New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #601
    Banned

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Proof That Rewards Don't Scale:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, that's proof that they do indeed scale.
    25k xp, 10s 2c, and a level 14 weapon is certainly not what you'd get if you completed a zone at level 5. Want to test it? Roll a new toon and get 100% completion in your hub city.
    So they absolutely do scale. They just don't scale as well as you'd like.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-09-16 at 01:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    25k xp, 10s 2c, and a level 14 weapon is certainly not what you'd get if you completed a zone at level 5. Want to test it? Roll a new toon and get 100% completion in your hub city.
    There is no Lvl 5 zones. Starting zones are all 1-15

3. - Top - End - #603
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    There is no Lvl 5 zones. Starting zones are all 1-15
    ...and if you complete your starter hub city at level two, you certainly aren't getting over twenty five thousand XP and over 10 silver for it.
    Notice that completion was for Metrica Province. Roll a new Asuran character and complete that zone before you leave it. Come back here and tell us what you got, because I can guarantee you that it won't be that much at level 15.
    So the rewards do scale. They just don't scale the included weapons/items appropriately.
    And why would they? Why would completing a level 1-15 zone grant a level 80 item? That doesn't make sense.
    We should be happy that the XP and monetary rewards scale and leave it at that.

The debate was whether or not the rewards scale. They do. Just not the ones that he wanted to scale.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-09-16 at 03:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

So you call getting two level 14 items, and 40 Jute ... scaling? That was Metrica Province... 1-15 area. Items don't scale, only Gold and XP apparently. 10 silver is nothing. I make that in ten minutes or less just killing stuff on the ground. 25k XP is also laughable, considering it's 252k per level 80 to level up. It took roughly three hours to finish Metrica Province over two days. I can run Citadel of Flame six times in that same time frame and earn ... I dunno, close to ten gold in the same time frame?

If your idea of scaling is "get a little bit more gold and XP" then we have very different definitions of scaling, because what I just got there was effectively worthless.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2012-09-16 at 03:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #605

...and if you complete your starter hub city at level two, you certainly aren't getting over twenty five thousand XP and over 10 silver for it.
    Started hub city? You mean, the capital? I just did it, and I was given 1 copper and a few conversion runes at lvl 40. Hardly scalable.

Notice that completion was for Metrica Province. Roll a new Asuran character and complete that zone before you leave it. Come back here and tell us what you got, because I can guarantee you that it won't be that much at level 15.
    Tell me. Is Metrica Province a Lvl 1-15 zone?

So the rewards do scale. They just don't scale the included weapons/items appropriately.
    And why would they? Why would completing a level 1-15 zone grant a level 80 item? That doesn't make sense.
    We should be happy that the XP and monetary rewards scale and leave it at that.

The debate was whether or not the rewards scale. They do. Just not the ones that he wanted to scale.
    The EXP always scales, no matter what. Always. That's a constant of this game.

However, the money reward doesn't in that case. 10s for a lvl 15 character is worth it. For a lvl 60? Not so much.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

It makes sense for it to not scale outside of XP. Otherwise that would encourage you to wait with completing regions until you hit level 80.

Random loot scales; story rewards and dungeon rewards don't either.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-09-16 at 06:03 PM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

wikiwikiwikiwiki

XP scales, rest doesn't.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

8. - Top - End - #608

But XP scales EVERYWHERE, so it's not like it's worth noticing.

FYI, starting levels material is worth its weight in gold on the Black Company, so don't diss the reward even if you are past using 40x threads of jute.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

So I got to level 76 this weekend. Raised LW to 400 and still have about 6g left. Now I need to find a good way to make money so I can make my level 80 exotics when I hit 80. Looking at the TP the mat cost is somewhere around 2g each (though I bought all the ancient bones I needed when they were super cheap at 20c each).

I cleared the Mount Maelstrom map and was pleasantly surprised by getting 2 exotics as the rewards for it. They were ****ty of course but they sold for 50s each which was nice. I assume people are making slight profit by buying up cheap exotics and salvaging but I figured I wouldn't gamble and take the sure money instead (since I'm gambling on any unid dyes I find ever since I got an Abyss dye and some other 1.5g one when I started).

There's also some weird thing in Mount Maelstrom where getting into the Volcano insta downs you. I got through by using my teleport once I was down and then ressing but otherwise I couldn't figure out how to actually get through that area. Not sure if its a bug or some sort of intended block but any way into the volcano at a certain point just kills you instantly. I was fighting elementals and couldn't figure out how I insta died. Combat log doesn't even show anything.

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I cleared the Mount Maelstrom map...
    Lucky you. The Infinity Coil skill point has been broken for days on Tarnished Coast.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Barbarian in the Playground

FYI, starting levels material is worth its weight in gold on the Black Company, so don't diss the reward even if you are past using 40x threads of jute.
    Are we still arguing about this? I don't really care if anyone else is convinced or not by now, just play the game like you want to.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. At quite an expense (since I had to buy all the jute), I managed to get my Tailoring up to 50. That's a start, I guess.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by JSSheridan View Post
    Are we still arguing about this? I don't really care if anyone else is convinced or not by now, just play the game like you want to.
    Just wanted make my point against Shadow's snarky comment earlier in the thread. No worries

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, gold is functionally useless to me. There are only three things of use at level 80, once you've got full Exotic armor (which is 25g tops, less if you're smart on the Trading Post).

1) Skill Points -- Crafting Legendary Weaponry (which incidentally, the Legendary Shortbow is straight out of My Little Pony and shoots rainbows, and the Longbow is a bunch of vines that shoots flowers as the special particle effect).

2) Dungeon Tokens

3) Karma

The latter two are used to get Exotic Armor with the stats you might actually want on some classes. Ranger does not have this problem, so I really have no use for anything at this point really... Just completing the entire world map for now and then I'll probably craft a legendary weapon and switch characters after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Lucky you. The Infinity Coil skill point has been broken for days on Tarnished Coast.
    Is the golem not spawning/activating/flagging as an enemy? Or is the clickable just not working (i.e. his graphic is glitched and he isn't where the game shows him to be)?

CoE Explore Mode is actually a rather profitable farm, but nobody's been able to get inside for days now.

15. - Top - End - #615

Sadly, gold is functionally useless to me. There are only three things of use at level 80, once you've got full Exotic armor (which is 25g tops, less if you're smart on the Trading Post).

1) Skill Points -- Crafting Legendary Weaponry (which incidentally, the Legendary Shortbow is straight out of My Little Pony and shoots rainbows, and the Longbow is a bunch of vines that shoots flowers as the special particle effect).

2) Dungeon Tokens

3) Karma

The latter two are used to get Exotic Armor with the stats you might actually want on some classes. Ranger does not have this problem, so I really have no use for anything at this point really... Just completing the entire world map for now and then I'll probably craft a legendary weapon and switch characters after that.
    I don't know for Dungeon tokens, but aren't Karma and XP (which keeps giving skill points as you level up above 80) scale for any events? You could potentially roam the earth in search of events

16. - Top - End - #616

Quick question for those of you who are technically inclined, I saw a few reviews of this game, and it looks stellar, but it raises a concern for me and my (not optimized for gaming) laptop. So I took a quick look at the system requirements, and to my joy it seems I meet all of them, save the video card. I have no idea what the text on video card requirements actually means, and seeing as this is a recent game that looks impressive on higher settings (I'm assuming it'll look less impressive for me, assuming I can run it) I wanted to be clear if I can run it before buying it, or if I should simply wait until after I upgrade laptops. My card is listed as "mobile intel 4 series express chipset family" and if you'd need more information then that to help me I'd be happy to provide it, but lack the knowledge to locate it, so instructions would be appreciated.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

Since you mentioned Legendary weapons, gold is needed for that. You need 100 Icy Runestones which cost 1g each from a vendor after you finish the Frost Dragon/Worm event.

Not to mention farming all the items for a Legendary without buying them is going to take FAR longer than just farming gold would, I imagine.

18. - Top - End - #618

I was wondering something.

I have received many special coins. It says it's used to forge some items or something. Anybody knows where to use them?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

I was wondering something.

I have received many special coins. It says it's used to forge some items or something. Anybody knows where to use them?
    There are numerous recipes that use Mystic Coins using the Mystic Forge. They're used for mystic weapons (exotics) and components for Legendaries. I imagine they're probably used for other recipes too. The wiki page has some of them included I believe.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    Quick question for those of you who are technically inclined, I saw a few reviews of this game, and it looks stellar, but it raises a concern for me and my (not optimized for gaming) laptop. So I took a quick look at the system requirements, and to my joy it seems I meet all of them, save the video card. I have no idea what the text on video card requirements actually means, and seeing as this is a recent game that looks impressive on higher settings (I'm assuming it'll look less impressive for me, assuming I can run it) I wanted to be clear if I can run it before buying it, or if I should simply wait until after I upgrade laptops. My card is listed as "mobile intel 4 series express chipset family" and if you'd need more information then that to help me I'd be happy to provide it, but lack the knowledge to locate it, so instructions would be appreciated.
    The game seems to mainly need the video card, as I found out when i put it on my laptop, which can only get about 4fps despite exceeding everythign other then the video card.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

21. - Top - End - #621
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    Quick question for those of you who are technically inclined, I saw a few reviews of this game, and it looks stellar, but it raises a concern for me and my (not optimized for gaming) laptop.
    I did some reading on what you listed and some video card performance reports for GW2. It looks like the game would run poorly on your machine (lowest settings and even then not good fps values) so I'd suggest you wait if you're getting a better machine soonish.
    ---

Did my first run through of AC with the engineer with originally 4 people who had never done a dungeon before, later gained a fifth. Many downs, many deaths. The 5th person was a guardian and knew what they were about though they died a couple of times too. Spoke to them after the dungeon was over a bit about how they were able to do such a good job staying alive next to bosses. Took that info as well as a post on how armor works for DR purposes and decided to run with it.

I rebuilt my Mesmer as a "tank" and leveled up to 30 to run AC and see the difference. Was the only one who had no deaths for the entire run and was "tanking" the bosses without much issue. Probably not much of an accomplishment to most of the veteran GW2 players but it made me feel good to take what had been my most fragile character and turn them into my most survivable character.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know for Dungeon tokens, but aren't Karma and XP (which keeps giving skill points as you level up above 80) scale for any events? You could potentially roam the earth in search of events
    Actually, event scaling isn't all that great either. I think completing one of the Cathedral events awards some 1000-1400 karma (e.g. Cathedral of Melandru, in Cursed Shore), while completing an event in the lower level zones only gives me around 200 karma. I don't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head, but there is a bit of scaling involved.

Regarding XP, the fastest rate of return on XP is completing dungeons, hands down. I get minimum one level per run of Citadel of Flame. I hear Coil of Eternity and Honor of the Waves are even faster, but I haven't devoted nearly as much time farming those to have any opinion on them yet.

I am currently completing the map to get enough skill points to craft my legendary weapons, yes.

Since you mentioned Legendary weapons, gold is needed for that. You need 100 Icy Runestones which cost 1g each from a vendor after you finish the Frost Dragon/Worm event.

Not to mention farming all the items for a Legendary without buying them is going to take FAR longer than just farming gold would, I imagine.
    Exactly, by the time I get all the other items for the Legendary, I will have made enough gold to afford any other parts that I would need.

There are numerous recipes that use Mystic Coins using the Mystic Forge. They're used for mystic weapons (exotics) and components for Legendaries. I imagine they're probably used for other recipes too. The wiki page has some of them included I believe.
    I don't believe Mystic Coins are used in crafting Legendary weapons, but I haven't looked too in-depth into these. I know they're not directly used to make them (a la the Wiki), but maybe they're used to craft the Gifts or other base components.

23. - Top - End - #623

According to this you will need 250 Mystic Coins to make something that goes into it.

>> Personally, I don't think Ill ever have the patience to do all that.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Banned

Just wanted make my point against Shadow's snarky comment earlier in the thread. No worries
    The comment wasn't snarky. The comment was factual. If they did not scale, then you'd get the exact same reward at level 2 as you do at level 80, which is obviously not the case.
    As to the snarkyness: I can't control how you interpret what I write. I can only control what I write.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-09-17 at 05:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #625

Is the golem not spawning/activating/flagging as an enemy? Or is the clickable just not working (i.e. his graphic is glitched and he isn't where the game shows him to be)?
    Seems like the golem's stuck underground. The fist icon is there and I can read its says, but I can't see or hear it.

26. - Top - End - #626

Quote Originally Posted by illyrus View Post
    I did some reading on what you listed and some video card performance reports for GW2. It looks like the game would run poorly on your machine (lowest settings and even then not good fps values) so I'd suggest you wait if you're getting a better machine soonish.
    Thanks for the tip, I was planning on getting a new computer, and now I have more motivation to do so, will likely have it within a month or two.

27. - Top - End - #627

Does anyone have a list of who's where worked out? Sorry, I haven't really been following the thread. I ended up on Ehmry Bay and I was wondering if anyone else was there with me.

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the thread so a PM would also work <3
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2012-09-17 at 08:26 PM.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

28. - Top - End - #628

The comment wasn't snarky. The comment was factual. If they did not scale, then you'd get the exact same reward at level 2 as you do at level 80, which is obviously not the case.
    As to the snarkyness: I can't control how you interpret what I write. I can only control what I write.
    "It doesn't scale as much as you'd like"? That's snarky dude.

Let it go

29. - Top - End - #629
    Banned

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-09-22 at 05:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

Just ordered GW2 online, should be here by the weekend. In the meantime I must ask, how long does it take to get to level 30 (On average)? I want to play a Minion Master Charr and a Flesh Golem will help immensely with that so I'm interested in knowing how long I have to grind with my friend (Who will be rolling a Charr Warrior until I can meet up with his Norn Guardian and we can wreck face).
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░