{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Build
    rypt|Eoli|Gray Elf|Oracle 6/Swiftblade 3
    Luca|Eliza Priest|Lesser Aasimar|Dread Necromancer 9
    razorback|Indrotep Halvin|Human|Warblade 9
    Duke of URL|Emil Kraus|Human|Dragonfire Adept 9
    A CHALLENGER|???|???|???
    POSSIBLE PERSON|???|???|???
    POSSIBLE PERSON|???|???|???[/table]

Five days of travel does no one any good for the risk of boredom. Five days of travel by yourselves, eating what rations you obtained from your last 'venture, and trading off woh stays awake in the god-awful camps you have to set up. The earth is giving and prosperous, unless one intends to sleep on it. Near dusk, as you look about for a suitable place to make camp, you find a building standing off by itself near the rough road you’ve been using. It looks maintained, but unoccupied. A sign above the door states simply: "Travelers' Rest - All Are Welcome".

DC 10 Knowledge: Religion
    Spoiler
    Show
    This must be one of the occasional hospice buildings erected and maintained by those who honor Fharlanghn, the deity of the roads. These buildings provide travelers with shelter. Each visitor is expected to use what he needs from the shelter and contribute what he can in return.
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: [3.5] Expedition to the Demonweb Pits IC

"Thank the gods," Emil says as he looks over the shelter. "It's such drudgery setting up camp -- it will be nice to have some shelter for a change." After a brief pause, he adds, "the place is here for us to use, but we should try to leave the place better than we found it, for the next traveler."

Thanks to his magic, the temperatures haven't been of any concern, but a roof and walls was a much better situation than the 'making camp' routine. The place looked clean and safe, and designed to be used by travelers such as they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    Emil has a +16 in Knowledge (religion), so I didn't bother rolling for the info.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Indrotep looked up at Emil, a sardonic grin on his face.

Surprised the ogres didn't use this or just destroy it.

Looking around for any obvious tracks on the ground, trying to see if his statement might prove true.

I'm going to run a quick perimeter and see what there is to see. As he cradled his falchion in his right arm in a seemingly weak posture that proved incorrect to the observer, he started to make a circle around the building That is, unless you want me to try my hand making dinner again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge religion

(1d20+5)[13](18)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Eoli's eyes drift from the road to the hospice and then back to the road, his ornery expression (and disposition) unmoved by the prospect of a single night of sheltered rest. For five days they have pursued the ogres and for five days they have risen with the sun to follow tracks that are older than any they have seen before.

Perhaps the ogres are faster, he thinks, observing the others as they dismount. Or perhaps they are simply not availing themselves of Fharlanghn's hospitality. Ever since the ogre raid, a brooding silence has settled over the elf. He has not yet shared the nature of the stolen wagon's cargo, but the naked urgency with which he seeks its recovery speaks plainly of its importance.
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-03-17 at 12:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Emil doesn't rise to Introdep's jibe about cooking, but instead grunts, "this shelter is provided by the followers of Fharlanghn. Even ogres aren't dumb enough to provoke Fharlanghn's disfavor while they are traveling. They may have even used the place themselves."

He tries to help look around for any signs of the ogres' presence at the place, or anything else out of the ordinary. If he finds nothing of interest, he gathers wood and starts a fire by breathing on it until the wood catches the flame.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Eliza smiles, shifting her clothes around to a more comfortable under her armor, and moves to help Emil with the lifting of firewood. Paying only one ear to her companions as they discussed the wayshrine and the ogres they chased she hummed quietly to herself. Just as Emil said few would disrespect the god of the roads by defiling the place, and even if they didn't need the wood it would be good to collect extra for the next travelers to use.

"I'm beginning to worry we aren't going to catch them, its already been so long. What will we do if they loose us?" She asks upon her next return to the building that would be their shelter, wrapping her overlong scarf a little tighter round her neck.

8. - Top - End - #8

"I find it hard to believe we'd lose their trail. If we fail to catch them in the open, then all that will happen is that they lead us back to their lair." Far from appearing concerned about that, Emil actually seems happy at that prospect.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

After a quick reconnoiter around the structure, Indrotep is satisfied that they are in no immediate danger. Returning to the others, he gathers up some wood and, much to his chagrin, he sees that Emil and Eliza have already started. Shrugging his shoulders, he carries the wood to the corner and stacks it in preperation for their use or the next user of the structure.

Sitting back on his haunches, he rests his falchion across his legs as he pulls a bit of dried meat from his pack. Gnawing on it a bit, he uses it to point at the rest of the group.

Do you think we are gaining on them? he asks a bit gruffly. Not happy about taking the cart with them, he was looking to track down and finish off these ogres before they had a chance to harm innocents. Speed, to him, was more important in catching their quarry but this was an argument he was going to lose. Again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Eoli remains by the cart for some time before moving to approach the others around the campfire. He is joined by an usual retinue -- a large mirror, wrought of the finest silver and polished to a brilliant luster, hovers in the air to his right, while an over-sized but crudely crafted battleaxe seems to drag itself by its handle to the elf's left. Behind him, a procession of small hand bells float in an orderly single-file line, bobbing slightly as though flowing with the current of an invisible river.

When Eoli stops to address the group, the mirror and the axe stop with him. The bells, however, continue on their own, bending around him before breaking rank, one at a time, as the move to surround the camp.

"Who among you are familiar with these lands?"
    he asks, looking to each of his fellow travelers in turn. "I will require the assistance of someone with knowledge of local flora, fauna, geography, and/or mineral morphology." He speaks with a cold matter-of-factness and makes no effort to explain or even acknowledge the miscellanea that hovers about him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eoli casts servant horde to summon 17 unseen servants. One carries his scrying mirror, another drags the ogre weapon. The remaining 15 are each given a small hand bell and will position themselves at regular intervals along the circumference of a 45 ft. radius circle centered on the campfire.
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-03-26 at 10:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Indrotep stops at the sight of all of the items moving of their own volition, unsure if he should smile or scowl. While the sight itself was amusing in its own way, he had faint trust in the powers of magic. The power of Anhur, and the sword arm that he is, were the only things he could trust.

Neither the beasts or the rocks are familliar to me as I have never traveled this land. was all he said as he let his face sink into the shadows.

12. - Top - End - #12

Emil makes a noncommittal grunt. "I forget which lands I've traveled over in my hunts, but I know a little of this, and a little of that, from most places. What do you wish to know?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Time will tell," Eoli answers, looking the human up and down with a judicious eye. "Join me in one hour." He turns toward the hostel and steps away, the mirror and axe turning to follow. "I am not to be disturbed until then, save for by the ringing of bells."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eoli will enter the lodge, give himself a tour, and hopefully find a room with a table and chair to begin the casting of scrying. Will save DC 21 to negate, with a -4 penalty imposed by the possession of the battleaxe.
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-03-26 at 05:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Eoli
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inside, you are somewhat surprised at how well stocked the building is. There are three bunkbeds, a fireplace, a dining table, an enclosed privy, several windows and doors which are cleaner than you'd expect. There are also a few chests, which, upon inspection, contain some basic adventuring gear. Most importantly, you note that inside one of them, near the table, contains cooking utensils, soap, spices, soap, food enough for two months and soap. You leave it be for now, as you settle your servants in their positions, and you have the one holding the mirror stand near the back of the building.

The mirror is held before you, as you channel your spell outwards. The axe glows as energy pours through it, and into the mirror. A ripple forms on the image, and your reflection fades away. It is becoming dark where you are viewing, and the image tunes into that of a small quartet of ogres. They are in a forest, you can tell, and are shouting in common.

"COME OUT LITTLE SPIDER LOVERS." Says the one you are focusing on. "YOU COME OUT AND WE CRUSH. IT IS GAME. COME OUT."

Outside of view, you hear a second voice, this one distinctly different. It comes out smooth, and you can detect a hint of pleasure. "Come now, Grimthuk, dearest, dearest Grimthuk." The voice, a female, says something you can't quite make out, but as soon as she says it, one of the other ogres howls. "Its only fair, you know. You weren't supposed to be there in the first place. You were to wait with the others, but now look at you? What a silly little Warmonger. Even lost your axe."

"YOU LIE. YOU SPIDER LOVER. YOU ALWAYS LIE." Grimthuk says, shouting. You see a smirk, if you could call it that, spread across his face. "BUT OGRE NOT NEED LIE. OGRE KNOWS WHAT YOU DID. YOU TAKE ELF BODIES. YOU TAKE THEM FOR SELF. YOU DID BAD MAGIC. GRIMTHUK KNOWS.

"GRIMTHUK KNOWS ASHAARI COME FOR YOU."

"You should have kept your ugly, disgusting mouth shut, you inferior piece of swine."

What happens now is unclear, given your limited view. From what you can make out, one of the ogres falls over, and the other three keep running. Grimthuk leads them through, smashing through a good part of the forest he is in, until he comes to a cave. By now, he is supporting one of the other ogres with the third, and they make their way to the cave. You can hear laughing from behind them. They run into the cave, and fall to the ground, as crossbow bolts strike them. Grimthuk finds himself pinned under one of the ogre bodies, as the last one makes an escape, and as far as you can tell, does so. Grimthuk looks up as one of his assailants steps forward to him. You can see, quite clearly, that the figure wears the markings of the Ashaari. Grimthuk laughs, and says:

"WHAT GRIMTHUK SAY. BAD MAGIC. GRIMTHUK WINS."

The attacker fires off into Grimthuk, felling the ogre. A few moments later, you hear another inaudible phrase, this time it sounds painful, sounds wrong, to your ears. It is repeated again. Both the ogre and Grimthuk rise up slowly, awkwardly, and begin walking in an unseen direction, as the image fades out, and your reflection takes place again.

Spellcraft DC 19
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can make out the three phrases with some effort. They were, in order: Inflict Critical Wounds, Animate Dead, Animate Dead.

Emil begins gathering up some wood from the forest, when he sees cut logs out behind the structure. He takes two of the logs, and sets them into the fire pit out front. He ignites it with his breath, and settles down. After that, as Eoli settles inside to perform his spell, the others join at the fire. The fire pit itself is inside a fenced in area, and to the side there are some makeshift stables where you settle in your mounts. The sun begins to make its final stretch downward, and you suspect that, within the hour, night will fall. Not long after sitting, a stew is being cooked over the fire, being stirred by rotating members of the company.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"I am not to be disturbed until then, save for by the ringing of bells."
    As Indrotep watches Eoli walk to the structure, he settles in near the fire.
    <I wonder if all magic users are required to be so... self-involved?> he thinks to himself, shaking his head ever so slightly. Placing his falchion in what could only be said to be reverence, he pulls out his dagger and a piece of wood he has been whittling at, carefully removing a tiny piece of wood as he carefully considers his next the proportions of what he is doing.
    He looks over at Emil, arches his eyebrow and nods towards the structure. A slight grin tugs at the corner of his mouth as he goes back to the wood after checking on the stew.

16. - Top - End - #16

Emil shrugs. "He doesn't bother me. Let him go off and be mystical, if at the end of all it, there are more dead ogres, I'm not going to question the path it took to get there."

"Hopefully, this stew will be better than the last one. I almost had to wash my mouth out with dirt to get rid of that taste."
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2012-03-27 at 11:13 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Although Indrotep's face didn't change Emil got the impression he was smiling.

The offer stands, either way.

Indrotep had the sneaking suggestion that everyone think he intentionally made the last meal unedible.

18. - Top - End - #18

After an hour, actually slightly longer as Emil decided to make the elf wait a bit on his pleasure, Emil gets up, scoops a bowl of the stew, and heads inside the cabin.

"I brought you some stew. I won't vouch for whether or not it's edible, but it is hot," he says gruffly. In an even more serious (if that's possible) tone, he adds, "what have you found, and how can I help?"
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2012-03-28 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Emil enters the room to find Eoli standing at least six paces from the floating mirror. The gray elf's cheeks are flushed with color, his face is twisted with anger, and his eyes seem to be staring through the mirror's polished silver surface. The spellguard's breast heaves in rhythm with each seething breath and an upturned chair lies on its side some distance behind him. His left arm is bent akimbo, white knuckles gripping the hilt of the blade at his waist, while his right hand is a clenched fist held tightly against his chest.

When Emil first speaks, the Ashaari hardly seems to notice. In fact, so consuming is Eoli's rage that, for a time, he seems utterly oblivious to the man's presence. It isn't until the aroma of the stew -- for better or for worse -- rouses the elf from his thoughts that his head snaps abruptly to face the visitor. Even then, he says nothing for a moment, his narrowed eyes searching Emil's face as he struggles to compose himself.

"How long have you been standing there?" he finally asks in a low menacing tone. As the spellguard glances briefly back toward the mirror, he adds, "and how much did you see?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-03-28 at 05:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

As Emil goes to check on Eoli, Indrotep finishes up and stands, resting his falchion across his arms.

Looking at Eliza, he nods to her as he begins to stand guard.
    As she looks at him, he mutters to her
    Perfect time for an ambush

21. - Top - End - #21

"Only a few seconds," says Emil. "And I saw little more than you standing there, looking extremely angry. Hopefully not at me, as you did tell me to come in here, but, in any case, eat the stew before it cools off enough that you can taste it."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Smoothing the front of his robes, Eoli exhales a deep, steadying breath. "Well then," he scowls as he steps away to return the upended chair to a small desk set against the wall, "you are late." The elf moves back towards Emil, taking the bowl of stew in one hand as he wafts the rising steam towards his nose with the other. He grimaces. "Our hunt for ogres is over. Tomorrow, we hunt drow."

23. - Top - End - #23

Emil's voice betrays no emotion whatsoever, except a forced casualness. "Yeah, well, hunting drow is all well and good, but I don't think the others are going to want to give up on the ogres just yet. And don't you have some unfinished business with them as well? Why not take care of them before moving on to the next job?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Eoli is already turning to leave as Emil speaks. "Because I watched the ogres die," he remarks flatly, pausing at the edge of the room, "and what they stole from Ashaar can no longer be returned." At that, the spellguard steps away, floating mirror and axe falling into place behind him. Without stopping or looking back, he adds, "There is more to be said, but the others must hear it as well."

Returning to the camp fire, presumably with Emil in tow, Eoli finds an open seat across from Eliza and Indrotep. "As I have told Emil, the ogres are either all dead or soon to be so. Evidently, they had been serving as hired muscle for a priestess of Lolth, a relationship that turned sour when the ogres realized that what they stole from me had been stolen from them. They attempted to confront the priestess in a forest. A single ogre escaped with his life, but there is little reason to believe he will survive the night. The bodies of the fallen where animated by the drow, and the dead will not tire in their search."
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-04-12 at 02:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Indrotep stood, pacing about the small camp in front of the building.
    He could hear some discussion even if he couldn't make out what was being said.
    Know, as his instructors had drilled into his head, that impatience breed mistakes, he calmed himself with a mental exercise.
    After a few minutes, he walked outside the ring of the camp.
    I'll take first watch. You guys decide who you want to replace me in a few hours. he said over his shoulder as he started a small perimeter walk. He knew that they should be safe at the shelter but the idea of remaining unguarded went against his nature.

26. - Top - End - #26

"Well, I for one won't shed a tear for any dead ogres," Emil chimed in. "Or drow for that matter, if that's what we're hunting next. It's all much the same to me in the end."

"I'll take the middle watch -- I don't need the uninterrupted sleep like the mages,"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Scoffing at what he perceives as a slight from Emil -- elves do not need sleep at all -- Eoli's expression sours as he slowly stirs his stew. "I have already seen to the security of the camp, but if you insist on standing about for hours on end, I certainly will not stop you."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Indrotep stands guard, keeping an eye out for trouble, falchion cradled in his arm. His thought wander from time to time but his face is stern and he keeps a sharp eye. At the end of his watch, he nudges Emil for his watch. Saying a prayer to Anhur before bedding down.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The night goes on quietly, and the first watch goes up. The forest is peaceful, the only sounds being wolves in the distant, crickets and what sounds like the life of a swamp, even if only dimly. Its hard to not fall asleep, but Indrotep stays alert all throughout. The moon rises in the sky, its light illuminating the forest. Such a lovely forest, if it weren't for the task at hand.

Emil wakes, and readies his stuff to go on watch. As he prepares the last of his gear, he can make out beyond one of the window curtains a rather two rather large figures. One seems to be hiding poorly, while the other one seems to be attempting to hide poorly. They're twenty feet outside of the house. Behind them, he can make out two more figures, but he can't tell their size.

30. - Top - End - #30

Emil moves quickly to each of his comrades, gently waking them and whispering "we've got company". He points out the figures to the others. "I doubt they're friendly."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota