New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

I really need to stop messing around with alts and focus on my main character. I've spent far too long on the low-levels.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Have you actually played with the Air at all, or are you basing it's usefulness off of what your perceived [lack of] usefulness from Rage?
    I ask because I absolutely LOVE Superior Air. But then again, I run around with about 50% crit rate, and almost always have Fury raising that to about 70%, so I actually see more crits than regular hits.
    I use main hand Battle, off hand Air.
    Not yet. I heard it procs like crazy though. This is for Longbow though. I've got around 41% Crit right now (stat options at level 80 are rather difficult to acquire actually), pre-buffs. I'm working on getting it higher though.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

So I just got the game a week ago and have been having a blast. Tend to group up with 1 friend half the time and do hearts and events.

I seem to have issues with my mesmer in comparison to the other classes I've played. Are there any good guides to playing them in PvE? I feel like I'm vastly under-performing in comparison to my warrior and engineer. Its felt vastly under their AE and single target damage (though I guess it could just be back-loaded with the shatters) and my engineer seems much better at support. My play has all be under lvl 25 so far. I'm not saying the class is broken, rather I'm doing a poor job playing one and would like to do better.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

I find that Sword+Pistol does a large amount of damage. At level 60 with 20 Domination, 20 Duelist and 10 Illusions, I feel like I'm doing a fair amount of damage. The Asura aoe condition abilties in combination with the Signet that increases condition damage. The trait that makes illusion crits to cause bleeding also works well with it (especially since Phantasmal Duelist hits 8 times each).

I find that the Shatter skills aren't that good. I just use them to finish off low hp junk mobs or if the illusions would die to aoe anyways.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

@Penguinizer:
    Thanks, I upgraded my sword and pistol to decent quality and gave it another whirl and it performed better than last time (have a greatsword as my other weapon set). Tell me if this strategy seems right to you and where I could improve it (obviously stuff changes due to what happens in the fight):

Against single-target stuff that I'm having to kite: Phantasmal Duelist, Magic Bullet, swap to greatsword, Phantasmal Berserker, Mind Stab, (not sure if I should use mirror blade here as it creates a clone that I think will knock off one of my phantasms later), let Spatial Surge auto-attack, switch back to sword and pistol, Phantasmal Duelist, Magic Bullet.

Against multi-target stuff that I can be in close for: Mirror Blade, Phantasmal Berserker, switch to sword and pistol, Phantasmal Duelist, Blurred Frenzy, Magic Bullet, Mind Slash auto-attack.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Hey all, having heard a lot of good things about Guild Wars 2 from many, many friends and with more keys been released I decided to buy it up. Whilst it patches I'm looking through the races and classes and am pretty settled on a Norn Necromancer, however I have never played guild wars before so looking for any advice at all on the game for a completely new player.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

The game is pretty straightforward. Unlike other RPGs you don't usually need to talk to NPCs to start and end quests - but do talk to them if they're calling you.

You have up to 10 skills; the most important one you have to learn now is the heal (6). Always remember to use it, there is nobody who can heal you. The other main thing you will need to learn soon is to move constantly as you can attack on the move, and to dodge often. When you dodge, you're invulnerable for a split second; you can dodge twice in a row and then your dodge energy has to refill. Good dodging is key to good playing.

Quests are mainly of three types: the primary quests, which are your storyline and are always marked by a green star on your map; hearts, which are the bread-and-butter quests that make you interact with the world; and events, which are outlined in orange on your map and are quite varied from gathering missions to boss fights. Hearts are always there, events come and go depending on what is happening in the world. Often, doing an event in a heart area will let you do both at the same time.

More tips: do everything that crosses your mind, because it's likely you'll get XP for it. gathering materials does (do it regardless, you'll want to pick up crafting at some point), reviving players and NPCs does, exploring new parts of the map does, of course hearts and events have an XP prize when you complete it.

This game is not goal-focused; in the opinion of many people, it is the most fun when you're running around with only a vague idea of what you want to do next - and get sidetracked by stuff on the way. If you're striving for the maximum level possible the earliest possible, you might be disappointed. Some people were.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post

You have up to 10 skills
    Not actually true - depending on your profession you can range from having 17 to having over 40 available at any one time.

And you should be keeping all of them in mind when deciding what to do.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #489
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Not actually true - depending on your profession you can range from having 17 to having over 40 available at any one time.

To shed some light on this as it was related to a newbie's question, you have weapon skills that are 1-5 on the hotbar and then healing/utility that are 6-10. "Most" classes get 2 weapon sets they can switch between in combat (though you have many more combinations than 2 you can setup out of combat). Some classes such as the elementalist and engineer can switch out their weapon set to other things such as flamethrowers or fire/water/earth/air attunements.

As you mentioned necro I'll go with my little newbie necro as an example:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm using a staff as my main weapon then 2 daggers as my alternate. I have 2 pets out as well. Now most of the time stuff will die in 5 seconds but lets say I'm fighting something with a fair bit of health like an ogre. I'll have my staff out first and it has the ability to place "marks" on the ground which are basically cursed traps. Then I pull the enemy into them setting them all off and he's poisoned, bleeding, slowed, hurt, and feared. Fear breaks and he charges at me. Now I can just stay at ranged, or I can let him close then go to work with my daggers.

I decide to stab him some and toss on more conditions. I start to lose the exchange because its a fricken ogre so I backflip away and use one of the dagger abilities to immobilize him. I then use another to drain his life and replace my own. I flip back to staff and drop down some more marks right on top of him and then a second ogre charges from nowhere and clobbers me, knocking me down to a quarter health.

For some classes things would be looking grim but I'm a necromancer. I activate my death shroud and my form shifts to shadowy. My health bar is replaced by a life force bar I have been building with my dagger attacks and previous kills. I gain 4 different buttons to press as my life force begins ticking down on its own and disappearing due to 2 ogres wailing on me. I active the last ability in the set to have it drain their health and convert it to life force, extending the time in the form for as long as I have life force I cannot take further damage. I kill the 2 ogres as I run out of life force and my health returns to the low state it was when I entered the form.
    Last edited by illyrus; 2012-09-10 at 08:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post

I think 41 is the actual maximum with an elementalist 5 slots * 4 attunement + 4 conjure skills * 5 slotskills + heal skill

The lowest amount of skills available would most likely be an engineer taking only elixier stuff and the supply drop elite with a total of 14 skills (even with the f1 to f4s ^^)

11. - Top - End - #491

ClericGuy

The *lowest* amount of skills available, in theory, is 1. Create a new char, drop your weapon in the tutorial, and you are left with just your heal.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

True

Though I meant potentially played builds with everything they will have available to them ^^

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    The *lowest* amount of skills available, in theory, is 1. Create a new char, drop your weapon in the tutorial, and you are left with just your heal.
    Hmmm sounds like an interesting challenge for an ultra-pacifist char. Rely on your friends to do everything for you. Maybe try out the claim that 400 levels in 8 crafting disciplines does, in fact, grant you 80 levels of experience.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

From what I´ve seen with the item discovery xp, I don´t think all 8 professions are even needed ^^

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

Something I've been wondering since I reached level 25; does reaching 25 unlock...something?, I ask because I got an npc message congratulating me on reaching level 25, which seemed like a bit of a random level to have a message like that at.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Hmmm sounds like an interesting challenge for an ultra-pacifist char. Rely on your friends to do everything for you. Maybe try out the claim that 400 levels in 8 crafting disciplines does, in fact, grant you 80 levels of experience.
    A Necromancer can at least still do damage with just his heal.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #497

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    From what I understand, the first person to hit 80 did it through crafting. He had his guild funneling him materials.

Something I've been wondering since I reached level 25; does reaching 25 unlock...something?, I ask because I got an npc message congratulating me on reaching level 25, which seemed like a bit of a random level to have a message like that at.
    So far as I know, 25 doesn't unlock anything. I don't recall getting a letter like that then, but next time I'm on I'll check through my archives.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    25 is a break point for region levels. Starters zones are usually 1-15, secondary zones are 15-25, etc. I don't remember getting one of those, but it was probably a letter inviting you to go to the next area.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

ah, that would explain it, I hadn't thought of the zone level range thingy as I had leveled while gathering.
    Does make sense if new zones open at 25 though.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

20. - Top - End - #500

ClericGuy

So, let's get something going. We need to know the percentage of euros/americans/whatever else to schedule an event. Can everyone post where they're coming from?

<- Euro

21. - Top - End - #501
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

US Central time here.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say, the reward for 100% completion of Metrica Province was far better than I'd thought it would be. 10 silver, 50 leather squares, a good staff and good shoes? Yes please.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

You get a Reward for finishing maps? i didn't know that time for some back tracking me thinks,

Oh and Euro GMT.

24. - Top - End - #504

Quote Originally Posted by maratek View Post
    You get a Reward for finishing maps? i didn't know that time for some back tracking me thinks,

Oh and Euro GMT.
    I think the rewards scale to your level. So I'm holding off on 100% for each region until I'm 80.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

They don't scale.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Banned

NA here.
    Once Guesting gets implemented I'll head over there once in a while. I have a high school friend on TC that I was planning on visiting once in a while anyway.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I have to say, the reward for 100% completion of Metrica Province was far better than I'd thought it would be. 10 silver, 50 leather squares, a good staff and good shoes? Yes please.
    honestly sounds better then the reward for snowden drifts(a mace, three transmutation stones and 40 wool)

also; after watching the most recent yogscast guildwars video, where they do the final dragon dungeon, it made me wonder; do you think when they add more dragons, that they will let us kill at least one of them ourselves?, rather then having to wait for dmpcs to do the job for us.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-09-12 at 12:36 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Just hit level 80 with my Warrior a few minutes ago. Guess it's time to start figuring out what build and gear and appearance I want, and working towards that.

Or just starting my Elementalist. Those look fun.

Also, I'm still not sure what the pros/cons of having one character have all of your crafting professions are, versus having them spread across multiple characters. Anyone have some insight on why you would want to do one or the other?

29. - Top - End - #509

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    honestly sounds better then the reward for snowden drifts(a mace, three transmutation stones and 40 wool)

also; after watching the most recent yogscast guildwars video, where they do the final dragon dungeon, it made me wonder; do you think when they add more dragons, that they will let us kill at least one of them ourselves?, rather then having to wait for dmpcs to do the job for us.
    There is a reason why I think that the worst part of GW2 is the storyline! But I bet we'll have a fair fight with a dragon once we hit L100.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

It depends what you mean by "ourselves". There are a couple of world events that involve players vs. dragons.