New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Are your accessories and weapons exotic level too? Also, some things you can do on level 80:

1. World completion - explore all the areas fully! I know that's what I'm doing.
    2. Do all the dungeons to see their plotline and get armor pieces you like.
    3. Finish your storyline.
    4. Make a legendary weapon (I know you said you're discouraged from doing it, but it's something).
    5. Organized PvP.
    6. World vs World PvP (I find it much more fun than the above).
    7. Work towards buying more upgrades for your guild and help out your guild members.

And yeah, alting is always a valid option. Just like GW1, this game encourages it.
    I think its more that there is very little extra character improvement to go on once you get your exotic gear. I realize that is the design philosophy (GW1 was like that too) but perhaps its not the type of endgame I like. Its compounded by the fact that a lot of the things to work for (skins) don't really appeal to me, at least on my thief character where the best looking skin to me is available for maybe 2-3g from a vendor.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I've recommended the game to numerous people, but always with the disclaimer that its not a long term game for hardcore MMOers. Its been stated numerous times that the game is meant to be that way, and Devs are actively trying to do that.

It will not replace other MMOs for people that play 30+ hours a week at elite levels. They will get bored. But, I think its still a ton of entertainment for $60. For those type of players all I can say is mix it into your current game. Play GW2 1 or 2 nights a week as a break from your other game to prevent burnout.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I think its more that there is very little extra character improvement to go on once you get your exotic gear. I realize that is the design philosophy (GW1 was like that too) but perhaps its not the type of endgame I like. Its compounded by the fact that a lot of the things to work for (skins) don't really appeal to me, at least on my thief character where the best looking skin to me is available for maybe 2-3g from a vendor.
    Go for titles. Those are still "character improvement" as they are displayed on your character.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    I've recommended the game to numerous people, but always with the disclaimer that its not a long term game for hardcore MMOers. Its been stated numerous times that the game is meant to be that way, and Devs are actively trying to do that.

It will not replace other MMOs for people that play 30+ hours a week at elite levels. They will get bored. But, I think its still a ton of entertainment for $60. For those type of players all I can say is mix it into your current game. Play GW2 1 or 2 nights a week as a break from your other game to prevent burnout.
    I agree with this. I also agree the game, regardless of the endgame aspect I don't particularly like, is well worth the $60. I got more than enough gametime out of it and that was with mainly one character. Playing another set of characters would add even more time.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Well that depends, are you on Eredon Terrace? And do you have steam (Purely for convenience, not a necessity).
    You can run dungeons cross-server. Yes, I have Steam, or we could just hop on Mumble if you'd prefer that. Could probably get Sirro/Faulty/Dog to help too.

So after hitting 80 and crafting an exotic set I'm starting to wonder what to actually work towards in the game. I bought the order of the Whispers chest piece for my female thief and transmuted it onto my Carrion exotic coat. So I have the best armor available and I have a look I like. I'm sitting at around 8g so I can buy the best weapons if I wanted to as well and considering I'm mainly running pistol/dagger the skin on the weapons is almost irrelevant since both weapons are pretty tiny to begin with (doesn't help I choose the smallest size for the character too).

That alone is one of the main things that dissuaded me from even thinking about working on a Legendary weapon since daggers and pistols are hard to see regardless. Maybe if the Legendary pistol shot cool looking projectiles or something it'd be worth it. Of course the actual Legendary grind seems a little crazy at the roughly 1 million karma and 300-500g requirement anyway. I don't imagine I'd stay interested long enough to get there.

So is it basically just time to try an alt instead? I don't really see what else I can do with my thief at the moment and its somewhat bad for my motivation to keep playing (having Borderlands 2 sitting on my comp isn't helping that either of course :P)
    You know, it's surprisingly difficult to find a decent looking pair of pants for my Ranger.

I can look into what the particle effect is for the legendary pistol. I know for a fact that the Longbow shoots flowers, and has a viney-type model (thinner than the Sylvari stuff), and the Shortbow is straight out of My Little Pony, shoots rainbows, and is vaguely pink.

I'm actually planning on crafting one or both of the greatswords (ultimate goal is crafting Eternity, so I'll need over a million karma). I suppose at some point in the future, I'll ask you guys for some help putting together all the gifts and such, but since most of you guys aren't level 80 yet, I figure I'd just help you guys get to level 80 first, before I start shilling for stuff.

As for endgame, yeah there's relatively little to do at level 80 right now, other than complete the world and then go play World vs. World. I suppose you could try to go for all the achievements and stuff, and most of them are tracked cross-alt. I was thinking of rolling a Mesmer to play on the side with my friend. We could level together if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    My handle is Morty.4721. I'm in the GiantITP guild, but I'm not sure if you are.
    Polytonic.4836 if I remember correctly. You'll need to tell me which tier (by name, e.g. "Wool" or "Linen") you need. Partially because I'm nowhere near a bank to go and check, and partially because I'm lazy.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post

Polytonic.4836 if I remember correctly. You'll need to tell me which tier (by name, e.g. "Wool" or "Linen") you need. Partially because I'm nowhere near a bank to go and check, and partially because I'm lazy.
    I need Linen tier tailoring supplies. I also wouldn't mind some lowest-level cooking stuff for my Warrior.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-26 at 02:19 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

You can run dungeons cross-server. Yes, I have Steam, or we could just hop on Mumble if you'd prefer that. Could probably get Sirro/Faulty/Dog to help too.
    One of my friends refuses to go on Mumble from him having a hissy fit on it, so yes Steam will be necessary. Would you be available at 5:30?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

So we ran cm explorer mode #1 today

and I must say, I´m about done with dungeons in gw2, the trash packs are way way too powerful while the """bosses""" are well in comparison pretty easy really.

Really the whole notion of some random "separatist ruffian #67" having around 40k hp (while you have 8k) and being pretty much better in every conceivable way (abilities, immunity to cc, cds on abilities etc) then you the ""hero"" is just plain stupid and should have gone a long long time ago.

Level this guy up to 80 and he will solo the dragons, why isn´t he the hero and why can´t I play him?

I really wish Anet would have been bold enough to take this paradigm out to the trash can where it belongs, its extremely unheroic and just breaks any semblance of immersion.

Now don´t get me wrong, I don´t mind dying over and over in dungeons even a hundred times, but it should be at the boss battles, those guys where it makes sense that they are more powerful then you.

So we wiped our way through the trash chipping them away one after the other and finally arrived at the first boss, what dreaded super villain will he be, do we even have a small chance of killing him after the trash?

Yeah we killed him on the first go no problems, some downed players here and there but really ...BORING...

rinse repeat to the end.

Anet in my opinion has it completely backwards (as have many mmos before), the trash should be there to make you feel heroic and only should pose a real threat when they come in huge numbers (makes you feel even more heroic) or when they have prepared a cunning trap, they should never have more hitpoints, better abilities or be immune to almost anything you can do.

The bosses thats where the real fight should be and it better be a struggle tough as nails...

Anyway I´m kind of disappointed but end of rant I guess.

The wvw is still very fun
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-09-26 at 10:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Banned

What level were you when you ran CMem?
    They're balanced to be an extreme challenge for level 80 characters. Going in at level 45 to even 65 is going to be rough. Period.
    Sleep on it. And after learning the dungeon, and coordinating well with a well balanced party, they seem a lot less imposing, and they get a whole lot easier. In fact, they get easy enough that some people are claiming they're too easy.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Really the whole notion of some random "separatist ruffian #67" having around 40k hp (while you have 8k) and being pretty much better in every conceivable way (abilities, immunity to cc, cds on abilities etc) then you the ""hero"" is just plain stupid and should have gone a long long time ago.
    I don't recall explorable mode trash having the nigh immunity to CC conditions bosses/champions have. Is this something I'm misremembering or did a CM buff change things? Thought you could just blind/weakness your way to victory for most trash packs with a thief/necro.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Level this guy up to 80 and he will solo the dragons, why isn´t he the hero and why can´t I play him?
    It's a part of the MMO instanced dungeon convention (so the whole thing won't be stupidly easy) and doesn't actually reflect how things are in the game world.

I ran Twilight Armor in explorer mode with my semi-competent guild yesterday - my first dungeon run. And I must say, it wasn't so bad. Trash mobs were a challenge only when we accidentally pulled too many, and most bosses went down after the first try. People kept going down, obviously, but we only wiped fully once or twice, and the whole thing wasn't terribly long, only around 2 hours. It was better than vanilla WoW instances.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

I really find the "annoying trash" paradigm a stupid one. Who actually enjoys that? I agree with Emmerask that difficult boss fights are definitely the way to go. Fights that have some sort of dynamism to them rather than random trash. Even in games with solid agro mechanics and the standard tank/healer/dps trinity, high HP trash is generally just a pain in the ass. Dungeons in guild wars really do feel like Vanilla WoW dungeons or the earlier BC heroics (without the interesting bosses). Hell just increasing the boss fight dynamics would make me happier. Despite it being difficult the Lover's fight in AC is actually an interesting one. You need to use the environment and a solid strategy to beat it. Not a lot of the fights are like that.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Interesting. Ive noticed that my "Hero" is much smarter and better utilizes his movement in a random fashoin and skills at the right time that the "Separatist ruffian" stands little chance. My "Hero" typically also travels with 4 other "Heros" who help him out in a much better when the the "Separatist Ruffian Monk" helps him out. I feel a bit bad for them and their predictable ticks.

I really find the "annoying trash" paradigm a stupid one. Who actually enjoys that?
    While I do enjoy it, I typically only enjoy it for the first 30 min. Longer then that is meh. The main issue is there is no reason for it. In alot of other games the trash is to eat resources. Make you blow your long cool down (WoW) so that you have to wait 5 min getting ready for the boss (rare) or just do it without the cool down (typical). Or in the case of DDO, use up your spell points and action points, so you dont have as much for the boss. Trash has to be dealt with smartly or you will be oom for the whole boss.

In GW2 there are no resources you lose from what I can tell. Few skills have any real cool down compared to the trash fight length. And there are no resources to use up. Its one of the few time sinks in the game, and might be meant that way, since travel ect is such a minor time sink
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2012-09-27 at 08:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    While I do enjoy it, I typically only enjoy it for the first 30 min. Longer then that is meh. The main issue is there is no reason for it. In alot of other games the trash is to eat resources. Make you blow your long cool down (WoW) so that you have to wait 5 min getting ready for the boss (rare) or just do it without the cool down (typical). Or in the case of DDO, use up your spell points and action points, so you dont have as much for the boss. Trash has to be dealt with smartly or you will be oom for the whole boss.

In GW2 there are no resources you lose from what I can tell. Few skills have any real cool down compared to the trash fight length. And there are no resources to use up. Its one of the few time sinks in the game, and might be meant that way, since travel ect is such a minor time sink
    It does work well as a time sink. Dungeons are quite long for very minor benefit at the moment. Them "fixing" repeated runs through the same path and making the easy dungeons harder does seem to indicate they want to keep the time commitment here high. I'm not really sure WHY they want to do that though. Dungeons were decent money when you could speed run them easily. Orr DE's are significantly better from a money PoV though.

I can see they're trying to keep the longevity in the game. Its obvious from the price of T3 cultural armor or any of the level 80 exotic karma armors. It's not a bad thing but since the gear treadmill is so short (and easily finished if you craft) you end up losing those who are interested in more character progression. Now, considering they aren't subscription based, this may not necessarily be a bad thing for them. Those people bought the game and if they liked it, will probably buy expansions. They'll just stop playing in the meantime which means less server load. For those who don't mind insanely long grinds for aesthetic gear, that's present too in the form of legendaries and the various dungeon/karma/cultural sets.

Even with all that though, I'm not sure the point of having large, extra time sinks. Now that they've added severe diminishing returns to the dungeons, is there harm in letting people clear them quickly without a ton of annoying trash?

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

So, me and 4 other guys finally beat the Ascalonian Catacombs (Which gave a nice lump of XP and gold). However by the end of it our group guardian/elementalist both had all their armor broken and we just zerg rushed King Aedelberg spamming every ability we had before respawning at the waypoint to swarm him again. Are all dungeons this hard or only the AC? Cause I'd like to do dungeons, but AC felt ridiculous what with the "Oh yeah, remember your hitpoint bar? LIGHTNING FIELD! It's gone now." and King Aedelbergs black hole capabilities.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

So, me and 4 other guys finally beat the Ascalonian Catacombs (Which gave a nice lump of XP and gold). However by the end of it our group guardian/elementalist both had all their armor broken and we just zerg rushed King Aedelberg spamming every ability we had before respawning at the waypoint to swarm him again. Are all dungeons this hard or only the AC? Cause I'd like to do dungeons, but AC felt ridiculous what with the "Oh yeah, remember your hitpoint bar? LIGHTNING FIELD! It's gone now." and King Aedelbergs black hole capabilities.
    They only get harder from there.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    They only get harder from there.
    In the grand scheme of things, Caudecus Manor is really easy, Twilight Arbor is pretty straightforward, Sorrow's Embrace is easy (except for one fight, which is ridiculously stupid), Citadel of Flames is really easy, Crucible of Eternity is obscenely difficult, Honor of the Waves is reasonable when it doesn't bug out, and Arah is a cakewalk.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

In the grand scheme of things, Caudecus Manor is really easy, Twilight Arbor is pretty straightforward, Sorrow's Embrace is easy (except for one fight, which is ridiculously stupid), Citadel of Flames is really easy, Crucible of Eternity is obscenely difficult, Honor of the Waves is reasonable when it doesn't bug out, and Arah is a cakewalk.
    If you have Vent, level 80 exotic tank spec gear, two guardians, and an elementalist for crowd control.

Then, yeah, sure, it's easy. Without any one of the above? No, it's not. I've tried the dungeons and always came out with less than I went in.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    If you have Vent, level 80 exotic tank spec gear, two guardians, and an elementalist for crowd control.

Then, yeah, sure, it's easy. Without any one of the above? No, it's not. I've tried the dungeons and always came out with less than I went in.
    I did most of these at the appropriate level with pick up groups, wearing mostly greens and blues, without any issues. Group composition was usually pretty balanced, with more squishies than plate wearers. I don't think I ever did any of these with more than one warrior or guardian, none of which were level 80s in full Exotics at the time.

The dungeons in this game are either ridiculously easy, or in a few rare instances, near impossible to complete within a three hour time span because the trash is ridiculous, or the boss mobs have some sort of secret 1-hit AoE move that isn't made clear at all during the course of the fight.

I haven't ever come out losing money from a dungeon though. If you're having trouble, perhaps it might be worth taking a few minutes before you start each pull discussing strategy (using Call/Assist target is really helpful too), and if you wipe on that pull, perhaps discuss what went wrong, and how to fix it?

20. - Top - End - #770
    Firbolg in the Playground

and I must say, I´m about done with dungeons in gw2, the trash packs are way way too powerful while the """bosses""" are well in comparison pretty easy really.

Anet in my opinion has it completely backwards (as have many mmos before), the trash should be there to make you feel heroic and only should pose a real threat when they come in huge numbers (makes you feel even more heroic) or when they have prepared a cunning trap, they should never have more hitpoints, better abilities or be immune to almost anything you can do.
    1-The whole instance should be a challenge, trash and bosses, not just one or the other. In reality they should leave the trash as is and buff up the bosses a notch or two.
    2-Easy trash followed by challenging boss creates a sort of 'cruise control' mentality where people turn their brains off for the trash, and then tend to get spanked by the boss as a result.
    3-If I can kill 10 guys without having to work for it, were any one of them a challenge for me? Probably not. So what exactly is heroic about killing 10 guys who are not a challenge?
    4-Get better. Work better as a team.
    5-Good Luck!
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-09-27 at 04:34 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #771
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, my computer difficulties seem to have been worked out, within a month (few weeks likely) I'll be set up and ready to play, just I've been doing my reading on the game, and noticed that it seems to do away with the "MMO trinity" quite nicely (as advertised) but that does beg the question... what roles do the different classes fill? Or is everyone about as good as everyone else at everything, with just differing approaches? If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Orc in the Playground

IMO it is mainly if you're prepared for how the dungeons work. My first run I ate around 5 deaths and 10 downs. I re-evaluated how I did things, my traits and gear, and then on my second run through I had 0 deaths and 3 downs.

Things I did between the two runs (was in my 30s for both):
    1. I went 10 in the toughness and 10 in the vitality traits.
    2. I made half my gear +toughness and/or +vitality.
    3. I kept in mind my access to blind and weakness and would spam those on silver mobs. For all mobs I kept in mind any access to blocks or evasive abilities I had. If I was in melee I made sure that the first hit would be negated by some defensive ability.

You don't need to go that defensive for AC but it will be a night and day difference to my mostly glass cannon build and it could give you an idea where a happy medium is for survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    Well, my computer difficulties seem to have been worked out, within a month (few weeks likely) I'll be set up and ready to play, just I've been doing my reading on the game, and noticed that it seems to do away with the "MMO trinity" quite nicely (as advertised) but that does beg the question... what roles do the different classes fill? Or is everyone about as good as everyone else at everything, with just differing approaches? If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.
    Mainly differing approaches. Every profession has access to support of some sort, every profession can bring some amount of damage. In anything difficult you'll probably be doing both. So much depends on traits and selected powers. A necromancer or thief can cause all non-boss mobs to do nearly 0 damage for large chunks of time thanks to chain blinds. A warrior cannot really chain blind but can give fairly sizable buffs to almost every stat for the party through throwing down long lasting banners, something the necro or thief could not do. All three could say "screw support" and do massive AE damage if they wanted to or do some of both.
    Last edited by illyrus; 2012-09-28 at 12:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

As illyrus said, each profession has some sort of utility. Some damage is mandatory for everyone. Guardians have defensive boons, Warriors have offensive ones, pet classes make fake targets for enemies, casters have lots of AoE, Thief Engi and Necro have lots of conditions. Then it's up to the specific builds.

So, I took a look at how to make a legendary weapon...

No way. A rare drop to begin with, 120g+, 1 MILLION karma, 100% world completion, two maxed crafting professions, 3-400 skill points, and STACKS of the rarest crafting mats. And more. Holy bleepin' wow. It's comparable to GWAMM, for those who played the original.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Which Mesmer healing skill do you guys think is best? I've been using Mantra of Recovery for a while, but I'm not sure if it's better than Ether Feast. And I haven't tried Mirror yet.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Banned

To expand on what they both said, the three roles are:
    • Support: Giving Boons [buffs] to the party, tossing a little healing now and then [not the same as being a "healer" at all], dropping combo fields, debuffing enemies [stripping boons], generally making the party better and the foes worse.
    • Control: Hard CC such as stuns, knockdowns, etc. Soft CC such as blinds, cripple, chill, etc. [confusion would be in this category for PvP/WvW]
    • Damage

One thing that neither of them mentioned was party make up. When you enter a dungeon, you can bring literally any five professions with you. The professions don't matter. What matters is the design of the party. You need to make sure at least one player is spec'ed for Control, and at least one players is spec'ed for Support, and at least one player has enough HP/Toughness that he can take a few hits if the party needs to regroup [tank for a few moments when needed]. If you walk in with five DPS builds you're going to have a rough go of it. It won't be impossible, but it will be much harder than it needs to be.

This is the reason that people think a Guardian is required for Dungeons. It's not. But Guardian comes with enough inherent support/control/survivability that if you don't bother asking people what they've built for, the Guard can probably cover your bases for you at a minimum.
    Most people like to build for Damage [obviously] so the Guardian seems necessary in Dungeons when it really isn't.

I like to build my characters so that with nothing more than changing equipped weapons/gear/utilities/major-traits [which can be done anytime out of combat] I can switch from DPS to either support or control.
    Glass cannon 30-power/30-crit/10-whatever builds do not have this option.
    I usually build either 20 power or crit, and spread 20, 20, and 10 between the other three [or 15-20 offense / 30, 10-15, and 10 between the other three]. I take offensive/utility traits for general play, and almost always swap them for support/control/utility traits for Dungeons. This allows for massive flexibility at a moment's notice, while still offering offense.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-09-28 at 06:58 AM.

26. - Top - End - #776

ok, so in summary each class can do each role moderately well, and the roles are basically buffs/debuffs, damage, CC, and "I can tank a hit or two"?

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

Some classes perform the roles significantly better than others though.

Example: I can play a tanky thief if the opponents can be blinded. But against bosses with the Unshakeable buff, I'm going to get squished since I don't have any way of gaining Aegis/Protection or the like.

Similarly while Condition damage builds are strong individually and in small group content in large group content (DE's) you're going to deal significantly less damage since the bleed cap will get filled very quickly.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I find that the mesmer traits are overall rather disappointing. They're all either incredible niche, very weapon/build specific or outright awful.

Not to mention they're rather confusingly worded since they never really make it clear what is an illusion, what is a clone and what is a phantasm and more specifically which trait affects what.
    Still catching up on this thread so lots to read, but i HAD to comment on this.

I could not disagree more.

After a great deal of study and build evaluating for my Mesmer, i simply marvel at how well designed the Mesmer Traits are. There is stunning synergy secreted away in those trees, and, bieng one of the more complex classes to master, you need to invest a fair portion of time into understand ALL of those particular intricacies.

You can craft some horrific build options when you fully understand just what those traits do when put into particular combinations of weapons / utilities. Its just that those synergies are not as readily visible as some of ther more straight forward classes.

I love my mesmer and her traits, she is perfection.

As for skill descriptions, i dont see the issue. Every single one of the skills in the game has a tooltip that tells you EXACTLY what typoe of skill it is.

Clone skills have the "clone" tag in there tool tip
    Phantasms have the "phantasm" tag in there tool tip
    Glamour skills have the "glamour" tag in there tool tip

etc etc

(PS - both clones and phantasms are "illusions")

29. - Top - End - #779
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SanguisAevum View Post
    I love my mesmer and her traits, she is perfection.
    shr pls?! (DDO player might get the joke :) )

But really, would you share, and maybe a bit of detail why you selected them? My mesmer is a lv 60 staff condition/boon build, but I think I'm leaving some stuff on the table. Still trying to figure out a strong second set, using septer/torch now, but with the 20% reduction in staff skill CD, I really only swap to it in boss fights (where the confusion stacks really seem to hurt them).

30. - Top - End - #780

Also is this community organized in game? Do we have a server that has more activity? Any guilds?