New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Flee

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: To Boldly Flee

Well part 2 is only 20 mins. So not so bad. And hey the first SK vid was much longer than the rest, so this has precedence
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omergideon View Post
    Well part 2 is only 20 mins. So not so bad. And hey the first SK vid was much longer than the rest, so this has precedence
    I figured it'd be something like that (I was half-expecting more like 10-15 minute parts, honestly, plus maybe a slightly loner one at the end.)

If this is any indication, though, the special could well be looking at upwards of two hours in total running time. No wonder it's taking some doing, that's quite an achivement, considering.

I liked it so far, more than Suburban Knights I think. I don't mind a bit of the slightly more serious elements (and I do say "slightly!"); Linkara's storylines are always fairly serious (if at the ame time tongue-in-cheek-cheesey!), and I think those are fantastic.

Spooney, of course, as usual, steals the show; that man can chew scenery with the very best of them!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, part 2. As before, enough of the jokes are working to keep me entertained, but the serious parts are not much to my liking.

I am curious about Insano, though. If that's not what they were hinting at with the mention of turning Spoony to the villains' side in part 1, what was that about? Insano and Turl are the only villains of his I can think of, and both are now accounted for.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #64

Well I watched part 2 and I love the ship. It's like a kid would build if they had the parts around. It looks so fun.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Im actually liking this one more then the other ones. The jokes don't drag, and their stronger as well.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't watched any of this yet but I have a question... is Nostalgia Critic really over?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think so. While no-one in an official capacity has answered the question directly, it has been heavily implied that it won't.

But (before any timing problems arose due to the technical problems), spoofing All Good Things before Boldly Flee (which the trailers have said as "the critic's final journey" or something to that effect rather does give some weight to it - because, despite reading between the lines of what other people have said, without officialy word, we aren't totally sure... And the uncertainty makes for a bit of tension, because it seems possible that Critic could actually die or something in Boldy flee (whereas before we would take that as a given that he wouldn't, because of our meta-film knowledge that he would be reviewing something next week).

As a DM, I can appreciate that - it's quite clever, really, and I'll give Doug enough credit to assume that's his deliberate intention. (Whether you think it works or not as a gambit is another question, of course). But I appreciate the attempt, at any rate.

It's what I'd do, were I in that position.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Why should it be over? havenīt heard any of that.

As for to boldly flee, the first part was soso, first half boring second half okay.
    Part 2 though was actually quite nice with some pretty funny jokes.

The main problem with the anniversary shows however still is that most of them are pretty bad actors, especially I donīt know why paw (I think thats his name?) is in so many scenes when he really is just bad ^^.

As always though Brad and Noah do an awesome job, they really steal the show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Thus far I've been happier with the story and production.

I always felt like Kickassia and SK in particular was written with a "oh and whoever shows up can think up some gags to throw their fans in this scene" without actually using the characters. Which I do sorta understand, but gets annoying. It sort of exacerbates the "Nostaligia Critic ego trip factor" when I feel he just can't be bothered to think of how to use ANY other characters material.

Then again might be because Linkara is only one I watch regularly and it annoyed me that he only used the magic gun in SK... so Mechakara and a suspiciously Chekov-esque mention of his space ship is quite nice.

And in general more people seem to have actual roles that couldn't have been handled with "Group C does X while making in-character jokes" which was my impression of the script in SK.

Also cinematography has been put up a notch.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I really don't like how much they are overusing Spoony. He's Spoony, he's Ma-Ti, he's Turl, he's Insano. Seriously? Is this an Austin Powers move?

I like Spoony, I'm sad to see him leave the site, but there are like a million different reviewers with at least 2-3 characters each. They don't need Turl, anyone could play that part; heck Mechakara would be better used as a secondary antagonist. They don't really need Insano just to deliver a few lines of exposition, and it's a bit of an overused gag. Spoony-as-Bones is pretty good, but it eats like 2/3rds of the running time.

Still, overall a fun video and I've enjoyed all the homages and the banter between the reviewers. The evil SOPA-guy is a little bit of an old reference, but pretty on the nose. Hopefully Part 3 picks up the pace a little and doesn't add any more Spoony characters, like the Ultimate Warrior or the Avatar or something.
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-08-27 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Forgot the word "Ultimate"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I think that after what happened in the second episode, someone really needs to make a Spoonyquest video.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I always felt like Kickassia and SK in particular was written with a "oh and whoever shows up can think up some gags to throw their fans in this scene" without actually using the characters. Which I do sorta understand, but gets annoying. It sort of exacerbates the "Nostaligia Critic ego trip factor" when I feel he just can't be bothered to think of how to use ANY other characters material.
    For once I agree with Soras. Doug tends to be a control freak who, during crossovers, writes other people as he sees them instead of letting them fill their parts with their own style and in-jokes. I'm happy that there's less of that in To Boldly Flee and he actually seems to pay more attention to everyone else here. I already like it way more than Suburban Knights, let's see if it will also beat Kickassia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    I haven't watched any of this yet but I have a question... is Nostalgia Critic really over?
    He did a crossover with Phelous last week, so I find that doubtful. He'll probably return to making normal NC videos after To Boldly Flee is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    I really don't like how much they are overusing Spoony. He's Spoony, he's Ma-Ti, he's Turl, he's Insano. Seriously? Is this an Austin Powers move?
    I don't mind that. Spoony is probably the best actor of them all and the highlight of the show, and I'm saying that as someone who likes pretty much everyone in this crossover (there's a few people whose stuff I don't watch, but that's all). Well, there's also Oancitizen, but he hasn't even appeared yet. Hope that changes soon.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2012-08-27 at 02:32 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    For once I agree with Soras.
    Wait, what? Sorry, but I have a hard time seeing how this:

Doug tends to be a control freak who, during crossovers, writes other people as he sees them instead of letting them fill their parts with their own style and in-jokes. I'm happy that there's less of that in To Boldly Flee and he actually seems to pay more attention to everyone else here. I already like it way more than Suburban Knights, let's see if it will also beat Kickassia.
    Is not the opposite of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Am I misreading this entirely? Because I am confused.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Let me specify. Doug doesn't pay attention to other reviewers' shows and writes them as he sees them instead of trying to stick to their characters or writing their parts together with them. It has happened numerous times that when someone met with him to make a crossover, he already had the whole script written, without even consulting the other person. This is the control freak part.

But at the same time, if someone decides to improvise a joke and it works, he keeps it in, so the other reviewers can still preserve some parts of their characters. But there's only so much you can do with that alone.

This trend seems to be slowly changing lately, with good results - all of Doug's best new videos were crossovers, with the exception of the awful Temple of Doom video.

On a sidenote, I think burnout is the reason Doug is taking a break from Nostalgia Critic for a while. A few years ago the show used to be consistently good, but lately most episodes tend to be hit-or-miss.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

ClericGuy

His break thing/more influence from others in crossover strips may also be to do with his recent wedding. Thats gonna change some bits up.

I do agree that we run the risk of Spoony overuse. As one of the better actors this is understandable, and his bits have been highlights in the film. But he is already playing several major characters and probably has had more screen time even than Doug. Slightly ironic considering how he has left CA

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

I think Tengu and I are in agreement but interpreting things differently or referring to different specific points.

The net effect though is that thus far in the big crossovers the characters have often been essentially interchangeable, blander, or shallower versions of themselves. Because the stories have needed a "[character]" for a particular scene but not say "Angry Joe" in particular.

Mind there are exceptions and there are enough characters around that inevitably someone is going to be left underutilized. Its still there though.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, that makes sense, I am less confused now.

And I think it's time for me to actually watch the first part of this thing now.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

On a sidenote, I think burnout is the reason Doug is taking a break from Nostalgia Critic for a while.
    What break?
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-08-27 at 07:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    What break?
    He didn't make a NC video last week, just a crossover with Phelous (but Phelous was the "main" reviewer there). He probably won't do any more of them until To Boldly Flee ends, if not a bit longer.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, how do the events in this thing cross over with the events in Linkara's plotline? He isn't a hologram or anything, so does that make this not in the same continuity?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Hey, how do the events in this thing cross over with the events in Linkara's plotline? He isn't a hologram or anything, so does that make this not in the same continuity?
    They happen 'between' episodes. Just like a comics a character can appear in multiple books that aren't nessecarily at the same time despite say being published on the same Wednesday.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    The comments on his site for part 1 says that he considers the events of To Boldly Flee to take place before the current storyline. As for how it fits in my guess it is as Dr. Insano explained in part 2.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

He didn't make a NC video last week, just a crossover with Phelous (but Phelous was the "main" reviewer there). He probably won't do any more of them until To Boldly Flee ends, if not a bit longer.
    Except he did that last year with Suburban Knights as well. In fact, considering he's putting up To Boldly Flee still, I'm dubious as to whether it constitutes a break at all.

23. - Top - End - #83

ClericGuy

He has also been relying heavily on crossovers with lots of extensive material from the others. And took a couple of weeks to do only a commentary when he got married. So he has taken it relatively easy this last month or so.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I found the best part of Suburban Knights to be the Forget About It SadPanda made. It saddens me that he likely will not do one for To Boldly Flee

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Part 3 is up, and it's pretty good.

I'm just glad the NChick-Todd-Loopa thing actually has a purpose now, that was always my least favorite part of their reviews. I just fast-forward over those bits whenever they have a crossover.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, fewer jokes working for me in part 3 than in the previous 2, but still enough to keep me fairly entertained.

A question for anyone who may know: what was up with JO? Is that red-headed hyperactive inventor version of her a character from her reviews, or something new to this movie? Because it kinda left me confused. (I've never really watched her stuff, due to not being into anime.)

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Hm, fewer jokes working for me in part 3 than in the previous 2, but still enough to keep me fairly entertained.

A question for anyone who may know: what was up with JO? Is that red-headed hyperactive inventor version of her a character from her reviews, or something new to this movie? Because it kinda left me confused. (I've never really watched her stuff, due to not being into anime.)

Zevox
    Apparently, it's a parody of some character called Ed from Comboy Bebop or something. It was somewhat lost on me as well, though I gathered from context it was an anime character.

28. - Top - End - #88

ClericGuy

Well my least favourite part so far. And that is for 2 reasons.

Firstly fewer jokes, and more focus on uninteresting sub plots. Don't get me wrong I like there being subplots. It gives everyone some purpose and character and often help me enjoy the story better. However I am not enjoying these ones. Todd/Lupa/Chick has never been sommat I liked for instance. And some of the attempts at drama are lacking.

Secondly, I hate Phelous. Really. I cannot stand his voice, his terribly bad acting, his unpleasent persona or anything else. I think he is one of the least talented on the site, and so having him get a lot of screen time is never going to help me enjoy it.

Though there were some good moments. Doug and Noah have great chemistry so watching them ham it up togther as the villains is brilliant. Linkara and Chick also work together and that scene worked. It was short, had a clear purpose and some comedy. Plus Linkara can actually do drama competently. And it adds intrigue to the plot as well. This subplot worked.

Still having fun, but it seems we have the mid story slump happening.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Apparently, it's a parody of some character called Ed from Comboy Bebop or something. It was somewhat lost on me as well, though I gathered from context it was an anime character.
    Radical Edward, the ditzy, hyperactive child genius engineer hacker, that is.

She's (no, don't ask me why she has a male name, it's too long to explain) one of the more popular characters from Cowboy Bebop, due to a combination of being adorable and hilarious.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

JO is abysmal as Edward. I love Bebop and I had to look up who she was actually spoofing before I got it. I normally don't mind her reviews, but she does them in a low serious tone that works for her. She has an odd inflection in her voice and this really carries over to her acting. I assume Todd and NChick get together because they are dating IRL, and Nash will probably show up because he and JO are dating IRL. CA is kind of a cesspool of internet personalities, isn't it?