New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    *snip*
    This is a fantasy MMO. Death is cheap. It's cheaper than in D&D 3e.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Decatus View Post
    Personally, I agree with some of your points. The whole, "do a billion runs to get your armor/weapons" thing is annoying, yes, but you aren't forced into doing it like you are in some other games. I know that, for my Charr at least, I want to buy the cultural armor - it has the same stats, but it's the look that I want.
    Yeah, I like that I'm not forced stat-wise to do runs for dungeon armor, that's not really what I was getting at. I guess I was more pointing out that the dungeon armors are supposed to be the 'coolest' looking armors, but none of them do much for me.

Actually, not very many of the armor sets that I've seen do much for me. I like the look I have now, but that's just for my guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Decatus View Post
    And yes, the dungeons are difficult.

But no, you aren't alone in not wanting to do dungeons all the time. I want to do them each at least once to get the story, but I see myself playing alt after alt in this game, so I don't really think that I'll devote that much time to any one character.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing the story mode for each, but even for that there's still that hard vs. challenging line that makes them not that much of a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    This is a fantasy MMO. Death is cheap. It's cheaper than in D&D 3e.
    Between waypoint costs and armor repair, it's not that cheap.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

The unofficial Playground guild The Order of the Green Hilt now has the Guild Armourer Contract. So members on the Tarnished Coast server can now buy guild armours (influence and upgrades are server specific).

Higher ranks in the guild are still open.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    The unofficial Playground guild The Order of the Green Hilt now has the Guild Armourer Contract. So members on the Tarnished Coast server can now buy guild armours (influence and upgrades are server specific).

Higher ranks in the guild are still open.
    Sweet. Uhh, how do I take advantage of this guild armor?

Also, let me know if there's anything I can do to help out guild-wise.

5. - Top - End - #425

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Sweet. Uhh, how do I take advantage of this guild armor?
    Guild Armourers are in all the starting cities. They sell guild armour (which are transmutation items for chest pieces) and backpacks. Pretty expensive. Guild gear show the insignia for the guild you represent (assuming they have the contract).
    Also, let me know if there's anything I can do to help out guild-wise.
    Right now I'm mainly concerned that I don't always catch when people ask to join, so having people at the Knight rank helping to keep up with that would be helpful, There's also the small matter that I'm the only real admin and as such the guild's screwed if I can't/don't log in for a while, so having someone at the Seneschal rank to cover that would be important.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2012-09-07 at 09:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

I ended up buying the game and I'm loving it. I love the feeling of cooperation I get running around killing stuff with other players and rezzing people.
    But, I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot sometimes when I do my personal story quests especially with my elementalist. I seem to get killed a lot especially when there are waves of bad guys. I dodge but dodging only seems to do so much when there are that many things attacking me. Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe I'm just not utilizing some awesome CC ability because I didn't realize it was awesome.
    Sweet Batpony avatar by Kairaven.

7. - Top - End - #427

ClericGuy

Personal story is generally harder than the regular mobs.

Some tips for you: dodge early, focus fire to kill enemies one at a time, use all your skills unless there is a very good reason for sticking with autoattack, have the NPCs tank for you. I find ele to be an overwhelming profession for starters; you should get used to swapping attunement more than once in a single fight, but you need to know what you want first. Try to precast some earth defense buffs, start with water for CC, end with fire for blasts for example. I don't know the actual skills though, so someone who plays ele will be able to give better suggestions.

Remember that your dodge bar should never be full!
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-09-08 at 06:49 AM.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Aiani View Post
    I ended up buying the game and I'm loving it. I love the feeling of cooperation I get running around killing stuff with other players and rezzing people.
    But, I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot sometimes when I do my personal story quests especially with my elementalist. I seem to get killed a lot especially when there are waves of bad guys. I dodge but dodging only seems to do so much when there are that many things attacking me. Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe I'm just not utilizing some awesome CC ability because I didn't realize it was awesome.
    Firstly, what weapons/skills are you using? And what level you are?

As Elementalist you really need to learn to kite. Also, having atleast some Vitality and Toughnees on your gear helps alot.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

I probably do need to dodge more and I guess kite more. I think I've gotten too used to other MMO's where you don't really have to move around much. As for weapons I've been using a staff mostly and I focus on fire and water. I'm level 16 so not super far in, just getting my butt kicked anyway.
    Sweet Batpony avatar by Kairaven.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Banned

Ele is tough to solo through personal story after the first few quests [when things get a little tougher]. One thing that I have noticed is that, while quests scale to the number of players, they don't seem to scale equally. This means that having another player or two with you eases the burden.
    *note* I found this out while running with a guildy while he was doing his personal story

It gets easier after you learn to dance through your attunements, and it gets even easier once you have some traits in place.
    My Ele is built as what I call a Boon Dancer. Attunement swaps [and certain skills within certain attunements], Cantrips, and crits all give me boons.
    Multiple stacks of Might, almost infinite Swiftness and Vigor, consistent Fury, reliable Protection and Regeneration, and on demand Stability.
    That build is a work in progress, but the higher he gets in levels the more fun he is to play and the more survivable he becomes.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

From my experience as a Mesmer - which is close enough to Elementalist, I suppose - a thing to remember is to choose your weapon sets well and swap them often, once you get the ability to do so in combat. When done right, it can double your options.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Banned

Ele's don't get a weapon swap. They swap atunements instead.
    I've played both, and they are very, very different professions. Not alike at all.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. Well, disregard what I just said, then.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

So i Just played around a bit with a ranger since I´m odd and dislike playing ranged classes I thought I build him up as a melee fighter, I really like sword and axe but there is one major downside, during the attack animations you are kind of locked in the animations, no dodging or strafing around sadly this is kind of a dealbreaker for me :-/

I already have a greatsword Guardian (which is awesome) so I wanted a weapon set that feels different so a greatsword ranger is not really an option.

So I guess I try thief next as a twink ^^

15. - Top - End - #435

ClericGuy

Thief is one of the most appreciated professions, as far as gameplay goes. It's the most similar profession to GW1, since it essentially has an energy bar.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Hrm. I'm trying to complete Metrica Province, but two of the Points of Interest are inside an Inquest compound swarming with frequently respawning mobs. This is going to be tough...

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

For whenever I get the game, how does "trade three gold for a character slot" work? Do I trade for the gems required for the slot (if so, how many are required, so I know I'm not getting a bad deal?), or do I buy it directly?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #438
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just have one thing to say..

I hate griffons

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    For whenever I get the game, how does "trade three gold for a character slot" work? Do I trade for the gems required for the slot (if so, how many are required, so I know I'm not getting a bad deal?), or do I buy it directly?
    the price has changed to 1 silver equals 2 gems, and it requires 800 gems.
    So it currently requires 4 gold, but, that it decently plausible, if you have two or three characters, and are selling things on the trading post(low level, 1-15 crafting materials are the best profit currently, except for grafting materials for jewlcrafting and cooking, which are much harder to sell on the trading post)
    One nice thing about the trading post is that you usually get your profit instantly, and just need to head to a trading post npc to pick it up.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-08 at 02:37 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

20. - Top - End - #440

Wait. I have lots of silver, no jewelcrafting. It's useless for me to sell it on the trading post?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

the raw jewl crafting materials aren't worth enough beyond their vender price to make a good profit, like most level 10+ crafting materials currently.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

22. - Top - End - #442

So I just stockpile them until silver's price rise as the game mature?

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

if you mean silver the item, then, aye, probably.
    Meow(Steam page)

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    the price has changed to 1 silver equals 2 gems, and it requires 800 gems.
    Trading a single silver doesn't give you a very good deal due to rounding, try trading at least 10, preferably a gold. Looking at it right now, a gold can be traded for about 380 gems.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

+_+ Fiery Greatsword is AWESOME!

Picked one up during an event. Hot DIGGITY, I can't wait till I hit 30!

26. - Top - End - #446

Any Norn here who have had several runs and joined different order between the Vigil, the Priory of the Whisperers?

Any different gameplay and quests?

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    +_+ Fiery Greatsword is AWESOME!

Picked one up during an event. Hot DIGGITY, I can't wait till I hit 30!
    As in... flaming particle effects or...?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Any Norn here who have had several runs and joined different order between the Vigil, the Priory of the Whisperers?

Any different gameplay and quests?
    My guess is the areas your quests are in are different. Priory seems to be at the snowy places, the others don't seem to have bases there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    As in... flaming particle effects or...?
    Elementalist elite skill. Elementalists have "Conjuration" skills which conjure weapons that they and an ally can use - Conjure Flame conjures a flaming throwing axe, COnjure Ice conjures an ice bow, etc. The Fiery Greatsword is the elite version, and it's awesome.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

Questlines are also different. My Ranger main is with the Priory and she's mostly had to do quests that involve exploring tombs and finding artifacts. I'd imagine Vigil ones are more directly focused on fighting dragon servants while Order ones would be more infiltrate-y.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-09-09 at 07:06 AM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show