New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

So, I'm leaning towards Darkhaven since that's where Gamebreaker is at. Lore said he wanted to get on there, but I'm not sure if he ever did.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

For anyone still looking to try out the game, there's a beta key giveaway here.

Also, Asura and Sylvari playable in the next beta event.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the subject of performance issues, I went from the game being unplayable in the first BWE to running at a solid 60 FPS on all max settings in the last stress test. My machine is almost exactly a year old now, so make of that what you will.
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

4. - Top - End - #34

So I hear beta weekend starts Friday at noon! I'm going to be on Darkhaven until I can confirm where Lore will be. Hope to see some peeps online!
    My games:

5. - Top - End - #35

So hey, I've got this error that's been popping up since last night when I launch the client -- I know the beta's not up yet, and that might be the issue, but it's saying there's no serial (ie, beta key) registered to my account, and I know I got one with the mmorpg.com giveaway. Is anyone else having that issue?
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My crew is on Deldrimor. If Deldrimor still exists when the game launches I'm sure we'll probably stay there for simplicity's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    So, I'm leaning towards Darkhaven since that's where Gamebreaker is at. Lore said he wanted to get on there, but I'm not sure if he ever did.
    I can't see a Deldrimor on the list. Anyways, any other opinions on where GiTP should set up once the game goes live? As far as I understand the server choice only matters for WvWvW. Also, Darkhaven has been full a lot today, so bear that in mind.

As an aside, the Sylvari are awesome. It's always nice to see a well-done fantasy race that isn't part of the standard set (standard names optional).

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Darkhaven has been full a lot today, so bear that in mind.
    I haven't had any trouble with it so far, though I suppose I do like a more 'full' feel to my mmos. It's going to wind down quite a bit over the first month or two after release.
    My games:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    Minimum System Requirements

However, I would strongly encourage a very large and semi-empty hard disk, or possibly SSD, and a solid video card and CPU. The graphics settings will make a difference and this is one of those games where you want the graphics.
    Eh, I watched Towelliee's vids of his Child's play marathon run on YouTube. He had the graphics on the lowest possible settings, and when people kept begging him, he just turned them up to ultra. He said he could barely notice the difference, and while I definitely could, I still think that it's fine no matter what settings they're on.

Also, the game miiiight change my opinion, but personally, I hate the Sylvari. They seem to be basically elves that are more tree-huggy, less arrogant (read: lack the one actual elf flaw), and have a few token evil members thrown in (if the "shadow in the dream" isn't just external forces).

Anyway, my first character is probably going to be a Norn Warrior. Then a Human Elementalist girl. Then I'm going to try to get at least one Charr character, and Asura looks interesting. For Professions, I want to play a Rogue in addition to the two I mentioned, and probably a Mesmer (create clones and shoot laser beams!). Guardian also looks cool (lots of nice control on top of a warrior chassis). The other classes were... Ranger, Necromancer, and Engineer, correct? Not really interested in those, but if fate somehow grants me a sixth slot, I'll probably go with an Asura Engineer.

And I can't find Deldrimor on the server list.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-22 at 08:35 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #39

ClericGuy

Sylvari, yes. They are similar to elves. However, they feel a lot like plants, and sound british. Which is quite good considering they're the only race that doesn't have the american accent. They also are often clueless, which I find funny. That's a better flaw than being arrogant, in my opinion, and a bit more original. Their dream feels quite exotic too. It's not a bad race.

My worst race is probably the Norn... I can't stop thinking about them as plain Large size vikings. So cliché. On the other side, Charr win everything.

On professions, if you play enough you might be able to buy a sixth slot with in-game money, I hear. I've played around with most professions and talked to some devs, so I can say I'm quite experienced. The only class with a tanky feeling is Guardian - if you pick Warrior, prepare to dodge and switch to ranged from time to time. Melee is hard, and the armor doesn't do a whole lot. However, Warrior is crazy fun. As is the Ele, which I found very hard to master but with nigh infinite utility at just two button presses. Engineer is on the same boat. Thief gameplay is pretty unique in comparison with the other classes (a bit similar to GW1), and worth a try. The pet classes (N, M, R) are currently suffering a bit from the lackluster pet AI, but generally work fine and feel quite unique.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

My worst race is probably the Norn... I can't stop thinking about them as plain Large size vikings. So cliché. On the other side, Charr win everything.
    Norn are like WoW Orcs. Except they can actually look good. They have the whole hunting, fighting, and nature magic thing.

Also, they react the same way to one of their kind being a Necromancer, Engineer, or Elementalist as they do to them being a Warrior or Ranger. But that's unfortunately just generic MMO responses not taking into account class choice.
    On professions, if you play enough you might be able to buy a sixth slot with in-game money, I hear. I've played around with most professions and talked to some devs, so I can say I'm quite experienced. The only class with a tanky feeling is Guardian - if you pick Warrior, prepare to dodge and switch to ranged from time to time. Melee is hard, and the armor doesn't do a whole lot. However, Warrior is crazy fun. As is the Ele, which I found very hard to master but with nigh infinite utility at just two button presses. Engineer is on the same boat. Thief gameplay is pretty unique in comparison with the other classes (a bit similar to GW1), and worth a try. The pet classes (N, M, R) are currently suffering a bit from the lackluster pet AI, but generally work fine and feel quite unique.
    Yeah, I'm going to play my Warrior with longbow default, and either axe/shield or greatsword for when facing off against a Guardian or needing to get a monster from reaching the party's Elementalist when we don't have a Guardian to do that.

Also, at one point during PVP on one of Towelliee's vids, one of the opponents was a Charr Mesmer. There were so many clones, they never even hit him. I look forward to being on the other side of that.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-23 at 04:54 PM.
    My Steam profile

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I have one question concerning the races and wvw,

the humans seem to have an extremely powerful aoe root with Binding Roots from the Avatar of Melandru elite skill which seems by far the most powerful racial skill and quite a powerful elite skill for pvp combat.

Yes you can destroy the roots, but the problem is that during that timeframe the opposition in most cases has already won the upper hand (if the teams have roughly the same size). I witnessed multiple fights practically won by this skill alone ^^.

The thing is didn´t they say that racial abilities are turned off in pvp?
    Do they not count wvw as pvp? (which would be silly).

The thing is that I´m quite hesitant to play anything other then human if this skill practically becomes mandatory if you want to have a good cc in wvw smaller scale engagements.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-07-23 at 05:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Also, the game miiiight change my opinion, but personally, I hate the Sylvari. They seem to be basically elves that are more tree-huggy, less arrogant (read: lack the one actual elf flaw), and have a few token evil members thrown in (if the "shadow in the dream" isn't just external forces).
    They aren't really especially tree-huggy. Honestly the Norns are much more into the communion with nature thing. Sylvari draw heavily from Arthurian (and to a lesser extent, Celtic) mythology, they have very much a knightly ideal. Rather than being arrogant they're clueless and naive, coming from the fact that the race has only existed for 25 years.

I think all the GW2 races have an antagonist faction, the Sylvari have the "Nightmare Court" (read "unseelie court"). The Dream is a collective memory of sorts to the Sylvari, and the nightmare court hope to extinguish the virtue that was forced upon the race by outside forces by creating as much negative thought and emotion as possible.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post

the humans seem to have an extremely powerful aoe root with Binding Roots from the Avatar of Melandru elite skill which seems by far the most powerful racial skill and quite a powerful elite skill for pvp combat.

Yes you can destroy the roots, but the problem is that during that timeframe the opposition in most cases has already won the upper hand (if the teams have roughly the same size). I witnessed multiple fights practically won by this skill alone ^^.

The thing is that I´m quite hesitant to play anything other then human if this skill practically becomes mandatory if you want to have a good cc in wvw smaller scale engagements.
    Eh, meet elite with elite. Norn Bear Form's Roar and the Warrior's Elite Banner skill grant allies Might, reducing the time needed to take it down by quite a bit. Wolf Form's Howl ability grants Fury, but I'm not sure if that works on objects.

I believe ranged attacks would still be usable, and every class has ranged attacks. Although scepter/trident seems to be better than staff for Guardians wanting them. Can you use underwater weapons on land?
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope no underwater weapons on land ^^

Yes you can cut down the roots faster but in a zergy environment it pretty much means 6+ aoe fields are already stacked on you(and the other poor souls cought in it) which leads to a pretty fast case of dying especially since you can´t dodge out of the way.

I don´t have anything against powerful cc in fact I think gw2 could use a bit more of it, the problem is when people are forced to play one race because of it ^^
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-07-23 at 05:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Can you use underwater weapons on land?
    No. They can only go in the underwater weapon slot and that's only used once you dive.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I could've sworn the scepter was an aquatic weapon, but the wiki says it's land-based.

The staff is a mid-range weapon, which does give it the benefit of being ranged, but oddly enough, it only works horizontally, so it's useless against people shooting at you from above (a mistake Towelliee made. I kept thinking CAN'T YOU SEE THAT IT'S NOT WORKING!?, since he was trying that because he wasn't armed with a siege weapon when fighting a fort which enemy players were currently in). On the other hand, it dominates in pitched battles, so it's a great weapon to have after you break down the gate, where you can get up on the battlements and immediately lay down a Line of Warding, or a Ring of Warding if you have that and they're coming at you from both sides, then start spamming your basic AoE cone. It's also good for getting places, thanks to Symbol of Swiftness.
    My Steam profile

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Also, Darkhaven has been full a lot today, so bear that in mind.
    Darkhaven is Reddit territory, and that community had problems getting everyone onto that server. So probably not there.

Do they not count wvw as pvp?
    WvW's lumped in with PvE, as the traits, weapons/armour and skill balance carry over between the two.

sPvP and tPvP are separately balanced.
    What irks me is that sPvP (Hot-Join, Random Arena) is 8v8, whilst tPvP (Tournament, Pre-arranged teams) are 5v5. It'd definitely be nice to have some consistency between these two modes.

From what I can tell:

Guardians are nigh-unstoppable, 4v1's without breaking a sweat.

Warriors are extremely powerful, but a bit predictable with any sort of Eviscerate/Hundred blades build. Rifle builds may be the real danger to look out for.

Elementalist and Engineer are well-balanced, very versatile, and will go well in any team combination.

Rangers still have slight issues with pet AI, but are in otherwise good shape.

Necros again have teething issues with minion AI, but it's not as impactful since they also have builds that don't use minions at all (High-bleed, high condition builds)

Mesmers have AI/Shatter issues, and there's also the gripe about clones doing no damage and illusions generally being too squishy. Overall the class is playable, and you might even see a few good ones in tournaments, but could use a lot of changes, as it is one of the less-developed classes.

Thieves have a few high-damage builds, and great mobility, but are otherwise lacking in other areas. It'll just be a matter of understanding the 2-3 most used thief builds, in order to lock them down (That is, unless ArenaNet has some changes in mind for it at release).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post
    WvW's lumped in with PvE, as the traits, weapons/armour and skill balance carry over between the two.
    I think WvW automatically levels you to +30 or something, since when I watched Towelliee, he definitely had all his skill slots unlocked in WvW (although I don't think he got any new skills) as well as more HP. But equipment, XP, and skills are all kept.
    It might just be a matter of skill. A good thief or warrior could probably to take him down.
    Warriors are extremely powerful, but a bit predictable with any sort of Eviscerate/Hundred blades build. Rifle builds may be the real danger to look out for.
    I'm still not sure whether to go for bow or rifle. It's pretty much a matter of AoE vs Single Target. It might depend on my melee weapon setup, as a greatsword has some pretty good AoE power, and axe/shield is probably better against single opponent.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-24 at 04:46 PM.
    My Steam profile

19. - Top - End - #49

ClericGuy

First of all, AoE abilities have a target cap. I don't know what it is, but I saw there was on. Could be anywhere from 4 to 7. If there are more than that number of enemies in your AoE, some will not suffer the effects.

Second: skill matters a lot in WvW. I know of people beating forces 2x their size, with coordination.

Third: WvW is PvP but with your PvE character. This means your traits, your unlocked utilities, your equipment. Including racial stuff (which I believe will be balanced in the end). Your character is just sidekicked to max level, but is not given any ability that he wouldn't ordinarily have - if he was under level 30, he does not get an elite skill for example.

You saw in action a particularly good Guardian against four not-so-good players. Guardians are very strong, yes, but not that strong. Maybe the guardian player was an Alpha tester or Dev in disguise, I bet they have much more experience than the beta weekend players.

About the warrior, I loved how Axe/Mace allowed me to stack 8 vulnerabilities before Eviscerating for big domage. Mace also gives a nice control #5, I think.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I think that, if we do start crowding on one server and form a guild, then use this thread to discuss tactics like keeping Guardians to protect the squishy casters, we could be really good in WvW.
    My Steam profile

21. - Top - End - #51

Darkhaven is Reddit territory, and that community had problems getting everyone onto that server. So probably not there.
    Yeah, that seems like a good reason to set up elsewhere.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that seems like a good reason to set up elsewhere.
    It's probably best to pick a world that has currently low population. Then we can all go there and invite our friends with not much chance of anything going wrong.
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #53

ClericGuy

Well, I'm already going to WvW with [ZoS]. Can't remember what server they decided to stay on, but you can be sure it'll be a fairly strong WvW server.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

You saw in action a particularly good Guardian against four not-so-good players. Guardians are very strong, yes, but not that strong. Maybe the guardian player was an Alpha tester or Dev in disguise, I bet they have much more experience than the beta weekend players.
    Well I meant it as a good thing, they can 1v4 and hold their ground for ages, not necessarily kill them all. Not saying they're overpowered, just that currently not running one in a team currently is rather short-sighted.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hi Mucco, thanks for providing the link for minimum system requirements. This is the main thing which everyone wants desperately. I was also tired of playing the beta version, but its a sigh of relief that the game is going to be released next month.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

just preordered :)

Do servers from those that did Beta carry over to live, or will they be cleared and reset?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Servers will be reset and everyone starts completely new, the server names from the beta remain though

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Servers will be reset and everyone starts completely new, the server names from the beta remain though
    I figured everyone would start new, but that means if I have a friend in beta on X and another on Y, they will still both be on different servers?

Is there a GitPG 'server'? We are by far the coolest kids playing the game, so if there was, it would be the cool server ;)

Is there a way to reserve in game names before launch? I did not see it on their web site, but its common in some games to allow that.

Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

You also have to chose your server anew.

Yes there is a way to reserve a name beforehand, you can "connect" your gw1 account with the gw2 account and reserve a (maybe more?) of your gw1 character names for gw2.

The other option is the headstart, which starts at the 25th for certain preorders where you can reserve your name too and then play directly ^^
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-07-25 at 01:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    Is there a GitPG 'server'? We are by far the coolest kids playing the game, so if there was, it would be the cool server ;)
    We really should pick a server. Probably the least populated beta server, because people will naturally go back to their old ones if they have guilds there.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-25 at 01:13 PM.
    My Steam profile