New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    So, Togath, I hear you don't like casters

If I had to give you a suggestion, get your guardian to 30 first. If you want to do dungeons, warrior is a hard class to play. Catacombs is going to be hard. There's a reason why there's the armor repairer at the start.
    I'll aim for leveling my guardian before my warrior then.
    I also have actually been planning to make a necro or mesmer once I get an extra character slot.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #392
    Banned

So, Togath, I hear you don't like casters

If I had to give you a suggestion, get your guardian to 30 first. If you want to do dungeons, warrior is a hard class to play. Catacombs is going to be hard. There's a reason why there's the armor repairer at the start.
    I have alt-itis, so getting someone to 30 has been the challenging part for me. As of logging on Tuesday I had a level 27 Elementalist, a level 21 Thief, a level 14 Engineer, and a level 9 Guardian. When I logged in, my guildies gave me a hard time about not yet having anyone able to run it, so I pounded out another few levels on my Ele and we hit it.
    Four guildies and a pugger. Two of my guildies had done it before, and the rest of us hadn't. It took us about and hour and a half to get through it, which I think will be closer to 45 minutes or maybe an hour once we get more experience in there and have better gear & more traits from higher levels [half an hour for a fast & experienced group is my estimate]. The two that had done it before died less than the three newbies, but it was still a fairly regular occurrence.

It was also a lot of fun, and I thought it was fantastic as the first dungeon. Tough and unforgiving of mistakes without being unfairly difficult.
    Some of the traps and the final boss will absolutely one-shot you if you aren't paying attention to your surroundings.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Might be different story as melee, but as ranged I took damage single time during Aedelbarn.

Considering how difficult rest of the dungeon was, he was kinda anticlimatic.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way, I think we should start doing some stuff together. Who's at 30? I'm working to get up there (23). We sould definitely do the Ascalonian Catacombs at 30, so that we can get pounded hard together.
    My Ranger is at 65. I'd be more than happy to come along for Catacombs though. I think the loot scales to my level.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I would also be up for grouping, at least my guardian or warrior reaches a high enough level(warrior is 16, and guardian 18 at the moment), if anyone has lower level alts, I also have a level 7 ranger, and a level 7 engineer(though I have been thinking of rerolling the engineer to both reset his skills, so I could select more useful ones, and to change his appearance and/or race[what would be a good race for an engineer?, I like the human's appearance, but the norn, char, and sylvari racial skills are more interesting then the human's, though I'm not 100% sure of they're useful to an engineer).
    I also do have that long log-in problem, but only on my laptop, which manages to meet/exceed all but one(the video card is too old, but the other parts actually are new enough, which makes it even more frustrating hat I can't upgrade it's video card) of the minimum system requirments
    My main is pretty high, but I did roll two new characters (Mesmer and Thief), so I'd be more than happy to group up with you. Playing solo gets really boring, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
    Might be different story as melee, but as ranged I took damage single time during Aedelbarn.

Considering how difficult rest of the dungeon was, he was kinda anticlimatic.
    Yeah, I didn't take any damage on that last fight. The first few were murderous though...

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

I finally bought the trait book from a Mesmer trader. Now we're talking. I seem to be advancing pretty slowly compared to others, but I'm fine with that. I think I'll stop messing around with alts and focus on my Mesmer now, though.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I recently switched from Engineer to Warrior.

Holy. Crap. Yes.

Engineer was fun, don't get me wrong. The kits were nifty, dual pistols was great for condition damage, but I just wasn't enjoying the Asura + Priory storyline, and it seemed like it was taking me far longer to level/murder innocent Sepratists than other people.

With the swap to the new class (and race, and order) this game went from good to great. Dual axes and a longbow feel really good. I'm kinda curious what people are doing with warrior traits though. I was thinking of putting points into the bottom one (tactics?), and I know I'll be putting points into the top two (power and precision lines) up to about 20 points each. Does anyone else have any suggestions for group support, dungeons, WvW, etc?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decatus View Post
    Does anyone else have any suggestions for group support, dungeons, WvW, etc?
    This probably won't matter just yet, and this applies to everybody else looking to attempt Sorrow's Embrace (level 60 dungeon). Be sure to get traits and unlock skills that can heal your character, heal other characters, help you revive people faster, and most importantly, get skills and traits that help you cleanse conditions (bleeds, burns, poisons, etc.).

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Question: how good is a Sword + Warhorn set? I'm trying to decide about the alternate weapon set for my Warrior. He uses a greatsword, primarily, so I'm thinking a Sword + Warhorn would be good, because a Sword targets single enemies (while the Greatsword mostly has AoE attacks) and a Warhorn provides buffs.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Question: how good is a Sword + Warhorn set? I'm trying to decide about the alternate weapon set for my Warrior. He uses a greatsword, primarily, so I'm thinking a Sword + Warhorn would be good, because a Sword targets single enemies (while the Greatsword mostly has AoE attacks) and a Warhorn provides buffs.
    Warrior warhorn is good for mobility, and it has a decent debuff ability, but for soloing a shield, or a longbow is probably better
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

My Warrior is level 73 now and about 99% of the time I'm using a greatsword(haven't done much pvp yet). Even against single targets it does more damage than any other weapon, atleast that's how it feels to me. Plus its burstskill combined with 'For Great Justice!' ensures a 100% frenzy uptime.

The other 1%, mostly when fighting veterans or dropping low during an event, I use a rifle because of its excellent kiting capabilities and solid single target damage.

All of the above is ofcourse meant for soloing. For Dungeoneering I really have no idea yet, what works the best, but suggest that you take a meele and a ranged weapon for flexibility.

PS did someone else solo the fourth boss in twilight arbor yet?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground

I recently got the game and I am having so much fun playing a Sylvari Mesmer it is outrageous.

Any good weapon, other than staff though? I am not really enjoying the others focusing on my staff most of the time.

Also should I focus on condition damage? I am doing that atm and works great, though it is a pain when I have to use some other weapon for a quest.

Any advice will be appreciated

Currently level 30
    Working on: Anointed Heritor PEACHes are welcome.
    Playing with: Firia & Cadaver
    Awesome avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Condidtion damage seems pretty good so far, though I've mostly only used burning(on my guardian) and bleeding(on my engineer or sometimes my warrior, warrior isn't quite as good at it, and is specced for crit chance and durability) effects so far.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-06 at 06:11 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

Warrior is great for condition damage. Equipped with two swords, warrior has atleast four possibilities to apply bleeding. Equip two axes, specc into precisission to get a chance to apply a bleed with every crit and watch everyone around you bleed to death.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I dinged (swooshed? Leveling makes a swoosh sound in this game...) to 30 earlier today. I'd love to run through Catacombs with some guildies on Saturday if anyone else is up for it. I'll be playing my warrior, and bringing some shouts and banners - likely the toughness and might ones, they seem like they wold be the most useful in a group.

15. - Top - End - #405

ClericGuy

So, I ran Catacombs today with my guild. Started at level 27, ended at 28. The others were three level 30something, and a guy who's at 80 already. I'll give you a run-down, so you know what to expect.

Most of us "know how to play", because we've been playing for a fair bit already. That said, these characters were new for most of us, and it was the first real hard stuff we were doing. We started off hard, taking deaths at the very first mooks, before getting the hang of it. Ghosts can easily down you within 2-3 seconds, all of them. Necros are probably the least dangerous because they don't have burst damage, but their conditions hurt.

Once we started rolling, finally, we got to the center. When you first arrive there is a very tricky fight with a swarm of ghosts, and there can be many deaths if people are not careful to stay out of AoE. Then there were the three bosses.

The order I'll suggest is Nente -> Kasha -> lovers. Nente is quite easy if you dodge at the right moments. He has issues in that he goes invulnerable sometimes, but other than that it's sort of easy. Kasha less so, because she has tons of conditions. For that particular fight it is advisable to equip anti-condition weapons and utilities (and traits, who can). We took maybe one death in two bosses though, so nothing too hard.

The hardest part of the dungeon are the lovers. They're two bosses which spawn together and, as long as they're together, they're shielded from all ranged attacks I believe. The girl is very good at one-shotting everyone; the boy is good at summoning an illusionary minion that keeps you from regening when downed - and he hits super hard too. The only way we found was to abuse all the boulders on the ground. They can knock back the lovers a fair bit and with some luck you can get into a knocklock that keeps them disabled for a fair bit. Also, boulders are one of the few ways to separate them - it's paramount to keep them apart. In the meanwhile the party should focus fire on one of them, preferably the woman since she hits the hardest.

How this fight will go: deaths, deaths, and deaths. Suffice to say I died about 20 times during the whole dungeon, and 17 of those were at the lovers. The problems is that when they aren't fighting they regen back; this means people have to get back as fast as possible from the nearest WP, and ideally people should die one at a time so that there is always someone to keep the aggro, and they don't regen.

King Adelbern at the end is piece of cake, just stay out of his AoE.

As a reward, you get 5s out of each of Nente, Kasha, and the lovers (the second one drops the loot) and a further 10s as the completion reward. You also get some drops, and if you're lucky (like I was) a gold drop. I had armor in the 20s and spent about 5s in repairs. I suggest those with a higher level armor to buy something that costs a bit less to repair, the L80 in our group had a net negative of -5s after having sold all the loot.

There are a couple more tricks but I'll show them when we meet, hopefully.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

re: The Lovers Boss Fight

You shouldn't be messing with the boulders at all. Have someone just Line-of-Sight kite Romeo back and forth around the braziers on the sides of the arena, while everyone else nukes down Juliet.

This is something I noticed by complete accident on one run, but it's very simple to execute, and after explaining it to the groups I've been with since, I don't think I've actually died on that fight again.

Yeah, it'd be nice if they were pillars instead of tiny braziers, to sort of show you that they'd block LoS, but maybe that would've made the mechanic to trivialize the fight too obvious and ArenaNet wants us to suffer.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2012-09-07 at 03:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407

ClericGuy

Huh, interesting. You can even jump on those braziers... definitely going to try it next time!
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to use the boulders to knock one up the stairs and then just kite them. Juliet should be the primary target since the illusions aren't that dangerous.

Overall though, I think the hardest part of the dungeon is the Ascalonian Elementalists and Rangers.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

So I dinged (swooshed? Leveling makes a swoosh sound in this game...) to 30 earlier today. I'd love to run through Catacombs with some guildies on Saturday if anyone else is up for it. I'll be playing my warrior, and bringing some shouts and banners - likely the toughness and might ones, they seem like they wold be the most useful in a group.
    I could do it with you. What time?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

is there a way to see chat (hopefully in a different color) from a guild you are not currently representing? I am in the GitP one, but typically dont represent it. But I would love to be able to switch over to send a guild chat about setting up an AC group or something, but it seems most people are not representing.

Same, where I would love to hear if there was a GitP group getting together in guild chat, but would not see it if I was not representing at that moment.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'd be interested as well, my Elementalist will be 30 by the end of today probably.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    is there a way to see chat (hopefully in a different color) from a guild you are not currently representing? I am in the GitP one, but typically dont represent it. But I would love to be able to switch over to send a guild chat about setting up an AC group or something, but it seems most people are not representing.

Same, where I would love to hear if there was a GitP group getting together in guild chat, but would not see it if I was not representing at that moment.
    I don't think there is, sadly. I'm usually always on Mumble though, as are a bunch of other Playgrounders.

I'm trying to get on IRC a bit more as well, so that's also an option.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

well if you see me on (I think its DrChaos that will show up), in the guild roster, feel free to send me a whisper. I have a 40ish mesmer that would be happy to run it if I have some time and I'm free.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    I could do it with you. What time?
    Quote Originally Posted by LightWraith View Post
    I'd be interested as well, my Elementalist will be 30 by the end of today probably.
    Well, I'm off work on Saturday, so I really don't have anything to do. I'm usually awake by 8am or so Pacific time, and I don't go to bed until 11 or 12 pacific. Maybe in the early afternoon? I might have to run a few errands, but they could easily be done in the morning.

Edit: the above is no longer true. Apparently I'm going to go see my girlfriends mom in the afternoon/evening, and we're running an errand or two in the morning. So....yeah. The curse of having a girlfriend who likes her mom, am I right?

Thus, I may or may not be online at all tomorrow...if I am, odds are it'll be from 11am to 3 or 4pm. I miiiight be able to get online later tomorrow night, after 9 or so, but I'm kinda doubting it.
    Last edited by Decatus; 2012-09-07 at 03:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

After finally getting a few more kits on my engineer I've been wondering which ones I should actually use while soloing, the flame thrower seems to have trouble killing single mobs, rather then killing groups, the grenades are a bit hard to aim and the bomb kit works fine, but I keep mistaking it's delays for lag. Medi-Kit and normal weapons(specifically duel wielded pistols) seems to be doing better.
    Also, would it be a good idea to invest a few skill points into turrets for pvp?, or are kits better in pvp?
    Meow(Steam page)

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

So, engineer L42. I see people chucking grenades or planting bombs. I fail at those. I tried them extensively, and I die to same-level enemies. I can kill L50 stuff by planting my turrets and using my flamethrower (at around 900 damage + weakness/bleed/burning every flame jet salvo), but for some reason, everyone except me agrees that flamethrower is useless and bomb/grenade is the way to go.
    What am I doing wrong/right?
    (the only problem I have with flamethrower is that I miss a slot to pick bonuses from, since I use a generic environmental weapon, any way to fix that?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm off work on Saturday, so I really don't have anything to do. I'm usually awake by 8am or so Pacific time, and I don't go to bed until 11 or 12 pacific. Maybe in the early afternoon? I might have to run a few errands, but they could easily be done in the morning.

Edit: the above is no longer true. Apparently I'm going to go see my girlfriends mom in the afternoon/evening, and we're running an errand or two in the morning. So....yeah. The curse of having a girlfriend who likes her mom, am I right?

Thus, I may or may not be online at all tomorrow...if I am, odds are it'll be from 11am to 3 or 4pm. I miiiight be able to get online later tomorrow night, after 9 or so, but I'm kinda doubting it.
    I've got no plans at all tomorrow, so just send me a message and I'll pop on and play with you.

I'm typically up by 9am Eastern, and I go to bed around midnight.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

my guardian is only level 21 currently, but if I get time, it might be the right level on sunday or monday for a dungeon run.(I also recently found out about boss style mobs that sometimes spawn outside of dungeons, how common are those?, The caledon forest giant worm was fun.
    Also, with regards to the flamethrower thing, what stat(condition damage?, I know that one boosts a guardian's fire attacks) boosts damage from one?
    Meow(Steam page)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Am I the only one who's not that interested in doing dungeons? Not only is it kind of grindy to do ~100 runs to get the tokens for the dungeon armors, but none of them really appeal to me. Further, for me there's a fine line between hard and challenging and from what descriptions I've read about them and what I'm experiencing from the rest of the game, I can tell they fall on the hard side of that line.

As an example, my guardian is in his mid-30s and I've died once in the last several story missions. It wasn't because I couldn't handle the mobs, but rather they spawn and kill me before I can react. Some DE bosses are the same. One hit, or almost one hit, kills are not challenging. My twitch skills aren't the greatest, and even if they were my defensive abilities would only last so long.

That's really my biggest criticism of the game, and it has been since the first beta weekend event.

I'm not that surprised about it, honestly. GW1 end game dungeons were all on the more hard side rather than the challenging side. Like Duncan the Black wasn't challenging. Spending 5-10 minutes swapping away his spirits was tedious and dealing with his reflection skill was hard, but not challenging.

I still love the game, and I'm still having a lot of fun. But dungeons don't seem that fun to me compared to the amount of frustration.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    Am I the only one who's not that interested in doing dungeons?
    I still love the game, and I'm still having a lot of fun. But dungeons don't seem that fun to me compared to the amount of frustration.
    Personally, I agree with some of your points. The whole, "do a billion runs to get your armor/weapons" thing is annoying, yes, but you aren't forced into doing it like you are in some other games. I know that, for my Charr at least, I want to buy the cultural armor - it has the same stats, but it's the look that I want.

And yes, the dungeons are difficult. What I found, though, was that the difficulty promoted strategy and teamwork. When I ran AC on my Engineer, my group - a PuG, no less - would stop before every new room and lay out a general strategy. The guardian did his best to CC mobs in order to control the flow of battle, I used bombs, glue shots, and a turret to provide ground denial, the necro would provide combo fields, etc. When we started working together, it was a great deal of fun, I personally found it more rewarding than any other dungeon I've run in other games, and it got much easier to play through.

But no, you aren't alone in not wanting to do dungeons all the time. I want to do them each at least once to get the story, but I see myself playing alt after alt in this game, so I don't really think that I'll devote that much time to any one character.