New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

I like Sword+Pistol and Staff for my Mesmer. Phantasmal Duelist is an amazing phantasm, and synergises really well with Staff's 5th skill due to its shots counting as physical projectiles.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    It's not unlimited. They stack up to 250.
    They are?!?

I have to go back

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I really can't decide about my Mesmer's alternate weapon set. My primary one is Staff, and I'm doing well with it, dropping Chaos Storms, exploding illusions and generally throwing a lot of boons and conditions around. I tired sword + pistol for my second one, but it doesn't seem to work as well as I thought it would... maybe Scepter + Focus will be better after all.
    I finally got a nice staff and respected my traits to a support boon/condition build. I plan on going Scepter+torch as my off weapon. Phantasmal Mage seems like the main reason I would switch to this weapon, while pounding away with the Illusory Elasticity and the '1' skill of staff.

Scepter+Focus looks really nice too, with Phantasmal Warden being quite nice. and the '4' skill a nice utility.

I think mesmer needs constant weapon switching more then other classes to reach its full potential.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    I finally got a nice staff and respected my traits to a support boon/condition build. I plan on going Scepter+torch as my off weapon. Phantasmal Mage seems like the main reason I would switch to this weapon, while pounding away with the Illusory Elasticity and the '1' skill of staff.

Scepter+Focus looks really nice too, with Phantasmal Warden being quite nice. and the '4' skill a nice utility.

I think mesmer needs constant weapon switching more then other classes to reach its full potential.
    My alternate weapon set will be part Scepter, definetly. It can very reliably set up illusions, which is good. The question is whether I'll use a torch, a focus or a pistol in the off-hand. I'll run around, kill some mobs and decide which one suits me best.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    My alternate weapon set will be part Scepter, definetly. It can very reliably set up illusions, which is good. The question is whether I'll use a torch, a focus or a pistol in the off-hand. I'll run around, kill some mobs and decide which one suits me best.
    I think the pistol will be good against single target for sustained damage, the torch for multiple target damage, and the focus for control and support.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

6. - Top - End - #366
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just gotta say, I'm in real' love with the Warrior Mace & Axe combo...

Button 1 - Nice regular attack, but the 3rd in sequence is powerful as hell..
    Button 2 - Very powerful block/counterattack
    Button 3 - Stunning attack, low damage but insta-interrupt
    Button 4 - Dual Strike, AoE double-strike
    Button 5 - ME FAVORITE!!! It's Warcraft III's Blademaster Whirlwind attack! 5 seconds of mobile fury of death!! AoE buildup damage to everything around me, I use it against hordes of mobs in Events.

F1 --> Adrenaline Buildup stun attack

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Anyone on here playing a Thief? I just hit level 20 and I'm still not sure what weapon setup I like the best. A lot of the lower levels I was using D/D with Death Blossom or whatever just cutting through things. Once I hit the level 15 area though things were dealing FAR too much damage for that to viable. I switched to P/D and its night and day different. Any melee mob is easily killed since I can just use the attack that puts you into stealth to make some distance and then hit it from stealth with the rapid fire pistol attack that stacks 5 bleeds on the target. I also liked P/P since Black Powder (the aoe blind) skills is incredibly powerful. Even just dropping it on yourself and shooting through it at things blinds them which makes you incredibly survivable, especially against things with slower attack speeds.

What I'm not sure about, is how to stack my gear currently. I have a mishmash of Condition, Power and Precision gear and since I'm a leatherworker I'm not sure which one I should be focussing on for a mainly P/D build. A lot of my damage is autoattack, but the autoattack (and sneak attack) both cause a bleed. So should I focus more on Condition? Or power and precision?
    Double Dagger and Double Pistol are excellent.

As for itemization, I probably wouldn't worry about it until you hit level 80, but there are lots of ways to apply bleeds, so...

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

What would be good weapons for pvp on a guardian?, I tried sword + torch, but had a bit of trouble hitting enemies with the torch's abilities, I did eventually switch it to a shield, which seemed a little bit better.
    I also tried using a staff on him for a while, it looks like it good be good during an attack, but we were trying to defend this time, so it didn't see much use(the group was also a bit zerg crazy, which is a bit odd since we were supposed to be defending our bases, not zerging others mindlessly(a few people even started attacking the third team(the red team in this case, which was about our size, and up until some of the people in the PUG started zerging them had refrained from attacking us)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

9. - Top - End - #369
    Banned

All these questions about which weapons are best don't really have any correct answer. It's all about preference, play style, and build. Different weapon sets aren't usually so much better or worse than others to be considered "the best for X."

For example, there has been a lot of talk about scepter on Mesmer. I absolutely hated the scepter on my Mesmer in beta.
    Chen talking about D/D not being viable after 15+ was because he was spamming DB instead of using it wisely. Things were dishing out too much damage? DB allows you to evade, endurance free, for like two seconds. Using it at the right times instead of spamming it I was able to stay in melee with level 24 mobs when I was level 21.

Get a feel for each weapon sets' strengths and weaknesses, and see what works for you. That's the only real answer.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I could just check twitter or something, but it's better hearing it from actual players.. Is the Trading Post up yet? I've got things to buy on there (mostly for Artificing)..

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Chen talking about D/D not being viable after 15+ was because he was spamming DB instead of using it wisely. Things were dishing out too much damage? DB allows you to evade, endurance free, for like two seconds. Using it at the right times instead of spamming it I was able to stay in melee with level 24 mobs when I was level 21.
    Against a single mob I agree this works fine. The problem is against multiple ones I find it very hard to time so that I'm not getting hit. Regardless P/D has worked beautifully for me so I guess I just like that playstyle better. I changed to S/P as an alternate set and the blind is fantastic. Pistol Whip is also absurdly powerful so it works well as a secondary.

Trading post is up and running now too. Mats are very expensive for the most part it seems though, especially the tier 1 mats. The rare mats (tiny claws, etc) are also extremely expensive. Interestingly the tier 2 mats are pretty cheap though (copper ore is ~16-20 cp each, iron ore was 4 cp each). I wonder if its because a ton of people are looking for tier 1 crafting material or if everyone is just out of the starter areas now. Which also makes me wonder whether its worth it to go do the other races starting areas at the moment and make money on the low tier mats.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I feel like I'm the only necro who enjoys running with an axe. It may not be ideal, but it's just fun. I don't always use it, but if I'm just running around and not doing anything difficult, axe + warhorn or focus (depending on if I want to give up some effectiveness for an occasional speed boost) is just fun for me. Am I alone here?

That said, I'd love to be in the guild: thugthrasher.2413

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Every weapon set just has it advantages and downsides, so at the very least just pick two sets that complement each other. (And I keep at least a third set with me for when I need it.)

Like, for ranger Short Bow is very kitey with Quick Shot (jump back + Swiftness) and Crippling Shot and Concussive Shot to hinder your enemy. Long Bow on the other hand has a really good AoE ability with Barrage, and Hunter's Shot (applies 10 stacks of Weakness) is really good against strong bosses.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yep the trading post was up last night, and more importantly, was still up this morning.

Most trash loot I got when I posted and matched the lowest price was = what I would have gotten at a vendor, and there were about 2k of the same thing posted. Lots of Chef stuff, which was the only one I looked at in my short time in.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thugthrasher View Post
    I feel like I'm the only necro who enjoys running with an axe. It may not be ideal, but it's just fun. I don't always use it, but if I'm just running around and not doing anything difficult, axe + warhorn or focus (depending on if I want to give up some effectiveness for an occasional speed boost) is just fun for me. Am I alone here?

That said, I'd love to be in the guild: thugthrasher.2413
    Axe is the best main hand for necros. combine with the vuln well, have fun putting 20 stacks of vuln on an enemy in 5 seconds. Then, use axe #2.

Also, its very fast attack speed (it's a double hit autoattack) combines excellently with the effect-on-crit traits under Curses.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

I think that, in the end, I'll stick so Staff and Scepter + Pistol. Staff is good for AoE effects, boons and conditions and Scepter + Pistol works well when I need to focus on one enemy. Plus, Phantasmal Duelist really is great. I just finished my mesmer's personal story. He's level 11 and would start buying traits if it didn't cost 10 silver. I think I've got the hang of the class.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-05 at 08:27 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    Yep the trading post was up last night, and more importantly, was still up this morning.

Most trash loot I got when I posted and matched the lowest price was = what I would have gotten at a vendor, and there were about 2k of the same thing posted. Lots of Chef stuff, which was the only one I looked at in my short time in.
    People don't realize there's a cut the TP takes when posting and ANOTHER cut when you sell something. All the people posting for 1cp over vendor price are LOSING money since they would make more if they just vendored it.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    Axe is the best main hand for necros. combine with the vuln well, have fun putting 20 stacks of vuln on an enemy in 5 seconds. Then, use axe #2.

Also, its very fast attack speed (it's a double hit autoattack) combines excellently with the effect-on-crit traits under Curses.
    Good. That's exactly what I do, quite often. Glad I'm not alone. I was mostly wondering because all of those I've spoken to before (or have seen posted builds of) are running staff and scepter/focus.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm.. You guys think Weaponcrafting is okay for a dagger elementalist? I much prefer daggers over the other weapons, so all Artificing is giving me is tridents.. :\ (Also, underwater combat suuuckkss. Foo! Stoopid Krait!)

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    Hmm.. You guys think Weaponcrafting is okay for a dagger elementalist? I much prefer daggers over the other weapons, so all Artificing is giving me is tridents.. :\ (Also, underwater combat suuuckkss. Foo! Stoopid Krait!)
    I've found all the weapon crafting professions to be relatively meh. You can only make the basic skins, unless you go discovery with rare components, and even then you'll probably level faster than you're going to keep that weapon appearance, which means using lots of transmutation stones...

I think the armor crafting professions have a lot more potential, since you can make armor with different appearances, and you can also make bags (up to 20 slots each).

21. - Top - End - #381

ClericGuy

I prefer weapon crafting instead, partly because I won't care for skins until I'm at 80, and partly because weaponcrafting disciplines give nice consumables while armorsmithing only offers bags. I have 8 slot bags and I still have to fill them completely.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Just tried pvp on a different character, did better this time, and even managed a few kills(though the green team that facing off against tarnished coast seems somewhat overpowered, and I think them[ereder cliff, I think?] appeared to use a few exploits[mainly one specific guild there, the one leading the charge).
    Also, which is rarer?, a green item or a blue item?, I haven't been able to figure it out.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

23. - Top - End - #383

ClericGuy

Items *should* go white -> blue (fine) -> green (masterwork) -> yellow (rare) -> orange (exotic) -> red (legendary). Not too sure though.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Something i jsut thought of, did they include any pvp things that balance out the numbers of players?, The main problem with pvp i've been having is that it's 400 vs. 30, and most of those 30(generally about 20 of them) seem to have trouble following tactics most of the time.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-05 at 05:18 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Something i jsut thought of, did they include any pvp things that balance out the numbers of players?, The main problem with pvp i've been having is that it's 400 vs. 30, and most of those 30(generally about 20 of them) seem to have trouble following tactics most of the time.
    Er... you mean WvW?

It's balanced by switching to a new server that got similar points each week. It's not a perfect system, since people who spend a lot of time on it might get a new job or go on vacation and spend less time on it the next week. New people join, which either has no effect, balances it out, or unbalances it further. You might also have the problem of servers with two different dominant time zones, where there are a bunch of other guys on your side - they're just not on when your small disorganized band is fighting the large warband of enemy players.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-05 at 05:27 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

that last thign could explain it, the enemy forces did seem to change in style in numbers depending on the time, as did ours
    Meow(Steam page)

27. - Top - End - #387

ClericGuy

By the way, I think we should start doing some stuff together. Who's at 30? I'm working to get up there (23). We sould definitely do the Ascalonian Catacombs at 30, so that we can get pounded hard together.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I'm up for that just got to 26 with my Charr engineer so hopefully should be looking at getting to 30 over the next couple of days. I am having a blast with the game the pacing seems to suit me personally do a story mission which have been alot of fun then exploring doing the heart? missions till i reach the level requirement for the next one suits me and the misses perfectly as we can put it down at a moments notice,

Was going to ask though anyhone have trouble logging on, after i click pay we seem to be waiting 3-4 minutes till it comes up with the character select we always think its crashed.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

I would also be up for grouping, at least my guardian or warrior reaches a high enough level(warrior is 16, and guardian 18 at the moment), if anyone has lower level alts, I also have a level 7 ranger, and a level 7 engineer(though I have been thinking of rerolling the engineer to both reset his skills, so I could select more useful ones, and to change his appearance and/or race[what would be a good race for an engineer?, I like the human's appearance, but the norn, char, and sylvari racial skills are more interesting then the human's, though I'm not 100% sure of they're useful to an engineer).
    I also do have that long log-in problem, but only on my laptop, which manages to meet/exceed all but one(the video card is too old, but the other parts actually are new enough, which makes it even more frustrating hat I can't upgrade it's video card) of the minimum system requirments
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-06 at 12:17 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

30. - Top - End - #390

ClericGuy

So, Togath, I hear you don't like casters

If I had to give you a suggestion, get your guardian to 30 first. If you want to do dungeons, warrior is a hard class to play. Catacombs is going to be hard. There's a reason why there's the armor repairer at the start.