New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by TedEBearNC View Post
    Were you representing? When you join you aren't automatically representing, you have to set it in the guild panel. From what I understand you can only see and participate in guild chat for the guild your currently represent. If you were, perhaps they were not and that's why they didn't see you.
    I wouldn't have been able to address the guild if I wasn't representing

Yes, I did. It's a Leather helmet.

"Mighty Conjurer Mask of Fire Legion"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick question about soloing; a friend of mine has taken interest in guildwars 2, so i let him try out a character(human elementalist) so he could see if he liked the game, but, he did have a little bit of trouble playing one, he kept dying on level 1 quests, and wasn't able to get past level 2(then again, he tried it out after a long workday on a day he only got 5 hours of sleep, so he may have been extra tried when he tried it out).
    Anyone have ideas for a class I could recommend to him for soloing?, Until now the only mmo he's played has been wow, where he usually plays(all of these are level 85 characters, except the druid which is level 81) either an arcane mage, a tank/healer druid, or a beast master hunter, he also has a level 85 combat rogue, but he doesn't play that one as often.
    Also, do you think the guildwars 2 quest system would be a little bit too open for him?, He's used to wow where there are quest giver npcs, but he does do a lot of dungeons.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-08-31 at 11:48 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    A quick question about soloing; a friend of mine has taken interest in guidlwars 2, so i let him try out a character(human elementalist) so he could see if he like dthe game, but, he did have a little bit of trouble playing one, he kept dying on level 1 quests.
    Anyone have ideas for a class I coudl recomend to him for soloing?, Until now the only mmo he's played has been wow, where he usually plays(all of these are level 85 characters, except the druid which is level 81) either an arcane mage, a tank/healer druid, or a beas tmaster hunter, he also has a level 85 combat rogue, but he doesn't play that one as often.
    Also, do you think the guildwars 2 quest system would be a little bit too open for him?, He's used to wow where there are quest giver npcs, but he does do a lot of dungeons.
    Mace/Shield guardian is pretty damn survivable. It's also something of a tank/healer.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I wouldn't have been able to address the guild if I wasn't representing

Yes, I did. It's a Leather helmet.

"Mighty Conjurer Mask of Fire Legion"
    Well, it wouldn't be Guild Wars without some official Guild Drama.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

I just came across wizard's keif(a town on some cliffs, by a coast, in a level 15-20 human zone, it's inhabited by elementals and has a vista on the cliffs, and a skill point for fighting a fire elemental), is there any way to reach the giant, flying castle in the water near it?, From what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem to farfetched that it could be reached.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-01 at 05:39 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Mace/Shield guardian is pretty damn survivable. It's also something of a tank/healer.
    Agreed, I run with Mace/Shield and Greatsword, with a staff in my bag for big events. Tons of fun.

IF you are not constantly switching between weapon sets to use skills with long CDs you are underusing your class from what I can tell. My mesmer gained so much power when I started using the '~' key to swap weapons. Now I can always have three dps illusions going. For guardian, pop down the healing circle, swap to GW and start doing the spinning DPS attack (button '3'). Some people have been hitting the game saying it is just 5 keys, but thats more them just being poor players. You have 10 weapon skills and 5 utility skills as well as a few F1-F4 keys.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

A quick question about soloing; a friend of mine has taken interest in guildwars 2, so i let him try out a character(human elementalist) so he could see if he liked the game, but, he did have a little bit of trouble playing one, he kept dying on level 1 quests, and wasn't able to get past level 2(then again, he tried it out after a long workday on a day he only got 5 hours of sleep, so he may have been extra tried when he tried it out).
    Anyone have ideas for a class I could recommend to him for soloing?, Until now the only mmo he's played has been wow, where he usually plays(all of these are level 85 characters, except the druid which is level 81) either an arcane mage, a tank/healer druid, or a beast master hunter, he also has a level 85 combat rogue, but he doesn't play that one as often.
    Hmm, you probably shouldn't be dying at first level. Make sure your friend is using all his abilities? Also, never underestimate the power of running away, however cowardly it may seem! I think all the classes can solo their way through the content, though I think Engineer and Mesmer (warning: high skill floor, extremely high skill cap) may have it a bit easier time, since they have turrets and illusions to tank enemy mobs with.

As for the quest system, it really isn't all that different from WoW. Rather than talking to a questgiver, you just go to the area and the quest pops up in the log (which saves a step, and makes sure you don't waste any progress on a quest). On top of that, there are the spawned events, which really isn't all that different from WoW's phasing system (a good comparison might be how the Death Knight quest line worked out in the beginning, only everybody is in the same phase). As for the actual quests, it's basically the same "kill X mob, pick up Y item" and so on.

I just came across wizard's keif(a town on some cliffs, by a coast, in a level 15-20 human zone, it's inhabited by elementals and has a vista on the cliffs, and a skill point for fighting a fire elemental), is there any way to reach the giant, flying castle in the water near it?, From what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem to farfetched that it could be reached.
    Yeah I've been there too. I don't think there is currently a way up there, but I could be wrong.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Mesmer is soso solo I heard, the illusions die extremely fast.

Overall I think as you said Engineer is very good solo but the best class for that would be the ranger with a tank pet in my opinion

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post

Overall I think as you said Engineer is very good solo but the best class for that would be the ranger with a tank pet in my opinion
    I'm currently a level 30 ranger. Soloing is... well, there are some challenging bits, but yeah pretty easy so far. Overall though, this isn't an especially hard game.

As for the pet... I feel like my pet is a squishball (I've tried every pet type). It contributes little to no damage, and if I use anything less than a boar/bear/drake, it just folds so quickly I shouldn't have even bothered. I've currently settled on using Snow Owl and Snow Leopard, since they can apply slows on their attacks (easier to kite enemies that way). I mean, as far as my pet is concerned, I only use the Owl as my primary because it gives me a 30% movement speed buff...
    Last edited by Neftren; 2012-09-01 at 09:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah leveling up is not that challenging but then again it really should not be, I still have nightmares about my blademaster in daoc at release who could kill nothing but green con mobs (lowest possible level that still gave xp) and every 30min I could solo a blue con (2 levels lower) with a 30min cd ability while everyone else was happily grinding yellow (same level) monsters :-/

Anyway the ranger bit is a bit odd, I never played a ranger but I saw quite a lot of videos with the pets tanking everything quite well, though these where a bit older (beta2 maybe?) so they might well have changed how much the pets can take

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

So I went ahead and bought Guild Wars 2. My first character is an Asura Mesmer. I have to admit I'm a little confused about how everything works, but I hope I'll get the hang of it eventually.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-01 at 12:55 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    So I went ahead and bought Guild Wars 2. My first character is an Asura Mesmer. I have to admit I'm a little confused about how everything works. And now the three saboteurs in the second mission are kicking my butt.
    Mesmer is difficult for someone that doesn't understand how things work, and even *more* difficult to solo at low levels compared to other professions.
    Just my opinion, but I would suggest a different profession until you understand things a bit more.

As far as profession mechanics coupled with survivability-to-DPS ratios go, I'd put Warrior as the most newbie friendly profession. Mesmer is near the bottom of that list.
    If you're looking to play something sneaky, Thief is more newbie friendly than Mesmer. If you're looking for a pet master type, Ranger or Necromancer is more newbie friendly than Mesmer. If you're looking for a caster type, Elementalist and Necromancer are more newbie friendly than Mesmer.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I do intend to make a Human Warrior later. I made a mesmer out of sentiment, because I played it extensively in Guild Wars 1.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-01 at 12:56 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Done.

On a related note, anyone willing to volunteer for the recruiter rank?
    I've been thinking, and after this weekend my schedule will free up considerably. If you are still looking for volunteers for one of the upper ranks I'm willing help out. I'd be happpy with any of them.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Clones should really be detonated as soon as possible, because they do very little damage.

Well, the Phased Retreat clone is pretty nice, as it inflicts random conditions and boons, but other than that...

There's also a trait to increase illusion HP!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

About the black lion trading company thingy, is the "exchange gold/silver for gems used in it" a permanent feature?, Until I had looked at it last night I thought it was one of those cash shop thingies that some games have, but I could only find things obtained through gold/silver or by trading gold/silver for the gems.
    edit: removed the triple post(managed to get three errors while trying to post)
    The things it sells look fun, and if they plan to keep the option of trading silver and gold for them i might aim for things such as the extra character slots(about 1-2 gold at the moment), or the digital collector's edition thingy(about 8 gold atm if I remember right)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-01 at 05:19 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I'm using a staff as my mesmer right now. Not sure if it's better than Sceptre + Focus, really. I've played too little to be able to tell. The basic sceptre attack seems better at placing clones close to the enemy so you can blow them up, though.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

About the black lion trading company thingy, is the "exchange gold/silver for gems used in it" a permanent feature?, Until I had looked at it last night I thought it was one of those cash shop thingies that some games have, but I could only find things obtained through gold/silver or by trading gold/silver for the gems.
    edit: removed the triple post(managed to get three errors while trying to post)
    The things it sells look fun, and if they plan to keep the option of trading silver and gold for them i might aim for things such as the extra character slots(about 1-2 gold at the moment), or the digital collector's edition thingy(about 8 gold atm if I remember right)
    It's a permanent feature. You can buy gems with cash and then sell them for gold, or buy gems for gold. Anet gets the cash either way, so why should they care who gets the gem store items?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Hah. I just noticed that when I use a Shatter skill, my clones actually run up to the target and blow up. It makes things easier. Still, I do wonder if I should let the Illusionary Warlocks attack or just shatter them.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by LightWraith View Post
    I've been thinking, and after this weekend my schedule will free up considerably. If you are still looking for volunteers for one of the upper ranks I'm willing help out. I'd be happpy with any of them.
    I put you up to Knight. There's not really much the ranks above that can do ATM anyway.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Hah. I just noticed that when I use a Shatter skill, my clones actually run up to the target and blow up. It makes things easier. Still, I do wonder if I should let the Illusionary Warlocks attack or just shatter them.
    If you're fighting a boss with lots of people and they're stacking conditions on the boss, let the Warlock attack, because it gets bonus damage per condition.

Otherwise, shatter it.

Illusionary Duelist is pretty awesome though, so let that one attack by all means.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Shoot an invite to AlterForm.7045, if you please. I'm actually on Henge (goodness, why can't I hold all these WvW buffs? :3) with a guild from GW1, but once guesting gets added in I could jump servers for a bit

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

I'm using a staff as my mesmer right now. Not sure if it's better than Sceptre + Focus, really. I've played too little to be able to tell. The basic sceptre attack seems better at placing clones close to the enemy so you can blow them up, though.
    I didn't even bother with shatters on mine during beta.
    I used sword/pistol [for ridiculous melee DPS and a little survivability] and greatsword for ranged.
    Instead of using clones for shatters, I used phantasms for DPS.
    It was quite fun, and was actually one of my favorite beta toons.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

So who else here is on Tarnished Coast? I'm in dire need of copper/leather/wood, and I have a ton of dust and so on... if anyone wants to swap?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

the dusts are useful?, how valuable are they?, I've jsut been vendering it until now(it does remind me, is there any sort of aution house/broker/trading psot system in guildwars?, and is there any form of bank?)
    Meow(Steam page)

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

So I went ahead and bought Guild Wars 2. My first character is an Asura Mesmer. I have to admit I'm a little confused about how everything works, but I hope I'll get the hang of it eventually.
    Finally, another Asura Mesmer! On Darkhaven, the only other mesmers I've seen are Human or Sylvari >.> I tend to use scepter+pistol and greatsword. The greatsword is also great for soloing for your personal story quests, because of the pushback.

And if you also have the tier 2 ability to create 2 clones, which is not only using for evading (it moves you slightly), it also increases your damage because you can just shatter them on a mob.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

the dusts are useful?, how valuable are they?, I've jsut been vendering it until now(it does remind me, is there any sort of aution house/broker/trading psot system in guildwars?, and is there any form of bank?)
    Weaponsmithing uses dust for sharpening stones, a stat+ consumable item family. Not sure about crafting levels above ~100 or other disciplines, though.

There is an auction house, but it's currently down for maintenance due to ... overloading? Abuse? Not sure, to be honest. Anet said they rolled it out to a "rotating 50% of players" yesterday, so it should be back soon.

You can access your personal bank from a banker NPC (in the home cities) or any crafting station. You can access the guild bank ("stash") from the proper NPC in a home city so long as you have permissions to do so.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Jewelcrafting uses the dusts for transmogrifying gems as well (combining properties of gems.).
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299

ClericGuy

The dust is used to merge two lesser level gemstones into a bigger one, and in making some special inventory bags IIRC. If you aren't into jewelry, it's probably not worth holding onto it.

The Auction House is operational, it's called Black Lion something, but as Anet says, you have a 50/50 of it not working. Keep trying and it will. It is currently not up 100% of the time due to extreme overloading.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Finally got to do the first dungeon (Ascalonian Catacombs). It was pleasant enough. You still have people standing in giant obvious blue/green/purple flaming clouds of circular doom until they keel over, and immediately shouting "rezz pls" (and occasionally someone actually runs over to heal them, and then immediately dies to the huge obvious flaming circle of doom as well).

But I guess that's just MMOs. I was pleased with how much of a difference dodging, line-of-sighting, and plain situational awareness made, this being the first dungeon and all (it's a step up from Deadmines, shall we say), and I look forward to doing it again with some more competent folk (even with the lady who refused to wear any armor, and the dudes who refused to not stand in the fire, I still managed to make a profit in both monies and xp, so competence should make the haul astounding).