New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 42 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Guild Wars 2!

It's coming out, finally. 28 august. The PvE and WvW looks really gorgeous, and no pay-to-win. Yet.

Who's going to play?
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

I am. I've already been playing in the beta weekends and having a lot of fun.

I honestly wasn't expecting quite so early a release. I still have a couple minor issues with it, but overall I'm really looking forward to being able to play.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

3. - Top - End - #3

ClericGuy

I was surprised as well, I think it's due to marketing. PAX is on the same day, and they want to have some distance with world of panda.

I actually don't expect the game to be completely ready as it ships, but I'm confident it will kick ass all over.

I'm hearing D3 is dying already, is that true?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty surprised here at the release date; I was expecting more like late September at the earliest.

Guess that means I only have 2 months to crank out 2 more HoM points to hit 40 in time. (No way I can devote enough time to hit 50...)

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    I'm hearing D3 is dying already, is that true?
    public game wise yea it is, and by xfire's population. But I think more people are limiting their games to private and I don't know much about xfire's population to know if its accurate to D3's overall population, it might not be a good game for the majority of xfire. I know I have not played D3 this week because of a new guild in WoW but thats the only reason so far.

I am curious how the release dates for the fall's release is going to be, GW2 is one of the first to my knowledge.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2 - Outrunning Centaurs in the Playground!

^...Sorry, I thought the thread needed a snappy tagline, and thus, I chose to use the worst one :s

But yeah, I've immensely enjoyed the previous beta weekends and stress tests. Tried the PvE and WvW, really want to try sPvP, but I'm a bit sheepish in joining those games, in the case that I fail spectacularly.

So, class preferences? I'm torn between Thief, Mesmer, and Warrior, pretty much due to each of those classes having a decently huge measure of mobility.

Also, in-game names and servers? I'm on Jade Quarry myself.
    Last edited by Treayn; 2012-06-29 at 12:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I'm in, and I'm super excited.
    Some friends from another game have a guild comprised of us, some friends of thiers, some former guildmates from other games, etc etc etc. Everyone in the guild (so far) knows at least two or three other people.
    I've had a blast in the BWEs so far. I'll probably main a Thief, Mesmer, Ele or Guardian to start, and it will probably be a Sylvari.
    We're No Quarter on Deldrimor, and my account name is Calebrus (.3802 if there end up being more than one).
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-06-29 at 06:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGuy

Just be reminded that armor levels mean next to nothing and you'll be fine. Don't play a warrior to be tanky. :)

I am definitely going Sylvari Necro.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Games that cost $60 on release make me sad. Even if they are nonsubscription. I've regretted every $60 purchase I've made, to some degree (except SCII, and even then, I didn't play that as much as I could have) and never bought a subscription game.

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Games that cost $60 on release make me sad. Even if they are nonsubscription. I've regretted every $60 purchase I've made, to some degree (except SCII, and even then, I didn't play that as much as I could have) and never bought a subscription game.
    I would usually agree. However, if a game like Portal 2 is tagged at 30$, and offers less than 10 hours of play time, paying 55$ for a (pre-release) game that promises hundreds of hours at the very least is, well, a nice bargain. Because there is a LOT of content. And by a lot, I mean a lot. I'm sure you will be finding that you played for 400 hours and yet you still haven't entered some areas.

If you go by gameplay quality, you probably won't be disappointed. I have yet to see such fluid, fun and difficult gameplay in an online game as I saw in GW2. If you look at the graphics, yeah. 55$ might be a lot for a game that sports nice but not over-the-top graphics. However, the art is top quality and what is lacking in polygon count is made up by the sheer beauty of the world.

But yes, 55$ is a lot for any videogame, these days. I think it's justified (I haven't spent more than 20 on any videogame other than GW2 for ages), but you will have to see for yourself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

But yes, 55$ is a lot for any videogame, these days. I think it's justified (I haven't spent more than 20 on any videogame other than GW2 for ages), but you will have to see for yourself.
    The problem is I basically have to KNOW I will spend a large portion of my life on this game (40+ hours)... there are only a handful of games in the last 3 years I've done that too. And all of them had very low initial costs.

If my friends pick up Guild Wars II, I'll probably buy it. I might buy it anyways. But right now I'm likely to gonna stick to Crusader Kings II and LoL, and then get Torchlight II when that comes out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Well the thing is, mmos (at least the AAA titles) are among the most expensive thing to produce together with other more open world titles (gta etc).

Together with the no subscription and no pay to win this is pretty much the cheapest mmo there is on the market (atleast from those I know off)and well worth the $.

For example daoc if you put all the money I payed them together it had a
    1100 € (= 1 393,37 US$) pricetag for me(without addons!), yeah 55€ its nothing ^^

Anyway as I said its prob the cheapest mmo on the market ^^
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-06-29 at 03:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I know GreenManGaming was selling the game for $47 during the first 2 beta weekends, but sadly that deal's passed.

So the next best thing, if anyone's still looking to get the game, Newegg has the game for $49.99.
    Just put the game into your cart and use the following promo code:

Spoiler
    Show
    EMCNDHA44

- Offer goes until early Sunday.
    - I don't know if it's a Pre-Order or Pre-Purchase, you'll have to check with Newegg or ArenaNet.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice, I had been hoping guildwars 2 would come out this summer, I've been following it's progress since december and have been really looking forward to it.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

well atleast one month of semester break remaining when it comes out

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Together with the no subscription and no pay to win this is pretty much the cheapest mmo there is on the market (atleast from those I know off)and well worth the $.
    That's not entirely true. There are plenty of foreign games, and DDO that are theoretically not pay to win. Of course, they do have the option of buying gear, but in most cases, they give you time where you can only get the gear from drops before releasing it to the cash store. DDO is pretty bad in the pay to win aspect, but some of the obscure foreign ones are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post
    So the next best thing, if anyone's still looking to get the game, Newegg has the game for $49.99.
    I wish I had known about that earlier! Although I don't know that I would have taken it. I rarely pre order games, so I decided to spend a little extra for the DCE to get the combat and non combat pets. I don't know what they /are/ but it's bragging rights that won't be available to people who join later.

I, and some others from the GitP Facebook group are considering making a <In The Playground> guild, I'll try to remember and post back after release if we do.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2012-07-07 at 09:53 PM.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Have they released information on how compatable with older systems guildwars 2 is?, One thing i've been somewhat worried about is whether or not my computer will be able to run it, it can run a few other mmos fine(ddo, wow(on lowish graphic settings anyway], eq2, wakfu, and warhammer online, it can also run minecraft, for all other then WoW it can do so on max graphics and still get a decent framerate)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-07-07 at 09:59 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    I, and some others from the GitP Facebook group are considering making a <In The Playground> guild, I'll try to remember and post back after release if we do.
    Any preference on server? And gah, Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Have they released information on how compatable with older systems guildwars 2 is?, One thing i've been somewhat worried about is whether or not my computer will be able to run it, it can run a few other mmos fine(ddo, wow(on lowish graphic settings anyway], eq2, wakfu, and warhammer online, it can also run minecraft, for all other then WoW it can do so on max graphics and still get a decent framerate)
    Can't really make a recommendation until the next beta weekend rolls around, as that's when they'll start optimizing their game.

19. - Top - End - #19

ClericGuy

Minimum System Requirements

However, I would strongly encourage a very large and semi-empty hard disk, or possibly SSD, and a solid video card and CPU. The graphics settings will make a difference and this is one of those games where you want the graphics.

20. - Top - End - #20

Any preference on server? And gah, Facebook.
    Have they posted anything like a server list? I was hoping to play on whatever server Lore (a live steamer I like, previously from tank spot) ends up on.
    My games:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, here's a server list, with all the various communities on them.

As I said a few posts above, I'm on Jade Quarry, with a real life friend. Probably going to start a sPvP guild of our own on that server, but nothing's set in stone.

Luckily, GW2 allows you to be in multiple guilds, so yeah.

22. - Top - End - #22

As I said a few posts above, I'm on Jade Quarry, with a real life friend. Probably going to start a sPvP guild of our own on that server, but nothing's set in stone.

But are you certain that the beta servers will be the same as the live servers? They don't have nearly as many beta players as they are expecting at release, I'm sure at the very least they will add more, if not change the list entirely...

EDIT: I think he's on Isle of Janthir, but I'll have to re-watch the stream where he says to know for sure.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2012-07-08 at 01:00 AM.
    My games:

23. - Top - End - #23

It doesn't matter what server one's on now, but we should try to work out a server for a GiTP guild, maybe around the last beta weekend, assuming they have one.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    Minimum System Requirements

However, I would strongly encourage a very large and semi-empty hard disk, or possibly SSD, and a solid video card and CPU. The graphics settings will make a difference and this is one of those games where you want the graphics.
    for graphics, I usually dont like the high graphics setting in games(as least high, lighting, water, particle, and shadow effects)so even if I need low graphics to run it, I should be fine.
    Also, do you know of any links that explain what a hard disk and SSd are?, I dont really understand computer terms.
    Also, do you know of any way to find out if my computer has any of the things listed in the minimum system requirments?, I cant just look at my computer's shell thngy because it's just a shell, and it's insdies are form about 2-3 other computers I think(at least two computers, as i remember getting a freind to help attatch the thingy[hard drive?] that holds information from a computer I had which died to this newish one)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-07-08 at 05:00 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we had a thread about a website that tells you if you can run a game...

Ah found the link to the thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246587

Anyway a hard disk is a magnetic storage medium with a rotating disk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HardDisk1.ogg

A ssd (solid state drive) on the other hand has no moving parts and stores data electronically not magnetically, they are a lot faster and far more expansive / gb

To put it bluntly both of those serve the same purpose, to store your data, operating system, games etc and nearly every (for the purpose of this thread every is enough^^) consumer computer has one.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-07-08 at 10:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    But are you certain that the beta servers will be the same as the live servers? They don't have nearly as many beta players as they are expecting at release, I'm sure at the very least they will add more, if not change the list entirely...

EDIT: I think he's on Isle of Janthir, but I'll have to re-watch the stream where he says to know for sure.
    I'm sure the existing servers will stay as they are, I doubt ANet's going to make all these huge gaming communities scramble to find new servers at launch.

As for new servers, It'd be good to have a populated, but not full server. I think the new servers would end up being on the low end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    It doesn't matter what server one's on now, but we should try to work out a server for a GiTP guild, maybe around the last beta weekend, assuming they have one.
    Next Beta weekend's on July 20-22nd.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

My crew is on Deldrimor. If Deldrimor still exists when the game launches I'm sure we'll probably stay there for simplicity's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    I think we had a thread about a website that tells you if you can run a game...

Ah found the link to the thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246587
    That site says that I pass it's test with flying colors.
    I guess it doesn't know that after playing in BWE1 I was anxiously anticipating BWE2 because my performance was mediocre in PvE and unplayable in WvW. After BWE2 I started shopping for a new MoBo and CPU (and ended up ordering what basically amounts to an entirely new system) which should be delivered early this week (and we have inventory at work all week, so I won't get a chance to build it until the weekend).

So take what Can You Run It? says with a grain of salt.

Also, do you know of any way to find out if my computer has any of the things listed in the minimum system requirments?,
    How to find out my PC's specs

Basically all you *really* need to check are the CPU (processor) and GPU (graphics card). If your system can handle those other things, then these are the only two that will really pose the question.
    Just remember: never judge whether or not your system can handle a game based on the minimum requirements that they list. Always use the recommended requirements as the baseline. If you're below the recommended reqs you might be disappointed playing it. They only list the minimums as "Yes, the game will instal and load with this" but that doesn't mean that it will be playable in every situation. If you have the recommended reqs then it will be playable.
    I'm the perfect example of this. That test site he linked says I'm golden. But in large world events with tons of players around, I was so lagged out (due to my lesser CPU) that I literally couldn't move. It met the minimum reqs, but was unplayable in certain situations.
    Always use recommended reqs as the baseline.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-07-08 at 05:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'm the perfect example of this. That test site he linked says I'm golden. But in large world events with tons of players around, I was so lagged out (due to my lesser CPU) that I literally couldn't move. It met the minimum reqs, but was unplayable in certain situations.
    Always use recommended reqs as the baseline.
    To be fair, the build used for the bwes is unoptimized and cpu heavy. There was also a lot of lag from the number of players, especially on the fridays of the bwes and in the low level zones where everyone was.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    To be fair, the build used for the bwes is unoptimized and cpu heavy. There was also a lot of lag from the number of players, especially on the fridays of the bwes and in the low level zones where everyone was.
    It's been commonly reported that it's unoptimized for multi core processors as well, causing severe lag when running anything else on the same core.
    My games:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    The build for BWE1 was unoptimized. BWE2 was quite a bit better.
    But even if it hadn't been, that doesn't explain why I was lagged out in the level 15-25 zones when there were only about twenty people fighting in a world event, nor why no one else in my party/guild was having these issues.
    The more people that are around the worse it was. That's to be expected.

I'm merely pointing out that the wonderful tool linked to help determine if it will run said that I passed with flying colors, and that I was having many issues while others on better systems were not.
    It won't be a problem for the final BWE as I'll have an i5 2500k and 12gb of RAM. Basically I'm building a system that was top of the line a year ago.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-07-08 at 06:30 PM.