorter that may be a better overall thing. I do hope though they have less "action". Of the crew.....well only Orlando has any competence as a fighter and that is cos he is a genuine Martial Artist. When he fights it looks interesting. The rest looks too bad to be funny to me. Jokes, and short dramatic scenes, would work best for me. But I am optimistic it will be overall at worst entertaining and interesting. Even if it never gets great I can be happy with that for free entertainment.

And I thought the Spoony subconcious bit, and the Dr Tease/Critic Penis exchange were both good enough to justify watching the less interesting parts.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I was pleasantly surprised to find more of the jokes working for me than in Suburban Knights, and possibly Kickassia as well, so it has that going for it so far.

That said, I definitely agree with the concerns about it taking itself too seriously. Comedy is what these guys do well, serious storytelling... not so much. And both the trailers and a good amount of the first part make me fear that the ratio of those to each other will not be to my liking here.

Offhand remark: I'm so glad that Doug and Linkara reviewed those Star Trek movies and comics over the last year, because I would have no clue about just how much this is referencing those if they hadn't.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Just watched it as well. I found it ok, if hit-and-miss. At some points the mix of emotional drama and thoughts on death etc overlaid on the overly silly jokes was jarring, but other scenes were really good... The Flight of the Navigator scene (where Spoony is hooked up to a brain scanner) easily being the funniest/best scene for me.

High point was Noah Antwiler's acting and scenes which were brilliant.

Wanting-more point was Brad Jones' bit which was awesome but too short.

By far the low point was Lindsay Ellis' acting and scenes which were just cringe-inducing. She's always been so for me though, I don't know why, so not unexpected.

Other high points, Nella and Elisa as the doctors were good, the sci-fi observation team was as well, though I hope Angry Joe gets a bigger part later.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

With 8 parts (I think) at 40 mins each some drag and/or padding is inevitable.

Eight parts, each forty minutes long? That can't be right. That'd be 5 hours and twenty minutes long.

30. - Top - End - #60

ClericGuy

Well part 2 is only 20 mins. So not so bad. And hey the first SK vid was much longer than the rest, so this has precedence